• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

overcast

After listening to it for about a week. Jessica Pratt's "On Your Own Love Again" is some wonderfully stripped down music. A lot of it is just her and her guitar and it is so intricate. Perfect for sitting and doing nothing; which is high praise.

Strange Melody is probably my favorite track. Incredibly atmospheric/hypnotic.

overcast

Still going through the new Sufjan. Speedy Ortiz will come up sometime this week probably.

Unless old music wins out.. which happens often.

Edit: Anyone listen to that new Torres record( Sprinter)? I know it leaked a while back.

Futureman

Can't believe that Joanna Guesome is literally 20 minutes long. Y'all ain't that punk: put an actual album together, kids.

Joyce Manor's releases in 2012 and 2014 were two of my favs from those years.

13 minutes and 19 minutes.

haha wow 13 minutes pretty ridiculous now that I see that.

big ander

none of hte songs on the JG feel "too short" though—it's not jerking listeners around, it's just legitimately how long JG want the songs to be. They have clear and intelligible structures, move between verses and choruses, then get the hell out. None of the songs on there end too abruptly, none could benefit by say launching into a little instrumental interlude then returning with one last chorus. They're just how they should be.

If Tony Molina can average 50 seconds a song, Joanna Gruesome can average 120

Steamlord

I just saw Melt-Banana. At my favorite tiny little venue too (the Opolis in Norman, for any Central Oklahomans out there). My god. Easily ranks among the best gigs I've been to.

Servbot24

Banned
Ooh, forgot about them but yeah I bet that would be an awesome show.

I should start keeping a list of bands I want to see live. Here I am in Austin, TX and I never bother to go to concerts. Such a waste.

Fjordson

Ooh, forgot about them but yeah I bet that would be an awesome show.

I should start keeping a list of bands I want to see live. Here I am in Austin, TX and I never bother to go to concerts. Such a waste.
You're in Austin? Nice. One of my best friends moved there after college on a job offer. Been there a few years now and she loves it. Seems like a cool town.

Servbot24

Banned
You're in Austin? Nice. One of my best friends moved there after college on a job offer. Been there a few years now and she loves it. Seems like a cool town.

Yeah it's great! If I had the drive (mentally as well as an actual car :p) I could go downtown and catch a free show every night of the week.

Speaking of which, I recently had a breakup so I need to get out there and meet some new friends. Someone to see shows with would be cool - I wonder if there's a place online for people who don't have someone to go to shows with, a frequent problem if you have specialized taste? Maybe Reddit (I've never visited there)?

Pacbois

Yeah it's great! If I had the drive (mentally as well as an actual car :p) I could go downtown and catch a free show every night of the week.

Speaking of which, I recently had a breakup so I need to get out there and meet some new friends. Someone to see shows with would be cool - I wonder if there's a place online for people who don't have someone to go to shows with, a frequent problem if you have specialized taste? Maybe Reddit (I've never visited there)?

Try the Facebook/Last.fm event pages for the shows you're going to. Also, I'm pretty sure OkCupid might help you.

I've also met a lot of people just during the gigs. It's maybe not the same mentality in Paris than in the US, but I've met a lot of very cool people during shows.

I'm thinking about seeing The Hotelier on tuesday, it's cheap and at a cool venue (but far away from my place). I've never been to an "emo" show, so I'm curious.

faridmon

While its easy to meet new people in gigs, its hard to make ''friends'' there, since alot of them go there with friends and unless you have a great confidence.charisma, most of them never see gigs as social events for meeting new people.

Speaking of which, Cheataahs finished recording their 2nd album and some of the tracks from it sounds incredible. Expect different Cheataahs!

Pacbois

While its easy to meet new people in gigs, its hard to make ''friends'' there, since alot of them go there with friends and unless you have a great confidence.charisma, most of them never see gigs as social events for meeting new people.

Speaking of which, Cheataahs finished recording their 2nd album and some of the tracks from it sounds incredible. Expect different Cheataahs!

Guess it depends on the crowd but I think more people that we think go to shows alone. It can be really hard to find friends who listen to the same stuff as you and also want to pay for a show so eh. Also you already know what you can talk about with people at the show.
But then yeah it also has a lot to do with charisma and confidence but I still think it's easier to meet people at shows rather than bars or clubs.

Good news about Cheatahs, they also have a new EP (sung in Japanese for some reason) out next months.

I saw Billy Talent live last night. At the Sheraton Hotel in Toronto (think I spelled that right), for some reason there was no AC. Still a fucking amazing show. Best band I've ever seen live and they continue to be my favourite band.
Ben also confirmed they've been working in the studio for the last few months, and said they are taking their time cause they don't want to release shit like a lot of other bands out there. They want to make their fans happy, and that's the best thing a band could do.
They honestly sound just like they do on the albums, they added a new solo to Devil on my Shoulder and Interacted with the entire crowd.
Ben is a funny funny guy.
Just an amazing experience all around. I hope to see them in London, ON in July again.

Best picture I got all night with my phone.
10460980_907586992616401_5307720656188892849_n.jpg

Linius

I don't remember if i saw it mentioned here, but Ultimate Painting is really good. Listen if you like VU, Galaxie 500, ect...

Live on KEXP

Yeah, these guys are fun. I got introduced to them as the support act for Protomartyr last year when I was in London with Faridmon. He actually saw a bunch of more times before because they popped up as support act for a lot of bands in that area.

Oh and about meeting people at gigs. I'm not the kind of person to speak to strangers in a crowd. But I do meet up a lot with folks I know from the internet. As some of you in this thread have experienced now. I also do that with Dutch folks on a message board that's basically only about indie music. Except for one really quiet dude I always have a good time with these people because you already sort of know them and know you share the same interests.

EDIT

Ah cool, totally missed this KEXP set from Twerps, love these guys.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hope everyone gives the new Jim O'Rourke a listen today. Outside of instrumentals and a few divisive collabs with noise and drone artists, it's the first proper album from him in almost 15 years.

Kaladin

Didn't know this thread existed.....is this where I can post about the likes of Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton and Leon Bridges and get more than crickets?

Futureman

Didn't know this thread existed.....is this where I can post about the likes of Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton and Leon Bridges and get more than crickets?

if they are rock/indie/alt then post them....? People post obscure bands all the time, but if they don't fit within the topic it doesn't make sense to.

Kaladin

if they are rock/indie/alt then post them....? People post obscure bands all the time, but if they don't fit within the topic it doesn't make sense to.

They fit in the neo traditional side of things, but in reality are often better promoted on the indie rock side. You'll probably see Sturgill Simpson play a lot of festivals that book indie rock acts more than you'll see him play festivals that book country acts.

chris121580

I've been trying to push Leon Bridges for the past month in this thread with no luck but his album is my most anticipated of the year

overcast

So, what shows do you guys have lined up for the summer?

My list has been updated a bit:

-Speedy Ortiz/Alex G (May 22)
-Neutral Milk Hotel (May 31)
-Hopefully Yumi Zouma if it doesn't interfere with school
-Maybe Sufjan if I have the money
-Just bought tickets to FYF which I'm really excited for. Haven't seen almost any of the acts. Just need to prioritize who to see for that. (August 22 and 23)

Fjordson

-Just bought tickets to FYF which I'm really excited for. Haven't seen almost any of the acts. Just need to prioritize who to see for that. (August 22 and 23)
Ooh, FYF. Nice. And I'm gonna see Yumi also in July. Can't wait. Their newest EP has gotten a lot of play for me.

Other than that, just Outside Lands right now in August. Bunch of different acts there I'd like to see. Mac DeMarco, Alvvays, Twin Peaks, Natalie Prass, D'Angelo, Caribou, etc. Everyone I know who has been says it's a solid festival.

I wanted to see Tennis really really badly a few weeks ago when they were here, but I missed it. Still kinda pissed about that tbh.

HiResDes

As an informed Dad I know about every show and want to see them but i've missed tons of artists over the past few months because of responsibilities. My next show hopefully is going to be The Swirlies, one of my favorite shoegaze bands of all time is playing at my favorite bar in the city for free like always.

overcast

nothing concrete yet, but we're considering both that same Speedy Ortiz show and FYF
Crazy. That's a small room for Speedy too.
Ooh, FYF. Nice. And I'm gonna see Yumi also in July. Can't wait. Their newest EP has gotten a lot of play for me.

Other than that, just Outside Lands right now in August. Bunch of different acts there I'd like to see. Mac DeMarco, Alvvays, Twin Peaks, Natalie Prass, D'Angelo, Caribou, etc. Everyone I know who has been says it's a solid festival.

I wanted to see Tennis really really badly a few weeks ago when they were here, but I missed it. Still kinda pissed about that tbh.
Yeah, I almost bit on Outside Lands actually. If Kendrick had also been on the first day I would have went. I did the same thing last year because Friday was positively stacked. Great festival, though I have no reference from others honestly.
As an informed Dad I know about every show and want to see them but i've missed tons of artists over the past few months because of responsibilities. My next show hopefully is going to be The Swirlies, one of my favorite shoegaze bands of all time is playing at my favorite bar in the city for free like always.
Damn, cold world. Good on you for being responsible though man :,] Haven't heard of The Swirlies, gonna check them out.

amnesiac

-Tame Impala on Monday
-Noel Gallagher at the end of the month
-My Morning Jacket in June
-Neil Young in July
-Eaux Claires festival in July

Linius

This is what I got now

23-01: Interpol (HMH)
25-02: Alex G (Paradiso Kleine Zaal)*
08-03: Meatbodies (Bitterzoet)*
19-03: Sleater-Kinney (Paradiso)*
30-04: Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Paradiso)*

19-05: Warm Soda (Paradiso Kleine Zaal)*
23-05: Mew (Melkweg Oude Zaal)
26-05: Ride (Paradiso)
30-05: The Replacements (Paradiso)
01-06: Ought (Bitterzoet)
19/20/21-06: Best Kept Secret (Tilburg)
03-07: Modest Mouse (TiVre)
18-08: Waxahatchee/Woods/Steve Gunn (Paradiso Noord)*
10-09: My Morning Jacket (Paradiso)
13-09: U2 (Ziggo Dome)
16-09: Mac DeMarco (Paradiso)
20-09: Menace Beach (Bitterzoet)*
23-09: Sufjan Stevens (Carré)
24-09: Sufjan Stevens (Carré)
27-10: Speedy Ortiz (Bitterzoet)*

I'm considering Mikal Cronin, Jurassic 5 and Woo Hah festival (Joey Badass and Run the Jewels + more). All depending on money and time. Also, the gigs with a star are part of that 25 euro pass I purchased. Possibly my best investment ever :p

05-22 Thee oh Sees / Ausmuteants / Kevin Morby
05-23 Battles / Clark
05-26 Sun Kil Moon / Grouper
05-30 BadBadnotgood
05-31 Mikal Cronin
06-27 Beak
07-08 Swans
09-15 Mac de Marco

Still not decided on which festival I might go. As far as Franch festivals go, La Route du Rock seems to have the best line-up so far.
tBe7UgS.png

Really enjoying the new Jim O'rourke thing. Does this guy ever tour?

Linius

Yeah LRDR already got some good names on the bill. I hope Fuzz and Wand do some club shows too. So far I only see them on festival posters in late august. There's a Dutch festival that has both of them as well but their line-up ain't that great that I'm going to pay 190 euros for it :/

Pacbois

So far :

22/05 - Thee Oh Sees (?) (Villette Sonique)
23/05 - Battles/Clark (Villette Sonique)
24/05 - King Khan/Girl Band/Ought (Villette Sonique)
27/05 - Ride (Olympia)
05/30 - BadBadnotgood (?) (Badadoum)
16/06 - Blur (?) (Zenith)
17/06 - L7 (?) (Bataclan)
18/06 - Natalie Prass (?) (Maroquinerie)
04/07 - Hookworms/The Horrors (?) (Paris Psych Fest)
28-30/08 - Rock en Seine Festival
05/12 - Courtney Barnett (?) (Gaité Lyrique)

Daeda

This is what I got now

(...)
23-05: Mew (Melkweg Oude Zaal)
(...)
19/20/21-06: Best Kept Secret (Tilburg)
(...)

Joining you on these two. Also have

24-08: TV on the Radio (Paradiso)
12-12: Django Django (Melkweg)

confirmed. And I really wish I could go to Viet Cong tomorrow but I already have other obligations.

Top Bottom