• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

I guess you mean Goodbye Bread from 2011? That and The Manipulator are my faves of his solo records. But there's also Slaughterhouse released as Ty Segall Band. And the records he's doing with Fuzz. He just keeps on going. But that's basically what all the bands in that scene do. Wand release two albums last year for example.

t hicks

Banned
I've been a fan of Ty Segall for a long time, and the new album is probably my favorite of his since Melted. Production on point, great songs, and really good pacing. Love it.

faridmon

Nice List. Never heard any of them before, except for Earl. Some varied shit there!

thabiz

What a letdown the new savages record is. Some great tracks like surrender, and slowing down the world, but most is just standard punk / hard rock that's sorely missing the viciousness of the debut.

Mifune

Mehmber
Real good. Both it and the new Shearwater are streaming on NPR. The new Shearwater is different than anything they've ever done and I'm loving it. Really dig this song Quiet Americans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr2pdwhjtjU

http://www.npr.org/series/98679384/first-listen

Really like this new Shearwater. They are what I like to call my comfort band. Never gonna reinvent the wheel but always nice to return to. And I dig the Krautrock thing they've got going on in some of these new songs.

Linius

I'm a bit late on this myself but I just wanted to say that the Khruangbin record from last year is pretty damn great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UENXUKm_6U

By the way, Primavera has been streaming some rocket animation video for 5 hours now
02Do2Ff.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RjpC0a_Bw

Davey Cakes

Any fans of Daughter here? Listening to her new album Not To Disappear atm, pretty darn good
I did like the first record. Thanks for the reminder!

That new Bowie record really is something else.
He sounded like a ghost on certain tracks. Probably the point, considering that he knew he was dying.

It's a much better and tighter listen than The Next Day. That album was a bore fest for me. Blackstar feels like Bowie's art shining through and through. It's quite an album to go out on.

faridmon

New Lust For Youth Album this March, they just released a new single yesterday:

https://soundcloud.com/sacredbones/lust-for-youth-stardom

It just feel like yesterday when they release their previous album, International, which fucking amazing and everyone should listen to that.

tbh, not feeling this track, seems a bit too dreamy and slow for them, love their industrial synth they had on their previous album. Still, looking forward to their album.

Also, *raises shield* I can't stop listening to the new Tove Lo track, Influence. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am really excited for new material by her. Despite me thinking that her debut is rubbish.

faridmon

I hope Best Kept Secret lands LCD Soundsystem. Would be worth going there for that reason alone.

I have a feeling Viet Cong and Girl Band are gonna be there as well.

Linius

LCD Soundsystem is the most likely name to come out of this. The Internet pretty much agrees on that at the moment.

I don't expect them for BKS Farid. Their fee is most likely gonna be too much for them. Reports are they're quite expensive. Lowlands seems to be the most logical Dutch festival to have them. We'll know a lot more once touring schedules for most bands are taking shape.

It also sucks BKS face heavy competition from Down the Rabbit Hole the week before. Mojo vs Friendly Fire. They both go after the same kind of bands.

faridmon

Ah well, Expected as much, espcially since you did mention that BKS is not about headliners anyway. Sucks to hear that other festivals are competing to get the same artists.

I just want Girl Band to be there.

Linius

Ah well, Expected as much, espcially since you did mention that BKS is not about headliners anyway. Sucks to hear that other festivals are competing to get the same artists.

I just want Girl Band to be there.

Basically only this one -> http://downtherabbithole.nl/programma

It's the week after by the way, got the dates wrong. If you'd combine the best things they have with the best things BKS got you'd have a brilliant festival. Both are already well enough to visit on their own of course. But it kind of sucks that due to competition bands get divided over two weekends. I've been to both in one year before. I might do that again this year. So far the line-up is looking pretty great.

Field Day's line-up will tell us a lot about possible names for BKS as well by the way. And on Viet Cong and Girl Band there's not a whole lot to say yet. Both have nothing from april and onwards so hard to say if they'll be in Europe or the US around june. Hopefully we'll see those names pop up on the several announcements that will be made tomorrow.

Last but not least BKS said they'll announce a couple of names next week. Don't expect big things, it's about bands they scouted at Eurosonic festival. So most likely a few Dutch bands in there and some young talented European acts. I think Canshaker Pi have a good shot of being part of that announcement. The band I mentioned earlier on this page.

faridmon

Girl Band actually tend to do one offs all the time when it comes to touring. They played at Visions Festival with no tour being held.

They are not gonna have a US or even a EU Tour in Summer, more likely because they cancelled much of shows due to health and stress reasons and wrote on their Facebook page that they are not prepping a huge tour this year because of the demand of each shows. Luckily Birmingham show is still on next month, and I am really excited to see them.

Viet Cong also, tend to be random. The only festival they held in UK was a small Festival in unknown Welsh town where they headlined it. so I don't know whether they are gonna do a big show this year.

Linius

With Viet Cong you at least know that if there's a show in Europe on the radar they'll be doing more. Bands like that don't travel this way for one gig. Unless some idiot pays them ten times the fee they're used to making it worth their effort :p

For Girl Band being from Europe it's of course easier to do a gig here and there. Especially in the UK, they'd probably jump in a van and just drive around a bit.

But yeah, curious to see what's coming tomorrow. Hopefully some names we haven't seen on other festival line-ups yet.

cabot

Got a buddy who's game for coming with me, here we go!

Is it like normal festival lineups? Will there be more added as we get closer?

Kinda hoping Bat For Lashes announce since she's got a new album on the way.

Reckoner

Bradford Cox going solo or just dropping his Atlas Sound moniker?

Primavera Sound's line up looks very promising. I like a bunch of artists there, would love to especially get to see PJ Harvey and Vince Staples. Ofc, love LCD Soundsystem. Brian Wilson should be also interesting.

Hope those make it to Porto.

Linius

I figure they're gonna do the same thing as last fall. Bradford playing before Deerhunter with a seamless transition. Didn't really love the Atlas Sound bit from that tour honestly.

Pacbois

Isn't the big problem with Primavera the fact all the bands you want to see play at the same time ? Like I heard it's now clash hell, especially considering the size of it.

Linius

Well any festival with a lineup like that is clash hell. There's easily 30+ acts I wanna see there. I can't name another festival in the area where I'd want to see that many acts.

King_Moc

Banned
Isn't the big problem with Primavera the fact all the bands you want to see play at the same time ? Like I heard it's now clash hell, especially considering the size of it.

It's not too bad actually. The two main stages never have anyone on at the same time. One stops, and the other starts 5-10 minutes later. I was at the Barca one in 2013 and 2014 and don't recall having to miss too much. I can only really recall missing Mogwai.

The new Suede album is pretty damn good. Can't believe I will say this in 2016.

This year is off to a fantastic start.

I though the last one was ok, how does it compare?

faridmon

Field Day, at the same time, announced their second wave of artists and they specified that there is more and bigger names to come:

The second wave includes: Saturday - Bicep (Live), Frisco, Gillbanks, Girl Band, Gold Panda, Jackmaster b2b Gerd Janson, Kelela, Little Simz, Mabel, Metz, Nao, Novelist, Plastician, Sleaford Mods, Slimzee, Tale Of Us, The Black Madonna, Wooden Wisdom & DJ Fitz & Yeasayer

Sunday - Blossoms, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Cass McCombs, Daphni, Formation, Mbongwana Star, Moon Duo, Parquet Courts, Tangerines & Tourist

Goddamn it, they are making it hard to ignore. Great line-up

GIRL BAND!!!!

King_Moc

Banned
Field Day, at the same time, announced their second wave of artists and they specified that there is more and bigger names to come:

The second wave includes: Saturday - Bicep (Live), Frisco, Gillbanks, Girl Band, Gold Panda, Jackmaster b2b Gerd Janson, Kelela, Little Simz, Mabel, Metz, Nao, Novelist, Plastician, Sleaford Mods, Slimzee, Tale Of Us, The Black Madonna, Wooden Wisdom & DJ Fitz & Yeasayer

Sunday - Blossoms, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Cass McCombs, Daphni, Formation, Mbongwana Star, Moon Duo, Parquet Courts, Tangerines & Tourist

Goddamn it, they are making it hard to ignore. Great line-up

GIRL BAND!!!!

I'm already going to the Sunday. the Saturday is getting very tempting now though, just need that headliner confirmed...

King_Moc

Banned
Sheesh, the flight situation to Barcelona for Primavera is insane this year. Basically doesn't really look doable at all. And i'd managed to convince myself to go as well.

Top Bottom