• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Makai

This album was really ahead of its time

2CpC38p.png

SPC Eco is Dean Garcia (ex Curve) and his daughter.
Some No Joy stuff is very Curve like, such as this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1sWbcgBe1g
I'm most likely buying the No Joy stuff tonight since I get paid tomorrow. Which is the best route? Their bandcamp page? I'll checkout SPC Eco when I get to a different computer. I actually listened to that No Joy song last night, it's a good one, my favorite so far has been Hare Tarot Lies and Blue Neck Riviera. Which are their best albums? They all seem to be good though just don't want to accidentally buy a 2 song EP or something that has one original song and a bunch of repeats.

I'm most likely buying the No Joy stuff tonight since I get paid tomorrow. Which is the best route? Their bandcamp page? I'll checkout SPC Eco when I get to a different computer. I actually listened to that No Joy song last night, it's a good one, my favorite so far has been Hare Tarot Lies and Blue Neck Riviera. Which are their best albums? They all seem to be good though just don't want to accidentally buy a 2 song EP or something that has one original song and a bunch of repeats.

I think bands see the most money from Bandcamp, but otherwise up to you. For what you are looking for start with the middle album Wait to Pleasure, but both Ghost Blonde and More Faithful are decent too.

I think bands see the most money from Bandcamp, but otherwise up to you. For what you are looking for start with the middle album Wait to Pleasure, but both Ghost Blonde and More Faithful are decent too.
Will do the band camp thing. I needed to for the last Autumns Grey Solace album and they give you more options regarding music quality. I'd rather help the band than the publisher.

big ander

New Chairlift song "Ch-Ching". it's...very much aiming for the mainstream, I think. sounds like any 2010s pop song with a slight hip-hop influence and horns. I'm not yet sure whether I'm mildly or massively disappointed. Something made me a big fan but the big sweeping romantic pop songs on there were a little weird, and the pastoral-electronic Ramona Lisa project with its Psychic TV-referencing and performance art aspect had me hoping the new Chairlift would surprise. I guess that this is so boring is surprising in a way

Ok so SPC ECO is pretty decent, but trying to figure what to even buy amidst their sea of EP's and remix CD's is daunting. What are their essentials? I like the song Push but it doesn't even seem to be on a full album.

Linius

Aphex Twin - Syro
Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool
Róisín Murphy - Hairless Toys
C Duncan - Architect
ESKA - ESKA
Florence and the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Ghostpoet - Shedding Skin
Benjamin Clementine - At Least for Now
Jamie xx - In Colour
SOAK - Before We Forgot How to Dream
Gaz Coombes - Matador
Slaves - Are You Satisfied?

Mercury Prize nominees shortlist. Too bad they didn't include Girl Band and Blur. From this list I'd probably go with Aphex Twin or Jamie XX.

Linius

No in 2014. But it has to do with the release window Mercury Prize uses. Like with the Grammy's and basically every other award show. They never go by calender year.

faridmon

Mercury Prize nominees shortlist. Too bad they didn't include Girl Band and Blur. From this list I'd probably go with Aphex Twin or Jamie XX.

Having Slaves there is huge for Midlands. With Peace and Swim Deep Nominated and now Wolverhampton's own Slaves, This will make the are very attractive in terms of indie scene.

Good shit!

Mercury Prize is still a loopsided award that goes along with Marketing and PR.

Fjordson

Where's Bully's Feels Like on this list
/s

Even though it's kinda derivative and won't win any awards like that, I think it's still my album of the year. I just love it.

Linius

I like their album. But it's not something that really stands out for me. Even if they were British/Irish they wouldn't be on my shortlist either :p

Linius

Loool, I thought the /s thing in your spoiler tag was you joking about it :p

So far I'm still leaning towards Sufjan Stevens for AOTY. Top 10 will be pretty damn strong this year.

faridmon

Oh damn, I didn't even realize those were all British acts lmao. I guess that's why Bully didn't' get nominated.

Even if Bully was British, it wouldn't get nominated. Think of this list as the Oscars equivalent of the indie music in UK. The only ones that are even though of being nominated are the ones that have huge Marketing push behind. All of those albums (except for Slaves) had a huge hype before they were released, got the national paper's coverage and were advertised everywhere in London and had multiple sell out gigs across the town.

Frankly Bully would never get that attention.

Hence you see bands such as Everything Everything and Django Django (lol both of them are so good you had to say them twice) weren't even considered despite the enormous critical reception and hence you never see British Sea Power (as of late) being nominated despite selling out nearly everywhere.

Fjordson

Even if Bully was British, it wouldn't get nominated. Think of this list as the Oscars equivalent of the indie music in UK.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

But it really didn't hit me that it was a British only award just glancing at the list. Even though I'm from London lol. Oops.

faridmon

Yeah, that's what I figured.

But it really didn't hit me that it was a British only award just glancing at the list. Even though I'm from London lol. Oops.

lol

My AOTY remain Satellite Stories, although I can see the new Post War Glamour Girls album competing for that no.1 spot the more I listen to it.

Moozo

New Video by The Japanese House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=jeupYam8JT8

She is probably gonna be huge as the hype is through the roof here in UK. Seeing her in next month and apparently its close to being sold out... ad nothing sells out here in Birmingham.

Ah dude I saw her in Birmingham as well. Wonder if our paths crossed lol. What did u think?

Spoke for a while with Amber after and now I think I'm in love with her a little bit (a lot) :(

Letter by the Water studio version will be the best thing she's ever done.

faridmon

Ah dude I saw her in Birmingham as well. Wonder if our paths crossed lol. What did u think?

Spoke for a while with Amber after and now I think I'm in love with her a little bit (a lot) :(

Letter by the Water studio version will be the best thing she's ever done.

I was there. I think you did see me as I did speak to her as well and she was lovely.
I was the one with the crutches and that lovely bar lady gave me the stol to sit on

I spoke to the other band members and apparently they have a an asshole for a manager, since he hated their show because not a lot of us turned out and they said that they might not come back to play another show in Birmingham especially since their Manchester gig sold out with 300 people showing up.

They also said that they are trying to move away from the Shoegaze label and will include a lot more electronica into their music because they hate the whole thing. Apparently they were shocked to hear people referring them as s Shoegaze band since they started out the band as Post-metal/ ambient pop music (don't know how they come up with that?). They said they wanted to play similar music to Hookworms and Echo Lake with ethereal progressive music with psychedelic hook but Amber insist on their current music.

Ended up chatting with them for about 30 min untill their manager, still pissed off, called them to pack up.

Moozo

I was there. I think you did see me as I did speak to her as well and she was lovely.
I was the one with the crutches and that lovely bar lady gave me the stol to sit on

I spoke to the other band members and apparently they have a an asshole for a manager, since he hated their show because not a lot of us turned out and they said that they might not come back to play another show in Birmingham especially since their Manchester gig sold out with 300 people showing up.

They also said that they are trying to move away from the Shoegaze label and will include a lot more electronica into their music because they hate the whole thing. Apparently they were shocked to hear people referring them as s Shoegaze band since they started out the band as Post-metal/ ambient pop music (don't know how they come up with that?). They said they wanted to play similar music to Hookworms and Echo Lake with ethereal progressive music with psychedelic hook but Amber insist on their current music.

Ended up chatting with them for about 30 min untill their manager, still pissed off, called them to pack up.

That's fucking bizarre. The Japanese House IS Amber, she can do what she fucking likes. They're just live members as far as I know. Are you sure you were talking to the right band? lol. Anyway the drummer was pretty impressive.

Her manager also manages The 1975 and by all accounts I've heard is a pretty nice bloke. Anyway, it sold out, don't know what more they could have wanted for a band with one EP. Have also never heard them called shoegaze at all.

p.s. don't remember seeing you but I was half cut talking nonsense to Amber for about 25 mins when she clearly wanted to go outside for a cigarette but was too nice to say anything, bless her

faridmon

That's fucking bizarre. The Japanese House IS Amber, she can do what she fucking likes. They're just live members as far as I know. Are you sure you were talking to the right band? lol
Just realised you quoted me on that comment from before. I am tired :/

Her manager also manages The 1975 and by all accounts I've heard is a pretty nice bloke. Anyway, it sold out, don't know what more they could have wanted for a band with one EP. Have also never heard them called shoegaze at all.

Shit I though you were talking about Pinkshinyultrablast gig, sorry for confusing you. lol and I thought I got her name wrong because I wasn't sure if her name was Amber as well haha

Were you the one who bought the vinyl?

It was packed but I got in for free actually because I am friend with the supporter band, Chartreuse, so I was on the guest list. I was at the door helping out the booking agency people with tickets (and holding the door for people walking in and out) so yeah, you probably seen me talking to lady at the door.

People actually started to leave the gig by the end and they didn't seem to be interested, but I thought it was great. I couldn't enjoy it as much because of the ''job'' I was doing but I definitely felt it. I tried talking to her, but it ended up being awkward with me saying how great her performance and she trying to run upstairs to sell some vinyls. She tried talking to me before her show, (because she thought I was working with booking agency) but I didn't recognise her and continued talking to the Mike and Harriet from Charteruse and I kind a regret that now :/

I could have gotten you a free ticket if I knew you were coming :/

Moozo

Shit I though you were talking about Pinkshinyultrablast gig, sorry for confusing you. lol and I thought I got her name wrong because I wasn't sure if her name was Amber as well haha

Were you the one who bought the vinyl?

It was packed but I got in for free actually because I am friend with the supporter band, Chartreuse, so I was on the guest list. I was at the door helping out the booking agency people with tickets (and holding the door for people walking in and out) so yeah, you probably seen me talking to lady at the door.

People actually started to leave the gig by the end and they didn't seem to be interested, but I thought it was great. I couldn't enjoy it as much because of the ''job'' I was doing but I definitely felt it. I tried talking to her, but it ended up being awkward with me saying how great her performance and she trying to run upstairs to sell some vinyl. She tried talking to me before her show, (because she thought I was working with booking agency) but I didn't recognise her and continued talking to the Mike and Harriet from Charteruse and I kind a rgret that now :/

Haha confusion over. I got in quite early and just went straight down the stairs, didn't see anyone at the door tbh. Just bought a t shirt and was stood at the upstairs bar afterwards.

Chartreuse were great!

faridmon

Haha confusion over. I got in quite early and just went straight down the stairs, didn't see anyone at the door tbh. Just bought a t shirt and was stood at the upstairs bar afterwards.

Chartreuse were great!

Yeah, I came in later.

Charteruse are amazing. I probably seen them like 10 times already (I befriended them by them seeing me so many times) and they are still good. They played a new track by the end there (where Harriet, the girl, was drumming) and I thought it being good.

Let me know what is your gig schedule so we could do a meet up. I can get you a free ticket for Jaws gig because Charteruse is supporting them as well.

Moozo

Let me know what is your gig schedule so we could do a meet up. I can get you a free ticket for Jaws gig because Charteruse is supporting them as well.
Shame that's at Hare and Hounds. Total pain in the ass for me to get to as it's the wrong side of Birmingham. Cheers for the offer tho- maybe another time.

I'm seeing Dive In on Saturday (supporting Coasts but I'm not really interested in them) and then DCFC the week after. Been thinking about going to Sundara Karma at Sunflower next week as I really liked the venue - had never been there before.

faridmon

Shame that's at Hare and Hounds. Total pain in the ass for me to get to as it's the wrong side of Birmingham. Cheers for the offer tho- maybe another time.

I'm seeing Dive In on Saturday (supporting Coasts but I'm not really interested in them) and then DCFC the week after. Been thinking about going to Sundara Karma at Sunflower next week as I really liked the venue - had never been there before.

Yeah, Hare and hound is indeed pain to get to, as I live closer to town and everywhere else is a walking distance from me. Although my parents live in Acocks Green so I do crash there when I happen to see a band in that area.

Funny, I just bought my tickets to Sundara Karma, and if you haven't bought it yet, you should do it ASAP as The band just said it on Facebook that its more or less sold out. Didn't know Dive In is playing in town (Really loved their EP earlier this year), but if its during next Saturday then I won't be there since This is Tomorrow festival is happening at Hare and Hound.

I really love Sunflower, I probably seen at least 7 bands this month alone and I frequently go there to grab a drink on a weekends or something because the music is amazing. They play 80s Post-Punk music which is just delight.

HiResDes

I just wanna thank prefaces for getting me into Dan Melchior, absolutely in love all of his releases and he's so prolific that I'll be diving into his material for months to come.

King_Moc

Banned
Deerhunter album is really starting to get it's claws into me. I was struggling with it as it's so far from what I expected. It's kind of dreamy and just washes right over you. But in a very good way.

This new Protomartyr album is a pretty big step up for them. I'm loving it. A shame i'm going to the Metz gig where they aren't supporting.

faridmon

This new Protomartyr album is a pretty big step up for them. I'm loving it. A shame i'm going to the Metz gig where they aren't supporting.

I am seeing Metz as well end of this month, but Protomartyr are coming to tour around UK on their own. The new album is dope, although I prefer the first one to this.

Linius

The first one as in "No Passion All Technique"?

For me it's 3>2>1 with Protomartyr. They just keep improving by the record.

Over here Metz is supported by Crows by the way, no Protomartyr either. They both play Le Guess Who? though, so I'm good. Praying for a decent timetable.

whirr got dropped by their label for making transphobic comments on twitter

strange how tough guy hardcore the members of that band are given they make run-of-the-mill shoegaze with wispy vox

Top Bottom