• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

StMeph

So, after talking with some folks who should know, the answer for US residents comes down to a question of state law. For example, Illinois requires that reisdents self-report a "use tax" for goods as part of their annual return where
  • the items bought are taxable in Illinois,
  • the items bought are used or consumed in Illinois, and
  • when the items are purchased, you either did not pay any sales tax to the seller, or paid sales tax at less than Illinois’ Use Tax rates of 6.25 percent for general merchandise and 1 percent for food and drugs.

So, mileage may vary by state, but for many states, you would be obligated to self-report your purchase on your annual tax returns and then pay a state tax rate; in Illinois's example, 6.25%, which is at least far less than VAT.

So this is similar to Amazon's tax, before they were compelled by states to collect it. Before, users were supposed to self-report the tax on purchases and pay it on their own. Of course no one did, and it was impossible to enforce.

If that's true, then this is basically the same. We may be obligated, but it is impossible to enforce, and basically no one does it.

So, after talking with some folks who should know, the answer for US residents comes down to a question of state law. For example, Illinois requires that reisdents self-report a "use tax" for goods as part of their annual return where
  • the items bought are taxable in Illinois,
  • the items bought are used or consumed in Illinois, and
  • when the items are purchased, you either did not pay any sales tax to the seller, or paid sales tax at less than Illinois’ Use Tax rates of 6.25 percent for general merchandise and 1 percent for food and drugs.

So, mileage may vary by state, but for many states, you would be obligated to self-report your purchase on your annual tax return and then pay a state tax rate; in Illinois's example, 6.25%, which is at least far less than VAT.

Thx a bunch for clarifying pwack. Definitely much more interesting to order from EU without VAT then... I would like to have the same rules in Canada...

I've been shopping around for a rugged Casio for everyday use and settled on this baby
chRoo9Q.jpg

I like how it looks at my arm, it's like it's wating for a action scene to begin any second. The band is titanium but after two days of use it is already showing sings of wear. Is this normal, never have had a metal band watch, only resin and leather.

I've been shopping around for a rugged Casio for everyday use and settled on this baby

I like how it looks at my arm, it's like it's wating for a action scene to begin any second. The band is titanium but after two days of use it is already showing sings of wear. Is this normal, never have had a metal band watch, only resin and leather.

Yes, this is actually not that strange.

Titanium is IN GENERAL much more likely to be scratched than Stainless Steel. It's also much more complicated to polish/fix a crack on Tit than on Stainless Steel (BUT it depends on the alloy... Some titanium alloys are actually tougher than any steel and do not take any scratches, but are more expensive...).

That said, Tit is non-allergic, stronger (means it can take more weight without breaking), much lighter, and impossible to corrode... That's what Titanium is about.

That's VERY personal, but I am a Stainless Steel guy, I need to feel the weight on my wrist, and be able to brush a scratch easily... Tastes I guess...

Ah, okay. I didn't do my research, but I remembered that titanium was light and tougher, didn't know about the scratching. Oh well, it's an active watch, A few scratches will only give it character ;)

Wow that is perfect... Outside of the price. Not sure I can justify that purchase.

I'm not sure that citizen is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll continue looking, and maybe talking myself into that Nomos.

I just happened to stumble upon the 'perpetual' mechanical watches brand. The movement is chinese, and they produce some classy perpetual calendar (with moonphase and chrono) in the affordable price range. (roughly $500).

Their dials are derivative of JLC, which is a good thing if you ask me, they also have a transparent case back which reveals a very complicated and detailled movement (even if industrial), and they have good reviews from several users. Personnally I am not that big a fan of their large bezel, but the rest of the design seems ok.

I cannot say anything on their precision on the long term though, but there is a 9 pages thread on WUS which seems to confirm their great reliability and good customer service, so...

chronograph_C-05_I-250x187.jpg

chronograph_C-06_III-250x187.jpg

chronograph_sapphire_back-250x187.jpg

And a wrist shot stolen on WUS:

08062012.jpg

Actually, this was for you nitewulf, world calendar and perpetual calendar mix up :):)

what's a decently priced automatic i could buy that has a perpetual calendar, i mean month, day, and date? or at least month, date?

Blu10

I just happened to stumble upon the 'perpetual' mechanical watches brand. The movement is chinese, and they produce some classy perpetual calendar (with moonphase and chrono) in the affordable price range. (roughly $500).

Their dials are derivative of JLC, which is a good thing if you ask me, they also have a transparent case back which reveals a very complicated and detailled movement (even if industrial), and they have good reviews from several users. Personnally I am not that big a fan of their large bezel, but the rest of the design seems ok.

I cannot say anything on their precision on the long term though, but there is a 9 pages thread on WUS which seems to confirm their great reliability and good customer service, so...

Some interesting watches there, nothing that meets my needs, but just out of curiosity...is it normal for Chinese retailers to not sell to Hong Kong?

Some interesting watches there, nothing that meets my needs, but just out of curiosity...is it normal for Chinese retailers to not sell to Hong Kong?

I have no idea why. And sorry, I mixed up too recommendations, one for a perpetual calendar, and one for a 'world calendar' watch, sorry :)

By the way watch GAF, you remember the gamefaqs 'battles' from 10 years ago with video game characters? Well, it seems the watch industry was inspired :)

http://ca.askmen.com/specials/2013_watch_awards/

nitewulf

thanks galacticsushiman...unfortunately i am not a big fan of the overall design. however i have been looking and have found some very nice watches i would like:

Max Bill by Junghans
mbAutomatic_027_3501_00.jpg

Bauhaus Watch by Kent Wang (a copy of the above basically, but for only $350, and its auto)
8065010048_16e2596108_b.jpg

And i am definitely set on the Orient Sun and Moon.

my wife isn't convinced by the Stowa Antea...but she likes the Nomos...wtf...

thanks galacticsushiman...unfortunately i am not a big fan of the overall design. however i have been looking and have found some very nice watches i would like:

Max Bill by Junghans

Bauhaus Watch by Kent Wang (a copy of the above basically, but for only $350, and its auto)

And i am definitely set on the Orient Sun and Moon.

my wife isn't convinced by the Stowa Antea...but she likes the Nomos...wtf...

Your wife has fantastic tastes, Nomos is a few leagues above Stowa :)

The Max Bill is a very fine watch, and much more affordable than Nomos, and still with a movement that's in house decorated (based on an ETA like Stowa/Tag/Longines...), the Kent Wang is a good value for money, but keep in mind this is a chinese auto, and a very rare one, so may not be the easiest thing to service in the future.

*looks at the multiple electronic music threads scandal*

So, I propose, a single official thread for:

Sports Watch, Dress watch, Casual/everyday watches, another for affordable (less than 1k), another for mid range (less than 5k), and one for Super high end with only PP/AP/VC. And we also need something for smart watches.

Just kidding, but hey :)

Your last chance to vote for the IW Magazine "Watch Madness". Only 4 left, I'd go with the AP personnally.

Audemars-Piguet1.jpg

nitewulf

i really like this one, is Laco a good brand? it is comparatively pricey:

386708d1329074462-laco-navy-36mm-creme-dial-photo-request-861614-marine.jpg

Basically I realized I like Marine watches...simple, blue hands, uncomplicated dials.

i really like this one, is Laco a good brand? it is comparatively pricey:

Basically I realized I like Marine watches...simple, blue hands, uncomplicated dials.

It's very respectable, and it has a more authentic/raw look than Stowa.

The only issue I would have with this choice is that Laco is respected mainly for its history as a Flieger watch maker, definitely not Marine... But hey, still a very cool watch.

nitewulf

i found a Nomos Ludwig Automatic Anthacite for 1300 EUR, is that a good deal?

ludwig_automatik_anthrazit_front_z1.png

problem is...i much preffer the tangomat white look...this would be perfect though, with arabic numerals.

i found a Nomos Ludwig Automatic Anthacite for 1300 EUR, is that a good deal?

problem is...i much preffer the tangomat white look...this would be perfect though, with arabic numerals.

Nomos is always a good choice, and the Ludwig has a very classic and mimalistic dial which I love. What year, state?

I searched for 2 minutes and found a model 'new' for a bit less :) http://www.chrono24.com/en/nomos/glashuette-ludwig-glasboden-33mm-neu--id2223944.htm?man=nomos&modelId=280&showpage=&sortorder=1&urlSubpath=/nomos/ludwig--mod280.htm&models=280&manufacturerIds=185

nitewulf

Nomos is always a good choice, and the Ludwig has a very classic and mimalistic dial which I love. What year, state?

I searched for 2 minutes and found a model 'new' for a bit less :) http://www.chrono24.com/en/nomos/glashuette-ludwig-glasboden-33mm-neu--id2223944.htm?man=nomos&modelId=280&showpage=&sortorder=1&urlSubpath=/nomos/ludwig--mod280.htm&models=280&manufacturerIds=185

but i found an automatic...it seems like a good price, they are saying new. its a small jeweler i guess.

maeh2k

Stumbled upon some Braun (Quartz) watches on amazon and I have to say I like them quite a bit. As much as I love the design of the Stowa Antea or the Nomos Tangomat, they are quite a bit out of my price range (still in college; also, I don't like walking around with fragile, expensive object). The design of the Brauns goes in the same direction and it's rather affordable.

Braun BN0024:
81KEpyGdg5L._AA1500_.jpg

Braun BN0021:
81lhZ6RbmLL._AA1500_.jpg

There are also some versions with date and chrono functions, but visually I don't like them as much. I think I like that they don't have lugs, but I don't know if that makes it impossible to exchange the wrist band.

Stumbled upon some Braun (Quartz) watches on amazon and I have to say I like them quite a bit. As much as I love the design of the Stowa Antea or the Nomos Tangomat, they are quite a bit out of my price range (still in college; also, I don't like walking around with fragile, expensive object). The design of the Brauns goes in the same direction and it's rather affordable.

There are also some versions with date and chrono functions, but visually I don't like them as much. I think I like that they don't have lugs, but I don't know if that makes it impossible to exchange the wrist band.

Just to switch from quartz to auto, keeping the same clean and modern dial, you should take a look at BOTTA, they should appeal to you (especially the TRES model).

Here is mine:

tres_auto_be-leder.128161517_std.jpg

maeh2k

Just to switch from quartz to auto, keeping the same clean and modern dial, you should take a look at BOTTA, they should appeal to you (especially the TRES model).

Here is mine:

tres_auto_be-leder.128161517_std.jpg

Hadn't heard of Botta before, but the TRES does indeed look quite nice. Though in that price range I'd rather get a Stowa.

nitewulf

the Bottas are nice looking, and as are the Xetum:

xetum-tyndall-04.jpg

but its just that, if i am going to be spending that much, i might as well be buying a nomos, so i have my mind set. but i really do dig this look.

the Bottas are nice looking, and as are the Xetum:

but its just that, if i am going to be spending that much, i might as well be buying a nomos, so i have my mind set. but i really do dig this look.

100% agreed with your analysis, if you are to save up, go Nomos, if not go for a cheap alternative, but don't settle for something in between. My $0,02.

Top Bottom