• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Reckoner

I've been listening to Junior Boys a lot lately because of Jessy Lanza's latest single. Teach Me How To Fight is such a beautiful song

Speely

Banned
Still in shock Brand New and Mouse Mouse will be touring this summer. Bought myself 2 tickets and I'll be seeing them in Mansfield, MA.

I highly suggest everyone here goes and sees them. Brand New won't last much longer as a band, so it would be wise to see them before they break up possibly next year.

Holy shit! Thanks so much for this... I had no idea. What a great bill. Never got to see Brand New, sadly, and I fear this might be my last chance. Modest Mouse always has a good show, so there's that. Great stuff.

HiResDes

I need some new albums to listen to, what's IndieGAF listening to.
Daughter - Not to Disappear
Irezumi - Thirty
Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger
Roly Porter - Third Law
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
Tim Hecker - Love Streams
Chairlift - Moth
David Bowie - Blackstar
Ital Tek - Hollowed
Adrian Younge - Something for April II
Retch - Lean and Neck
Saul Williams - MartyrKing

Daughter - Not to Disappear
Irezumi - Thirty
Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger
Roly Porter - Third Law
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
Tim Hecker - Love Streams
Chairlift - Moth
David Bowie - Blackstar
Ital Tek - Hollowed
Adrian Younge - Something for April II
Retch - Lean and Neck
Saul Williams - MartyrKing

Thanks, a few I've listened to already but I'll check the others out and report back.

Drahcir

This new Primal Scream song with Sky Ferreira is pretty good. A nice upbeat slab of electro indie pop.

Haven't stopped being a Scream fan myself, so it sounds good to me! Plus, I loved Sky's album as well and it does seem more like a Sky song than the Scream. Not that that's a bad thing of course. I also read Haim is on two tracks on the album as well. Can't wait to hear those.

King_Moc

Banned
Haven't stopped being a Scream fan myself, so it sounds good to me! Plus, I loved Sky's album as well and it does seem more like a Sky song than the Scream. Not that that's a bad thing of course. I also read Haim is on two tracks on the album as well. Can't wait to hear those.

Haim did backing vocals for them when I saw them at Glastonbury a few years back, so that's not too unexpected. Was definitely surprising when they walked out with them though.

big ander

the new Pinkshinyultrablast is fantastic. hones the elements of their sound that made the first LP stand out, this is like dream pop gone prog. sweet and catchy noise pop one second broken up by hard rock/power pop guitar leads the next. Wanna play it again and again.

A newish single from it: "The Cherry Pit"

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I gotta check out these Primal Scream tracks. Big fan of them, and definitely of the folks they're collaborating with. Haim should keep hanging out with this crowd instead of T-Swift. 🌞

big ander

jeeeeeze this new parquet courts song is excellent. a perfect 90 seconds. "Outside"

Second one is good too: "Dust". Full interview on WFUV is nice as well. their first Rough Trade LP Human Performance is probably coming real soon, there's a painting of the album cover up and the band's playing "secret" shows to build hype. I'm a Monastic Living defender, I love seeing a rock band take an EP to just make a clatter, but from these two tracks those who hated that release will love that these are actual songs.

jeeeeeze this new parquet courts song is excellent. a perfect 90 seconds. "Outside"

Second one is good too: "Dust". Full interview on WFUV is nice as well. their first Rough Trade LP Human Performance is probably coming real soon, there's a painting of the album cover up and the band's playing "secret" shows to build hype. I'm a Monastic Living defender, I love seeing a rock band take an EP to just make a clatter, but from these two tracks those who hated that release will love that these are actual songs.

My heart always sinks when Parquet Courts news stories don't mention Content Nausea as their last full project, such a great album.

Ready for poppier Quarts as well though

big ander

My heart always sinks when Parquet Courts news stories don't mention Content Nausea as their last full project, such a great album.

Ready for poppier Quarts as well though

Oh for sure, I love it so much more than Sunbathing Animal. Or, I did but I've come around to Sunbathing Animal more of late. they're getting closer and closer.

This new song though, might be one of my all-time favorites of theirs at this point. I've listened to it like 15 times in the last 36 hours.

Steamlord

Just got back from Yo La Tengo. Hot damn. They played an acoustic set first that was nice and chill, then played an electric set and made everyone's heads explode. Ira Kaplan is a beast. And also a cool guy. For the encore they played a new song and then they took requests(!), so they finished the show off with Autumn Sweater and You Can Have It All. Amazing.

Anybody listening to Nothing But Thieves released in the US today?

Pretty damn good album through and through. Kinda Jeff Buckley meets Foals meets Radiohead.

big ander

Sheer mag - Can't Stop Fighting
I like these dudes plenty but generally haven't been as enthusiastic a fan as a lot of people were asap with their EPs—this track is maybe their best though, hope they have an LP or at least another EP coming.

Anyone else listening to the Sunflower Bean album? Can't remember if anyone else here was big on their EP last year. the debut has a bunch of pretty good songs but I wouldn't call it a great album, still very worth a listen if you want some neopsych/alt rock. honestly, a fair amount of the time they remind me too much of other bands e.g. pretty much directly imitating Spacemen 3, and that mainly makes me want to listen to Spacemen 3 rather than more Sunflower Bean. But like, if you're gonna be a well-done shadow of a bunch of other bands, picks like Spacemen 3 are great

new record from Your Friend, Gumption, is pretty good too. Calming record of drone folk, vocals are nice and cool varied blend of instruments. liked the closer most: "Who Will I Be in the Morning?"

Futureman

I'm liking this Nap Eyes album quite a bit. Almost sounds too much like someone trying (and succeeding) to make new Velvet Underground songs but it's cool. "Stargazer" is a great chill track.

Linius

Bought tickets to see Damon Albarn & The Syrian National Orchestra in june in a very nice theater in Amsterdam. Really no idea what to expect exactly, but they're the same guys who joined Gorillaz during the 2010 tour (White Flag!). In Albarn I trust.

And definitely getting tickets for the Springsteen "The River" show in The Hague on friday. The Boss never disappoints.

Linius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZZHTVr-r-g

Tiny Desk set from Car Seat Headrest. That drumkit ayyyy
p1kx90C.png

HiResDes

Really liking this Broken Rope record by David V. reminds me of Joy Division quite a lot but definitely fresh in some ways as well. The new Junior Boys is actually pretty ace as well.

thabiz

Lnzndrf is nice. Not a big national fan but this is pretty good. Nice and mellow.

The ulrika spacek is dope as well.

Pheromoans is pretty good. A little weird in spots but has a good electronic post punk thing going for it

Top Bottom