• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

In the (extremely unlikely) case someone is interested, Andrew House was sporting a magnificent Lange 1 Big Date with reserve in Rose Gold for the Gamescom PlayStation conference.

- German watchmaking for a German conference, what a nice touch Andrew :)

maeh2k

In the (extremely unlikely) case someone is interested, Andrew House was sporting a magnificent Lange 1 Big Date with reserve in Rose Gold for the Gamescom PlayStation conference.

I was wondering what that was :)

Enron

Banned
Been a while since i've posted in this thread....

just got a couple of these to knock around in. They aren't "fine" timepieces by any stretch. Hell, they are Timex. But they look fairly decent and they are 15 bucks a pop on woot. Good for when you want a watch on, but might be doing something that could fuck up your nice watches. For 15-20 dollars each, you cant go wrong.

8f8b511a-6f02-412d-9b47-b83588dc7d71.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

Thanks, I thought it looked like a Lange. Very nice.

taylor910

Have you considered buying used? There are dealers who have stellar reputations for transacting in used Rolexes. You will pay less than retail and avoid tax. Google people named LawrenceB or DavidSW, or check what they currently have for sale in Datejusts here:

Bought and sold rolexes from both LawrenceB and DavidSW in face-to-face transactions.

Both are great guys, no bullshit, and sometimes can find something for you even if they don't have it listed (especially David).

You might pay a hair more than other sellers on the forums, but its worth it buying from a reputable seller.

Enron

Banned
After ordering a couple of those cheap Weekenders, now the want for a Stowa Flieger has been rekindled >.>

Kinda hesitant to buy another nice watch - with three omegas in the desk drawer, its got an uphill fight for wrist time.

After ordering a couple of those cheap Weekenders, now the want for a Stowa Flieger has been rekindled >.>

Kinda hesitant to buy another nice watch - with three omegas in the desk drawer, its got an uphill fight for wrist time.

If I may, if you already own 3 Omega watches, I don't see any Stowa model worth some of your wrist time... But a nice Nomos on the other hand... :)

StMeph

If I may, if you already own 3 Omega watches, I don't see any Stowa model worth some of your wrist time... But a nice Nomos on the other hand... :)

No fliegers!

For classic-look fliegers, there's IWC, Stowa, and Laco. IWC obviously being dramatically more expensive than the other two.

Sinn makes some great looking modern fleigers, but if you're looking at Stowa, you probably want the minimalist dial.

pwack

Been a while since i've posted in this thread....

just got a couple of these to knock around in. They aren't "fine" timepieces by any stretch. Hell, they are Timex. But they look fairly decent and they are 15 bucks a pop on woot. Good for when you want a watch on, but might be doing something that could fuck up your nice watches. For 15-20 dollars each, you cant go wrong.

I was looking for a cheap quartz beat-up-able as well. Ended up going not super cheap with this JDM seiko. It is -- gasp -- quartz.

Here it is on a summery Zulu.

No fliegers!

For classic-look fliegers, there's IWC, Stowa, and Laco. IWC obviously being dramatically more expensive than the other two.

Sinn makes some great looking modern fleigers, but if you're looking at Stowa, you probably want the minimalist dial.

oooops, my mistake, thank you :)

And agreed, if you have some Omega and want a nice flieger, IWC is the best choice out there - those bracelets... - but Sinn and Laco are definitely worth a look too.

I was looking for a cheap quartz beat-up-able as well. Ended up going not super cheap with this JDM seiko.

Here it is on a summery Zulu.

It looks great, on bracelet or zulu, it also seems easy to read and robust, excellent choice!

Enron

Banned
Just because i've got 3 Omegas doesn't mean I can AFFORD an IWC.

Two of them were inherited, and the third is an SMP300 - pricey yes, but not break-the-bank.

Could I buy an IWC? Sure. Would it be smart? Hells to the no. Stowa I can do, however!

Just because i've got 3 Omegas doesn't mean I can AFFORD an IWC.

Two of them were inherited, and the third is an SMP300 - pricey yes, but not break-the-bank.

Could I buy an IWC? Sure. Would it be smart? Hells to the no. Stowa I can do, however!

Apologies, I surely did not want to assume anything.

That said, a second hand IWC Flieger with box and paper is around $3k (probably not too far away from the SMP). Yep, it's 3 times as much as a Stowa , but worth it in my mind :)

Apologies again, and tell us what you choose at the end!

Enron

Banned

That said, a second hand IWC Flieger with box and paper is around $3k (probably not too far away from the SMP). Yep, it's 3 times as much as a Stowa , but worth it in my mind :)

Yeah. that's why i said what I did. IWCs are STUPID expensive. Used flieger for 3k? Your typical Omega seamasters weren't even 3k NEW (up until a couple years ago when they had the price hike). I'd never buy an IWC anyways - too much. Luxury timepieces aren't exactly a thing where "value" comes into play, but...when you can get 3 Omegas for the price of an IWC, im choosing Omega every time!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have a huge thing for Seiko's, my most recent is this Seiko SKA565

I love the kinetic series for a daily wear, they're comfortable, look great, and never having to worry about battery is awesome to boot. The movement isn't anything too special I don't think but I love the watch, then again I am not a huge expert on all things horology. Opinions?

Edit: replaced with a real image not stock

Current street retail price of IWC Mark XVII is around 4.5 K EUR, 1k more if you go for the metal band.

Enron,

Did you had a look at Wempe offering?
http://www.wempe-glashuette.de/bereich20-mb2-sb1.htm

It's a German brand, that is one the 5th original make of the B-Uhr (with the other being Stowa, IWC, Laco & A. Lange & Söhne).

I cannot remember the price but when i was loooking for a chrono: their 42mm Chrono in steel was around 2,2k eur (Munich circa summer 2011)

Yeah. that's why i said what I did. IWCs are STUPID expensive. Used flieger for 3k? Your typical Omega seamasters weren't even 3k NEW (up until a couple years ago when they had the price hike). I'd never buy an IWC anyways - too much. Luxury timepieces aren't exactly a thing where "value" comes into play, but...when you can get 3 Omegas for the price of an IWC, im choosing Omega every time!

Ho, I will not try to argue with this logic, but it's not mine, I hope you'll find the flieger that satisfies you in the correct price range. Good luck!

Current street retail price of IWC Mark XVII is around 4.5 K EUR, 1k more if you go for the metal band.

Enron,

Did you had a look at Wempe offering?
http://www.wempe-glashuette.de/bereich20-mb2-sb1.htm

It's a German brand, that is one the 5th original make of the B-Uhr (with the other being Stowa, IWC, Laco & A. Lange & Söhne).

I cannot remember the price but when i was loooking for a chrono: their 42mm Chrono in steel was around 2,2k eur (Munich circa summer 2011)

I was suggesting the chrono from IWC for the fact that it is as close to an in-house movement as it can get for a flieger in this price range (especially pre 2007 when ETA was providing IWC with non-assembled ébauches), the Mark XVII has a much more pedestrian movement for the price...

That said, WEMPE is a very good idea as they seem to be on an upward trend these days!

battery life of 25 hours... so if I dont charge it every night I will not be woken up by the alarm the next morning haha. Come on Apple give us something with battery life. Still my Seamaster is the best watch I got my hands on in a long time.

battery life of 25 hours... so if I dont charge it every night I will not be woken up by the alarm the next morning haha. Come on Apple give us something with battery life. Still my Seamaster is the best watch I got my hands on in a long time.

But I have to wind my watch (almost) everyday anyway. Not that much different plugging it in. (Not that I like this watch. It looks atrocious.)

Anyone have any experience or owned a black ion plated watch? I am considering getting this watch, but am concerned about scratches. Not dings, but deep scratches mostly that would expose silver.

I have been using a Citizen Nighthawk every other day for the past few months. Haven't noticed any scratches (and I have even worn it to the beach a couple of times).

On the other hand, quite a few people on the watchuseek forums say it isn't that hard for a scratch to show and that there is no way to fix it.

But I have to wind my watch (almost) everyday anyway. Not that much different plugging it in. (Not that I like this watch. It looks atrocious.)

Very true, but at least you dont need a cable and to take it off your arm. I think this technology is really good but they are more focused on getting a product out in the wild than making it functional for day to day use. For some people a one day batt life is fine but I can just think that if you run the phone pairing for some time its not going to last long.

I am looking forward to the reviews and some real world tests.

Exciting times!!!

Ok, this is with great joy that I just discovered this morning that I will have a son next January!

As my (too excited) mom already accumulated mountains of clothes and baby stuff for the future - yeah, even if she did not know the sex until today - and we have saved up for this with Miss Sushiman for a long time, we should be covered financially. So, I thought, why not look for a nice heirloom piece to buy this end of year? We have a tradition in the family to reward a big achievement in studies, and a fine wristwatch would be perfect.

I've been saving since the acquisition of my Glashutte Original PML in March on a side 'wristwatch' account, so the hunt can begin :)
I am 95% sure to shoot for a AP Royal Oak 15300st with the sapphire case back and blue dial, second hand as the model is discontinued.
I chose this particular model for: its versatility, polish-able SS case and bracelet, history, timeless design that could work for a 20-25 guy, and its proven lasting value.

If you guys have seen something, or have any (other?) suggestion, don't hesitate to tell :) Still, stay tuned for the obligatory wrist pic in the next few months.

And a few internet pics just for the sake of it :)

image697.jpg

IMGP2047.JPG

StMeph

Exciting times!!!

Ok, this is with great joy that I just discovered this morning that I will have a son next January!

As my (too excited) mom already accumulated mountains of clothes and baby stuff for the future - yeah, even if she did not know the sex until today - and we have saved up for this with Miss Sushiman for a long time, we should be covered financially. So, I thought, why not look for a nice heirloom piece to buy this end of year? We have a tradition in the family to reward a big achievement in studies, and a fine wristwatch would be perfect.

Congratulations Sushiman!

Perhaps ALS Lange 1 (a reach), or JLC Master Ultra Thin?

Exciting times!!!

I've been saving since the acquisition of my Glashutte Original PML in March on a side 'wristwatch' account, so the hunt can begin :)
I am 95% sure to shoot for a AP Royal Oak 15300st with the sapphire case back and blue dial, second hand as the model is discontinued.
I chose this particular model for: its versatility, polish-able SS case and bracelet, history, timeless design that could work for a 20-25 guy, and its proven lasting value.

If you guys have seen something, or have any (other?) suggestion, don't hesitate to tell :) Still, stay tuned for the obligatory wrist pic in the next few months.

And a few internet pics just for the sake of it :)

image697.jpg

IMGP2047.JPG
Congrats!

Congrats GS!

Thanks very much indeed! Although the hard work starts AFTER it seems for me :)

Wow very nice piece... first time I heard of the name. Very special indeed

It's really a classic among classics, like the Omega SPM, the Daytona or the Nautilus...

Congratulations Sushiman!

Perhaps ALS Lange 1 (a reach), or JLC Master Ultra Thin?

Thanks a lot!

Excellent choices indeed, the Lange 1 is out of question simply because I already have the GO PML as an off centered dial watch made in Glashutte, and I intend on wearing the watch a bit in the next 20 years before handing it over :)
Actually, the JLC Master Ultra Thin was in my shortlist for various reasons, but I am just not sure about an understated dress watch for someone still in his 20s... On the other hand it would be a great 'less is more' message... Arf. Still more convinced by the timeless and versatile RO, but you made me think :)

Congrats Sushi.. don't get too snobby if the lil one wants a Mickey Mouse watch.

Finally after those months, maybe years, praising in-house and hating some overpriced mid end ETA based watches I got the chance to be called a watch snob on the timepiece neogaf thread, VICTORY!

My dream would be a 'watch snob' tag, but one can only achieve this after years and years of dedication I imagine :p

Still, there is the Gerald Genta model from the 70s which is totally acceptable - actually the RO is from the same guy, I hope to do a pwack-esque picture with my son in a few years with both watches from the genius designer! :)

Congrats!

Thank you!

And beaten obviously... Not sure about the Rolex :p

Can't help you on alternatives GalacticSushiman because I'm more of an affordables kind of man. But congrats on the sex! And kid!

Btw, I don't think you can ever be considered a snob. Your respect for the less pricey watches is much appreciated.

pwack

Exciting times!!!

Congrats!! Wonderful news.

The AP is an awesome looking watch (although when it comes to Genta, I have a slight preference for Nautilus). Since I'm spending your hypothetical money, what about the VC Overseas, which to me feels slightly more contemporary in style (compared to Genta's 222), but still Genta-enough. (borrowed pic below)

glamour-0169-small.jpg

You could do a custom D. Dornbluth, including having Dirk engrave family names on the plate, but then you are still sporting two Germans (although pretty different in style).

Also I'm a huge fan of the Grand Seiko GMT on a creme dial. With the current price of the yen, you could get two and stick one in the closet to hand over 25 years from now as NOS while you keep yours (and pay 2x servicing costs to keep the oil fresh in the meantime). You could start him on Seiko 5's when he's 7-8, move up to normal Seikos at 13, switch to JDM Seikos at college, then hand over the real deal when the time is right. :)

sbgm021_a_large.jpeg

Also -- I really want to suggest the most expensive ETA-based watch possible. Maybe some sort of solid gold panerai. :)

Oh my god that would be a fantastic commemoration watch for such an incredible life time event! Congratulations to you GS that's amazing news!

I myself just impulse ordered a Seiko Superior SSA059, to commemorate my contract renewal at work I'm so happy.
I love the intensity behind this thing. It's just so awesome.

Thanks very much!

Yeah, that's the tricky part, finding a watch that works both for me as first time daddy, and as a gift to my son when graduates/or I don't know what :)

This is a lovely piece indeed, the fluo green is so hard to pull, and for some reason only Seiko and Linde Wederlin seems to make it work, + the fact it's a limited edition makes it even more special, wear it in good health!

Can't help you on alternatives GalacticSushiman because I'm more of an affordables kind of man. But congrats on the sex! And kid!

Btw, I don't think you can ever be considered a snob. Your respect for the less pricey watches is much appreciated.

So much love in this thread, I think I am going to cry :p

Thanks very much mate, the sex was incredible.

Congrats!! Wonderful news.

The AP is an awesome looking watch (although when it comes to Genta, I have a slight preference for Nautilus). Since I'm spending your hypothetical money, what about the VC Overseas, which to me feels slightly more contemporary in style (compared to Genta's 222), but still Genta-enough. (borrowed pic below)

Thanks very much sir, you could not be more bang on as the 2 watches, the APRO and the VC Overseas, are still competing in my mind, and the first one which I can get a fair deal on in a local shop will likely make it, I have a (slight) preference for the VC with a dark dial though, just to balance the bracelet.

You could do a custom D. Dornbluth, including having Dirk engrave family names on the plate, but then you are still sporting two Germans (although pretty different in style).

The 2 Germans thing you pointed out is clearly the first reason I would not go Dornbluth, although I have a tremendous respect for the brand, and I am not too sure about the engraving, yeah, it sounds nice and traditional and all, but maybe a bit too traditional...

Also I'm a huge fan of the Grand Seiko GMT on a creme dial. With the current price of the yen, you could get two and stick one in the closet to hand over 25 years from now as NOS while you keep yours (and pay 2x servicing costs to keep the oil fresh in the meantime). You could start him on Seiko 5's when he's 7-8, move up to normal Seikos at 13, switch to JDM Seikos at college, then hand over the real deal when the time is right. :)

The idea to start with a 5 and go the Seiko ladder is superb on paper, I am not sure what would really happen though :). I agree the GS GMT creme is a delightful piece, but the design is just bit too conventional, and, while I had the chance to try on some FPJourne, Moser and Richard Mille, I have to admit I have yet to try a GS on my wrist, which is why I did not consider it...

Also -- I really want to suggest the most expensive ETA-based watch possible. Maybe some sort of solid gold panerai. :)

LOL, you always have a vast majority of the Hublot and Bell and Ross diamond incrusted catalogs to choose from :)

-Setsuna-

Félicitations, GalacticSushiman, ainsi qu'à Madame!

So, I thought, why not look for a nice heirloom piece to buy this end of year? We have a tradition in the family to reward a big achievement in studies, and a fine wristwatch would be perfect.
A chronograph, maybe? A Navitimer 01 or a good ol' Daytona (116520).

I have to admit that I really don't understand the love for the RO (and AP, in general). Aesthetically incoherent and overpriced, IMO.
Never had the opportunity to try one, though.

Also I'm a huge fan of the Grand Seiko GMT on a creme dial.
A lovely watch. Here's mine, with some of its Seiko friends :

PS : Still waiting for my SBDX001 (order placed in early July). Maybe they should consider hiring a few more watchmakers, at this point...

Félicitations, GalacticSushiman, ainsi qu'à Madame!

A chronograph, maybe? A Navitimer 01 or a good ol' Daytona (116520).

I have to admit that I really don't understand the love for the RO (and AP, in general). Aesthetically incoherent and overpriced, IMO.
Never had the opportunity to try one, though.

A lovely watch. Here's mine, with some of its Seiko friends :

PS : Still waiting for my SBDX001 (order placed in early July). Maybe they should consider hiring a few more watchmakers, at this point...

Merci beaucoup !

I have to admit I am REALLY not into Breitling at all, but the Daytona, while a bit pedestrian, is a great classic. And I totally get your 'inconsistent design' (incohérent est un faux ami :)) feeling (angular VS smooth), I actually had the exact same one when I was first exposed to the APRO, but it just grows on you indefinitely... And now I am the biggest fan!

Well, to be perfectly honest this is already too late:

I am just back from my local second hand dealer and he had a VCO and an APRO (his first 15300st in stock for more than a year), the VC was just a bit too big, when the APRO just blew my mind on wrist.

Perfect size for my tiny wrist, perfect and super practical clasp, mind blowing bracelet (despite my hairy wrist :p), fantastic screwed down crown with a very smooth winding, crazy case back with the engraving and finishing, and just the right weight on my wrist... If you add to this the fact it's practically new (worn twice), still under warranty for 2 years , and includes everything (I even know the original AD personally), and that finally the price was better than anything on ebay/chrono24: this was just too much for me to resist... So:

photo.jpg

:)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Beautiful!! That's incredible, congrats again, it really does fit extremely well on your wrist. It has a very "I'm not here to fuck around" vibe about it, very striking, very elegant.

I'm looking for an affordable watch that satisfies three criteria: automatic, chrono, white face.

This Tissot seems to hit the bullet on the head for me.

Any other suggestions?

I ended up getting this instead of the Seagull and it looked like a clock face on my tiny wrist so I sent it back. :/ shortly thereafter, we bought a new car so still waiting on the replacement. I've actually been thinking about getting a cordovan strap for my Victorinox auto as a replacement splurge for the time being.

Blu10

Merci beaucoup !

I have to admit I am REALLY not into Breitling at all, but the Daytona, while a bit pedestrian, is a great classic. And I totally get your 'inconsistent design' (incohérent est un faux ami :)) feeling (angular VS smooth), I actually had the exact same one when I was first exposed to the APRO, but it just grows on you indefinitely... And now I am the biggest fan!

Well, to be perfectly honest this is already too late:

I am just back from my local second hand dealer and he had a VCO and an APRO (his first 15300st in stock for more than a year), the VC was just a bit too big, when the APRO just blew my mind on wrist.

Perfect size for my tiny wrist, perfect and super practical clasp, mind blowing bracelet (despite my hairy wrist :p), fantastic screwed down crown with a very smooth winding, crazy case back with the engraving and finishing, and just the right weight on my wrist... If you add to this the fact it's practically new (worn twice), still under warranty for 2 years , and includes everything (I even know the original AD personally), and that finally the price was better than anything on ebay/chrono24: this was just too much for me to resist... So:

photo.jpg

:)
congrats on both the new family member and the heirloom to pass down ��

-Setsuna-

Well, that was fast. Congrats on your (terrible) purchase, GS. ;D

Please post, when you have the time, some pics of this lady's magnificent derriere. The 3120 is a sight to behold.

Top Bottom