• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Thx Nitewulf, I appreciate, and agree on offset dials.

In case you guys are not following Baselworld, 2 news-worthy models in my humble opinion:

Vulcain is re-issuing a classic 70s Diver, it looks so modern and original for a re-issue, this is mind boggling!

I must admit I am in love :)

1033657d1365015806-vulcain-goes-back-time-launch-tribute-70s-nautical-divers-watch-rvb-nautical-seventies-100159-081_l.jpg

More info here.

But the big one is the new Ressence Type 3. No crown, no bezel, and projected information directly on the crystal (wherehas it usually is on the dial), creating a totally unique timepiece. I am not a fan of the Regulator-type dial (hour and minute on different dials), but god is this exciting!

RessenceMars2013_02.jpg

More info here.

So what do you think watch GAF?

StMeph

In case you guys are not following Baselworld, 2 news-worthy models in my humble opinion:

Vulcain is re-issuing a classic 70s Diver, it looks so modern and original for a re-issue, this is mind boggling!

I must admit I am in love :)

But the big one is the new Ressence Type 3. No crown, no bezel, and projected information directly on the crystal (wherehas it usually is on the dial), creating a totally unique timepiece. I am not a fan of the Regulator-type dial (hour and minute on different dials), but god is this exciting!

So what do you think watch GAF?

I really like that diver.

Not so sure about the second watch. Everything is on the crystal? So how does angle or lighting affect viewing? That's one I would want to see in person.

I really like that diver.

Not so sure about the second watch. Everything is on the crystal? So how does angle or lighting affect viewing? That's one I would want to see in person.

Funny enough, that was exactly my question too! Just a bit of info to try and explain:

"The orbiting indications are bathed in a fluid that refracts light like air, so that the indications appear to be displayed directly onto the sapphire crystal".

A bit like Sinn and their Gas filled cases which allow a perfect view of the dial regardless of the angle, Ressence fills the case with liquid to avoid distorsion... (well, that's my understanding).

That said, I totally agree, one should see it 'for real' to really understand how this works.

A photo from an angle proving their point:

type3-E3.jpg

What's the best website to get U2D info on watches from Baselworld?

Also, I really want a couple of vinage Hamiltons since back in the day they were considered the American Patek. I like Hamilton watches.

I really like the Halios Laguna, and even though L2L is 49mm, the diameter is still 43mm. Case thickness is just over 14mm. God, these nice looking watches, yet they're too big. I really don't like big watches, I truly believe they serve no practical function for whatever future job I hope to god find, be it in the field or a desk job due to the size.

I did just find out Helson Shark Diver comes in at 40mm, which would be great. Looks like a well built quality watch.

Blue.jpg.opt409x548o0,0s409x548.jpg

Also I'd like the 38mm Hammy auto chrono. Longines Hydroconquest still seems like the best deal with it at 39mm, but spending that much is out of the equation. My budget is only $500-600 from here on out. Maybe I can find a nice used one.

maeh2k

Stumbled upon some Braun (Quartz) watches on amazon and I have to say I like them quite a bit. As much as I love the design of the Stowa Antea or the Nomos Tangomat, they are quite a bit out of my price range (still in college; also, I don't like walking around with fragile, expensive object). The design of the Brauns goes in the same direction and it's rather affordable.

There are also some versions with date and chrono functions, but visually I don't like them as much. I think I like that they don't have lugs, but I don't know if that makes it impossible to exchange the wrist band.

I think I might actually buy that watch soon. I really love the design of my current watch (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47477036&postcount=1805), but I'd like something other than a metal wristband. It bugs me that on my watch I can't easily change the length of the wristband (you'd have to take out/insert chain links). In its current state it often feels a bit too tight.
I know it's not really worthy of Watch-GAF, but I'm not prepared to spend more that 200 Euros at the moment.

It may be a bit overpriced for a Quarz watch of that quality, but it's 146 Euros on amazon and because I recently joined amazon prime I have a 20 Euro coupon for clothing, jewels, and watches, which brings it down to 126 Euros. That seems somewhat reasonable.

I really like the design of the dial, though I'm not quite as fond of the wristband (with its wide holes) and how it's integrated into the case

Wrist shot I found online:

I think I might actually buy that watch soon. I really love the design of my current watch (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47477036&postcount=1805), but I'd like something other than a metal wristband. It bugs me that on my watch I can't easily change the length of the wristband (you'd have to take out/insert chain links). In its current state it often feels a bit too tight.
I know it's not really worthy of Watch-GAF, but I'm not prepared to spend more that 200 Euros at the moment.

It may be a bit overpriced for a Quarz watch of that quality, but it's 146 Euros on amazon and because I recently joined amazon prime I have a 20 Euro coupon for clothing, jewels, and watches, which brings it down to 126 Euros. That seems somewhat reasonable.

I really like the design of the dial, though I'm not quite as fond of the wristband (with its wide holes) and how it's integrated into the case

Wrist shot I found online:

Well, yes, it is a bit over priced for a quartz, yes Watch Gaf is always going to push you toward an mechanical piece, yes an industrial chinese quartz will never get the approval of any watch lover out there, and yes lugless cases are not ideal for many reasons.

But it's clear you don't care about those considerations, you just want a cheap watch with a simple design you like, which you found, so go for it and enjoy my friend! :)

maeh2k

Well, yes, it is a bit over priced for a quartz, yes Watch Gaf is always going to push you toward an mechanical piece, yes an industrial chinese quartz will never get the approval of any watch lover out there, and yes lugless cases are not ideal for many reasons.

But it's clear you don't care about those considerations, you just want a cheap watch with a simple design you like, which you found, so go for it and enjoy my friend! :)

It's not that I don't care at all about those considerations; it's just that I value design more.

I was even close to possibly buying a used Aristo U-Boot, that's being sold on a German watch forum, but alas the forum currently doesn't take any new members (registration closed)...
At 220 Euros I'd probably take an Aristo over the Braun.

Edit: I don't suppose anyone here is registered at UhrForum.de? (and thus could ask the guy for his mail address)

A couple weeks ago my Citizen eco-drive fell off my night table when I was sleeping

The next day I noticed it was no longer working, took it to a few watch repair places that all said because it was eco-drive they'd have to send it to Citizen

I was going away for the weekend so I decided to take the watch home and see what my options were online, turns out Citizen isn't too far from where I live so I decided I'd just take it in when I got back from my trip and had a free day

I check the watch when I get back from my trip, still doesn't work

Check a few days later, still doesn't work

Fast forward another week, finally have time to take the watch in, pick it up off the table and it's working 100% properly again

Any idea what may have happened? I don't see how the battery would completely drain and then re-charge itself after over a week of sitting on a table

A couple weeks ago my Citizen eco-drive fell off my night table when I was sleeping

The next day I noticed it was no longer working, took it to a few watch repair places that all said because it was eco-drive they'd have to send it to Citizen

I was going away for the weekend so I decided to take the watch home and see what my options were online, turns out Citizen isn't too far from where I live so I decided I'd just take it in when I got back from my trip and had a free day

I check the watch when I get back from my trip, still doesn't work

Check a few days later, still doesn't work

Fast forward another week, finally have time to take the watch in, pick it up off the table and it's working 100% properly again

Any idea what may have happened? I don't see how the battery would completely drain and then re-charge itself after over a week of sitting on a table

Strange. What's the exact model?

How would it lose its charge, I wear it every day lol, not sure if the model but it's a diving watch I think

It's still working fine

Good lord! A. Lange & Sohne are ridiculously expensive watches!

Depends on the way you look at it. In my opinion, they are rightfully priced in the grand scheme of things. They could very well be the best watch movements out there, even arguably superior to some Patek, and surely a few notches above AP, Breguet, Blancpain and VC and cost a lot less than some of those...

(...and I am still waiting for a wrist shot from iamcool before I believe it :))

AHHHH! I already have a few tiny scratches on the case, around the 10/11 area. right near the cyrstal actually. Is there a way to remove the scratches on the case? It's so damn small, but it's an imperfection that's making me go crazy.

Could I take it Sears and let the old crazy watch man try and remove it?

StMeph

AHHHH! I already have a few tiny scratches on the case, around the 10/11 area. right near the cyrstal actually. Is there a way to remove the scratches on the case? It's so damn small, but it's an imperfection that's making me go crazy.

Could I take it Sears and let the old crazy watch man try and remove it?

You can get most light case damage fixed, but I suggest you learn to live with it.

Why? Because you're going to perpetuate the same endless paranoia every single time you make the smallest scratch in the future if you do. Do you plan to change your own straps? I doubt that will be perfect the first time, and you might make a couple of new scratches there.

You don't want to have to be constantly, perfectly cognizant of your watch. It's supposed to be enjoyable. So don't let it be a major source of stress.

I'm sure you cared to try to keep your car immaculate, but after a certain point, let it go. Major damage? You can get it fixed without tapping into your neurosis. But don't let the small stuff get to you. Resale value tanked as soon as you put it on your wrist, just like a car. So just enjoy it.

You can get most light case damage fixed, but I suggest you learn to live with it.

Why? Because you're going to perpetuate the same endless paranoia every single time you make the smallest scratch in the future if you do. Do you plan to change your own straps? I doubt that will be perfect the first time, and you might make a couple of new scratches there.

You don't want to have to be constantly, perfectly cognizant of your watch. It's supposed to be enjoyable. So don't let it be a major source of stress.

I'm sure you cared to try to keep your car immaculate, but after a certain point, let it go. Major damage? You can get it fixed without tapping into your neurosis. But don't let the small stuff get to you. Resale value tanked as soon as you put it on your wrist, just like a car. So just enjoy it.

Words of wisdom.

Constant stress over it will be annoying on the long run, and also does not make sense financially. You have the Hamilton for a couple of weeks, maybe a month if I am not mistaken, if you take it to a watchmaker for polishing scratches every month it will cost you the price of the watch each year... Bad idea.

If you want to service it every 2 years, make sure to ask the watchmaker to also polish the scraches on the case, it is even likely to be less expensive.

Aske

Get a case for it. Most savvy watch-owners who plan to keep their timepieces in perfect condition invest in aluminium watch-armor, silicone watch-wraps, or plastic hard-shell cases. It's also very important to install a high quality plastic sapphire protector. The Japanese ones are best: they're generally less milky. Just shop around, decide if you want to prioritize light weight over drop protection, and case up. Make sure to double-check that you can operate the crown while your watch is in its case, if that feature is important to you. Otherwise you can always buy an aftermarket fingertip adapter.

The dings are superficial. Just don't want to Wabi Sabi myself, lol

Reading WUS threads relieves my mind a bit. Some expensive ass watches that have been dinged up.

Aske

I always wince a little when I read those. A little bit of wear and tear is inevitable, but the stories of guys getting a decent-sized scratch on a day-old Omega invariably sting.

VoxPop

Making my first leap into getting a watch. Never owned one in my life! Any recommendations for a nice clean watch for casual wear? One I can wear with casual clothes or latch on with a suit. I always loved the simple look of stuff like the Movado museums but felt the face was too small for guys. Any advice?

maeh2k

Making my first leap into getting a watch. Never owned one in my life! Any recommendations for a nice clean watch for casual wear? One I can wear with casual clothes or latch on with a suit. I always loved the simple look of stuff like the Movado museums but felt the face was too small for guys. Any advice?

I'm by no means an expert on anything watch-related and have only recently started looking at lots of watches. How much do you intend to spend on the watch?

From a design perspective, maybe check out Mondaine watches: http://www.mondaine.ch/mondaine-watches/display_family/4

Recently stumbled upon the brand a.b.art. They have some watches similar to the Movado you mentioned: http://www.abartwatches.com/index___id=serien&l=en.html

Can't speak to the quality of these, but seeing as both of those are Swiss made, they probably should be decent. Haven't looked into how much the a.b.art ones cost, but Mondaine has some affordable watches.

so got a colleague that went to Bengalore and brought me back two of these bad boys:
addon.php

(pic from Web)
i already broke one :(
but for 10EUR, i guess i cannot be that picky, i'll try to see if he can use the warranty before i go back to europe.

so got a colleague that went to Bengalore and brought me back two of these bad boys:
(pic from Web)
i already broke one :(
but for 10EUR, i guess i cannot be that picky, i'll try to see if he can use the warranty before i go back to europe.

Wow, I knew HMTs were cheap, but 10 bucks for a mechanical timepiece is madness!! This could very well be the cheapest mechanical watch in the galaxy. And the Pilot dial is actually quite cool. HMT has some history, and is doing in house movement under Citizen license since the 60s, which makes it even cooler...

Congrats on your find!

Hey RichGaf, any watches similar to Orient Esteem?

Love the open skeleton watch, wondering if there are any designs similar to its elegance.

Hey RichGaf, any watches similar to Orient Esteem?

Love the open skeleton watch, wondering if there are any designs similar to its elegance.

Yes there are a lot of watch with a 'hole' in the dial to show the movement (usually the balance wheel), they are often called 'open heart watch'.

Usually people ask for cheap alternative in this thread, here you pointed to the cheap alternative already, Orient is unbeatable at this game, but here are a few iconic open heart watches (...more expensive though):

Seiko:

img61017343.jpg

Hamilton:

img58121805.jpg

...And the 'king' of open heart in my mind, Zenith:

Zenith-2.jpg

zenith-el-primero-chronomaster-1969-2.jpg

If you like this kind of design, the next step is a tourbillon complication.
I will not explain the benefit and reasons here, but the big 'visible' difference is that instead of wheel turning back and forth very quickly, you will see a full mechanism turning around, much more exciting for the viewer. Here is a'cheap' (still $1.5k...) Chinese tourbillon (the cheapest swiss tourbillon is a Jaeger Lecoultre at $40k :):) ) :

Montiek:

mpts02klein.jpg

Don't hesitate to give us more background (budget, use, ...) and we may narrow it down to a few models, as open heart watches are legion - try to google it :)

^ Thanks man

Think I'll go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HZU7LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Never used amazon before, but Amazon gets it from a seller themselves, and it's brand new, right?

Can I just order it now? I'd like to get it asap, been sitting on this watch for months

Ideally I'd like an open heart, simple design with the date, but apparently they don't do date + open heart.

Edit: Wow, that Zenith watch is really nice, but I'm still stuck to this Orient.

Generally:

~$200 (I'm not rich, but would love a fancy watch)
Open heart (or something I can see the mechanical movements with)
Automatic (or Auto+windup)
Simple design
Date tracking
Leather strap
Preferably black background, though I'm open to other options

I'm pretty much set on that Orient I linked, just hoping someone can confirm that the link is good, so that I can buy it.

^ Thanks man

Think I'll go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HZU7LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Never used amazon before, but Amazon gets it from a seller themselves, and it's brand new, right?

Can I just order it now? I'd like to get it asap, been sitting on this watch for months

Ideally I'd like an open heart, simple design with the date, but apparently they don't do date + open heart.

Edit: Wow, that Zenith watch is really nice, but I'm still stuck to this Orient.

Generally:

~$200 (I'm not rich, but would love a fancy watch)
Open heart (or something I can see the mechanical movements with)
Automatic (or Auto+windup)
Simple design
Date tracking
Leather strap

I'm pretty much set on that Orient I linked, just hoping someone can confirm that the link is good, so that I can buy it.

Hey, so:

- Don't justify your budget, we at WatchGaf (and not RichGaf as previously stated :p) are proud to find solutions for any budget :)
- With the features you ask for, and the price range, I would have pointed to Orient right away, this is a no-brainer, great choice.
- The Amazon offer you found is unbeatable, as Orient USA themselve sell the watch for 30% more, GO FOR IT MY FRIEND!
- If you are serious when you say 'the Orient over the Zenith' we need to have a talk!!! (the Zenith is in another league in every aspect, but it's also 50 times more expensive :p)

Hey, so:

- Don't justify your budget, we at WatchGaf (and not RichGaf as previously stated :p) are proud to find solutions for any budget :)
- With the features you ask for, and the price range, I would have pointed to Orient right away, this is a no-brainer, great choice.
- The Amazon offer you found is unbeatable, as Orient USA themselve sell the watch for 30% more, GO FOR IT MY FRIEND!
- If you are serious when you say 'the Orient over the Zenith' we need to have a talk!!! (the Zenith is in another league in every aspect, but it's also 50 times more expensive :p)

Haha, I'm only teasing with the richGAF comment :p

Any Zenith examples? I've seen some, but they appear too complex to my liking. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Orient Esteem, just need to confirm purchase!

Price is killer though, I'd like a Zenith example at around $200-$250 (same price as the Esteem), otherwise I'm going for this.

Mind you, I'm paying a total of around $250, but even the official Orient website has run out of the black Esteem model I want

Haha, I'm only teasing with the richGAF comment :p

Any Zenith examples? I've seen some, but they appear too complex to my liking. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Orient Esteem, just need to confirm purchase!

Price is killer though, I'd like a Zenith example at around $200-$250 (same price as the Esteem), otherwise I'm going for this.

Mind you, I'm paying a total of around $250, but even the official Orient website has run out of the black Esteem model I want

Just forget Zenith, it starts at $5k.

Orient is your one and only choice, I just checked, and by applying the current promotional code, you will get it for the amazon price on Orient Wach USA, with additional promotional items... And it was available when I tried. Enjoy the watch and post a pic when you receive it!

Just forget Zenith, it starts at $5k.

Orient is your one and only choice, I just checked, and by applying the current promotional code, you will get it for the amazon price, with additional promotional items... And it was available when I tried. Enjoy the watch and post a pic when you receive it!

Link please??

I'm about to purchase from Amazon directly for $250, but I dont have any promo codes

This one is out of stock, and nearly $300 http://orientwatchusa.com/fdb08004b

I believe you are talking about the black one with the golden etching?

The promo code is spring2013 and yes it is marked 'out of stock' but they let me order it so I am not sure. Still, same deal on amazon, so go for it.

Thanks man, will confirm the Amazon one I have, thank u so much Ill post pics when I get it!! :D

Edit:

Bought the Esteem for a total of $269

Very expensive, but I feel it shall be oh so worth it. My first real purchased watch too, at least one of brand quality.

I hope I don't scratch it the first day out haha

Thanks man, will confirm the Amazon one I have, thank u so much Ill post pics when I get it!! :D

Edit:

Bought the Esteem for a total of $269

Very expensive, but I feel it shall be oh so worth it. My first real purchased watch too, at least one of brand quality.

I hope I don't scratch it the first day out haha

Another mechanical owner, another watch-less wrist covered. WatchGaf continues its quest against distastefull people all over the world checking time on their iPhones :)

Another mechanical owner, another watch-less wrist covered. WatchGaf continues its quest against distastefull people all over the world checking time on their iPhones :)

Ah yes! It's pretty ironic that wristwatches were looked down upon by men, but then worn for convenience during war (according to 'How it's Made'), and now we've come full circle with having to pull out phones from our pockets haha.

Also, I hate to be paranoid, but I ordered this watch: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HZU7LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

41ZwPsozzqL._SS500_.jpg

It seems to lack the shine I see here:

FDB08004B-4.jpg

It's the same watch, right?? I see no other model, it appears to be the same colour, I'm sure it's just a bad shot, but I need some confirmation. Help?

And why doesn't the one on Amazon not have any reviews? I would think some reviews would be put in for such a popular model

Ah yes! It's pretty ironic that wristwatches were looked down upon by men, but then worn for convenience during war (according to 'How it's Made'), and now we've come full circle with having to pull out phones from our pockets haha.

Also, I hate to be paranoid, but I ordered this watch: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HZU7LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It seems to lack the shine I see here:

It's the same watch, right?? I see no other model, it appears to be the same colour, I'm sure it's just a bad shot, but I need some confirmation. Help?

I can confirm it's the exact same model. One is just a bit more exposed to light, so the metallic part flashes a bit more and you don't see the shapes. Rest assured, you bought a very fine watch for the budget. And stop second guessing yourself!! :)

I can confirm it's the exact same model. One is just a bit more exposed to light, so the metallic part flashes a bit more and you don't see the shapes. Rest assured, you bought a very fine watch for the budget. And stop second guessing yourself!! :)

Haha OK, sorry, just a nervous buyer, so many watches to choose from, but I absolutely had my mind set on either this or the JLC tourbillon, until I learned that was half a million dollars :p

did you order already? longislandwatch usually has orients for cheapest...

http://www.longislandwatch.com/Orie...DB08005W.htm?gclid=CL-YmtODzrYCFUPc4AodERcA4w

they are BBB acredited.

Shoot, I already ordered, those prices are insane! But black w/steel is out of stock

The white one looks real nice http://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_FDB08005W_Watch_p/fdb08005w.htm

.. wonder if I can change. I like black, but this looks like a great complimentary watch. I'm second guessing if this would look better on my hand haha

Shoot, I already ordered, those prices are insane! But black w/steel is out of stock

The white one looks real nice http://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_FDB08005W_Watch_p/fdb08005w.htm

.. wonder if I can change. I like black, but this looks like a great complimentary watch. I'm second guessing if this would look better on my hand haha

Check with amazon, sometimes you can cancel the order if it's not yet sent out. Sorry for missing it, your price was still good, but this is even better :)

Check with amazon, sometimes you can cancel the order if it's not yet sent out. Sorry for missing it, your price was still good, but this is even better :)

Thing is, I really like the black one I ordered... but I'm wondering if black just wont look good against my skin. I'm also thinking white is more timeless/all-around better for casual wear and formal

Black is so sexy, but I wonder if it would go well with more colourful attire

Which do you like better?

Edit: think Ill keep black, but I'm spending pretty much double for it.

Mind you, I cant seem to select the black strap for the white one.

I think I'll definitely purchase something like the white one in the future though. So gorgeous.

Maiar, you SURE you don't want THIS:

DSC_4754.jpg

I do want a new automatic watch, though it'll be between $400-$500. Right now, it's either the Tissot Le Locle or the Hamilton Viewmatic:

REO5.jpg

Wow! Such gorgeous watches!!

Guessing the Tissot is way out of my range, but that amazingly simple looking Stowa creme watch looks gorgeous! what's the price on that? Any place I can find it?

What is the exact name of that Stowa watch?

Stowa only sells from their own website, the watch you like is called the Antea, is more expensive than the Tissot, and requires a few months of patience before receiving it.

So the Seiko watch I bought on the recommendation of a fellow GAFer is amazing. I get a lot of compliments on it, but the sole issue lies with my small wrist size. Even when set on the innermost notch, it tends to slide around a lot. Are there any good replacement bands I can buy for that particular brand/piece?

So the Seiko watch I bought on the recommendation of a fellow GAFer is amazing. I get a lot of compliments on it, but the sole issue lies with my small wrist size. Even when set on the innermost notch, it tends to slide around a lot. Are there any good replacement bands I can buy for that particular brand/piece?

That is a nice looking watch... might be worth seeing if you can get a rubber strap or see if there is a way to make that on smaller. I went from a bracelet that was just too lose to a rubber strap and its much more comfortable. For me that is.

I got my strap from crownandbuckle.com and it fits fine on the last notch. I usually have it on the 2nd to the last notch so I can slide it up my wrist when I'm typing. I'd go with some sort of canvas or leather strap since I'm not sure if a SS bracelet would go w/ the brushed look of the rest of the watch.

Top Bottom