• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

(and WTF, REALLY HUBLOT? The new Jay-Z model I hope! :D)

Reminded me of this quote from http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-dress-the-part-on-wall-street-2013-8

Forget all about Hublot. It’s a great way to tell people that you’re an idiot who has more money than taste. Hublot was a second-rate brand with third-rate craftsmanship until about 15 years ago when they arbitrarily doubled the price and started paying celebrities and sport figures to wear them. It's been a marketers wet dream.

#1: Hublot put the ‘whore’ in ‘horology'

No one should buy Hublot until they learn to align their screw heads like AP does.

Amen! And, just because I discovered this recently, the APRO actually does not have screw heads in the front of the watch, just a screw thread which cannot turn since the hole and thread are not round but hexagonal, the real screw head is actually on the back of the watch. Just a simple trick, although apparently quite costly according to AP, but I agree with you that for that price point, asking for aligned screws does seem pretty reasonable :D

Yeah, not the happiest of time for me,

work is fine, health is fine, can't really complain on anything except romantic life
yet i kind of feel empty lately.
Will have a lot of work for the next few month so no head clearing trip before at least March 2014
Obviously first world problems i know.

I think you just buy a Hublot when you need re-assure yourself or something because it looks big, it's tacky and very expensive.

I'll try to take hold of myself and fall for something more reasonable and beautiful like this

There is no such thing as 'first world problem', it's something invented by some self-righteous people who forgot that happiness and sadness are relative and not absolute, we are human after all, not transient gods.

In other words, don't ever apologize about being sad, or feeling empty because you have a job and other don't. You have all the rights in the world to feel that way.

I can't say much, and I am surely not good at cheering people up (well, that's what my girlfriend says), but I sure hope things will get better for you shortly. Just make sure to take the right decisions to create positive situations likely to fill that void (getting out with friends, using every opportunities to go out and enjoy the cool little things in life, etc).

LMAO. Love the little bits on Rolex (lots of money and nothing to say, so accurate for 90% of the Rolex wearers...), and Hublot of course. I agree with them about that (HORRIBLE!) trend for no watch/nike watches, I see many disciples of that hypocritical movements around me :)

That's some scathing editorial. I like it.

On the other hand (ahem), that Hublot Jay-Z watch posted above is ridiculous in all the right ways.

That strange star shaped hole in the middle looks a bit like (at least to me) the Patek logo, those guys have no limit :D!

Halios Tropik B is a gorgeous watch:

HALIOS_DIAL1.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

lmao this is so hilariously stupid its not even funny.

Flat front pants are ugly as fuck. Pleated for the win, sorry my junk has to have somewhere to go.

The comment on Audi? lol more like bmw or mercedes.

So glad I don't feel the need to follow hilariously stupid advice like this to think i'm dressing nice.

Anyway, I got myself a nice vintage Omega for my wedding later this month. I'll post pictures later.

Omg this article is completely my daily NYC life. Except I love a good tie dimple. And I wear a different watch every week. And sometimes it's Rolex week. Two times in a row.

Please tell us that when you do 2 Rolex weeks in a row it's Sub/Daytona both in SS, and that the Sub is a vintage 5513 from the 70s and the Daytona a panda "Paul Newman" dial from the 60s...

If it's a gold Datejust and a air-king, or worse, a two tone Sub with that "I am so old, I can't see" magnifying glass on the date, I guess your soul is long lost and I'll pray for you :D

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Please tell us that when you do 2 Rolex weeks in a row it's Sub/Daytona both in SS, and that the Sub is a vintage 5513 from the 70s and the Daytona a panda "Paul Newman" dial from the 60s...

If it's a gold Datejust and a air-king, or worse, a two tone Sub with that "I am so old, I can't see" magnifying glass on the date, I guess your soul is long lost and I'll pray for you :D

I've got my datejust and white dial milgauss on rotation usually.. I am in slight agreement with the article in that just bangin a Rolex around everyday doesn't say much. The other choices would be:

..but I'm not fond of wearing the sub or the daytona to anything that's not special. I have the green gold sub as well but it doesn't match well with my work clothes. Similarly, the green glass mil doesn't pop enough with a lot of my suits. The GP and Omega are for more casual days. I won't even bother trying to fit more than one pan on my wrist for the sake of the pics lol, but I barely wear them out. More for the collection. I have a few more pieces that are the same..I'd never wear out and just keep them hidden.

lmao this is so hilariously stupid its not even funny.

Flat front pants are ugly as fuck. Pleated for the win, sorry my junk has to have somewhere to go.

The comment on Audi? lol more like bmw or mercedes.

So glad I don't feel the need to follow hilariously stupid advice like this to think i'm dressing nice.

Anyway, I got myself a nice vintage Omega for my wedding later this month. I'll post pictures later.

Are you an insurance salesman in Iowa? If not, ditch the pleated pants.

I've got my datejust and white dial milgauss on rotation usually.. I am in slight agreement with the article in that just bangin a Rolex around everyday doesn't say much. The other choices would be:

..but I'm not fond of wearing the sub or the daytona to anything that's not special. I have the green gold sub as well but it doesn't match well with my work clothes. Similarly, the green glass mil doesn't pop enough with a lot of my suits. The GP and Omega are for more casual days. I won't even bother trying to fit more than one pan on my wrist for the sake of the pics lol, but I barely wear them out. More for the collection. I have a few more pieces that are the same..I'd never wear out and just keep them hidden.

Now that's a collection! I love the Daytona and the GP, congrats!

Still, if you are a New Yorker (maybe in the finance world?), don't you think Rolex and PAM are a bit... expected? I was in NYC a few weeks ago and I stopped counting PAM and Sub after 5 minutes walking on the 5th :):):)

Still, would love to see more pics of your 'hidden' pieces if you can!
Thanks for sharing!

captive

sorry. I take my own advice and the advice of the only other person that matters to me, my fiancé and she's fairly blunt about things. She kept wanting me to try flat front pants so i did, i didnt like them because they were horribly tight, she said I looked better in pleated. I feel good, dress good, and i look good. I got my own style, don't really care about whats supposed to be "in."

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I snicker every time I see a double breasted jacket.

Now that's a collection! I love the Daytona and the GP, congrats!

Still, if you are a New Yorker (maybe in the finance world?), don't you think Rolex and PAM are a bit... expected? I was in NYC a few weeks ago and I stopped counting PAM and Sub after 5 minutes walking on the 5th :):):)

Still, would love to see more pics of your 'hidden' pieces if you can!
Thanks for sharing!

Some are tucked away so it's not worth bringing them out. Here's the jumbo:

And yeah, it's a lot of rollies and california dials.. but there are some lately giving appreciation to the Seiko. Here's mine for example:

I snicker every time I see a double breasted jacket.

Some are tucked away so it's not worth bringing them out. Here's the jumbo:

And yeah, it's a lot of rollies and california dials.. but there are some lately giving appreciation to the Seiko. Here's mine for example:
][/URL]

Are you kidding me? You have the (2nd) most perfect sport watch ever created (sorry, I am an APRO guy :D), and you do not wear it but instead wear a boring Rolex?!? This is NOT ok, especially since you are an expert :)

Love the Nautilus and the Seiko, great classics. Thanks again for sharing, really appreciated mate!

I'm an expert

Are you kidding me? You have the (2nd) most perfect sport watch ever created (sorry, I am an APRO guy :D), and you do not wear it but instead wear a boring Rolex?!? This is NOT ok, especially since you are an expert :)

Love the Nautilus and the Seiko, great classics. Thanks again for sharing, really appreciated mate!

Wear it in the boardroom..wear it on the tennis court! lol.. shit is too flat. Sometimes I want the feeling of a fattie.

captive

As i said earlier, wanted to get a nice watch for my wedding. After a lot of searching I decided on this 1962 Omega Seamaster De Ville, calibre 550.

_A165038_zps5a0ec797.jpg

As i said earlier, wanted to get a nice watch for my wedding. After a lot of searching I decided on this 1962 Omega Seamaster De Ville, calibre 550.

Missed this as I was traveling, very nice pick up indeed!

The movement is much more interesting than 99% of the watches in this price range, great value for money for sure!

I am not a fan of the model personally, just because the seamaster is a diver for me, but I congratulate you on an original and unique choice :)

I am sure you know but the hands are not original, probably replaced recently, and while they are not based on the original design, they actually fit quite nicely and make the dial much more modern.

Wear it in good health!!

Just as a small anecdote, I spent the last few weeks looking for a winder, and god it's much more complicated than I expected:
basically, anything cheap can look like a solid choice... until you start the machine and ear a HUGE noise making it super annoying when it's on (in my case, nearly all the time). I had to go for an expensive model to have something easy to program and silent. Arf.

In any case, if you look for advice, don't hesitate to ask, from orbita to wolf design through swisskubik, I tried everything :)

Blu10

Just as a small anecdote, I spent the last few weeks looking for a winder, and god it's much more complicated than I expected:
basically, anything cheap can look like a solid choice... until you start the machine and ear a HUGE noise making it super annoying when it's on (in my case, nearly all the time). I had to go for an expensive model to have something easy to program and silent. Arf.

In any case, if you look for advice, don't hesitate to ask, from orbita to wolf design through swisskubik, I tried everything :)

What did you end up getting?

My girlfriend picked me up this one, and it is quiet as a mouse...seems pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.heidenwatchwinders.com/heiden-prestige-quad-watch-winder-black-p-7.html

What did you end up getting?

My girlfriend picked me up this one, and it is quiet as a mouse...seems pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.heidenwatchwinders.com/heiden-prestige-quad-watch-winder-black-p-7.html

Interesting, I tried the single watch winder from Heiden - I just have 2 autos and don't intend in buying much more in the next few months - this one exactly, and it was AWFULLY noisy, even much worse than some others I tried (namely wolf design in the same price range). And I am not the only one :)

Maybe they have a different engine in the 4 watches models?

I ended up with a (fantastic but expensive) Swiss Kubik Masterbox with the protective plexiglas in aluminium in blue. Crazy program possibilities (basically you set EVERYTHING), easy settings, superb design, small size, and absolutely silent. The only issue? 900 Fuc**** dollars.

Swiss-KubiK-Watch-Winder-Gear-Patrol.jpg

captive

Missed this as I was traveling, very nice pick up indeed!

The movement is much more interesting than 99% of the watches in this price range, great value for money for sure!

I am not a fan of the model personally, just because the seamaster is a diver for me, but I congratulate you on an original and unique choice :)

I am sure you know but the hands are not original, probably replaced recently, and while they are not based on the original design, they actually fit quite nicely and make the dial much more modern.

Wear it in good health!!
Thanks. I did know about the hands, seller was very upfront that they had just been replaced by Omega, i believe or the parts came from them, one of the two.

We're pretty much opposites, as I really do not like the look of "diver" watches. I'm not a diver ;) They're very big and bulky, i like a smaller piece, simple and classy. Unless you can see the skeleton, i'm a sucker for skeleton timepieces.

Thanks. I did know about the hands, seller was very upfront that they had just been replaced by Omega, i believe or the parts came from them, one of the two.

We're pretty much opposites, as I really do not like the look of "diver" watches. I'm not a diver ;) They're very big and bulky, i like a smaller piece, simple and classy. Unless you can see the skeleton, i'm a sucker for skeleton timepieces.

Oh, I am not a fan of divers either to be honest, although I'd want one in my collection at some point, I am just talking about this specific range at Omega, it's called Seamaster for a reason :):):)

But again, great choice!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

They failed by the first post about shoes...

Prada and Gucci; start and end there. Decent $700 shoes will last you 3-4x times longer than something you pick up from Bloomingdale’s for $300. Do the math.
/QUOTE]

Sure, spend money on shoes. But never fashion brands...Go Carmina, Alfred Sargent or Crockett & Jones for that money. Or Gaziano & Girling, Edward Green, John Lobb, Corthay or St. Crispins if you can afford it.

Also, Four-in-hand over Windsor any day.

Have my eye on this timepiece. Saw it instore and found it nice. It has many fine details that you can't see in photos. Any opinions?

AFAIK: For all "reasonably" priced Montblanc watches: it's ETA movement. for this one, probably a Valjoux 775x.

Richemont who own Montblanc has bought for them Minerva and is integrating them to kickstart Montblanc horological story and competencies.

If you like the watch go for it, some watch snob might say that you have overpaid for a brand that has little cred.
Maybe try to find it used, the mark down is usually quiet high on those kind of watch

They failed by the first post about shoes...

Prada and Gucci; start and end there. Decent $700 shoes will last you 3-4x times longer than something you pick up from Bloomingdale’s for $300. Do the math.

Sure, spend money on shoes. But never fashion brands...Go Carmina, Alfred Sargent or Crockett & Jones for that money. Or Gaziano & Girling, Edward Green, John Lobb, Corthay or St. Crispins if you can afford it.

Also, Four-in-hand over Windsor any day.
I think my best buy in shoes are actually the entry level of luxury: Loding in france, Mack James (Carlos Santos now i believe): About 200 to 300 USD and 6 years late, still holding good...

That make me thinks: if i create a "shoe topic" with how you need to take care of them (clean them and such) to make them shine and live longer, would that be of interest to some of you?

Scalibur

AFAIK: For all "reasonably" priced Montblanc watches: it's ETA movement. for this one, probably a Valjoux 775x.

Richemont who own Montblanc has bought for them Minerva and is integrating them to kickstart Montblanc horological story and competencies.

If you like the watch go for it, some watch snob might say that you have overpaid for a brand that has little cred.
Maybe try to find it used, the mark down is usually quiet high on those kind of watch

Definitely not buying at the MB boutique. Looking at a gently used one.

Have my eye on this timepiece. Saw it instore and found it nice. It has many fine details that you can't see in photos. Any opinions?

It's surely not a bad watch, but do you really want to pay a few thousands for a watch with a dial slapped with an (overrated) pen brand? Wouldn't you prefer to buy a watch from a watch maker?

You are basically buying a marketing plan, not really a product, a bit sad if you ask me.

In this price range there are much more interesting timepieces in my opinion. The only Montblanc I personally like are the Nicolas Rieussec line.

Finally, with ETA/Valjoux based watch, don't forget you take a big fall in value if you buy new, even unworn you can find a watch for nearly -40% already...

Still, keep us posted and enjoy!

edit: after verification it is indeed a Valjoux 7750 :)

I think my best buy in shoes are actually the entry level of luxury: Loding in france, Mack James (Carlos Santos now i believe): About 200 to 300 USD and 6 years late, still holding good...

That make me thinks: if i create a "shoe topic" with how you need to take care of them (clean them and such) to make them shine and live longer, would that be of interest to some of you?

I am a total shoe noob, and would love to be enlightened!

What other watches would you recommend for this price range? I don't know much about watches, I just liked it when I saw it.

You could get any divers friendly watch with a Valjoux 7750 and a steel bracelet.
Maybe a Sinn 103st:
103-St-Sa_V.jpg

A lot of different finish available
200m water resistant (like when you wash dish)
Shock resistant (better be safe than sorry
80,000 am electro magnetic field resistant (you never know)
Low pressure resistant (if you got to EVA for any reason)

Very cheap (less that 2K EUR) and very respectable

What other watches would you recommend for this price range? I don't know much about watches, I just liked it when I saw it.

Funny enough I wanted to recommend a Sinn 103st on bracelet :)

Mobius has you covered, a much better choice on all level, history, relevance, dial design, casing and movement modifications.

If you are OK to push the budget a tiny little bit, I would also like to recommend the 6000 model in its chrono form:

Sinn-6000-Finanzplatzuhr_6000_art_4132_bild_gr_1368690987.jpg

Enjoy the hunt!

Scalibur

Thanks for the recommendations. I have some time before I make my purchase. Glad we have knowledgeable individuals in this thread.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

I hear meermin is a really good value as well.

To be perfectly honest, I do have a pair of Gucci dress shoes bought several years ago that are still holding up. Bought at 70% discount tho.

Currently have a pair of Carminas, and I'm waiting on a pair of Edward Green Galways (MTO).

I tend to browse Styleforum for shoes and watches, but the discussion there tend to be a bit (a lot) above my level. So I wouldn't mind a thread here as well.

I subbed to this thread but man getting so jealous of these watches... All I have is a Seiko 5 and a cheap Skagen

A Seiko 5 is already an interesting piece. If you want something better in your eyes just save up every month, be a bit patient, and in not too long you'll have something you will be proud of :)

Enron

Banned

Go Alden or go home!

pwack

Recently I've been looking into the high accuracy quartz watches from Grand Seiko and Citizen. They are a very compelling mix of fit and finish, technological marvel (hand-picked crystals with individually calibrated movements, etc.), price, and style.

For example, check out this:

From the "The Citizen" line. This is not only pretty good looking in my opinion, but very well made with interesting materials (Duratech titanium), 10 year warranty, long battery life (its eco-drive, and citizen say you can expect 80% capacity still after 20 years), perpetual calendar, independently adjustable hour hand, and is rated to +/- 5 seconds a YEAR. Citizen will regulate the watch during year 2 and year 8 of its life to make sure it keeps to this spec.

Always been interested in those 'high accuracy' quartz movement. Not my personal cup of tea, but still every interesting pieces.

Not too long ago, I think early 2013, I posted in this very thread that I thought Nomos would probably step up their price and add more expensive models to their line up in the near future.

Well, not too bad at predicting stuff :D, today Nomos revealed their first models not in SS (white gold and rose gold), which price point is 4 times the usual Nomos pricing, and, if you ask me, the front and back visual design is an absolute beauty (if you like understated watches that is).

The LUX (I have to make sure Miss Sushiman falls in love with this one, perfect gift for her :D)

NOMOS-Lux-Weissgold-hell-01.jpg

NOMOS-Lux-Weissgold-back-03.jpg

And the lambda (not their best name... Here in RG, also exist in WG):

Nomos-Lambda-watch-11.jpg

Nomos-Lambda-watch-14.jpg

pwack

Those new Nomos are stunning. I am not about to break into 5 figures for a watch, much less with the first number starting at 2, but man! If only they would make a version of the Lux in steel.

Laekon

I got a question for Timepiece GAF. I got a Orient Mako today but it doesn't seem to be holding any power. I shake it a few times to get it going, set the time, put it on my wrist, and then it stops a minute later. This is my first automatic watch so do I need to keep shaking it for awhile to build up a reserve? It seems my regular movement isn't doing anything.

pwack

I got a question for Timepiece GAF. I got a Orient Mako today but it doesn't seem to be holding any power. I shake it a few times to get it going, set the time, put it on my wrist, and then it stops a minute later. This is my first automatic watch so do I need to keep shaking it for awhile to build up a reserve? It seems my regular movement isn't doing anything.

Shaking it will get an initial power reserve, but if you then just hang out rather sedentary (like sitting on the couch or some other activity with little arm motion) that reserve will disapate relatively quickly. Go take a walk around the block to give a kick start to the reserve. After that, assuming you have a normal, moderately active life, you should be ok.

If you have been regularly active (walking around the house/neighborhood/etc.) and the watch nevertheless keeps stopping, there may be an issue.

You need to wind it too my friend!

You can shake it first to start the rotor, but you also need to wind the crown.
I am not sure what model you have, but I think crowns are screwed down on Makos, so: just unscrew the crown (turn counter clockwise), and when it releases, turn it clockwise to wind it, if it changes the date, or the hour/minute hands, you are not in the right setting, just try to push/pull the crown to get to the right one. When you found the right set up, wind it 15-20 times.

Then just wear it everyday, except if you are a walrus and sleep all day it will never stop.
In the case the watch stops again because you don't wear it for a couple of days, do the same thing again.

Finally, it is NOT a good idea to wind your automatic everyday to make sure the reserve is always full, the movement is built on the assumption that you will wind it moving your wrist with the rotor, and JUST wind it to start it when it's down. Those movements are in now way built to be wound everyday like a manual winding watch.

Enjoy your nice mako!

Laekon

I'm pretty sure you can't wind the Mako watch. I think it's damaged from shipping and hope the Island Watches customer service is okay.

Top Bottom