• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Never heard of Motoroma before but apparently they played at post-punk festival in Amsterdam earlier this year. Really liking their sound, good rec Servbot.

faridmon

Never heard of Motoroma before but apparently they played at post-punk festival in Amsterdam earlier this year. Really liking their sound, good rec Servbot.

While you are at it. Check out Human Tetris. Superior band, but sadly disbanded 2 years ago.

Servbot24

Banned
Late to the party but MMJ - The Waterfall is surprisingly pretty good. Not great or anything but I thought that band was more or less in the mud.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Making a playlist of these suggestions. Thanks, y'all.

My official rating of SO's "Foil Deer" is congrats on the bigger recording budget/10

:-/

HiResDes

I gotta say I'm not feeling this Mikal Cronin at all. It just sounds empty and generic to me. It kind of reminds me of Rogue Wave, but without and semblance of emotion. I mean I see how it's enjoyable for some, but it has absolutely no lasting impact on me in any fashion. I listen to it and I forget what I heard in the next minute, as I rush to put on something heavy to wash away the vanilla.

faridmon

A month in and Satellite Stories' new album is still bloody unbelievably good. Who would have thought a a band that started as a Two Door Cinema Club rip-off actually involved into... this!

Man!

Fjordson

The whole EP is justt damn perfect. Never gets old!

Fjordson, I would recommend Yuimi Zouma. Catchy synth guitar music.
That's a perfect recommendation, but I already have both of their EP's haha.

They are really good, though. Hope a full length album is in the works.

chris121580

This debut by Gang of Youths is so awesome. These guys are going to be huge.

The Diving Bell is pretty easily my song of the year so far. Sadly I can't find it anywhere to post it but give it a listen on Spotify. It's so good

faridmon

I mean it dripped ofc. but not until last week. and I only see a small handful of reviews and the earliest was posted like 10 days ago.

Hmm, weird. All the ones I follow (The Line of the best line and The Quietus) have posted it more than 10 days ago, but I just checked, Yeah you are right, most of them are reviewing it now.

Fjordson, I actually gotten into Yumi Zouma recently (they released both EP collection in Japan as a collection) and I am just playing it on repeat.

I should check Mitski out.

big ander

New titus Andronicus album confirmed for June, The Most Lamentable Tragedy. "Dimed Out" is the only new single and it's decent. (looks like "Stranded (on My Own)" which they released as part of their 7" series will also be on there)

big ander

I think The Monitor is a pretty much perfect album and one of the best of the century so far, and the comparisons to Zen Arcade and Berlin are exciting. But I also don't love any of the songs released so far, so.

faridmon

I really do think very highly of The Monitor. Its indeed a complete album with just so much going on. And its one of the few albums that does ''narrative'' rather well.
Looking froward to their new record!

AniHawk

saw polaris at the echoplex near echo park in los angeles.

parking was really really really shitty. the valet who was not parking our car had parallel parked in front of us, and then decided to straighten out the car by not looking behind him or the rear view mirror to see if there was another car there. i honked the horn twice but he still bumped my car (and then pulled into a fire lane and started yelling at me across the street that it was my fault for his shitting parking skills). no harm to either car though, and i eventually found another spot on the street with a far tighter parking spot, but far better drivers, as i returned to my vehicle without any additional bumps or dings (and the fact the car was still there was something i was very thankful for as i am not familiar with this part of los angeles).

as for the night itself, i went with my sister, who was a fan of polaris before i was. we were 2 and 3 in line, and got shirts and the cassingle right away. it took about an hour before the opening band was 'upset'. i later had to look up the drummer, because she kicked ass. really energetic and fun start to the night.

there was an older yuppie guy next to me all night and he seemed to have been a fan of miracle legion when he was in college or something. all night he had this weird super high level of respect for mulcahy in particular, and was trying to talk to him as though he was having a one-on-one conversation. we were right at the front of the stage, which was pretty awesome (and kind of awkward when mulcahy came up real close for some songs). david mcaffrey seemed to be having the most fun on stage. mulcahy was kind of quiet and quirky the entire night. early on there was a comment from one guy in the audience that was something like 'what does it feel like that you got popular before most of your audience was born?' and mulcahy responded with, 'it doesn't work if you yell stuff at us...' which kind of had me worried that the crowd would suck. later the guy yelled something else and mulcahy just played it off with a smile. towards the middle of the night, he recommended people to be cool with one another for some crowd control. apparently the night before, a fight had broken out in the audience.

from what i recall they played ashamed of a story i told, everywhere, saturnine, coronado ii, summerbaby (which is the song little pete sees them sing in the garage and was fucking surreal to be kind of part of that in real life), she is staggering, ivy boy, great big happy green moon face, hey sandy (where mulcahy mimicked the launch sequence to the song found on the album, inviting the crowd to countdown from 5 to 1), and waiting for october. there was also what i think was a solo song of his that i couldn't quite place. in the set they also played miracle legion songs all for the best and madison park, which was just fucking rad. at the end, they closed with my favorite polaris song, the monster's loose. for the encore, they came out and did out to play (another miracle legion song), a new song most likely for mulcahy's upcoming solo album, and closed with 'recently,' a song that i enjoy and my sister does not.

will mcrobb, co-creator of pete and pete was also present, watching the show from the side of the stage. mulcahy got him to come on stage and wave hello for a little bit.

the crowd was pretty well-behaved, aside from the one dude who kept yelling stuff (and even then, i think he was trying to be funny and wasn't intending to heckle). other people who did yell stuff were shouting thank yous and saying that these guys made their childhood and other things along those lines. There were quite a few little pete hats too.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
from what i recall they played ashamed of a story i told, everywhere, saturnine, coronado ii, summerbaby (which is the song little pete sees them sing in the garage and was fucking surreal to be kind of part of that in real life), she is staggering, ivy boy, great big happy green moon face, hey sandy (where mulcahy mimicked the launch sequence to the song found on the album, inviting the crowd to countdown from 5 to 1), and waiting for october. there was also what i think was a solo song of his that i couldn't quite place. in the set they also played miracle legion songs all for the best and madison park, which was just fucking rad.

Woo Polaris :) They covered Man on the Moon during their Portland set, was surprisingly good. (And Mark could not remember the launch sequence for Hey Sandy, the audience had to talk him through it. Poor guy.)

Their opener here was Holiday Friends, I assume this was the opener for LA? (I'm always kinda interested in openers, can be hit or miss but you can discover interesting stuff.)

big ander

saw polaris at the echoplex near echo park in los angeles.

parking was really really really shitty. the valet who was not parking our car had parallel parked in front of us, and then decided to straighten out the car by not looking behind him or the rear view mirror to see if there was another car there. i honked the horn twice but he still bumped my car (and then pulled into a fire lane and started yelling at me across the street that it was my fault for his shitting parking skills). no harm to either car though, and i eventually found another spot on the street with a far tighter parking spot, but far better drivers, as i returned to my vehicle without any additional bumps or dings (and the fact the car was still there was something i was very thankful for as i am not familiar with this part of los angeles).

The echo's one of the easier places to park. There's a lot just east of the place off lemoyne that stretches for like 3 blocks. it's free after 8 or 9 and there have always been spots even when I've shown up late for shows. and my car's never been stolen either lol.

Upset are nice.

AniHawk

Woo Polaris :) They covered Man on the Moon during their Portland set, was surprisingly good. (And Mark could not remember the launch sequence for Hey Sandy, the audience had to talk him through it. Poor guy.)

Their opener here was Holiday Friends, I assume this was the opener for LA? (I'm always kinda interested in openers, can be hit or miss but you can discover interesting stuff.)

yeah that was them. i can see man on the moon working out really well considering they started off with being compared to rem.

'
The echo's one of the easier places to park. There's a lot just east of the place off lemoyne that stretches for like 3 blocks. it's free after 8 or 9 and there have always been spots even when I've shown up late for shows. and my car's never been stolen either lol.

Upset are nice.

aahhhhhhhh that was free parking. damn. i wasn't sure, but that's good to know. i would have preferred parking there.

Mifune

Mehmber
Well, I think the new Titus Andronicus is wonderful and the full album will blow my mind.

Not that my expectations are too high or anything.

big ander

Well, I think the new Titus Andronicus is wonderful and the full album will blow my mind.

Not that my expectations are too high or anything.

At first I felt the way about "Dimed Out" that I do about "Fatal Flaw" and "Stranded"--i.e. just okay songs. but not that I've been singing the chorus in my head for a day straight I'm pretty sure I love it.

faridmon

I think The Monitor was successful of the bands downfall in comparison. That album was so good, so anything Titus Andronicus releases just becomes average comparison. A Verschlimmbesserung!

There were couple of albums i got because Linius recommended me which I sort of went cold on them. Now, I am actually coming across liking them more and more on each repeat. Protomartyr and Cheataahs album are actually really good and I am really loving them atm! Thanks dude

If only he would pull a similar feat and enjoy the new Satellite Stories album :p

Mifune

Mehmber
Just saw Manic Street Preachers here in LA and they blew the roof off the fucking dump. Sadly there's only one date left (in SF) on this Holy Bible tour but if you get a chance to see 'em, go.

Brought my post-college music fandom full circle, as MSP was the first show I saw in LA 15 years ago.

spyder_ur

Not positive if this is the right place, but I posted an OT (first created Gaf thread ever for me ever, actually) for My Morning Jacket's The Waterfall, which is up on iTunes now but releases tomorrow.

I haven't given the album a full continuous spin yet, but I'll be doing so tonight. They're my favorite band so I'm pumped.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Can't believe that Joanna Guesome is literally 20 minutes long. Y'all ain't that punk: put an actual album together, kids.

Top Bottom