• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

you missed an earlier post of mine from a previous week :p

I then got a nomos club. (black dial) manual wind. no date.

So now I got a stowa antea white dial which is a bit dressy and the nomos club which looks more casual and is my daily driver. Mix and match as needed.

(nomos was lightly used off ebay - looks brand new - for half price, hence my quick jump after just buying the stowa)

Oh sorry, I saw your post but did not link both as the same poster :)

Wear your fantastic Nomos in good health!

Boken

Banned
i have an unhealthy obsession with slim automatic mechanical watches

one day i will own a jaeger lecoultre

one day.

pwack

I pulled the trigger on a GSHOCK this week end after a few months of watch drought, that Pwack comment on the similar shape with the Nautilus got to me :)

casio-g-shock-g-lide-glx-5600-7dr-moondata-white-citytime86-1210-13-citytime86@26.jpg

Collection down to a dressy, GO PML, a casual, Botta TRES, and a beater (mainly for biking and swiming), the 5600. I am not sure I'll keep the Botta tbh, but I need a diver/sporty high end as my next piece. APRO is still my favorite, but it could change :)

Nice pick up!

If you really want to improve the movement quality in particular, I would advise to have a look at Nomos, at least a few leagues above Stowa :)

I pulled the trigger on a GSHOCK this week end after a few months of watch drought, that Pwack comment on the similar shape with the Nautilus got to me :)

casio-g-shock-g-lide-glx-5600-7dr-moondata-white-citytime86-1210-13-citytime86@26.jpg

Collection down to a dressy, GO PML, a casual, Botta TRES, and a beater (mainly for biking and swiming), the 5600. I am not sure I'll keep the Botta tbh, but I need a diver/sporty high end as my next piece. APRO is still my favorite, but it could change :)

Great summer watch!

Aske

I'm relieved you finally own something sensible to wear when the zombies take over!

I'm still circling the G-shocks, myself. Leaning towards the 8900A-1. I should probably just pick it up and see what all the fuss is about...

I'm a student working against every exchange rate imaginable. I don't have $10k to spend on a watch, which is probably a good thing. I'm glad I don't have this kind of money to spend on a watch.

I'm a student working against every exchange rate imaginable. I don't have $10k to spend on a watch, which is probably a good thing. I'm glad I don't have this kind of money to spend on a watch.

Well, that's a bit insulting for the people who do spend this money on a timepiece. In the case we would have been scornful with you, I would understand that, but we actually listened to your question, and found a suited watch for your taste and budget, without judging you.

You should try to do the same and not judge people for the money they spend - well, except when it's an overpriced shitty quartz from Locman at $2k, that is not forgivable for sure :):)

Well, that's a bit insulting for the people who do spend this money on a timepiece. In the case we would have been scornful with you, I would understand that, but we actually listened to your question, and found a suited watch for your taste and budget, without judging you.

You should try to do the same and not judge people for the money they spend - well, except when it's an overpriced shitty quartz from Locman at $2k, that is not forgivable for sure :):)
I wasn't judging anyone who spends that kind of money on a watch. By all means if I could afford to I probably would. Apologies for coming across in that way, I didn't mean it as a personal attack towards anybody.

Me and my 500k watch collection were very offended.
I'm sincerely sorry if you were offended. The message I was trying to convey was that any person in their teens shouldn't have $10k to spend on a watch. If they do, its an exception. If I did have that sort of money to spend on a watch, I probably would.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
We (well me) are just fuckin around. Obviously know one knows your age though, unless you tell us.

Wow, I was just gently teasing, no worries at all mate! Keep us posted on the Rodina!
Phew, haha. Also, that Rodina looks like a loss for me. I don't really trust transferring R1,500+ isn't a (random) guy's PayPal account. He also sounded sketchy about the details regarding shipment to my country. I guess I'm going to have to continue looking elsewhere.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I look down upon all those who spend $10k on a watch!

That said, I really want a Max Bill Chronoscope. Anyone own a MB?

I look down upon all those who spend $10k on a watch!

That said, I really want a Max Bill Chronoscope. Anyone own a MB?

LOL @ the preposterous $10k price limit to be looked down upon :)

A friend of mine has a MB by Junghans for a couple of years, super happy with it, very accurate and the crystal and casing are pretty solid. That dial design is absolutely fantastic, I understand why you'd want one :)

Nice pick up!

Great summer watch!

Thx guys! It's currently 40C+ in Montreal and a GO PML with a summer tshirt just did not work, the GShock is perfect for now!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
LOL @ the preposterous $10k price limit to be looked down upon :)

A friend of mine has a MB by Junghans for a couple of years, super happy with it, very accurate and the crystal and casing are pretty solid. That dial design is absolutely fantastic, I understand why you'd want one :)

It's just so pretty.... now, how can I justify spending $2k on a watch...

pwack

Nevermind

Edit: having screwed up this post, I thought I'd not let it go to waste, and instead would at least share today's watch, which is the first mechanical I ever purchased. Ah, poor scratched hardlex crystal. I should have you replaced.

Great initiative for people suffering minor or major blindness, I salute the project and creators.

For anyone else I imagine it would be a waste of time since you have to move your wrist/touch your watch to see/feel the minutes and be able to tell precisely what time it is, a clumsy additional step, thank you but no thank you :)

Speaking of kickstarters. I've come across this project on wus. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ches-the-riccardo-atuotmatic-chron?ref=search

Chrono with seagul movement. Preorders are going for 455 and it's expected to retail for 650. It's looking nice and it seems reasonable priced for a automatic chrono. Still too expensive for me though.

The guy is currentlly setting up a new project on wus.

Great design, influenced by the Daytona, which is surely not a bad thing.

I like the attention to detail (the tail of the second hand for instance), and the overall balance of the dial is very nice.

On the other hand I am not sure about the logo/font, well, their brand identity basically, not my cup of tea.

The 'acionna' diver, from the same guy on WUS, with the myota movement is nice too, maybe a bit less personality though.

Acionna_Dial_Black_Orange__35962.1373766235.1280.1280.jpg

Aske

Great design, influenced by the Daytona, which is surely not a bad thing.

I like the attention to detail (the tail of the second hand for instance), and the overall balance of the dial is very nice.

On the other hand I am not sure about the logo/font, well, their brand identity basically, not my cup of tea.

My thoughts exactly.

I think the logo works for the watch. At first sight it looks like a playful logo but I think it show a brand that is confident to pull it off. Maybe trying to emulate that rich guy wearing a suit and sneakers look.:p

It also makes me think of the mascot of a Flemish and Dutch TV program called Man Bijt Hond (Man Bites Dog). A semi satirical program that shows people that are a bit 'different''.

DagsJT

I realise everyone here happily spends hundreds/thousands on a watch but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent watch at £50 or under? It's my birthday this weekend and a watch is something I might recommend as a possible gift.

Cheers

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I realise everyone here happily spends hundreds/thousands on a watch but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent watch at £50 or under? It's my birthday this weekend and a watch is something I might recommend as a possible gift.

Cheers

you never go wrong with a Swatch.

maeh2k

Cheers

You could just set Amazon to £50 ans see which design you personally like best.
I can't really speak to the quality of watches in that price range (or at any price range, really). No idea if you'd be better off with a Swatch compared to any other Quarz.

For a Quarz, I saw someone with a Boccia in the style of those train station watches and I thought it looked really great.
Some here will probably recommend a mechanical watch at any price. In that price range there are a couple of Seikos such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006CHML4I or a metal one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KKO85S

I think a couple of people in this thread have/had the first Seiko and generally liked it, while some thought it was too small (37mm diameter).

Edit: on the following two pages of this thread there was some Seiko talk: 34, 39. On page 39 someone posted pictures of that model: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49129482&postcount=1902

DagsJT

You could just set Amazon to £50 ans see which design you personally like best.
I can't really speak to the quality of watches in that price range (or at any price range, really). No idea if you'd be better off with a Swatch compared to any other Quarz.

For a Quarz, I saw someone with a Boccia in the style of those train station watches and I thought it looked really great.
Some here will probably recommend a mechanical watch at any price. In that price range there are a couple of Seikos such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006CHML4I or a metal one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KKO85S

I think a couple of people in this thread have/had the first Seiko and generally liked it, while some thought it was too small (37mm diameter).

The first Seiko you linked to is nice, I'll bear that one in mind.

I think the logo works for the watch. At first sight it looks like a playful logo but I think it show a brand that is confident to pull it off. Maybe trying to emulate that rich guy wearing a suit and sneakers look.:p

It also makes me think of the mascot of a Flemish and Dutch TV program called Man Bijt Hond (Man Bites Dog). A semi satirical program that shows people that are a bit 'different''.

Never been that much a fan of suit and sneakers myself - but I am OK for shirt+tie with a big beard and a mohawk everyday :p - here I am not sure though:

The logo is geometrical and pointy, but the font is retro and curvy, could be a nice contrast but here to me it just feels amateur.
The dog tail looks like a wifi signal which I cannot explain - even if it does looks like second hand's tail but the execution is much better in the hand than in the logo.
It could be just a playful logo that does not take itself very seriously, but because of the aggressive design of the dog, it just does not work that well on me... It feels like an awkward attempt to be playful :(
The name and message is quite good though, a 'rebirth'/'second chance' for a kickstarter watch is definitely fitting.

Still, everything in there is very personal I imagine.

you never go wrong with a Swatch.
Ever owned a Vostok?

This is possibly the most surreal answer I've ever red in this thread.

Did somebody say Vostok?!

Rummages through the photo folder....

Tadaa. With free instagram filter!

Vostok is nice for the starting mechanical addict. But it is known that quality control isn't always up to scratch. Nice daily beater though. Love the fact that these watches are still the same as in the cold war.

Swatch is one of the biggest and well known watch makers in the world. Shame on you for not knowing that Forsete!

Opinions on Nxon? After moving on from the last watch suggested here I found a few Nixon watches that I liked the look of. Opinions on the brand in general?

pwack

Opinions on Nxon? After moving on from the last watch suggested here I found a few Nixon watches that I liked the look of. Opinions on the brand in general?

The people who post regularly in this thread (myself included) won't have too many nice things to say about them.

If you show us what you like, we can try to find you something that looks comparable, but is not an overpriced quartz fashion watch.

If you show us what you like, we can try to find you something that looks comparable, but is not an overpriced quartz fashion watch.
I like extremely simplistic watches. I only like leather/natural straps, either black or tan/brown is best. I like VERY simple faces and dials, either a white or neutral colour face with simplistic dials. These are my two favourite brands, Nomos and Stowa (Well known to the community, apparently). They're quite obviously very expensive and this is the only reason I don't have one. Pics:

Stowa

Nomos

I like extremely simplistic watches. I only like leather/natural straps, either black or tan/brown is best. I like VERY simple faces and dials, either a white or neutral colour face with simplistic dials. These are my two favourite brands, Nomos and Stowa (Well known to the community, apparently). They're quite obviously very expensive and this is the only reason I don't have one. Pics:

Stowa

Nomos

Have you seen these? Some of the dials are a bit busy but there might be a couple of models that you might find interesting. less expensive than Stowa/Nomos.

http://www.pointtec.de/junkers/junkers_bauhaus/

Have you seen these? Some of the dials are a bit busy but there might be a couple of models that you might be find interesting. less expensive than Stowa/Nomos.
Thanks for the reference, some good looking watches there. On a side note, I'm worried about the width/height of some of these watches. For example, 40mm seems like it would be quite full on my wrist and 10mm feels like it would be quite high off of my wrist. How do I gauge what looks right and what doesn't?

Favourite one:

pwack

For a slighly different aesthetic, what about a Riki Watanabe? They are a brand related to Seiko, but offer minimalist three-hand design.

Here's a pic from Seiya's website.

629274d1329514741-riki-watanabe-opinions-riki.jpg

Note that Seiya's site is currently down, as the owner is having health issues. Higuchi has these in stock however. As a store that specializes in international shipping, Higuchi may work well for you. http://www.higuchi-inc.com/riki.html

For other options, check out the stuff here: http://wornandwound.com/2013/05/31/a-bauhaus-inspired-guide/

Why are all watches so beautiful? I mean, both watches that have been posted as suggestions are absolutely amazing. The only thing I don't like about ordering overseas is paying it into a PayPal account. There's been numerous incidents reported in our country wherein even with PayPal's support, oftentimes the money will never be returned if a deal goes sower. Its something to do with the laws here. I'd rather pay R1k more and ensure I get the product instead of losing out on R2k+ and being disappointed.

pwack

Why are all watches so beautiful? I mean, both watches that have been posted as suggestions are absolutely amazing. The only thing I don't like about ordering overseas is paying it into a PayPal account. There's been numerous incidents reported in our country wherein even with PayPal's support, oftentimes the money will never be returned if a deal goes sower. Its something to do with the laws here. I'd rather pay R1k more and ensure I get the product instead of losing out on R2k+ and being disappointed.

I understand your general reluctance. However, google Higuchi, and you can see he has a really excellent reputation as on of the big exporters of JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) Seikos. People routinely order extremely expensive watches through his site.

Also, Higuchi takes credit cards.

Top Bottom