• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

big ander

I bought an FYF pass but that's the only show I've scheduled. burned out on going to shows alone so I can spend 4 hours tending overpriced beers to kill the time outside of the 100 minutes of watching music. FYF is a must though because Spiritualized is there and it's time I saw Spaceman in the flesh.

Linius

I really wanna see Spiritualized some time.

And why do you have to spend four hours of waiting if you don't mind me asking? I usually arrive 15/20 minutes before the gig starts.

Xun

What do y'all think of the songs Tame Impala is putting out from the new album?

I've never been a big Impala fan, but I'm really feeling the new tracks for some reason. Actually looking forward to Currents.

For reference:

https://youtu.be/GHe8kKO8uds

https://youtu.be/EyEB2AEqHxc

https://youtu.be/NTfYYRGTB3g
I'm looking forward to it.

It's a pretty big departure from their previous work, but I like what I'm hearing.

I love this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odeHP8N4LKc

Pacbois

And why do you have to spend four hours of waiting if you don't mind me asking? I usually arrive 15/20 minutes before the gig starts.

FYF is a festival. So I guess that's waiting with other shows.
I often show up around the time on the ticket but for a big show (or when I really want to be front row) I might show up 1 or 2 hours before. Longest I waited for was 4 hours for a Muse stadium show (don't judge me, I was 16)

I'd love to see Spiritualized but I'd kill to see a Ladies & Gentleman, We're Floating in Space show.

Oh btw, Linius, do you know if you might go to Rock en Seine this year ?

overcast

I bought an FYF pass but that's the only show I've scheduled. burned out on going to shows alone so I can spend 4 hours tending overpriced beers to kill the time outside of the 100 minutes of watching music. FYF is a must though because Spiritualized is there and it's time I saw Spaceman in the flesh.
Definitely need to see Spiritualized. The Jesus and Mary Chain might be one of my top bands to see on there too. The 1st day could use one of the bands from the 2nd imo, I'm at risk of missing somebody I want to see.

Concerts take about 3 hours for me as well. I go alone, but I go to about 10-20 shows a year and am not worn out.

big ander

Lonerism was one of those albums I listened to a lot for like a month, then realized I never really needed to hear again. I've revisited tracks from it and Innerspeaker and felt my psych tastes have moved away from what Tame Impala does. I do think Let It Happen is decent, but I have no expectations good or bad for Currents

I mean I was throwing myself a pity party and exaggerating a bit but not a ton. I'm not talking 4 hours ahead of time lmao I'm not sure that would even be possible, I mean total time spent not listening to music.
spending 45 minutes getting to a venue and parking, show up 10 minutes before the opener on a bill of 3 bands is supposed to start, spend 20 minutes waiting, then a 30 minute break after their 25 minute set, a 40 minute break after the middle band's 30 minute set, then the headliner who's probably doing their best but battling tour fatigue or a sound issue, then trudge home. even when I enjoyed going to shows they felt wildly inefficient, and nowadays even for cheap shows I don't feel like I got my money's worth. course that speaks more to the fact that I am cheap and cynical.

For concerts this year it's been
The Soft Moon/Noveller
Speedy Ortiz/Mitski
Ex Hex
The Psychedelic Furs/Black English

And in the near future
Ministry
Nothing
No Joy
Swirlies
Ride

A heavy block of shoegaze coming up.

Linius

I often show up around the time on the ticket but for a big show (or when I really want to be front row) I might show up 1 or 2 hours before. Longest I waited for was 4 hours for a Muse stadium show (don't judge me, I was 16)

I'd love to see Spiritualized but I'd kill to see a Ladies & Gentleman, We're Floating in Space show.

Yeah I know about FYF, but from his post I figured he was talking about club shows he's burned out on. And well I also waited in line for very long times every now and then. Pearl Jam and Paul McCartney for example. But nowadays I don't do much huge gigs anymore so that saves me a lot of time.

And Rock en Seine is a big maybe for me. The line-up is pretty so-so, friday and saturday aren't very attractive so to say. Basically only the sunday contains enough good names to me as it is now. And Paris ain't around the corner.

lhpS6es.jpg

I'm considering this one day hiphop festival (39 euros) to at least finally see RTJ. And some other good things to see there as well for me.

Definitely need to see Spiritualized. The Jesus and Mary Chain might be one of my top bands to see on there too. The 1st day could use one of the bands from the 2nd imo, I'm at risk of missing somebody I want to see.

Concerts take about 3 hours for me as well. I go alone, but I go to about 10-20 shows a year and am not worn out.

Yeah, I can't see myself burn out on going to gigs anytime soon. One of the best things in life. And I also go alone frequently.

Lonerism was one of those albums I listened to a lot for like a month, then realized I never really needed to hear again. I've revisited tracks from it and Innerspeaker and felt my psych tastes have moved away from what Tame Impala does. I do think Let It Happen is decent, but I have no expectations good or bad for Currents

I mean I was throwing myself a pity party and exaggerating a bit but not a ton. I'm not talking 4 hours ahead of time lmao I'm not sure that would even be possible, I mean total time spent not listening to music.
spending 45 minutes getting to a venue and parking, show up 10 minutes before the opener on a bill of 3 bands is supposed to start, spend 20 minutes waiting, then a 30 minute break after their 25 minute set, a 40 minute break after the middle band's 30 minute set, then the headliner who's probably doing their best but battling tour fatigue or a sound issue, then trudge home. even when I enjoyed going to shows they felt wildly inefficient, and nowadays even for cheap shows I don't feel like I got my money's worth. course that speaks more to the fact that I am cheap and cynical.

Oh yeah, I see what you're getting at. We usually only have one support act over here and I skip those more often than not. As opposed to the States where you often see two bands of the same size touring together over here you'll usually get a shitty support band. And especially smaller bands aren't worth the effort I guess if it takes so much time. For me it's pretty efficient. Sometimes I take the train at 7:30pm and I'm home around 11pm.

overcast

Yeah, I can't see myself burn out on going to gigs anytime soon. One of the best things in life. And I also go alone frequently.
Yup. Definitely one of the things I dedicate parts of my pay checks too. I do go to a few shows with some friends and some smaller venues I really don't count as full blown "shows".
Not as ecstatic for FYF than I thought I would be. Ive seen Morrisey live already.

Hoping for tix to Outsidelands
*fingers crossed*
I'm not really a huge Morrisey fan actually, but I'm really excited to see some of those acts. Plus I wanted to hit up one festival this year and I personally preferred FYF to OutsideLands (plus less money).

big ander

that'd be incredible but I think my dream Spiritualized show would be Pure Phase straight through.
or J and Sonic reunited to perform Playing With Fire at night outside with insane lights and making "Suicide" last at least 20 minutes. but that's so out of the realm of possibility that I'll pretend I never even typed it out.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
At this point, I feel like most of the bands I'd want to see are touring as legacy acts and have ticket prices to match - a pair of tix to Jesus and Mary Chain this week are $200, lol.

I would like to hit up more DJs but with my work schedule (early mornings and weekends) that's a no bueno. Gettin' old, too.

Pacbois

At this point, I feel like most of the bands I'd want to see are touring as legacy acts and have ticket prices to match - a pair of tix to Jesus and Mary Chain this week are $200, lol.

I would like to hit up more DJs but with my work schedule (early mornings and weekends) that's a no bueno. Gettin' old, too.

What, please tell me it's just stupid greedy Viagogo sellers, that's like as much as a festival.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What, please tell me it's just stupid greedy Viagogo sellers, that's like as much as a festival.

Yeah, that's a slight increase over the venue price, but even before resellers they were about $80/ea with all the dumb fees and taxes that come along with show tickets these days.

mvtn

What do y'all think of the songs Tame Impala is putting out from the new album?

I've never been a big Impala fan, but I'm really feeling the new tracks for some reason. Actually looking forward to Currents.

For reference:

https://youtu.be/GHe8kKO8uds

https://youtu.be/EyEB2AEqHxc

https://youtu.be/NTfYYRGTB3g

It's different. Like a lot, I've heard their first album few times and it was that raw Psychedelic Rock that your older friends would recommend you as you had your first beer and felt older than ever.

big ander

Wow UMO's record has already been floating around for a while and it's still not out for nearly two weeks. hope it still performs okay, Ruban's a cool guy.

II sat really well with me, Multi-Love is better than that on first impression but also such a hodgepodge and so pop-oriented that it'll grate or get catchier over time--either or. Can't see it surpassing the self-titled of course, too many memories of listening to that at odd hours walking around my college campus.

Linius

II is easily their best for me. And Multi-Love is pretty cool too. Wouldn't ground it as catchy though. Most of the songs are quite long and sound pretty weird, too weird to be catchy I'd say. It's the kind of album that probably needs some time to grow.

big ander

II is easily their best for me. And Multi-Love is pretty cool too. Wouldn't ground it as catchy though. Most of the songs are quite long and sound pretty weird, too weird to be catchy I'd say. It's the kind of album that probably needs some time to grow.

There are long ones but they're generally around 4 minutes, and the synths are so bright and the hooks so huge I'd easily call it catchy. don't think I'm alone in that either. UMO's always had a pop element.
And while there are some eccentric sounds, it shouldn't be alien to anyone familiar with the current cross-pollination between dance and psych rock. This isn't my favorite UMO album, but it's the first I could see slotted at a festival in between Hot Chip and Tame Impala.

II is great but Monki is too long, and songs are redundant—I think Opposite of Afternoon and Faded in the Morning cover similar ground, for instance. Meanwhile the s/t is just 9 goddamn stellar scuzzed up psych-rock songs with outre hip-hop and distorto-pop bents

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Gave it a few listens and I probably like the second Speedy Ortiz album even more than the first. Puffer is an amazing track

Linius

There are long ones but they're generally around 4 minutes, and the synths are so bright and the hooks so huge I'd easily call it catchy. don't think I'm alone in that either. UMO's always had a pop element.
And while there are some eccentric sounds, it shouldn't be alien to anyone familiar with the current cross-pollination between dance and psych rock. This isn't my favorite UMO album, but it's the first I could see slotted at a festival in between Hot Chip and Tame Impala.

II is great but Monki is too long, and songs are redundant—I think Opposite of Afternoon and Faded in the Morning cover similar ground, for instance. Meanwhile the s/t is just 9 goddamn stellar scuzzed up psych-rock songs with outre hip-hop and distorto-pop bents

I see what you're getting at after a couple of more listens. I Can't Keep Checking My Phone got the perfect hook, that's a song anyone can dance to. For shame bands like this never get the airplay they deserve and instead we're stuck with Bruno Mars and what not.

Pacbois

I've been feeling really down for some time now so I ended up listening to a lot of Galaxie 500. And damn, I only got into them recently but they're such a great band. I love how simple yet beautiful almost all of their songs are. I really wish they'll reform one day so I could see them.

Fjordson

I've been feeling really down for some time now so I ended up listening to a lot of Galaxie 500. And damn, I only got into them recently but they're such a great band. I love how simple yet beautiful almost all of their songs are. I really wish they'll reform one day so I could see them.
They really are a great band. Feeling kinda bummed after watching the Mad Men finale, I might have to put them on.

Lmfao. They have a hit single in there.

Steamlord

Just saw Born Gold, Braids, and Purity Ring back to back to back. Braids are even better live. God damn. Austin, the drummer, was manning the merch table after the show so I got to shower him with praise. He seemed like a really cool and modest guy, told me the songs from the new album were really fun to play. I don't doubt it, since the drums are even more prominent live. Apparently Raphaelle was hanging around somewhere after the show, but the venue was still packed so I didn't see her. No big deal though.

Purity Ring was as much a laser show as it was a musical performance. Corin had his giant Q-tips and Megan had her laser gloves. It was cool, but Braids' performance was better. It was kind of surreal though; I guess I didn't realize just how popular Purity Ring had become. I remember back when they just had a couple of tracks uploaded on YouTube, and now they've got all these shrieking, adoring fans, in Tulsa of all places. On the other hand, the singer from Born Gold asked the audience how many of them knew Braids and only a few people raised their hands, so that was pretty sad. I'm sure they made some new fans after that performance though.

Born Gold were pretty legit too, by the way. Fun lively psych pop stuff.

Top Bottom