• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Wanted to see them.... until I saw their ticket price here in UK :(

i saw them several times in the UK, last time in Camden in some tiny pub - was pretty awesome but was around the 99th dream era so... 1996?

Though saw them at the Phoenix Festival around 1993 just around Ejector Seat Reservation and they were so incredibly brilliant. I met them in the signing booth and it is one of my few -totally starstruck- moments. I used to interview bands but i just lost it and could only blurt out a "please sign my thing" lol.

Last Day on Earth - please play this at my funeral.

Christ - you know how old i feel now? :/

I listen to Autumns Grey Solace, Lycia, Dead Can Dance, Siddal, Collide, Cocteau Twins and god only wants to know what else I can pull out of my butt, I'm all about the ethereal emphasis. I also like Blonde Redhead, Asobi Seksu and Mira. Echo Lake isn't too bad, sound like a watered down Lush or less screechy Blonde Redhead, depending on how she wants to sing.

You check out Tearwave, No Joy or Pinkshinyultrablast? I think Tearwave is probably the closest to what you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWRaIJrFrk

I've had a good run of Shoegaze shows. This year I've seen Swirlies, Swervedriver, and Ride. Almost went to the No Joy show but wasn't feeling great and the Nothing show I had tickets for got cancelled. Thinking of seeing Cheatahs later this month.

You check out Tearwave, No Joy or Pinkshinyultrablast? I think Tearwave is probably the closest to what you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWRaIJrFrk

I've had a good run of Shoegaze shows. This year I've seen Swirlies, Swervedriver, and Ride. Almost went to the No Joy show but wasn't feeling great and the Nothing show I had tickets for got cancelled. Thinking of seeing Cheatahs later this month.
I already have an Ipod stocked full of Tearwave. I should check out No Joy and Pinkshinyultrablast. You ever hear of Love Spirals Downwards?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9HAfwT9djs
I'm listening to No Joy now, it's definitely hitting that element of distorted darkness I like.

big ander

goddammit, awesome Raleigh weird noise rock/post-punk band Whatever Brains just announced their breakup. post also confirms their fourth and final record is out 11/20 and links to a live recording of their final show. Never got anyone to listen to them I don't think but I'll try one last time: check out all their music https://whateverbrains.bandcamp.com/ (especially the 2012 [un/self]titled record, with the white cover, or either half of the double EP SSR-63/64 from last year) if you dig Liars, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Young Widows, Roomrunner, No Age, Metz

edit: and as usual it's not all bad news, as WB's founder/frontman already started a new project and released a record earlier this year: https://iss2012.bandcamp.com/releases band name is ISS and the music is built on samples of hardcore punk, gonna need to check this out.

speaking of Shoegazing.... Swervedriver play Tokyo tomorrow night.

I'm nearly pishing myself, but not sure i can make it.

I was kinda let down when I saw them back in April. Sound was super blown out, and I was tired and insufficiently soused.
Hopefully I get the chance to see them again.

I've been listening to the first Girl Band EPs and they're also very good in a more easy listening way.

Busy at Maths
Think i'm gonna get a ticket for their gig next month.

Also, the new Deerhunter is bliss.

Davey Cakes

My brother is a huge Deerhunter fan. He listened to that album one time and though it was really disappointing.

20 listens later and the guy is pretty much in love with it. He accepted that it's different than their previous work.

I think it's a solid album myself. What I really enjoyed were the music videos they've put out for the new singles, though.

Linius

20 listens in terrible quality? People pls

Since it's there in functional quality now I took my time to check it out yesterday. Think it needs some time to sink in, but there's a lot of goodness in there.

big ander

I've been listening to the first Girl Band EPs and they're also very good in a more easy listening way.

Busy at Maths
Think i'm gonna get a ticket for their gig next month.

Yeah France 98 is very embryonic and traditional, yet you can hear them start to head towards the complete dissonance and distortion of Holding Hands. "Lawman" is probably still my favorite track of theirs because it's the halfway point between those two, but "Second One" remains of their best tracks. The "In My Head"/"Conductor" single is overlooked too

Linius

Yeah, really feeling it. Listened to it four times now I think.

Go back to their older stuff servbot, do your duty as music lover.

I like Fading Fronter and I've never really gotten into Deerhunter with the exception of a few songs.

Obviously our tastes aren't perfectly aligned but for me the three album run of Cryptograms-Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.-Halcyon Digest is one of the best by a modern indie band.

I think Cryptograms might be the curveball you need to get into their discography.

BoerBert

Owen Pallett kinda confirms the new Last Shadow Puppets album:
bDb1sZp.jpg

faridmon

Ugh, that The Line of Best Fit website redesign is absolutely.

First Last fm and now TLOBF, ruining my favourite websites one by one.

faridmon

Shopping is skipping Birmingham for their UK Tour :(

On the other hand, Deradoorian is coming to town on the 4th. Can't wait!

I'll give up everything I own to see them live. Never have before. Pls tour.

They are touring.

Yeah they are fun live, saw them with Linius and they were pretty good. Although I have to say the venue and the people there added a lot of spice to the whole thing.

Thank god for Linius and his fast buys, because that show sold out really fast.

Linius

They get plenty of attention, album is awesome though.

I seem to read much more about this current release than their previous one. It looks like the world is catching up now.

They are touring.

Yeah they are fun live, saw them with Linius and they were pretty good. Although I have to say the venue and the people there added a lot of spice to the whole thing.

Thank god for Linius and his fast buys, because that show sold out really fast.

He's talking about Gorillaz m8

Although I did see Gorillaz too, back in 2010 with the previous tour.

faridmon

He's talking about Gorillaz m8

Although I did see Gorillaz too, back in 2010 with the previous tour.

pfft, who talks about Gorrilaz when Protomartyr is doing so hot right now?

:p

but yeah, I would love to see Gorrillaz live as well, as long I have the means to do so. I wonder if they would appear in festivals such as Best Kept Secret next year.

And speakin

Top Bottom