• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

maeh2k

A quick search in this thread will point to Rodina :)

Even though I absolutely love the design of the Nomos, I don't know if I'd want a Rodina. I have some concerns when it comes to their quality. In one thread about the Rodinas someone wrote that his broke after a couple of weeks. I think I'd rather save up for the real thing (or a Stowa) at some point in the future than buying the cheap knock-off now.

Even though I absolutely love the design of the Nomos, I don't know if I'd want a Rodina. I have some concerns when it comes to their quality. In one thread about the Rodinas someone wrote that his broke after a couple of weeks. I think I'd rather save up for the real thing (or a Stowa) at some point in the future than buying the cheap knock-off now.

Oh, you are more than right, and that works at all levels, but to each budget it's watch :)

maeh2k

Last week I bought an Aristo U-Boot (ETA 2824-2, 38.5 mm diameter, 10.5 mm height). I bought it (barely) used and in great condition.

Today I took a couple of photos. When it's well-lit, the dial looks white. Otherwise it gets that green tint because of the Superluminova.

WP_003203.jpg
WP_20130421_009.jpg
WP_20130421_007.jpg
WP_20130421_019.jpg

nomoment

I think I might actually buy that watch soon. I really love the design of my current watch (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47477036&postcount=1805), but I'd like something other than a metal wristband. It bugs me that on my watch I can't easily change the length of the wristband (you'd have to take out/insert chain links). In its current state it often feels a bit too tight.
I know it's not really worthy of Watch-GAF, but I'm not prepared to spend more that 200 Euros at the moment.

It may be a bit overpriced for a Quarz watch of that quality, but it's 146 Euros on amazon and because I recently joined amazon prime I have a 20 Euro coupon for clothing, jewels, and watches, which brings it down to 126 Euros. That seems somewhat reasonable.

I really like the design of the dial, though I'm not quite as fond of the wristband (with its wide holes) and how it's integrated into the case

Wrist shot I found online:
maeh: If you haven't bought this yet, I would advise against it. I purchased this watch a couple of years ago and was really disappointed in its build quality and strap. Only part of the watch case is stainless steel, so you get a lot of plastic. The strap is also extremely cheap and thin feeling. They used a very poor grade of leather. The case also isn't sealed very well, so you get visible dust and debris on the face of the watch. It was a bitch getting this watch serviced, even though it was still under warranty.

Even though I did get a lot of compliments on the watch, I would recommend spending a bit more and going with some of the other bauhaus style watches in this thread.

Aske

That's a blessing in a capitalistic society where it's all about accumulating stuff for oneself... Bravo.

And come on, not a single lange? Not the Lange 1? not the datograph? :)

The datograph is the the closest AL&S comes to offering a watch I'd wear...but as magnificent as it is, I don't love the big date, the understated case and lugs leave me cold; and at 41mm it's far too small to get my motor going. Case geometry is one of my biggest watch turn-ons, so I skew toward chunky, toolish timepieces and away from dressier watches. I appreciate tiny movements and delicate designs from a horological perspective, but I'm just not happy without a big slab of steel on my wrist.

maeh2k

maeh: If you haven't bought this yet, I would advise against it. I purchased this watch a couple of years ago and was really disappointed in its build quality and strap. Only part of the watch case is stainless steel, so you get a lot of plastic. The strap is also extremely cheap and thin feeling. They used a very poor grade of leather. The case also isn't sealed very well, so you get visible dust and debris on the face of the watch. It was a bitch getting this watch serviced, even though it was still under warranty.

Even though I did get a lot of compliments on the watch, I would recommend spending a bit more and going with some of the other bauhaus style watches in this thread.

Thanks for your opinion on the Braun.
Actually I ended up buying the Aristo in the post just above yours :)

Last week I bought an Aristo U-Boot (ETA 2824-2, 38.5 mm diameter, 10.5 mm height). I bought it (barely) used and in great condition.

Today I took a couple of photos. When it's well-lit, the dial looks white. Otherwise it gets that green tint because of the Superluminova.

Super nice! I am glad to have helped a fellow WatchGaffer :)

Good call on the gif with the pendulum, that's quite cool!

The Superluminova is intense by the way.

Just to challenge you a bit, I am pretty sure you can find a cooler/more unique NATO for it :)

Enjoy!

The datograph is the the closest AL&S comes to offering a watch I'd wear...but as magnificent as it is, I don't love the big date, the understated case and lugs leave me cold; and at 41mm it's far too small to get my motor going. Case geometry is one of my biggest watch turn-ons, so I skew toward chunky, toolish timepieces and away from dressier watches. I appreciate tiny movements and delicate designs from a horological perspective, but I'm just not happy without a big slab of steel on my wrist.

While my tastes are probably at the other end of the spectrum - small wrist, so anything above 41mm is crazy to me, and I tend to value movement a bit more than I should :) - I understand your point of view.

I am currently on the look out for a high end sporty, and while I would love to go with a small vintage 36mm APRO or for a second hand SS Nautilus, these days I am (exceptionnally) looking a lot at some (oversized :p) Linde Werdelin models which you may like...

A few pics of the models I am currently browsing...

linde_werdelin_spidolite_tech_green_3.png

linde_werdelin_spidolite_ii_titanium_blue_face_1.jpg

f.jpg

linde_werdelin_okt_gold_titanium_wrist2_2.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm considering a budget watch in the £100-£200 bracket. Braun was a contender but I read they have suspect build quality. Tissot also looks nice but I'd feel a little like I was paying the price of a fairly respectable brand but most of the general public wouldn't recognise the name so what's the point? Not gonna lie, part of the motivation of me getting a watch is the prestige/fashion aspect otherwise I'll stick to my iPhone.

Which brings me to Hugo boss and this watch in particular amazon link

What's the consensus on Hugo boss watches? I read that they are supposedly decent compared to a lot of other big brand fashion labels watch ranges. It's a big name, decent looking watch for a cheap price.

I could still go Braun/tissot or for something else with a cleaner look but what do you guys think of this Hugo one?

Wow, any similar watches to the Daymatic from A. Lange?

Something that's nowhere near the $40K price range lol

Glashutte Original Panoreserve is your best bet... But it's still $10k :p

929299d1357703670-glash%C3%BCtte-original-panoreserve-go_panoreserve_omjlc.jpg

I'm considering a budget watch in the £100-£200 bracket. Braun was a contender but I read they have suspect build quality. Tissot also looks nice but I'd feel a little like I was paying the price of a fairly respectable brand but most of the general public wouldn't recognise the name so what's the point? Not gonna lie, part of the motivation of me getting a watch is the prestige/fashion aspect otherwise I'll stick to my iPhone.

Which brings me to Hugo boss and this watch in particular amazon link

What's the consensus on Hugo boss watches? I read that they are supposedly decent compared to a lot of other big brand fashion labels watch ranges. It's a big name, decent looking watch for a cheap price.

I could still go Braun/tissot or for something else with a cleaner look but what do you guys think of this Hugo one?

General rule: buy a watch from a watch maker, not a fashion brand improvising itself as watch manufacturer putting a generic quartz in a derivative case. Go for Tissot, they have some lovely and very inexpensive ETA based models, you'll do yourself a big favor, I promise :)

Also, buy a watch for yourself, not for people consideration...

Aske

While my tastes are probably at the other end of the spectrum - small wrist, so anything above 41mm is crazy to me, and I tend to value movement a bit more than I should :) - I understand your point of view.

My wrists are fairly average at 7", but they're very flat, so I can get away with a 52mm lug-to-lug with no difficulty. I tend to think whether a watch wears large or small is more dependent on the dial size and general proportions (the shrinking effect of a diver's bezel for example) than diameter, but 44mm is generally my sweet spot, and I can't see myself going below 42mm.

There's nothing wrong with valuing movements - I couldn't enjoy a watch with a funky engine no matter how nice the case; and conversely, there's so much to appreciate about a historically, mechanically, or culturally interesting movement even if you never open the caseback.

I am currently on the look out for a high end sporty, and while I would love to go with a small vintage 36mm APRO or for a second hand SS Nautilus, these days I am (exceptionnally) looking a lot at some (oversized :p) Linde Werdelin models which you may like...

A few pics of the models I am currently browsing...

The Spidospeed would probably be my pick, but the green Spidolite is more intriguing just because it's so visually arresting. The crown colour seems wrong, but the green accents are sweet, and I love the date wheel. I'd be very interested to see these in person. I suspect the cut outs in the skeletonized cases would rub me the wrong way - and I object to the futuristic lightweight materials in the strongest possible terms, because half the fun of a large watch is clearly its ability to double as a boat anchor. Looking forward to the photos of whichever you pick up; it's awesome to see WatchGAF's various aquisitions.

Honestly, most people won't care about the name on your watch unless it's Rolex. You tend to make more of a statement by wearing a watch that suits you and compliments the rest of your look.

I don't know anything about Hugo Boss watches, but it sounds like you're weighing the pros and cons of buying a watch primarily as a timepiece versus buying primarily as fashion statement. I'd suggest trying on a bunch in person. If you're new to watches, don't buy anything until you've checked out a few in the steel. Go to a few stores and try on some timepieces. This will tell you what size and weight work best for you, what style; sapphire or mineral crystal, mechanical or quartz; etc. If you already know what you want in that regard, inspect some Tissots and HB watches: get a feel for which seems like a better buy for your money.

maeh2k

Super nice! I am glad to have helped a fellow WatchGaffer :)

Good call on the gif with the pendulum, that's quite cool!

The Superluminova is intense by the way.

Just to challenge you a bit, I am pretty sure you can find a cooler/more unique NATO for it :)

I'm sure you are right. I've already looked at the site of a strap shop. Being able to replace the NATO without tools certain expertise is something I really like about it.
However, I really like the gray. If I had had my pick of color I might have chosen the gray one, anyway. Really like it. Subtle and fits the watch with the green tint of the dial.

At some point I might try a leather nato strap: http://www.miros-time.de/durchzugs-bänder/nato-leder/

I think I'd like all colors except the red one. Especially camel, tobacco, and mocha.

My wrists are fairly average at 7", but they're very flat, so I can get away with a 52mm lug-to-lug with no difficulty. I tend to think whether a watch wears large or small is more dependent on the dial size and general proportions (the shrinking effect of a diver's bezel for example) than diameter, but 44mm is generally my sweet spot, and I can't see myself going below 42mm.

There's nothing wrong with valuing movements - I couldn't enjoy a watch with a funky engine no matter how nice the case; and conversely, there's so much to appreciate about a historically, mechanically, or culturally interesting movement even if you never open the caseback.

You are lucky, with my super thin wrist, I am always around 36 - 41mm, even my GO PML, which is a 40mm, is already at my max :(
But I do agree, case size can be misleading, as some wears larger, and other smaller - that's my hope on the full black Spido from LW for instance...

Yep, I 100% agree on movements, but again, I understand some Panerai fan could argue case-making is a science too with its own merit, it just does not work on me as much as a nicely crafted and historically relevant movement :)

The Spidospeed would probably be my pick, but the green Spidolite is more intriguing just because it's so visually arresting. The crown colour seems wrong, but the green accents are sweet, and I love the date wheel. I'd be very interested to see these in person. I suspect the cut outs in the skeletonized cases would rub me the wrong way - and I object to the futuristic lightweight materials in the strongest possible terms, because half the fun of a large watch is clearly its ability to double as a boat anchor. Looking forward to the photos of whichever you pick up; it's awesome to see WatchGAF's various aquisitions.

I agree on your picks, the green Spidolite, while a bit 'too much' at first glance, is just exciting in that it complements a dress watch way better than a versatile Sporty (like the Nautilus or the APRO), and could work with a t-shirt on a bike, when a dress/versatile can feel inadequate.

Another choice I did not mention would be a second hand aquatimer, those Titanium 2000 models are really cool, not that expensive, and still 42mm (now everything is 44+...).

And that new Vulcain reissue from the 70s looks fantastic too... Arf.

That said, the sport watch is a long term thing, I have to save up for a few months, so please don't expect a Nautilus, or a LW wrist shot in the next few weeks :p
But I promise I'll post a few shots in this thread when the time comes, and I will share with you guys the possible choices along the way.

I'm sure you are right. I've already looked at the site of a strap shop. Being able to replace the NATO without tools certain expertise is something I really like about it.
However, I really like the gray. If I had had my pick of color I might have chosen the gray one, anyway. Really like it. Subtle and fits the watch with the green tint of the dial.

At some point I might try a leather nato strap: http://www.miros-time.de/durchzugs-bänder/nato-leder/

I think I'd like all colors except the red one. Especially camel, tobacco, and mocha.

You can try to visit a shop where they sell NATO and try a few on, it's can be hard to 'imagine' how it could look. But I agree that they grey is quite subtle and fits well, it's just a way to customize the item, and make it a bit more YOUR watch, and no one else's :)

Takuan

I doubt they qualify as "Fine Wristwatches", but what I've seen of Nixon's 51-30 leather line looks quite nice. Big fan of this particular colorway:

a124-1388-view1bhi16.jpg

Not yet released, though.

I know i should love them, but I find myself having a hard time justifying a GS over a Seiko SARB at less than 10% of the cost.

Yep you should :)

let me please explain how I see it:

In Japan, if you want to become a sushi chef, during 8 years you will cook rice.
After 8 years, that's in the case you are gifted, you will be allowed to start using a knife, and start cutting fish (for a few years). After decades of learning, practicing, practicing again, and practicing again, you will at some point become a sushi master, most probably in your 40s-50s. Then you will train pupils, and so on...

Well, in Japan, sword making, sushi cooking, and watch manufacturing are following the same model: you practice all your life, to go up the ladder, and finally earn the respect of your pears, and the right to craft, exercise your art at the top level.

Seiko has a council of allegedly 3 'watch masters', all 60+ if I am to believe rumors, whose hands are ONLY used to assemble GS. Those guys have been putting movements in SARBs 10 years ago, and earned the right to work on GS after decades of practicing, simply because they are the best watch makers in the archipelago.

Also, SARB are still assembled by hands, but parts of the movement are industrial, not the same as the "100% made by hands" GS can claim.

So, in terms of process, GS are actually with the Patek, JLC, Lange of this world, when their pricing is much more aligned with Omega for instance.

So yeah, excellent bang for bucks, an exclusive feeling (GS is still very rare in NA), and that fantastic feeling of being the only one in the know: you are wearing a Seiko, a watch that 99.99% of the people will think of as 'low end/entry level' when it is actually a super high end, the perfect disguise :)

That said, they have issues, their design lacks a bit of a signature/originality, but it's far outweighed by their qualities IMO.

GS FTW!!!!

I doubt they qualify as "Fine Wristwatches", but what I've seen of Nixon's 51-30 leather line looks quite nice. Big fan of this particular colorway:

Not yet released, though.

$600 for a cheap Swiss Quartz seems extremely expensive, and it's 51mm, we are talking a wall clock around your wrist, so I would try something on with a similar size before ordering :)

...Oh, and this is nothing but my personal taste, but I really think it does not look that great, a bit like the watch of my boring Geography teacher (which he wears with this and this)

Takuan

$600 for a cheap Swiss Quartz seems extremely expensive, and it's 51mm, we are talking a wall clock around your wrist, so I would try something on with a similar size before ordering :)

...Oh, and this is nothing but my personal taste, but I really think it does not look that great, a bit like the watch of my boring Geography teacher (which he wears with this and this)
It's actually $450 MSRP, which I still find overpriced given the fact that it's a fashion watch more than anything. I'd pay $250 or so, which is about how much the black-dialed version costs on Amazon. Regarding the style, I've always liked brown leather straps on a light face, so I suppose my taste is that of a boring old man. ;)

Good call on the size; I like a big/bold watch face, but I have decidedly girlish wrists for my size, so if I do wind up buying one it'll be after I've had a chance to see how it looks and feels.

I'm also partial to this (Magrette Regattare):

I can't even remember how I stumbled upon this brand, but their styles are pretty nice. They're a boutique out of New Zealand, I believe.

pwack

2011-regattare3.jpg

I can't even remember how I stumbled upon this brand, but their styles are pretty nice. They're a boutique out of New Zealand, I believe.

I like the Magrette. It uses what can generally be called an Italian style cushion case, made popular by Panerai. I have a Benarus that has a similar case, although it lacks the internal bezel (and is made out of bronze). Benarus does have non-bronze versions coming out later this year.

You should also check out the Halios Laguna. Different case (more '70s cushion style), but similar enough. It also has a sporty dial and an internal rotating bezel. And it would look nice on leather if that is your thing.

Halios_Laguna_jaw_01-vi.jpg

Takuan

I like the Magrette. It uses what can generally be called an Italian style cushion case, made popular by Panerai. I have a Benarus that has a similar case, although it lacks the internal bezel (and is made out of bronze). Benarus does have non-bronze versions coming out later this year.

You should also check out the Halios Laguna. Different case (more '70s cushion style), but similar enough. It also has a sporty dial and an internal rotating bezel. And it would look nice on leather if that is your thing.

Halios_Laguna_jaw_01-vi.jpg

I've checked out Halios as well and prefer the styling of the Magrette. It also helps that the Regatarre is cheaper by a couple of bills, though I think that's because of the leather strap and the fact that it uses a cheaper movement (and is criticized for it, I believe).

It's actually $450 MSRP, which I still find overpriced given the fact that it's a fashion watch more than anything. I'd pay $250 or so, which is about how much the black-dialed version costs on Amazon. Regarding the style, I've always liked brown leather straps on a light face, so I suppose my taste is that of a boring old man. ;)

Good call on the size; I like a big/bold watch face, but I have decidedly girlish wrists for my size, so if I do wind up buying one it'll be after I've had a chance to see how it looks and feels.

It's priced at $600 in the Nixon shop.

The Magrette is 10 times more interesting and respectable, and 44mm is much more fit to your wrist :), + Myota are reliable and cheap movements.

If you like the Panerai style casing, let me please propose a Lum Tec? Same Myota movement, casing made in NA:

m50-2.jpg

m48-2.jpg

Funny, just stumbled upon this Nomos Tangente Toki edition for Japan, maximum coolness!!!

b4378c37a2bb9bf739daaf1479089d14.jpg

pwack

Here's today's thought. I have my own pros and cons, but I'd love to have people chime in!

Both of these are not in the budget. So I have to choose one or the other.

Should I keep this (excuse my cuffs):
LHx1L1y.jpg

Or sell it and get this:
35705000-60.jpg

StMeph

Here's today's thought. I have my own pros and cons, but I'd love to have people chime in!

Should I keep this (excuse my cuffs): <diver>

Or sell it and get this: <speedy>

This is the second time you've brought up the bronze diver, so I suspect that your heart is not really in that watch. I personally think it's handsome, and fills a pretty unique space, at least compared to a Speedmaster. But since you've asked about it more than once, I would wager that you are not really in love with this watch to begin with.

Speedy is iconic and has plenty of history. There's not much needed to say about it.

But they're totally different stylistically.

Should I keep this (excuse my cuffs):

Or sell it and get this:

Hey pwack, the quick thought of a snob (but you know that already):

First, I think you acquired the Belarus a couple of month ago max, so if you are already questioning it, and thinking about upgrading, that means you should. I mean, it's not like you had the watch for years and had multiple up and downs...
I agree that it's a beautiful and very original piece, but if you are bored with it after a few weeks, it's a strong sign, and that feeling will most likely not change (I went through this already :))...

The speedy could very well be the most iconic watch ever, I have tremendous respect for its history, and I must admit I always found the watch gorgeous and one of the most versatile model ever, but, and that's a bit but, there is speedy and speedy.

Yes, the 60s vintage speedy with a Lemania cal. 321 is pretty much as expensive as new one, but it's THE Speedmaster, surely the one model I would personally go for (on ebay around 4 to 5 grands depending on the state).

I mean, come on, look at this beauty:

IMG_3068_zpsaa105883.jpg

FYI, a very good friend has a Cal. 321 from 1966, after a $500 service last year, the watch looks like new (polishing) and, I know it's crazy, runs at +1 sec/day. That's a testimony to the quality of the Omega handcrafting of the 60s...

New Tudor:

TudorHeritageChronoBlue-2.jpg

I wish they'd bring back the Paul Newman watch, and I'm not talking about the knock off watch.

EDIT-The Tudor has a 2892 movement? For that price, eff that.

Now this watch, GIMME GIMME GIMME:

PatekPhilippe5170G-5.jpg

shuri

Banned
This is my watch:

citizen-aw1018-55e-watches.jpg

Random people noticed it and said it was nice, but damn, compared so what you guys are sporting, I feel ghetto.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Someone in the thread mentioned that this wasn't the first post of that kind from the OP. Turns out he collects Lange & Söhne watches. Found a couple more:
Datograph
Carbaret Mondphase
Saxonia
1815 Automatik
1815 Auf und Ab
Daymatic
Zeitwerk

I especially like the last two.

Edit: omg. His collection in 2010: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4875313&rid=0

Speaking of Lange collections...

http://alang.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-10/pi-3516926/ti-567991/s-0/

Reading more about NOMOS, I'm definately falling in love with them now. I really want a world timer, but that's way out of my price range:

img57892706.jpg

I wonder if they will unveil a chronograph at Baselworld.

Aske

Here's today's thought. I have my own pros and cons, but I'd love to have people chime in![/IMG]

Chiming in with support for the Speedmaster Professional, simply because I'd rank it higher on my personal lust-scale than just about any other timepiece. My favourite Speedy is the new co-axial chrono, and I hope that someday I'll be in a position to buy one. It's got the size, the domed sapphire caseback, and the glorious 9300 movement. In terms of design it's more suited to my tastes than the Professional Moonwatch by a fair margin. But it doesn't have the history, the 1861, or the classic tri-compax design in that iconic 42mm case. So even with a 9300 on my wrist, I could still see myself picking up a Professional Moonwatch.

Speaking of Speedmasters, here are a few new models from Basel:

Speedmaster '57
f5jzoFH.jpg

R8Ubk9g.jpg

Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon
1Ib1dLv.jpg

Both use Omega's new 9300 movement, but crucially, the '57 is sized at 41mm. So now there's a 9300 for those who prefer smaller cases. The brushed steel tachymeter is very attractive, but I don't care for the two-tone bracelet and sub-dial designs, and that case is just depressing compared to the original.

The Dark Side is essentially the Speedmaster Coaxial Chrono 9300, but with a ceramic dial and tachymeter (which I like) and a ceramic case (which I do not).

pwack

Chiming in with support for the Speedmaster Professional, simply because I'd rank it higher on my personal lust-scale than just about any other timepiece. My favourite Speedy is the new co-axial chrono, and I hope that someday I'll be in a position to buy one. It's got the size, the domed sapphire caseback, and the glorious 9300 movement. In terms of design it's more suited to my tastes than the Professional Moonwatch by a fair margin. But it doesn't have the history, the 1861, or the classic tri-compax design in that iconic 42mm case. So even with a 9300 on my wrist, I could still see myself picking up a Professional Moonwatch.

I appreciate all the thoughts from folks. I like my bronze Benarus, but am not sure it is worth what I paid for it (or what I would get flipping it). The bronze is what makes it cool, but it also adds about $1000 to the price tag. My small collection has 2 44mm Italian style divers, and I am contemplating letting this one go.

As for Speedies, I'd probably go for a nice, lightly used 3570.50 with a hesalite front, steel back, and 1861 movement.

Glashutte Original just unveilled a few new models at Baselworld this morning, and I must say they look perfect again, this brand impresses more each year...

The Senator Tourbillon:

1061213d1366893001-transcendent-elegance-glasshutte-original-senator-tourbillon-pic-06.jpg

Swatch brings it on!

Quite a revolution, Swatch just presented an automatic watch, with date, which is 100% done by robots in less than 20 minutes, keeps great time (less than 5 sec deviation/day), has a 90h power reserve, and cost a few more than a hundred CHF... Probably the same in $...

More detail here

DSC02756-1024x683.jpg

DSC02773-1024x683.jpg

DSC02774-1024x683.jpg

Glashutte Original just unveilled a few new models at Baselworld this morning, and I must say they look perfect again, this brand impresses more each year...

The Senator Tourbillon:

1061213d1366893001-transcendent-elegance-glasshutte-original-senator-tourbillon-pic-06.jpg

Swatch brings it on!

Quite a revolution, Swatch just presented an automatic watch, with date, which is 100% done by robots in less than 20 minutes, keeps great time (less than 5 sec deviation/day), has a 90h power reserve, and cost a few more than a hundred CHF... Probably the same in $...

More detail here

DSC02756-1024x683.jpg

DSC02773-1024x683.jpg

DSC02774-1024x683.jpg

This could be a sensation for the affordable market.

The thing is. It doesn't come with the 'exclusive' label attached to it. It could just as well have the same effect as quartz. It will be supported by the lower end of the market but the higher end will stick to the more complicated movements. Quality is a prerequisite for the latter but it certainly has to have some panache to it.

This could be a sensation for the affordable market.

The thing is. It doesn't come with the 'exclusive' label attached to it. It could just as well have the same effect as quartz. It will be supported by the lower end of the market but the higher end will stick to the more complicated movements. Quality is a prerequisite for the latter but it certainly has to have some panache to it.

Agreed that this is big news for the affordable range. But I am not sure it needs that 'label', I mean, an automatic SEIKO is still branded SEIKO like its quartz counterpart, and that does not make them less desirable (at least in my mind).
Good thing the Japanese (Orient, Seiko) have a new competitor though, it will have a positive competitive impact on the market, and place Switzerland on the 'affordable watches' map again.

On your last thought, high end is all about 'made by hands by specialists' from beginning to end, this 'industrial/robotized' pipeline will not even impact people interested in high end watches IMO. it's just something else.

The Senator Tourbillon:

Swatch brings it on!

More detail here

DSC02756-1024x683.jpg

DSC02773-1024x683.jpg

DSC02774-1024x683.jpg

Oh man! Thought open heart watches couldn't do date support! How much is that Senator?

maeh2k

The Senator Tourbillon:

Swatch brings it on!

More detail here

DSC02756-1024x683.jpg

DSC02773-1024x683.jpg

DSC02774-1024x683.jpg

That GO looks amazing. However, as someone who values design more than automatic movements, I couldn't care less for that (ugly) swatch. Just because it's affordable and has an automatic movement doesn't make it desirable to me. If someone wanted an affordable Swatch with less than 5 seconds deviation a day, they could get literally any Swatch.

Oh man! Thought open heart watches couldn't do date support! How much is that Senator?

Are you sure you want to know? :)
Their last model with a similar movement, the Senator Sixties Tourbillon, was around $90k, ok the case is not rose gold, but something tells me it will still be a ridiculously high price. ($60k+).

That GO looks amazing. However, as someone who values design more than automatic movements, I couldn't care less for that (ugly) swatch. Just because it's affordable and has an automatic movement doesn't make it desirable to me. If someone wanted an affordable Swatch with less than 5 seconds deviation a day, they could get literally any Swatch.

You find it ugly? I thought it is quite modern, readable, and very Swatchy, not a necessarily a bad thing :)

I agree with your point, if your objective is just accuracy, you are better off with a quartz, but I am still amazed that ETA and Nivarox, usually pricing movement at a few hundred bucks, and still providing movements to 'a couple of grands worth' watch are able to produce an automatic movement that quickly, cheaply and that efficiently.

You are right in that it can be just a figment of imagination, and not really a benefit consumers will care for though :)

The last few days I've been searching for a Uboat homage that was part of a pass around project of the homageforum. I love the design and wanted to try this outrageously chunky watch for a few dollars.
5898962703_095eaa53e5_b.jpg

Tracked down the original seller but he said "no more stock for hw07 forever." :(

I know there are many other variants but none have this specific colour scheme. Also, most of them are even larger at 50mm. I guess for 80 dollar I could just try another but the above one remains my holy grail.

The last few days I've been searching for a Uboat homage that was part of a pass around project of the homageforum. I love the design and wanted to try this outrageously chunky watch for a few dollars.
5898962703_095eaa53e5_b.jpg

Tracked down the original seller but he said "no more stock for hw07 forever." :(

I know there are many other variants but none have this specific colour scheme. Also, most of them are even larger at 50mm. I guess for 80 dollar I could just try another but the above one remains my holy grail.

Did you browse TW STEEL? They have a lot of design reminiscent of the Classico and the Flightdeck (this Parnis is a flightdeck I believe).

FYI, I had a Classico for a 3 month and sold it, it was fun to try the wall clock on wrist thingy, but it became super boring quite quickly :)

Edit: isn't this the watch you are looking for?

Are you sure you want to know? :)
Their last model with a similar movement, the Senator Sixties Tourbillon, was around $90k, ok the case is not rose gold, but something tells me it will still be a ridiculously high price. ($60k+).

Lol! Should have known!

So, do folks like you just like looking at watch-porn, or do you actually own expensive watches like this? What's the most expensive watch you guys own?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Lol! Should have known!

So, do folks like you just like looking at watch-porn, or do you actually own expensive watches like this? What's the most expensive watch you guys own?

IWC Aquatimer Chrono, $4500, but I also like to look at more expensive watch-pr0n...

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Lol! Should have known!

I like looking at watch-porn, and seriously doubt I'll ever been in a position to buy a $90k watch.

The most expensive one I own happens to be the one I'm wearing today, my Breitling Superocean (think I paid $7300 for it or so, at an authorized dealer):

Lol! Should have known!

You can browse the thread last pages to see my Glashutte Original Panomaticlunar ($10k+), and I had a few 2 to 5k models, not anymore though. I want to add a few high end timepieces to my collection in the future, but $80k+ is out of the equation for now :)

Did you browse TW STEEL? They have a lot of design reminiscent of the Classico and the Flightdeck (this Parnis is a flightdeck I believe).

FYI, I had a Classico for a 3 month and sold it, it was fun to try the wall clock on wrist thingy, but it became super boring quite quickly :)

Edit: isn't this the watch you are looking for?

Close, but that isn't the exact watch I want. It's PVD but not with a stainless steel bezel. I've contemplated taking that one, but 50mm seems a bit too much for me. You can easily see the difference between the 43/45mm and the 50mm version by looking at the 12 and 6 numbers on the dial.

pwack

Lol! Should have known!

I've really only been interested in watch collecting for the last 2-3 years. Went through a phase of G-Shocks, then moved into affordable autos like Seikos, Tissot and Hamiltons. Now beginning to let those go and move into a smaller number of better pieces. My Benarus is my most expensive watch now; the Speedie will surpass that if I get one.

On that note, I am headed over to my local Omega AD (techniclly, its a Swatch Co. Boutique since Swatch/Omega de-authorized my local AD) at lunch to do some side-by-side comparisons. For anyone in Chicago, the Torubillion boutique on Michigan Ave. is a ton of fun. The whole high-end Swatch family under one roof. GO, Brequet, Blancpain, Omega, Jaquet Droz and more

Top Bottom