• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Hey guys!!

Orient Esteem finally arrived!

Gorgeous watch, but man it's HUGE! My wrist feels so tiny, I need to work out some more and get my arms bigger!

My usual watch is so much tinier and less significant to this beauty

Compared to my old standard watch, this one is so apparent and flashy. I'm nervous to wear this everyday, but it's fantastic for parties and family things/work.

It's heavy, and I'm afraid of wearing it down with scratches. Guess this is just typical of new watch owners to feel, eh?

I love the watch a whole lot, but it sure is a looker, and I'm just a plainly dressed person in real life. I feel so damn fancy lol.

I may upload a pic, god this is such an amazingly fancy hobby. That feeling when I opened the new box and looked at this watch just ticking away, the lavish cushioning it sat on, like a small throne of majesty.

Thanks for all your help, WatchGAF!

Edit: Oh goodness, the smell of leather! The beautiful clicking of the sweet innards! I'm enjoying this a whole lot!

Not to sound like I'm not satisfied, but I'm looking for one more watch, just to eye as a future buy: I want something similar to the ultra simplicity of the Stowa Antea, but at a much more affordable price. $150 at best. Just something I can use for everday, so that I dont have to wear my fancy Orient when not needed

Hey guys!!

Orient Esteem finally arrived!

Gorgeous watch, but man it's HUGE! My wrist feels so tiny, I need to work out some more and get my arms bigger!

My usual watch is so much tinier and less significant to this beauty

Compared to my old standard watch, this one is so apparent and flashy. I'm nervous to wear this everyday, but it's fantastic for parties and family things/work.

It's heavy, and I'm afraid of wearing it down with scratches. Guess this is just typical of new watch owners to feel, eh?

I love the watch a whole lot, but it sure is a looker, and I'm just a plainly dressed person in real life. I feel so damn fancy lol.

I may upload a pic, god this is such an amazingly fancy hobby. That feeling when I opened the new box and looked at this watch just ticking away, the lavish cushioning it sat on, like a small throne of majesty.

Thanks for all your help, WatchGAF!

Edit: Oh goodness, the smell of leather! The beautiful clicking of the sweet innards! I'm enjoying this a whole lot!

Not to sound like I'm not satisfied, but I'm looking for one more watch, just to eye as a future buy: I want something similar to the ultra simplicity of the Stowa Antea, but at a much more affordable price. $150 at best. Just something I can use for everday, so that I dont have to wear my fancy Orient when not needed

WatchGAF always finds a solution. Here it's very easy, Rodina is your choice. same bauhaus design with a Chinese industrial movement to take the price down.

IMG_4459.JPG

Some for sale on ebay, or order new from several websites.

WatchGAF always finds a solution. Here it's very easy, Rodina is your choice. same bauhaus design with a Chinese industrial movement to take the price down.

IMG_4459.JPG

Some for sale on ebay, or order new from several websites.

You are so helpful, thanks!

I should mention that, for a casual watch, I'm looking for one with date/day functionality above all.

But I definitely like the simplicity of this watch, thanks! I presume the brand is trusted?

I should mention that, for a casual watch, I'm looking for one with date/day functionality above all.

But I definitely like the simplicity of this watch, thanks! I presume the brand is trusted?

Well, it's a very cheap alternative to Stowa/Nomos, and features a Chinese movement, albeit a very good one being a Seagull, so it's not a 'trusted brand' per say but it's definitely reliable and a very good quality for the price. unfortunately I have not found a Rodina with date, but Seagull, the movement maker, has a nice and cheap ($250) model with a clean dial and the date:

622889630_o.jpg

pwack

If date, and not day/date, is OK, there's also this Seagul M186S
$(KGrHqN,!oUFB0MWZ7NYBQniM)Wfe!~~60_3.JPG

For quality and reliable day/date watches, the Seiko 5 line is a great bet.

Also (and GalacticSushiman will revolt because what I am about to suggest is not an automatic) look at Citizen Eco-Drives, like this one, available on Amazon for ~$100.
BM8240-03E.jpg

Amazon Link

If date, and not day/date, is OK, there's also this Seagul M186S

For quality and reliable day/date watches, the Seiko 5 line is a great bet.

Also (and GalacticSushiman will revolt because what I am about to suggest is not an automatic) look at Citizen Eco-Drives, like this one, available on Amazon for ~$100.

I had faith in you pwack! WHY?

Joke aside, I already recommended a quartz on this very thread - for instance in the case of multiple complications, like perpetual calendar/chrono/... and a limited budget - and I agree there are a lot of solid arguments in favor of it (long term accuracy, no servicing, cost...).

It's just that as someone who humbly try to appreciate watches from a historic and technological point of view, I always will value mechanical more (by principles), but I have nothing against quartz per say - as long as it is super cheap, those high end Breitling/Patek/Audemars Piguet equipped with a quartz are atrocious and should all be burnt.

maeh2k

As for watches with simple, clean dials I like the ones with train-station-clock design a lot. Recently saw someone wearing what was presumably a Mondaine (or something very similar) and someone showed me their Boccia 3538-01. It's only a cheap Quarz, but it looked pretty amazing in person.

Looks even better in person. It's not very big and has a relatively low profile. The titanium is nice.

The following a.b.art as well as the Braun I posted on one of the last pages also look very nice. However both might be somewhat expensive for Quarz watches.

Jhriad

They're pretty reliable for a Chinese watch. I'm wearing that Rodina right now actually. If you're interested they're supposed to be coming out with a new batch that's even better made and has a second option for the white dial face. I'm hoping for a Stowa rather than Nomos look on this one. Won't be available until the end of this month sometime though.

BrettWeir

I'm pretty happy with my small collection.
  • G-Shock GW-2500B
  • Rolex GMT Master
  • Steinhart Ocean 1 Black
  • Squale 20 Atmos DLC

There is honestly only two watches I want in my stable to feel that the collection is complete.

• Damasko DA45 Black
    DamaskoDA45Black2L.jpg

• Rolex Explorer 2
    Rolex-Explorer-II-06.jpg

**Edit...I take it back. Three watches....the third being this rare beauty:
tag-heuer-980-031-night-diver-james-bond-watch-the-living-daylights-pvd-0066e3_460w.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my small collection.
  • G-Shock GW-2500B
  • Rolex GMT Master
  • Steinhart Ocean 1 Black
  • Squale 20 Atmos DLC

There is honestly only two watches I want in my stable to feel that the collection is complete.

**Edit...I take it back. Three watches....the third being this rare beauty:

Pics needed!

Very nice collection indeed, lots of sporty/divers, and no dress, a reason for that?

Congrats again!

They're pretty reliable for a Chinese watch. I'm wearing that Rodina right now actually. If you're interested they're supposed to be coming out with a new batch that's even better made and has a second option for the white dial face. I'm hoping for a Stowa rather than Nomos look on this one. Won't be available until the end of this month sometime though.

Thanks!!! I will look out for this.

I got a Zodiac watch for my birthday.

My step dad works as an outside consultant for Fossil and gets access to their discounted employee store, but this means it didn't come with instructions.

It's a self-winding watch, and if I don't wear it for a day or two it'll die. Is it supposed to last longer than that, or do I just have to deal with resetting the time every once in a while?

nitewulf

well the power reserve should be around 40 hours...so you should wear it, every other day at least. or if you dont, you could always hand wind it, or move it around a bit to get it started.

well the power reserve should be around 40 hours...so you should wear it, every other day at least. or if you dont, you could always hand wind it, or move it around a bit to get it started.
Ah, I thought it'd be a bit longer than that. Doesn't really bother me as long as that's how long they usually last.

iamblades

Ah, I thought it'd be a bit longer than that. Doesn't really bother me as long as that's how long they usually last.

Yeah 40-48 hours is the typical amount of power reserve on auto watches. It's possible to have more, but it would mean a bigger more expensive watch, because around a 48 hour mainspring is about the strongest most reasonably sized counterweights have enough torque to wind, a stronger mainspring either needs a bigger pendulum or some kind of gearing to increase the torque. I think the Grand Seikos are advertised with a 72 hour power reserve. There are a couple rarer movements that go up to 7-8 day power reserve, but we are talking tens of thousands of dollars at that point.

You can get programmable watch winders for not much cash. Not a bad idea to have some place to store your watch(es) anyway.

BrettWeir

Pics needed!

Very nice collection indeed, lots of sporty/divers, and no dress, a reason for that?

Congrats again!

Thanks! I guess I like the styles posted. I've never been a 'dress' watch type of guy. I think the GMT and Ocean 1 (on SS bracelet) can go perfectly well in a suit and tie.

I'll try to get some pics snapped/posted :)

nitewulf, fantastic choice, probably the only one in its price range IMO, Nomos is leagues above the Stowa, Longines, and even the Tag of this world if you ask me, but that's personnal. Still, huge congratulation for this choice, and wear it in good health as they say on WUS :p

Yeah 40-48 hours is the typical amount of power reserve on auto watches. It's possible to have more, but it would mean a bigger more expensive watch, because around a 48 hour mainspring is about the strongest most reasonably sized counterweights have enough torque to wind, a stronger mainspring either needs a bigger pendulum or some kind of gearing to increase the torque. I think the Grand Seikos are advertised with a 72 hour power reserve. There are a couple rarer movements that go up to 7-8 day power reserve, but we are talking tens of thousands of dollars at that point.

You can get programmable watch winders for not much cash. Not a bad idea to have some place to store your watch(es) anyway.

The IWC Portofino 8-day reserve handwound is $8k.

Even Longines? Well, ya gotta explain that one.

I am surprised you are surprised Jason! You should know me better after all this time on this thread :)

What I value most in a watch brand is how it uses its money, and how it builds its future. Arguably for the past 30 years, Longines has been investing mostly in marketing, and talents, and pretty much 0 in R&D. Therefore they did not bring anything new to the horological world for years.
They have been acquired by the Swatch group, and felt on the wrong side of the fence for some reason which I can't explain:

Within the swatch group, Omega is focused on its strength, classic design from the 60s and co-axial research, Glashutte Original is the best thing the Swatch group has, and keeps on being operated respectfully with everything created in-house with a quality control on par with the best out there and the best bang for bucks in high end, whereas Longines, and arguably Breguet, are only living on the brand recognition. For the past decades, they have been lazily stuffing cases with classic design with a lightly modified ETA, which they falsely advertise as 'in-house', and sold the $200 movement, in a $200 case for $4000.

I understand my opinion is a bit 'extreme' but I respect cheap low end (Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other small brands are fantastic), I worship TRUE high end (Patek, Lange, GO, AP, ...), but everything in between is very questionable for me. Why pay thousands of dollars for an industrial movement when Seiko does the same for $50? Why pay a premium on a brand when all the brand values are long lost?

Finally, in this 'dead zone' in between high end and low end, one brand still shows how it's done, and it's clearly Nomos. Done in Glashutte, with true in-house quality control and methods, Nomos is not the end of low end, it's the first high end.

So yeah, I stand by my post :)

/watch rant.

I am surprised you are surprised Jason! You should know me better after all this time on this thread :)

What I value most in a watch brand is how it uses its money, and how it builds its future. Arguably for the past 30 years, Longines has been investing mostly in marketing, and talents, and pretty much 0 in R&D. Therefore they did not bring anything new to the horological world for years.
They have been acquired by the Swatch group, and felt on the wrong side of the fence for some reason which I can't explain:

Within the swatch group, Omega is focused on its strength, classic design from the 60s and co-axial research, Glashutte Original is the best thing the Swatch group has, and keeps on being operated respectfully with everything created in-house with a quality control on par with the best out there and the best bang for bucks in high end, whereas Longines, and arguably Breguet, are only living on the brand recognition. For the past decades, they have been lazily stuffing cases with classic design with a lightly modified ETA, which they falsely advertise as 'in-house', and sold the $200 movement, in a $200 case for $4000.

I understand my opinion is a bit 'extreme' but I respect cheap low end (Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other small brands are fantastic), I worship TRUE high end (Patek, Lange, GO, AP, ...), but everything in between is very questionable for me. Why pay thousands of dollars for an industrial movement when Seiko does the same for $50? Why pay a premium on a brand when all the brand values are long lost?

Finally, in this 'dead zone' in between high end and low end, one brand still shows how it's done, and it's clearly Nomos. Done in Glashutte, with true in-house quality control and methods, Nomos is not the end of low end, it's the first high end.

/watch rant.

This is true. Does Longines use standard ETA movements? I remember this lady at the jewlry shop when I was looking at watches said Tag uses the same ETA movements as the lower end watch brands, so why spend so much on a TAG? I understand the higher end TAG watches uses Caliber 16, but yeah.

I think brand recognition does sell. Hell, I really do want an Omega PO, but I will never buy one, because at my age I'm still trying to find a career and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars when I'd rather put that money towards investing in retirement.

My Hammy Viewtmatic is great. Also, I'd like to get a couple of microbrands and a Stowa, too. Nomos is just too expensive unless I buy one used.

This is true. Does Longines use standard ETA movements? I remember this lady at the jewlry shop when I was looking at watches said Tag uses the same ETA movements as the lower end watch brands, so why spend so much on a TAG? I understand the higher end TAG watches uses Caliber 16, but yeah.

I think brand recognition does sell. Hell, I really do want an Omega PO, but I will never buy one, because at my age I'm still trying to find a career and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars when I'd rather put that money towards investing in retirement.

My Hammy Viewtmatic is great. Also, I'd like to get a couple of microbrands and a Stowa, too. Nomos is just too expensive unless I buy one used.

In all fairness Longines does some modifications, a bit more than Stowa and Tag, but it's mainly cosmetic stuff, engraving, assembly and casing... Nothing crazy.

If I may, you would be much better advised to save a bit longer for a second hand Nomos, than settle for Stowa. One of my friends just acquired a Nomos second hand, 4 years old, a month ago, it's currently running at +1/2 sec a day! It's even better than my GO, I am jealous... And the SS case was polished, so it practically is new.

And for less than a $1000, just a couple of hundreds more than a new Stowa, you can get a superior Nomos :)

BrettWeir

Pics needed!

Congrats again!

As requested (please ignore the lighting and picture quality....I suck at taking pictures).

In order previously posted:
Gotta have a "practice sports/play with the kids" watch - G-Shock GW2500B
i9aajU29Twh3Q.JPG

Rolex GMT Master - 1961 (1675) - Pointed Crown Guards
ibxbjt1nu57oFO.JPG

Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic Bezel
iNCPdGPFLo6V6.JPG

Squale 20 Atmos DLC
i4wcEUziHhbek.JPG

As requested (please ignore the lighting and picture quality....I suck at taking pictures).

In order previously posted:

Wow! the Squale 20 Atmos on kaki nato is an absolute perfection! I am always reluctant to do so with a Rolex (Rolex are on bracelet, by principle :)), but it does work much better with a Squale. Bravo!

My only criticism, if I may, is that 3 of your watch are Rolex or Rolex-inspired, so the hands and bezel are a tiny bit too similar, but when you like a design... :)

BrettWeir

Wow! the Squale 20 Atmos on kaki nato is an absolute perfection! I am always reluctant to do so with a Rolex (Rolex are on bracelet, by principle :)), but it does work much better with a Squale. Bravo!

My only criticism, if I may, is that 3 of your watch are Rolex or Rolex-inspired, so the hands and bezel are a tiny bit too similar, but when you like a design... :)

Thanks! As for the 20 Atmos, the inspiration came from this:
img_rolex_stealth_project_x_designs_2.jpg

If I can get a bezel insert blacked out like that, it would be perfect ... for me.

No worries at all. We all have our tastes. Submariner style watches is definitely mine. One thing I can say, is that the bezel on the Steinhart is a work of art when it comes to grip. It's simply amazing.

As for the hands, same thing for me. I love the Submariner style/Mercedes hands.

Ohhhh....

Speaking of Natos, you should seriously check this guy out. His strap quality is on par, if not better than Maratac. He is cheaper, ships for free, AND a portion of every sale goes to the Wounded Warrior charity. He ships the same day you order, and only takes about 2 days to get to you. Heck, a guy ordered overseas from him, and it only took 3 days.
http://natostrapco.com/

His selection of styles is unmatched.

Oooops...I forgot I had this one....It's different than the others :) The battery is dead. The strap on it is from Clockwork Synergy on Amazon/Ebay. I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST this strap. It's awful.
ibf2eRgfoDm21B.JPG

Aske

/watch rant.

Excellent post, very well put. I'd add that Tissot and Hamilton fall into the same camp as Longines within Swatch, but crucially, they're priced accordingly. Tissot provides solid value for the products it offers, even if it's not doing an enormous amount to advance horology, as does Hamilton; especially given the latter's recent introduction of the H21/H31 movements. The power reserve modification is a small step, but much more significant than the cosmetic alterations typically made to ETA/Valjoux ébauches.

Say what you will about Swatch; they're a smart company and they generally know how to position their brands. Tissot offers excellent entry level timepieces from a diverse collection that skews toward the sporty. They have plenty of products that bleed into the same range as Hamilton; who cater to a similar market while offering several more expensive lines, and have maintained their brand identity via a number of distinct collections (Pan-Europ, Jazzmaster, Khaki Aviation/Field).

Longines is somewhat less comfortable. Overall build quality, fit and finish certainly seems to be a step above Hamilton, but their value is extremely poor given the massive increase in price. If a buyer appreciates their designs they offer a solid product, but their watches are generally quite conservative without being classic, and there are many alternatives for the price that offer a hell of a lot more watch for the money, regardless of a buyer's proclivities.

(I don't know if it's Baselworld or just random, but this thread has not been that active for months, yay! :p)

Excellent post, very well put. I'd add that Tissot and Hamilton fall into the same camp as Longines within Swatch, but crucially, they're priced accordingly. Tissot provides solid value for the products it offers, even if it's not doing an enormous amount to advance horology, as does Hamilton; especially given the latter's recent introduction of the H21/H31 movements. The power reserve modification is a small step, but much more significant than the cosmetic alterations typically made to ETA/Valjoux ébauches.

Say what you will about Swatch; they're a smart company and they generally know how to position their brands. Tissot offers excellent entry level timepieces from a diverse collection that skews toward the sporty. They have plenty of products that bleed into the same range as Hamilton; who cater to a similar market while offering several more expensive lines, and have maintained their brand identity via a number of distinct collections (Pan-Europ, Jazzmaster, Khaki Aviation/Field).

Longines is somewhat less comfortable. Overall build quality, fit and finish certainly seems to be a step above Hamilton, but their value is extremely poor given the massive increase in price. If a buyer appreciates their designs they offer a solid product, but their watches are generally quite conservative without being classic, and there are many alternatives for the price that offer a hell of a lot more watch for the money, regardless of a buyer's proclivities.

Amen.

I agree that Swatch are clearly among the best when it comes to positionning brands/price point and managing a large portfolio, and they win nearly everywhere. Great high ends (GO, Omega, Blancpain), good mid range (some Omega), and well, not so good (Longines, Rado), and fantastic low end (Tissot, Ham, Mido).

But I think mid range should be the territory of independant, not big groups.

Guy on a German forum took some really great pictures of his Lange & Söhne Perpetual Calendar: http://uhrforum.de/a-lange-and-soehne-ewiger-kalender-t134817#post1698088

The macro shots of the movement look great.

This is quite crazy. I guess Watch porn does not get any better.

LangePerpetual70.jpg

LangePerpetual63.jpg

nitewulf

Whoa. Nomos watches can get pretty damn expensive, too.

I like the Nomos Orion more. The lugs are more curved. Don't like the lugs on the Tanget.

I got the Tangomat, I had to get an automatic. Else, the Tangente is a lovely watch. Their GMTs and Power Reserves are just beautiful as well, but then you are really getting up there. It's a mistake asking my wife's opinion on anything, she was like...well the Power Reserve is the obvious choice...

Peru

Look I agree about the value of Longines, but I still have a dilemma concering the brand for my next expensive watch purchase (my last, hopefully, and probably some years off after a stable job situation) -- The challenge: Show me a moonphase watch that's as 'cheap' as the Master collection moon phase while looking relatively classy

7900de6f8842894f83e7dd11761f45a143f8b5f4_m.jpg

I have a Nomos-style Stowa, I have an Omega Seamaster, and now I just need that astronomical complication. I would buy a Speedmaster moonphase of course, but it's twice the price at least.

Look I agree about the value of Longines, but I still have a dilemma concering the brand for my next expensive watch purchase (my last, hopefully, and probably some years off after a stable job situation) -- The challenge: Show me a moonphase watch that's as 'cheap' as the Master collection moon phase while looking relatively classy

I have a Nomos-style Stowa, I have an Omega Seamaster, and now I just need that astronomical complication. I would buy a Speedmaster moonphase of course, but it's twice the price at least.

Quite a few actually:

Mido Baroncelli:

mido-m8607-4-m1-4-baroncelli-moon-phase-gent-automatic-leather-white-1202-28-DAVIS@15.jpg

Oris Artelier:

9088_581_7592_40_91_ls.png

Wempe Zeitmester

540730d1319316637-wempe-zeitmeister-moon-phase-s.149_wempe_ref.wm_350001.jpg

EPOS, a bit different, but still classy:

646522d1331236582-best-timepiece-moon-phase-3391_13_small.jpg

And, even for less, a second hand Maurice Lacroix would be cooler:

296324d1276884842-maurice-lacroix-masterpiece-moon-phase-sold-maurice-lacroix-moon-face.jpg

Peru

Ah, nice! The Mido looks pretty good with that leather strap. For the Wempe finding sales info online seems pretty hard , but it's also the kind of design I'm into.

maeh2k

This is quite crazy. I guess Watch porn does not get any better.

Magnificent. Thanks for sharing! The crispness of every facet of the watch is incredible. I particularly enjoy the engraving on the rotor and the geometry of the appliqué numerals, but every detail looks flawless.

Someone in the thread mentioned that this wasn't the first post of that kind from the OP. Turns out he collects Lange & Söhne watches. Found a couple more:
Datograph
Carbaret Mondphase
Saxonia
1815 Automatik
1815 Auf und Ab
Daymatic
Zeitwerk

I especially like the last two.

Edit: omg. His collection in 2010: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4875313&rid=0

Ah, nice! The Mido looks pretty good with that leather strap. For the Wempe finding sales info online seems pretty hard , but it's also the kind of design I'm into.

You should have a look at wempe.com, identify your AD, and contact them, A quick seach on forums tells me that the MSRP is around $3k, but I am sure you can negotiate a good rebate on it, it's Wempe, not Patek. And I promise you it will make you look cooler than the boring Longines :)

Someone in the thread mentioned that this wasn't the first post of that kind from the OP. Turns out he collects Lange & Söhne watches. Found a couple more:

I especially like the last two.

Edit: omg. His collection in 2010:

Ok, I knew I had seen this somewhere before, the guy posts it all over multiple forums, they are also on WUS. Crazy collection of the most exciting high end brand these days, and fantastic macro shot... I am crying a little bit inside when I see my grail - Zeitwerk - that close :)

Aske

Someone in the thread mentioned that this wasn't the first post of that kind from the OP. Turns out he collects Lange & Söhne watches.

My mind is blown. Guy should open a museum.

Ok, I knew I had seen this somewhere before, the guy posts it all over multiple forums, they are also on WUS. Crazy collection of the most exciting high end brand these days, and fantastic macro shot... I am crying a little bit inside when I see my grail - Zeitwerk - that close :)

Thankfully, I don't have that problem. As moved as I am by these watches as works of art, I've yet to find an A. Lange and Söhne that I'd be especially keen to actually wear. I think I'm the only guy who finds horology fascinating, but is rarely compelled to actually buy watches.

Eh, Nomos is built in-house everything and is very accurate, but I wouldn't call it leagues above Stowa. If in-house movements and crazy accuracy matters more to you, then spend the couple of grand on a Nomos. Stowa is at least as good as Nomos on the outside.

(I don't know if it's Baselworld or just random, but this thread has not been that active for months, yay! :p)

Amen.

I agree that Swatch are clearly among the best when it comes to positionning brands/price point and managing a large portfolio, and they win nearly everywhere. Great high ends (GO, Omega, Blancpain), good mid range (some Omega), and well, not so good (Longines, Rado), and fantastic low end (Tissot, Ham, Mido).

But I think mid range should be the territory of independant, not big groups.

I think when choosing a watch there is 4 factors that come into accout:
- Budget (Let's not fool ourselves here)
- History/Technicality of the brand: am i buying a statement, a mechanical masterpiece or something else
- Functionality
- Looks of the watch

And whatever i think of a brand i'll give my feeling/advice but if someone is attracted and think that they have a correct price for it, well they can go for it :)

I'm not immune to buy a watch on the look and i'd be wrong to throw stone at people to make gut decision:
My BR01-94 is from a rational point of view, a quiet expensive Omega speedmaster.
My 103st Bell & Ross by Sinn is a far more better bang for the bucks and a "truer" pilot watch. But i really liked the look of the BR01 and the fact that it was completely different of the rest of my collection.

Now back to save for the Nomos Weltzeit...

I think when choosing a watch there is 4 factors that come into accout:
- Budget (Let's not fool ourselves here)
- History/Technicality of the brand: am i buying a statement, a mechanical masterpiece or something else
- Functionality
- Looks of the watch

And whatever i think of a brand i'll give my feeling/advice but if someone is attracted and think that they have a correct price for it, well they can go for it :)

I'm not immune to buy a watch on the look and i'd be wrong to throw stone at people to make gut decision:
My BR01-94 is from a rational point of view, a quiet expensive Omega speedmaster.
My 103st Bell & Ross by Sinn is a far more better bang for the bucks and a "truer" pilot watch. But i really liked the look of the BR01 and the fact that it was completely different of the rest of my collection.

Now back to save for the Nomos Weltzeit...

LOL, I stopped reading at the bold sentence.

Eh, Nomos is built in-house everything and is very accurate, but I wouldn't call it leagues above Stowa. If in-house movements and crazy accuracy matters more to you, then spend the couple of grand on a Nomos. Stowa is at least as good as Nomos on the outside.

Oh yes it is leagues above Stowa, not for accuracy reasons, but for where they sit in the horological world. But the thing Stowa has over Longines - as we were discussing - is that they are not so crazily priced, even if not as competitive as Ham and Tissot.

My mind is blown. Guy should open a museum.

Thankfully, I don't have that problem. As moved as I am by these watches as works of art, I've yet to find an A. Lange and Söhne that I'd be especially keen to actually wear. I think I'm the only guy who finds horology fascinating, but is rarely compelled to actually buy watches.

That's a blessing in a capitalistic society where it's all about accumulating stuff for oneself... Bravo.

And come on, not a single lange? Not the Lange 1? not the datograph? :)

Dioblastoise

Neo Member
As a dirt poor student who fancies the look of the Stowa(particularly the Antea line), is there a (much much) cheaper alternative available?

Top Bottom