• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

crumbs

the 556 is a great entry watch, owned one of the first series myself. Couldn't warm up with the watch, though. great value for money, nonetheless.

Edit:
LOL, just looked for my old thread on WUS for the watch, and it's bedome the biggest thread on the Sinn forum. Anyway, here are a few pics of the watch:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f24/sinn-556-thread-99048.html

I had a Sinn 556 back in 2008/2009, but ended up selling it because the 38.5mm dial was was too small for my wrist. I liked the clean dial and simple case which works better in person (the black dial can look a plain in pics). It was a well-made watch and I had no problem selling it at a decent price (Sinn has a good rep, I guess), which makes it a low risk buy.

Fixed1979

It's absolutely impossible to overstate my excitment and satisfaction. 1 year of saving, 3 months of waiting. And now this!

BG3PnLWCcAAYoaK.jpg:large

Just browsing through the last few pages...and I know I'm a month late but I gotta say this thing is fucking beautiful. Congrats dude.

Just browsing through the last few pages...and I know I'm a month late but I gotta say this thing is fucking beautiful. Congrats dude.

It's actually cool that you are a month old, nobody congratulate me anymore on GAF nor on WUS, some newer watches replaced mine :(

Thx very much for the kind words, I am still impressed by the design each time I glance at it :)

Aske

These watches are my reward and that's the reason I haven't owned one since my dad gave me one in college. I'm saving and investing more than I ever have in my life with only one outstanding debt (car) and these will represent the financial change that I made in my life over the past several years. It's a pretty funny way to represent financial responsibly (purchasing a luxury item), but we need to treat ourselves on occasion.

A poster on one of the watch forums has a line in his signature that I inevitably recall when discussing the wisdom of spending money on timepieces: "Time is too precious and too short to measure on a cheap watch." Financial responsibilities can be hard to balance, but this is a nice reminder that it's important to enjoy today for those of us who skew towards planning for tomorrow.

StMeph

It's actually cool that you are a month old, nobody congratulate me anymore on GAF nor on WUS, some newer watches replaced mine :(

Thx very much for the kind words, the watch is still blowing me each time I glance at it :)

I would also like to congratulate you on a very fine watch.

But consider revising your description, unless that is a special grand complication.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thanks for the thoughts on the Sinn 556, everyone, much appreciated. I have some thinking to do!

commish

Then on April 15th Stowa put up the Flieger TO1 TESTAF and I ordered it, firguring I would cancel one of the two watches.

After flipping back and forth for 2 weeks I've decided to just take both of them. My plan was to get a Flieger and and an Antea, but two different Fliegers will do the trick I suppose, I'll look at getting something a little dressier next year.

Now to wait until the end of July to get these built and shipped out.

Oh I really like this. They aren't shipping until end of July? Seems so far away! I worry it's too big for my wrist, tho. My current watch is 42mm I believe but I'm not sure about going bigger...

Fixed1979

Oh I really like this. They aren't shipping until end of July? Seems so far away! I worry it's too big for my wrist, tho. My current watch is 42mm I believe but I'm not sure about going bigger...

Yeah, it's a painful wait but I timed it with my monthly savings so when I need to pay for them I won't be taking money from somewhere else. I think they have one of the reasons for the delay (besides the fact that he has to make them) is that a watch needs to be submitted for TESTAF certification which takes a month or so.

One of the reasons I jumped in right away is in the hopes of getting a low or neat serial number as this is the first run, completely silly but it sort of adds to the story of the watch.

Here's a couple "out in the wild" pictures that Jorg (designer) posted on the Stowa forums.

commish

Yeah, it's a painful wait but I timed it with my monthly savings so when I need to pay for them I won't be taking money from somewhere else. I think they have one of the reasons for the delay (besides the fact that he has to make them) is that a watch needs to be submitted for TESTAF certification which takes a month or so.

One of the reasons I jumped in right away is in the hopes of getting a low or neat serial number as this is the first run, completely silly but it sort of adds to the story of the watch.

Here's a couple "out in the wild" pictures that Jorg (designer) posted on the Stowa forums.

Hmm so they won't be charging now? I might bite on two watches then if I won't have to pay for this one until July. Can't justify the price for 2 right now, but I really like this one but want a watch a bit sooner than 3 months.

Stowa designs are always modern and classy, but, and that's very personal I guess, it looks awfully big on wrist. And something tells me this wrist is not tiny.

Fixed1979

Hmm so they won't be charging now? I might bite on two watches then if I won't have to pay for this one until July. Can't justify the price for 2 right now, but I really like this one but want a watch a bit sooner than 3 months.

I haven't purchased from Stowa before, but my understanding is that they send you a notice of payment a week or two before the watch is ready to ship. I'm not sure how they get away with not charging something up front, but I'm guessing there must not be that many cancellations, or else they just don't care.

Stowa designs are always modern and classy, but, and that's very personal I guess, it looks awfully big on wrist. And something tells me this wrist is not tiny.

It's definately a big watch...here's what he said about it's size.

Jörg Schauer said:
Another important point for this watch is the material: Titan is not heavy, this means the watch is not "fighting with your wrist", it is comfortable wearing

At the moment i am wearing this prototype and the watch feels really good on the wrist.

My wirstsize is 17.5 -18 cm ! (complete length from watch and strap)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Thinking of getting this watch but replacing the band with a brown leather one. Any objections to brown band + black watch face? Just need something simple with a brown band to match some clothes and I really like the Citizen Eco-drive that I currently have so this one seemed good for the price (don't have a lot to spend). Once you never have to worry about replacing batteries you really can't go back...

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8240-03E-Eco-Drive-Black-Leather/dp/B000EQS1D8/ref=pd_sbs_watch_1

It's definately a big watch...here's what he said about it's size.

Can you quote from other forums? I discover new stuff everyday.

My (personnal) issue with big watches has nothing to do with their weight, I am a SS guy and I quite like when a watch 'feels a bit heavy', it's really on a pure visual/aesthetic point of view. Call me old and boring, but this trend of the past 10 years of 45mm+ is really not appealing to me at all - Panerai, Hublot I am looking at you :)

But again, the Sinn has very classy and clean dial, just a personal opinion on size.

I can't decide which one to get. The dark PVD bracelet might be too much for daily use and the orange bezel one would have been amazing if it had a white or silver face. Help me choose guys!

As much as Watch GAF is the right place to ask about a watch, choosing a bracelet/strap is pure personnal choice, as long as you don't put a rubber strap with a suit, or a flashy NATO on a bicolor Rolex, you are ok :)

Just snagged this for a steal of a price. Need to replace the bracelet.
Now onto looking for a rose date just

Nice car :p

-Setsuna-

Your Glashütte is stunning, GalacticSushiman.

Here's my "Seikollection", started 18 months ago :

From left to right :

Mechanical - SARB021
Mechanical - SARB029
Mechanical - SARB065
Grand Seiko - SBGM003
King Seiko - 44-9990 (1965)
Lord Marvel 36000 - 5740-8000 (1972)
Cronos - J15009 (1962) - Front row

And my tiny pocket watch (1968) :

Your Glashütte is stunning, GalacticSushiman.

Here's my "Seikollection", started 18 months ago :

From left to right :

Mechanical - SARB021
Mechanical - SARB029
Mechanical - SARB065
Grand Seiko - SBGM003
King Seiko - 44-9990 (1965)
Lord Marvel 36000 - 5740-8000 (1972)
Cronos - J15009 (1962) - Front row

And my tiny pocket watch (1968) :

Thanks for the nice words.

What a lovely collection!
I really like the mix of new and vintage, wrist and pocket, and I have to admit I have a soft spot for those 60s King Seiko.
The SBGM003 is a fantastic piece, but getting one can always be a bit tricky, did you order from Seiya or bought it in Japan? Any story to share?

Congrats on the collection in such a short period of time! And now is the time to go venture outside of Seiko :)

The 'big Stowa' discussion was just around the new TESTAF at 46mm, the rest of the models are reasonably sized indeed.

This new Maurice de Mauriac is quite cool:

tumblr_mm2uglAsAl1qan0e2o1_500.jpg

-Setsuna-

What a lovely collection!
I really like the mix of new and vintage, wrist and pocket, and I have to admit I have a soft spot for those 60s King Seiko.
Thanks. :)
The King Seiko are fantastic and offer some of the best calibers in Seiko's history. The 44A, 4500 and 5246 are magnificient and still extremely accurate.

The SBGM003 is a fantastic piece, but getting one can always be a bit tricky, did you order from Seiya or bought it in Japan? Any story to share?
Bought in Japan, "Inoue Watch Shop" (Tokyo).
I've seen a few on Rakuten, but importing a GS seems a bit risky. Their SBGR001 are quite tempting, though.

The SBGM003 is Seiko's masterpiece, IMHO. My pics don't do it justice, but here's a pretty nice review : http://chronomania.net/forum/board_...ccc2cfce814e6d74bec7ea2dab43c178#.UX_3-MrL_Kc

And now is the time to go venture outside of Seiko :)
In fact, the journey started a few years ago, with JLC (Memovox) and Rolex (Sub 16610). I'm now in a "Seiko phase", and particularly appreciate the subtlety (nobody knows what a GS is, or how much it might cost) and diversity of these watches. No regrets, so far.
And the next one will be a Spring Drive (SBGA011). ;)

Okay, please advise me if I got a nice watch for a good price.

I got a Gucci YA126220 for $460. I know it is a model that has been around for awhile, and is getting phased out, but I was looking for a nice, casual watch for my fiance. We aren't made of money by any means, but I wanted to do something nice. The most expensive watch he ever had was 70 bucks (but he loves watches and Gucci as a brand). He loves modern, yet simple watches.

t8oD9U3.jpg

Aske

I got a Gucci YA126220 for $460. I know it is a couple years old, and is getting phased out, but I was looking for a nice, casual watch for my fiance. We aren't made of money by any means, but I wanted to do something nice. The nicest watch he ever had was 70 bucks.

Watch enthusiasts will tell you committed the cardinal sin of buying a watch from a fashion designer: generally speaking you'll over-pay for lower quality when you do this. Mineral crystals, cheap movements, poor quality control. But good news - Google tells me the YA126220 sports a sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating, stainless-steel case, signed crown, and a Swiss quartz movement. While you will have paid a toll for the brand name, Gucci didn't cheap out on the materials in the way a company like Armani does, and in opting for an older model you slashed away much of the 'fasion watch' tax. I see the watch selling for $400 plus shipping on eBay, so you got a decent deal if you bought it somewhere reputable; and $460 is fairly typical for a Swiss made watch with these specs.

If you were looking for alternatives, watch-GAF would point you towards less well-known brands who specialize in watch-making, we'd try to sway you towards buying something mechanical even though it's less accurate and more capricious than quartz, and we'd present some lower-priced options with similar specs that might save you money; but if you like the design and you like the label, you did well.

maeh2k

I got a Gucci YA126220 for $460. I know it is a model that has been around for awhile, and is getting phased out, but I was looking for a nice, casual watch for my fiance. We aren't made of money by any means, but I wanted to do something nice. The most expensive watch he ever had was 70 bucks (but he loves watches and Gucci as a brand). He loves modern, yet simple watches.

t8oD9U3.jpg

Can't speak about the quality of the watch or its price, but keep in mind that it's quite large. It has a diameter of 46.3 millimeters. Might require large wrists or at least a preference for big watches. Also, in that price range a lot of people here wouldn't consider a Quarz watch but only automatics.

YOU COMMITTED THE CARDINAL SIN OF BUYING A (OVER-SIZED) WATCH FROM A FASHION DESIGNER!

blablablabla, see Aske great post for more details :)

nobody knows what a GS is, or how much it might cost

That's the thing right? It's one of the reason I chose a Glashutte.
The simple nod/glance of someone 'who knows' will always have 1000 times more value to me than the dozens of philistines holding ones hand to know what NATO strap he put on his ridiculously over priced Hublot :)

YOU COMMITTED THE CARDINAL SIN OF BUYING A (OVER-SIZED) WATCH FROM A FASHION DESIGNER!

blablablabla, see Aske great post for more details :)

Haha, thanks to both Aske and maeh2k for the help :)

Luckily, there is a no-hassle 30 day money back guarantee (other than the cost of shipping) if it is too big.

pwack

Haha, thanks to both Aske and maeh2k for the help :)

Luckily, there is a no-hassle 30 day money back guarantee (other than the cost of shipping) if it is too big.

The Gucci also has a pet peeve of mine -- a fake timing/diver's bezel. (I find diver's bezels to be an incredibly simple and elegant way to measure elapsed time.)

A traditional diver's bezel is meant to rotate (generally one direction, counterclockwise). Looking at the picture, if this had an operating bezel, you'd be able to rotate the bezel until the "60" was aligned over the minute hand at the 2 o'clock position. Then, whenever you looked at the watch later, you could tell how much time had elapsed. For example, if the minute hand was pointing to the 7 o'clock position, it would line up with the twenty-five minute marker on the bezel, indicating 25 minutes (or an hour and twenty-five minutes, etc.) had elapsed.

The bezel on the Gucci, per the specs on Amazon and Jomashop, doesn't rotate and is merely decorative.

Thank you very much for the tips. After looking into Seiko 5s I finally found a model range that I would absolutely wear everyday but the only problem I have now is that every single color option looks great and I can't decide which one to get. The dark PVD bracelet might be too much for daily use and the orange bezel one would have been amazing if it had a white or silver face. Help me choose guys!

Looking at Seiko 5 mechanical prices has really made me reconsider spending $400 on a quartz chronograph like you mentioned. At these prices I can buy one seiko5 and one cheaper chrono like the $200 Victorinox Maverick w/red bezel so I can still get my white-dial alternate.

Those watches look great. I'll look into those tomorrow!

Btw, I saw Galactic mention the skx. I have a skx007 but after seeing your wrist shot I was doubting whether to recommend it. It doesn't wear big but it could seem a bit too chunky on a smaller wrist. Luckily there is a smaller version to consider; the skx013. They are kind of plain watches but I like that about them.

I've toyed with getting a Seiko for a bit of time, just never got around to it. Lo and behold they drop on my radar here:

http://www.yoox.com/us/58012107SB/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=58012107SB&sizeId=1

Thoughts on the price of these things? It is technically a 'discount' site but they sometimes have retail (or more) pricing on stuff. If this isn't a good price, would one be so kind as to point me in the direction of this particular watch elsewhere?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There a color/style of watch that will work with most all color combinations? I'd like one for work but don't want to buy multiple. I'll wear grey/black/tan chinos on most days with black/blue/grey button-ups.

-Setsuna-

This is sweet, and I echo Sushiman's appreciation for the mix of new and vintage in your collection.
Thanks, Aske.

I've toyed with getting a Seiko for a bit of time, just never got around to it.
Thoughts on the price of these things? It is technically a 'discount' site but they sometimes have retail (or more) pricing on stuff. If this isn't a good price, would one be so kind as to point me in the direction of this particular watch elsewhere?
http://www.creationwatches.com/
http://www.21jewels.com/sitemap.asp

I'd recommend a Seiko SNZH55 (K1 or J1). It's a beauty, particularly with a black NATO.

There a color/style of watch that will work with most all color combinations? I'd like one for work but don't want to buy multiple. I'll wear grey/black/tan chinos on most days with black/blue/grey button-ups.

Not really a question for Watch GAF but probably more suited to Menshion :)

I find that SS bracelet with black/grey dials to be the most versatile watches out there.

For instance a nice vintage Speedmaster work as much as a dress watch for office work, as it does with a tshirt when you run on the week end.

speedy321.jpg

In high end, PP Nautilus, especially with the grey dial, and AP Royal Oak in blue are also those perfect balance between dress and sport that acheive this 'versatile' design which would work with everything you wear and more.

- I obviously know those models are EXTREMELY expensive, I am just giving references here, there are tons of watches that are inspired by those 2 :) -

patek-philippe-5726-1A-001-nautilus-baselworld-2012.jpg

Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Jumbo-2012-2.jpg

If you don't like SS bracelet, then I would advise to look for a black IWC Portuguese (or similar given the price), maybe the king of 'everyday watch' which works casually and dressed.

iw371438-iw371447.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
in the classic "sporty watch that also looks good on a business suit" category would be a Submariner or a Sea Dweller as well.

I'd recommend a Seiko SNZH55 (K1 or J1). It's a beauty, particularly with a black NATO.
thanks for the links.

generally speaking, is a black face (or whatever it's called, the backing behind the hands) considered slightly more casual than say a white or silver face? This is my assumption, but I wonder if this is how it plays out in practice.

thanks for the links.

generally speaking, is a black face (or whatever it's called, the backing behind the hands) considered slightly more casual than say a white or silver face? This is my assumption, but I wonder if this is how it plays out in practice.

Timepieces considered the most dressy are definitely on a white dial (that's how it's called :)), black and grey are usually a bit more casual/sporty, but you could definitely find lots of exceptions to this rule.

I see. So if I were to look into a watch I could wear with a suit and wear with say, chinos and button-up, a steel band/body with a black dial would be the most versatile? I like what I've seen of seiko but if there is something else in the $300-$500 (my mental cap at the moment, heh) range that would be nice too.

pwack

I see. So if I were to look into a watch I could wear with a suit and wear with say, chinos and button-up, a steel band/body with a black dial would be the most versatile? I like what I've seen of seiko but if there is something else in the $300-$500 (my mental cap at the moment, heh) range that would be nice too.

Slightly above your budget, MacUser, but the SARB021 and 023 are quite fantastic :
http://c-watch.co.jp/ww/sarb023021.html
http://www.higuchi-inc.com/Spilitmecha.html

Citizen, Tissot and Orient also offer some pretty nice models in this price range.

By my read, Higuchi has the black faced SARB33 (bottom left on your link) for 35000YEN. A quick google tells me that, thanks to the weak yen, this is only $360.

I like that watch a lot. There are pics of mine last page. (50 posts per page for ever!)

Goddamn those seiko :0

Also, I predicted the slight budget bump suggestions, which is why I didn't post my actual ceiling... I'm a regular manshion poster I know how this game works ;p

Aske

Be careful of size too. If you want maximum versitility, don't skew too large with a suit, or (depending on your taste) too small casually. Be sure to try on some watches of various sizes and styles before you order anything. Pay special attention to height (the watch needs to fit under a shirt cuff) and lug length (if the lugs stick out past your wrist, the watch is too large).

As for style, I'll echo OnkelC and suggest a dressy diver. Seiko and Orient have some good options. Also look at Christopher Ward's Trident C60. Excellent value if the size works for you and you like the design.

If I was in the market for a slightly more sensible diver, I'd be all over the new Boschett Reef Ranger. Love that case!

StMeph

I know I've yet to put up wrist shots (I never remember to take them), but my daily beater is a Techne GosHawk:

35-166-thickbox.jpg

http://www.technewatches.com/
http://technewatches.biz/product.php?id_product=35

The black dial does, to me, make it more casual, and so does the busy-ness of it, though it's not cluttered. I really like their original SparrowHawk, but it was sold out by the time I tried to buy one, and went for the GosHawk instead.

The SparrowHawk:

attachment.php

I rarely wear the Stowa Marine Original (Roman numerals), as it's a bit too dressy for most occasions. I also really want a Nomos Tangente with date next, but wonder what I would do with the Stowa then.

Sane_Man

I bit the bullet and ordered a Stowa Marine Original last night. I've wanted one for so long and after coming into some alright money I talked myself into it. Now the painful wait until the end of August...

Fixed1979

I bit the bullet and ordered a Stowa Marine Original last night. I've wanted one for so long and after coming into some alright money I talked myself into it. Now the painful wait until the end of August...

Congrats and welcome to the Stowa waiting club where the wait is half to fun!

are you waiting due to demand or is it a situation of getting a slight discount in lieu of immediate sale? Just curious about this kind of thing.

Top Bottom