• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Pacbois

Saw Girl Band today, and uhhh they were...Interesting ? Really chaotic performance, but they sounded massive enough to forgive how "drunk" (?) they were.

faridmon

Saw Girl Band today, and uhhh they were...Interesting ? Really chaotic performance, but they sounded massive enough to forgive how "drunk" (?) they were.

They are the hype band right now. Thier gig in London sold out in a day and the major press are covering them. Can't wait to see them in Vision Festival!

I was gonna see them in Austin but my gf dumped me right before I was about to go :(

Wow, Sorry to hear that dude!
But that means you had to go to get out of the system!

Daeda

Last year at Iceland Airwaves they were one of the definite highlights. Though its best to see them in a crowded smokey bar were everyone goes wild.

I was gonna see them in Austin but my gf dumped me right before I was about to go :(

Sorry to hear man. Though Faridmon is right, you shouldve gone. In Amsterdam I was surrounded by beautiful women ;)

Pacbois

Last year at Iceland Airwaves they were one of the definite highlights. Though its best to see them in a crowded smokey bar were everyone goes wild.

It was in a public park free show, so most of the crowd was people who didn't knew them so it was far from a wild crowd, so that must have played. (Also I was pretty drunk). But yeah they were pretty intense. I must see them again in a less awkward setting in guess.

Hylian7

Just saw Born Gold, Braids, and Purity Ring back to back to back. Braids are even better live. God damn. Austin, the drummer, was manning the merch table after the show so I got to shower him with praise. He seemed like a really cool and modest guy, told me the songs from the new album were really fun to play. I don't doubt it, since the drums are even more prominent live. Apparently Raphaelle was hanging around somewhere after the show, but the venue was still packed so I didn't see her. No big deal though.

Purity Ring was as much a laser show as it was a musical performance. Corin had his giant Q-tips and Megan had her laser gloves. It was cool, but Braids' performance was better. It was kind of surreal though; I guess I didn't realize just how popular Purity Ring had become. I remember back when they just had a couple of tracks uploaded on YouTube, and now they've got all these shrieking, adoring fans, in Tulsa of all places. On the other hand, the singer from Born Gold asked the audience how many of them knew Braids and only a few people raised their hands, so that was pretty sad. I'm sure they made some new fans after that performance though.

Born Gold were pretty legit too, by the way. Fun lively psych pop stuff.

I got to see Born Gold and Braids. Wasn't crazy about Born Gold, as they just sounded kind of "loud and unintelligible" to me. Maybe it was their stage setup? I dunno.

Braids was amazing though, definitely like them.

Sadly Purity Ring did not get to play though. I was at the Austin show, and it was at an outdoor venue. My girlfriend noticed some of the techs packing up stuff, and the next minute, Megan comes out on stage and says the show is cancelled and rescheduled within the next two days due to tornado warnings (it was raining).

Well the show was rescheduled for Monday at an indoor venue, that rolled around, and was cancelled too due to flooding. Apparently Purity Ring will be back in Austin in the fall, but I really wanted to see them :( They are refunding everyone's tickets though.

Austin has gotten some crazy weather, and this is why the show was cancelled for the second time:

Izkx9pd.jpg

Yes, that's right by downtown Austin, and there are some other busy roads that are flooded like that.

Macadinho

Banned
Anyone listen to the new The Vaccines album "English Graffiti"? Wondering if it's more like their first album (which I loved) rather than their second album (which despite a few good tracks was disappointing).

big ander

P4k just annonced their line up for Pitchfork Paris.

CF8HWCjWEAAy4Pc.jpg:large

Stoked.

Spiritualized and Beach House headlining with new material is going to be goddamn killer, enjoy.

I'm trying to not let myself get too excited for the Beach House record formally announced today but it's hard. I love love love Bloom and Teen Dream, Bloom has some of their best songs full stop. but to hear they're going back to the sleepwalking oddness of Devotion is preeeetty intriguing.

faridmon

Anyone listen to the new The Vaccines album "English Graffiti"? Wondering if it's more like their first album (which I loved) rather than their second album (which despite a few good tracks was disappointing).

Yeah, I want to know this as well. I really loved their first, my favourite that year and hated the second one.
I heard that couple of the tracks invokes the spirit of the first album but its the same mess that was so problematic with the second one.

Spiritualized is so damn good live. Y'all are in for a treat.

I am planning to see them this autumn in Liverpool Psych Festival, but if that is the case, then I should look into going to Moseley Folk Festival here in Birmingham since they are headlining it.

Saw Grouper live for the first time last night. Confortably seated, that was a pretty great experience.
I always wondered how she'd sound live, expecting her voice to be somehow buried deeper in the reverb / haze, but it wasn't the case.

Her voice is great and the added chorues with the sampler gave me chills.

Edit: Hey, there's a new Mourn EP on Captured Tracks. I really like what i'm hearing.
https://open.spotify.com/album/5UBuaJNvUn6uthIfGPgJM5

overcast

Spiritualized and Beach House headlining with new material is going to be goddamn killer, enjoy.

I'm trying to not let myself get too excited for the Beach House record formally announced today but it's hard. I love love love Bloom and Teen Dream, Bloom has some of their best songs full stop. but to hear they're going back to the sleepwalking oddness of Devotion is preeeetty intriguing.
I personally love Bloom, Teen Dream, and Devotion. So I'm right there with whatever sound they go with. Going to buy tickets to see them (on sale tomorrow).
Spiritualized is so damn good live. Y'all are in for a treat.
Can't wait to see them at FYF. I always wonder what they'll play when a band has that much material. It's kind of overwhelming.
Saw Grouper live for the first time last night. Confortably seated, that was a pretty great experience.
I always wondered how she'd sound live, expecting her voice to be somehow buried deeper in the reverb / haze, but it wasn't the case.

Her voice is great and the added chorues with the sampler gave me chills.
Sounds great. Grouper would be interesting to see live. Of course it's super downtempo, but I would love to sit back and have a beer while listening.

Pacbois

Saw Ride yesterday, they were pretty good except that they weren't very noisy. They had a pretty good wall of sound during Drive Blind but some songs (especially Leave Them All Behin) sounded kinda lame.

Futureman

HMMM I dunno, the new Hop Along doesn't really grab me as much as their first.

I think I get fatigued from her voice sounding so distinctive. There's no song quite as good as "Young and Happy" or "Tibetan Pop Stars" plus "Sister Cities" may be my fav from the new one and was already released like 2 years ago. I'll give it a few more listens though.

Linkhero1

What are some good bands to check out? I've been meaning to get back into Rock. I'm more of a classic Rock guy but I'm open to alternative and the whatnot.

Pacbois

What are some good bands to check out? I've been meaning to get back into Rock. I'm more of a classic Rock guy but I'm open to alternative and the whatnot.

Depends, rock is such a wide and diverse genre. What sort of stuff do you listen to right now/favourite stuff ?

Linkhero1

Depends, rock is such a wide and diverse genre. What sort of stuff do you listen to right now/favourite stuff ?

I've been into rap heavily since my teen years, but I'm a huge fan of Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Band of Horses, and Broken Bells. They're usually played about 90% of the time and I have a few songs by Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers on my Spotify playlist. I've never gotten too deep into rock to know what's good.

Pacbois

I've been into rap heavily since my teen years, but I'm a huge fan of Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Band of Horses, and Broken Bells. They're usually played about 90% of the time and I have a few songs by Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers on my Spotify playlist. I've never gotten too deep into rock to know what's good.

I might get some insults from some members here but I still really love Arctic Monkeys, their recent stuff is not as good as their first 3 albums but they're by far my favourite current "mainstream" rock band.

You could also check Queens of the Stone Age, that might go well with your affinity for Metallica, Nirvana & NiN.

Courtney Barnett is a great songwriter and her debut album and EPs are fantastic, I'm pretty sure she's a thread favourite.

Also don't hesitate to check Pitchfork's Best New Music Albums. They might have this common "hipster" reputation but they're still one of the most relevant music publication I guess. I found out about some great stuff with their reviews.

Linkhero1

I might get some insults from some members here but I still really love Arctic Monkeys, their recent stuff is not as good as their first 3 albums but they're by far my favourite current "mainstream" rock band.

You could also check Queens of the Stone Age, that might go well with your affinity for Metallica, Nirvana & NiN.

Courtney Barnett is a great songwriter and her debut album and LPs are fantastic, I'm pretty sure she's a thread favourite.

Also don't hesitate to check Pitchfork's Best New Music Albums. They might have this common "hipster" reputation but they're still one of the most relevant music publication I guess. I found out about some great stuff with their reviews.
Thanks for your recommendations. I'll let you know what I think.

I think I have one Arctic Monkey's song on my playlist (I think 505) which I like a lot. I'll check out their earlier albums. :)

big ander

If you listen to Band of Horses but not Carissa's Wierd (ben bridwell founded the former after the latter broke up), or Broken Bells but not The Shins (Shins being Mercer's main songwriting project where his well-crafted guitar pop ideas really shine through), either of those would be good gaps to fill.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This Best Friends track, "Cold Shapes," sounds promising. I find my interest (or tolerance!) for indie rock goes up in the summer months... After listening to Best Friends, Soundcloud recommended the same Yak song that big ander linked to earlier, and that's pretty fun too.

Disappointment of the moment: it's been 2 1/2 years since Indoor Voices put anything new out, and I'm wondering if they ever will again. Their EP was really promising!

Linkhero1

If you listen to Band of Horses but not Carissa's Wierd (ben bridwell founded the former after the latter broke up), or Broken Bells but not The Shins (Shins being Mercer's main songwriting project where his well-crafted guitar pop ideas really shine through), either of those would be good gaps to fill.

Awesome. I've heard of The Shins but never looked into them. I'll give the two bands a listen :)

Fjordson

I'm really really enjoying the new Summer Camp album "Bad Love". Gotta have the stomach for light summer pop music, but I love this stuff.

overcast

Got tickets to see Beach House only because they added another show for Friday at the Fonda Theater. The first two sold out in under 10 minutes and even the Friday one is completely gone.

Insane.

Myriadis

Don't know any better place than this thread. I'm pretty sure that there are some of you who enjoy some neat chamber folk in the style of Joanna Newsom.

If you have a thing for this, I strongly recommend Timbre's new Album Sun and Moon. It's a fairly big album with two CDs and about 2 hours of music, but at least both CDs are fairly different. The first CD is basically chamber/progressive folk while the second one has more classical-influenced songs clocking in over 10 minutes each, including some chorals.
So far I really love it and I hope that I can order the album sometime on Amazon. So far it's only downloadable there as a digital file and I don't want to register on another site again.

faridmon

You sound like you need Lillies and Remains in your life. They are awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qFhdQbJ7SI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X6aE6qjYNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW5M8IboEt8

You are welcome :)

Linius

Man, so much stuff can happen in a two weeks ban. This week has been insane so far with legendary (yes) shows from Ride and The Replacements in Amsterdam. And Spiritualized, Beach House and Deerhunter announced new dates in my area. And I finally decided to just go to and see The Strokes at Hyde Park next month. Can't wait.

Oh and I've been really digging the new records from UMO, Thee Oh Sees and Joanna Gruesome.

How were the replacements? i'm going to see them in a few days.

------------------------

Anyone like Ezra Furman? he's kind of like Violent Femmes meets New York Dolls meets The Replacements.

'Anything Can Happen'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwXaSZ_Y7w

'My Zero'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4gZKeQq09g

'Are You Gonna Break My Heart'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7NFt6Kgne8

The Guardian: "Why Ezra Furman is the most compelling live act you can see right now " http://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...ost-compelling-live-act-you-can-see-right-now

Top Bottom