• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

NOS Alive 2016 is not messing around. 119 euros for three days and then you get Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Pixies, Robert Plant, Tame Impala, Wolf Alice, Courtney Barnett, Father John Misty, Hot Chip, M83 and a bunch of not so interesting stuff. And more to come yet. For those first two names alone I'd have to pay more over here.

Pacbois

NOS Alive 2016 is not messing around. 119 euros for three days and then you get Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Pixies, Robert Plant, Tame Impala, Wolf Alice, Courtney Barnett, Father John Misty, Hot Chip, M83 and a bunch of not so interesting stuff. And more to come yet. For those first two names alone I'd have to pay more over here.

Meanwhile, the same weekend, Bilbao BBK has that

slide-BBL-fr.jpg

Surprised to see Arcade Fire touring this summer, but probably without any new stuff.

Also I'm missing At The Drive-In and The Last Shadow Puppets in Paris because I'll be in Canada, fuck that.

Linius

Getting a ticket to the Amsterdam show for The Last Shadow Puppets on wednesday in the pre-sale I hope. Otherwise I'd have to try again on friday.

And Arcade Fire is just those two shows in Europe. Looks like there's some really big money behind these two festivals to fund Arcade Fire going to Europe for just two shows. They both have nearly the same line-up, except for NOS also having Radiohead of course. And that combo is really interesting. Looking into going there with a friend, maybe AirBNB or something.

King_Moc

Banned

I'm booking this one later tonight, given that it will be about £200 cheaper to book than Primavera. Plus I went to Porto last year and it was so cheap compared to everywhere else.

Edit: Faridmon is banned? Not perma'd I hope?

Linius

Yeah I noticed he got offed. I'll ask him what's up :p

And adding up accomodation costs and money you spend in Portugal it still won't be much cheaper than Primavera if you'd have bought the early bird ticket. I figure if I can make this happen I need about 600 euros for everything.

big ander

Rostam Batmanglij left Vampire Weekend, no longer a full-time member at least. said he'll collaborate with them sometimes still but who knows what that means.

Shitty news for VW fans as it always felt like he and Ezra were the key songwriters, and Rostam was the key on the production side.

Pretty surprising. The way both of them have talked in interviews it seems like they're the core of the band while both Chrises have minimal input/are there to round out the live show. I wonder if they're done.

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah I noticed he got offed. I'll ask him what's up :p

And adding up accomodation costs and money you spend in Portugal it still won't be much cheaper than Primavera if you'd have bought the early bird ticket. I figure if I can make this happen I need about 600 euros for everything.

The current NOS ticket price is about what the Primavera early bird price was. Plus drinks are about 2 euros cheaper. I'd prefer Primavera obviously, but NOS will probably cost me about £300 less overall. Plus I've done Primavera a few times before, so it's nice to try something new.

Linius

Yeah could probably save some money on drinks. But at least for me from The Netherlands it doesn't make much of a difference if I travel to NOS or Primavera looking at the costs. Plane tickets and hostels are about the same price for Lisbon and Barcelona. And same goes for the festival.

But yeah, a buddy of mine is gonna look at some stuff tomorrow and then he'll get back to me with the info. Think I'll pull the trigger.

kris.

Banned
jesus christ modest mouse and brand new are touring together and they're hitting KC and tickets are only $25 for GA i am crying

Linius

I was positively surprised by how 'cheap' Modest Mouse tickets were when I went last year. Too bad the gig ended up sucking hard. Horrible venue and Isaac wasn't really into it either. Kept yelling at the sound technician and walking off stage to fix things. Hopefully I get a chance to see them somewhere else some time because I know they can do better.

kris.

Banned
i haven't gotten to see them ever even though they've been one of my favorite bands since like '03 so them + brand new god bless what a night that'll be

overcast

Savages/Death Grips are playing at the Fox Theater in Pomona. What a show that'll be. Hopefully I can score tickets.

Trying to see Beach House again for sure. Honestly, Coachella feels pointless with all of these guys just playing around here at that time anyway. Although no Sufjan sucks.

I'm kinda glad that most of the bands I'd wanna see at Coachella are playing these side shows since I highly doubt i'm going to Coachella. Sucks that the CHVRCHES show we're likely going to is happening on the same day as Courtney Barnett/Alvvays, though.

Savages/Death Grips should be wild

Linius

Savages and Death Grips seems like an odd combo. I'd probably grab my coat as fast as I can once Savages are done with their set :p

omgkitty

Oh man, new Tim Hecker album!

TIm%20Hecker_DIGITAL%20.jpg

I have no idea what this means:

In a statement, Hecker said the album was created while he mulled over ideas like “liturgical aesthetics after Yeezus” and the “transcendental voice in the age of auto-tune."

Out April 8th.

big ander

Hecker means yet another 2016 release I'm super excited for. sucks there hasn't been anything good yet in the year though (other than Blackstar). Savages was a mild disappointment, the diiv record is painfully boring, chairlift is nearly as stale. Hinds was alright I guess.
New Lust For Youth Album this March, they just released a new single yesterday:

https://soundcloud.com/sacredbones/lust-for-youth-stardom

It just feel like yesterday when they release their previous album, International, which fucking amazing and everyone should listen to that.

tbh, not feeling this track, seems a bit too dreamy and slow for them, love their industrial synth they had on their previous album. Still, looking forward to their album.
I really like this single. I've only heard their collab album with Croatian Amor, will have to check out the other stuff.
Pretty surprising. The way both of them have talked in interviews it seems like they're the core of the band while both Chrises have minimal input/are there to round out the live show. I wonder if they're done.
I was listening to some VW yesterday to kinda gauge how disappointed to be (heh), and it made me less worried a bit. Rostam was definitely integral but I don't think he was so vital that they'll sound significantly worse without his constant involvement. Baio's solo stuff shows that he has some sort of distinct perspective and I think Tomson's a really underrated drummer.

Steamlord

Hop Along was fuggin' amazing. They're also really chill and had a lot of fun banter with each other and with the audience. Really fun show. Sister Cities is quite the experience live.

One of the supporting acts also caught me by surprise. They were a local group, which doesn't usually inspire a lot of confidence in me considering where I live, but they were actually pretty awesome. They had a great stage presence too. Their album doesn't quite do their sound justice - they're a lot heavier live - but it's still good stuff: Costello

chris121580

Bloc Party has been going down hill since A Weekend in the City. They had one incredible album and have been in free fall since. Kele is way too up his own ass to make good music any more.

Completely agree. I never expected them to make an album better than Silent Alarm but this new one is just garbage.

Still in shock Brand New and Mouse Mouse will be touring this summer. Bought myself 2 tickets and I'll be seeing them in Mansfield, MA.

I highly suggest everyone here goes and sees them. Brand New won't last much longer as a band, so it would be wise to see them before they break up possibly next year.

chris121580

Still in shock Brand New and Mouse Mouse will be touring this summer. Bought myself 2 tickets and I'll be seeing them in Mansfield, MA.

I highly suggest everyone here goes and sees them. Brand New won't last much longer as a band, so it would be wise to see them before they break up possibly next year.

I really hope this means we get a new album from them before it's all said and done

Modest Mouse have been (un?)surprisingly quiet on the sister album to Strangers to Ourselves that is apparently coming in spring 2016.

Need it so I can stitch 40 mins of worthwhile tracks between the two and get my MM on.

Oh man, new Tim Hecker album!

TIm%20Hecker_DIGITAL%20.jpg

I have no idea what this means:

Out April 8th.

Glorious. I searched Tim Hecker and was sort of surprised to find this in the indie thread. Sad, but we don't have an ambient/noise/experimental thread I guess. Whatever, hyped! The man has been ascending nonstop since Mirages and I'm wondering if it'll be possible to top Virgins.

HiResDes

So I'm really surprised that I really like the new Chairlift album. It's so damn catchy and has such a large variety of sounds and melodies. Happiest record I've liked in a while.

big ander

Glorious. I searched Tim Hecker and was sort of surprised to find this in the indie thread. Sad, but we don't have an ambient/noise/experimental thread I guess. Whatever, hyped! The man has been ascending nonstop since Mirages and I'm wondering if it'll be possible to top Virgins.
There's an ambient thread but nobody uses it much unfortunately.

I only got into Hecker when the last one came out and I started from the beginning so I haven't heard Virgins yet heh. Need to rectify that.

So I'm really surprised that I really like the new Chairlift album. It's so damn catchy and has such a large variety of sounds and melodies. Happiest record I've liked in a while.

This was exactly the rec I needed to make me give it a listen. I've been thirsting for a really strong, upbeat album lately.

Top Bottom