• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

pwack

Your first hunch was the right one, I've been drawn to this particular model for a long time and just wanted a fun/retro/colorful watch to complement the gorgeous Paul Smith cufflinks miss Sushiman got me for Christmas :) (yeah, I am bit into the 50s/60s look these days...)

I am sorry it's a bit 'commonplace' though :D I'll try to do better on the next (which should be a high-end diver if I do not change my mind).

No offense intended (and I'm guessing none taken). Just meant that it is a little less stratospheric than 2 of your other awesome watches. A great watch regardless.

Having passed up on the Grand Seiko at thanksgiving, I find myself still thinking about getting one. Or at least another SARB/SARX.

I'm enlisted in the Army, so it's a watch I want to get after BCT to wear on duty. I'll be wearing this most of the time-

Congratulations for serving your country.

You need a watch that's rugged, reliable, simple to use, with great lumes and also an alarm would help.

If you do not like Gshock, did you give a try to the Protrek line from Casio? A certain Pwack guy introduced me to those and they could be the perfect deal for you :)

No offense intended (and I'm guessing none taken). Just meant that it is a little less stratospheric than 2 of your other awesome watches. A great watch regardless.

Having passed up on the Grand Seiko at thanksgiving, I find myself still thinking about getting one. Or at least another SARB/SARX.

Of course none taken!
And the day I will stop caring for/buying more affordable watches is the day when I won't be a watch fan anymore, but just a boring rich guy :D

pwack

Can I get some watch advice?

I'm think about getting a new watch. I'd like it to be analog, with a digital window inset that I can set to military time, as well as set alarms, etc.

Here are two examples of what I like aesthetically.

MTM Special Ops Black Air Stryk. This is about the "busiest" I'd like it to be. I've seen some G-Shock watches that look similar, but, IDK, the G-Shocks like kinda like shit to me. The MTM is way out of my price range.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the Seiko Military automatic. I love the look of this watch, but it's more basic then I want too.

Anything you guys can recommend I look at? My tentative price range is about $300, but I'd look at anything under $600.

One of the classier ani-digi G-Shocks is the GW-2500B. It looks pretty close to the MTM and is pretty classy/uncluttered for a G. I'm working from my phone for the moment and pics are eluding me, so you will need to google it yourself. But overall, a G-Shock should serve you well.

The Seiko you posted is a decent watch. But for a tool watch going into the army, I'd be more interested in rugged quartz over mechanical. Seiko makes a similar watch in quartz -- in fact, I own one and it's in my watch box pictured above. Comes on a bracelet, but can easily be swapped onto a NATO strap. The downside is you need to import from Japan. Even though I like that watch a lot, I'd be taking my G-Shock to basic.

You can also check out Marathon Watches. They have some interesting mil-spec options.

I do like the old-school looking G-shocks. That could be a good watch to get.

bUZAy3W.jpg

pwack

I do like the old-school looking G-shocks. That could be a good watch to get.

I like mine, and I know Sushiman here has one in white. It is a relatively iconic watch it it's own right.

They are very rugged and practical and reasonably priced. The general square style comes with a ton of different modules that offer different options -- solar batteries, atomic clock syncing, multiple alarms, Bluetooth connectivity to a phone (?), etc. Mine at least (I believe it's a 5600E) can show the time in either 12 or 24 hour format as well, which it sounds like you want. Plus the backlight would be helpful in night exercises.

It's a nice watch, even if I personally prefer mechanical, I really like the detailed dial.

off topic:

Thank you very much Mistaken Moebius, since you posted your cuff links, I started getting interested, and got into Tateossian :D I just pulled the trigger on a heavily discounted model at sacks avenue online. Just received the package this morning, and I was super happy to be able to wear them on new years eve... Except this is what I received, all of it:

unnamed_4.jpg

pwack

Thank you very much Mistaken Moebius, since you posted your cuff links, I started getting interested, and got into Tateossian :D I just pulled the trigger on a heavily discounted model at sacks avenue online. Just received the package this morning, and I was super happy to be able to wear them on new years eve... Except this is what I received, all of it:

I hope the discount was at least half off. :)

On-topic: one last pick up for 2013. Remind me not to buy anything else till May or so.

Lume shot (this guy is intense):

It's a nice watch, even if I personally prefer mechanical, I really like the detailed dial.

off topic:

unnamed_4.jpg
bummer :/
Did you managed to get the customer service of the retailer?

anyway: happy new year to watch gaf!

On-topic: one last pick up for 2013. Remind me not to buy anything else till May or so.

Still deciding which I like best. The old or new design. Either way, this one is a modern classic!

Do you know where your watch box came from? Or what brand it is?

pwack

Still deciding which I like best. The old or new design. Either way, this one is a modern classic!

Do you know where your watch box came from? Or what brand it is?

Thanks. At times the arrow indices seem a little cartoonish, but overall I like how the dial on this new version is somewhat simpler and cleaner compared to the previous version.

As for the watch box, it was a gift and there's no label so I have no idea as to brand or origin.

Antagon

Thinking about picking up this:

0_640.jpg

Found a nice sale, but only one left. Wasn't planning to pick up one so soon though.

Well, it just got a contender:

A slightly cheaper Tissot, but missing a lot of the Citizen features. The dial is a tad smaller though, which is a plus. Otherwise I have to see both side to side to decide which looks better.

Edit: Loving this Citizen as well:

I think I'm going to check some more stores before deciding.

I promise I'll remind you!

The king of rugged affordable divers, not my style, but still, respect :D

bummer :/
Did you managed to get the customer service of the retailer?

anyway: happy new year to watch gaf!

Yeah, I sent a picture right away, and they arranged a pick up by DHL and a full refund (with tax), so it's ok. I would have preferred to get a new one, but they are out of stock (the mark down was like 70%....).

One of the new IWC aquatimer for 2014, super modern, I love them!

IWC-Aquatimer-2000m-620x486.jpg

What an ugly, ugly watch. No wonder why people across the message boards hate it the design. Just look at it. IWC seems to be going down the wrong path lately with their watches.

Anyway, I was just reading about Damasko's in-house movements, and was surprised to see them comparable to the 8500 coaxial. That's great to hear. Too bad I'm not very fond of their watch designs.

I saw that too!

Apparently the watch is enormous, 45mm, which I did not know, and actually I agree it ruins it. But I have to admit I personally really like the dial design, the hands and especially the come back to the inner rotating bezel vs their 'push down' models of the past few years.

I really love these Aquatimer:

But not that much these:

Arf.

I don't think the size ruins it per se. It looks like a tool watch which supposed to be rugged and al that. The thing is, I don't think it bad looking. I wouldn't buy such a watch from IWC though as it doesn't portait quality and the price I would have paid for it. It presents itself as a model that is available from cheaper brands.

Antagon

Big dark face and non leather band. Would the nighthawk be to your liking Buckethead?

To be honest. I'm thinking of buying the nighthawk. I love automatics but the ease of use and precision of a quartz watch is something I also value. Due to my work I'm wearing a beater (Vostok) during the day. But during the evening it is a relieve not having to wind an automatic and putting on a quartz. I'm currently and happily wearing the Seiko snda65 but I like to mix it up a bit. I'm wondering if anyone over here has one or owned one and can give an impression of the watch.

After checking out a ton of watches in stores I decided that I'm going to get a nighthawk myself. A ton of watches look great on pics but become too flashy in person. I love how this watch is pretty busy but at the same time easy to look at because of the lack of shiny details in the dial.
Only thing I dislike is the bracelet. I prefer a strap, but the versions with a strap all have colors in the dial or text that I don't like as much.

I guess I could just replace the bracelet with a strap? And any tips for straps that would work well with this? I'm guessing that a canvas or rubber strap works pretty well.

There is also two versions in the EU: the AS2020 and AS2031. Differences seem to be that the 2020 is made from steel and has mineral glass, while the 2031 is made from Titanium and has a Sapphire crystal. The 2031 is out of my budget though, the cheapest I found it is 550, while the 2020 I can get fot 400. Bit of a bummer, as other Citizen watches in this price class do tend to have Sapphire crystals.

pwack

After checking out a ton of watches in stores I decided that I'm going to get a nighthawk myself. A ton of watches look great on pics but become too flashy in person. I love how this watch is pretty busy but at the same time easy to look at because of the lack of shiny details in the dial.
Only thing I dislike is the bracelet. I prefer a strap, but the versions with a strap all have colors in the dial or text that I don't like as much.

I guess I could just replace the bracelet with a strap? And any tips for straps that would work well with this? I'm guessing that a canvas or rubber strap works pretty well.

There is also two versions in the EU: the AS2020 and AS2031. Differences seem to be that the 2020 is made from steel and has mineral glass, while the 2031 is made from Titanium and has a Sapphire crystal. The 2031 is out of my budget though, the cheapest I found it is 550, while the 2020 I can get fot 400. Bit of a bummer, as other Citizen watches in this price class do tend to have Sapphire crystals.

Why is a nighthawk that much? In the US, they are closer to $200-$250 USD from websites like creationwatches.com. Maybe consider importing?

Make sure you aren't paying MSRP.

Edit: I see this is a radio synced watch. That really isn't necessary for a watch unless you are OCD about accuracy, and is likely driving up cost versus other nighthawk models. I would suggest looking at other models if radio syncing isn't important to you.

Antagon

Why is a nighthawk that much? In the US, they are closer to $200-$250 USD from websites like creationwatches.com. Maybe consider importing?

Make sure you aren't paying MSRP.

Edit: I see this is a radio synced watch. That really isn't necessary for a watch unless you are OCD about accuracy, and is likely driving up cost versus other nighthawk models. I would suggest looking at other models if radio syncing isn't important to you.

In Europe there are only radio controlled nighthawks and I'm not too fond of importing. Not so sure why they're so expensive though, as there are multi timezone, radio controlled, sapphire glass Citizen watches that have a MSRP of 400 Euros, while the Nighthawk is 500. But I simply didn't like the others as much.

Plus I'm a bit of a tech geek, so I kinda like the idea of a radio controlled watch.

I don't think the size ruins it per se. It looks like a tool watch which supposed to be rugged and al that. The thing is, I don't think it bad looking. I wouldn't buy such a watch from IWC though as it doesn't portait quality and the price I would have paid for it. It presents itself as a model that is available from cheaper brands.

I guess you nailed it, a lot of people see this design as much more suited to cheaper brand, and I can see why.
I personally still think they had to re-invent the Aquatimer line in some way, and I salute the efforts, even if I am the clear minority :D

In Europe there are only radio controlled nighthawks and I'm not too fond of importing. Not so sure why they're so expensive though, as there are multi timezone, radio controlled, sapphire glass Citizen watches that have a MSRP of 400 Euros, while the Nighthawk is 500. But I simply didn't like the others as much.

Plus I'm a bit of a tech geek, so I kinda like the idea of a radio controlled watch.

Very personal I guess, but 500 euros / $700 is much more the realm of cheap mechanical/aut, than the one of quartz based watches (which I would only recommend for very specific and unusual use, like the recent poster who just enrolled in the army).

For not much more you can start looking at Steinhart, Stowa. For the same price you could find a fantastic vintage Omega, a great SARB, a cool diver from Seiko or Orient etc.

I agree with pwack, the Nighthawk at its 'normal' pricing (around $200) is definitely a great choice, but not really anymore at $700.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edit: Actually, I have found something better: in the same genre as the Nighthawk, this Oris F1 Williams chrono with a busy dark dial, but still classy and easy to read, and the chrono version can be found for around $800 slightly used - just a bit more than your budget, and with all due respect to the Citizen fans everywhere, it just destroys the Nighthawk in every way :D

Oris_F1_Dark_fr__-thumb-450x295.jpg

Antagon

I guess you nailed it, a lot of people see this design as much more suited to cheaper brand, and I can see why.
I personally still think they had to re-invent the Aquatimer line in some way, and I salute the efforts, even if I am the clear minority :D

Very personal I guess, but 500 euros / $700 is much more the realm of cheap mechanical/aut, than the one of quartz based watches (which I would only recommend for very specific and unusual use, like the recent poster who just enrolled in the army).

For not much more you can start looking at Steinhart, Stowa. For the same price you could find a fantastic vintage Omega, a great SARB, a cool diver from Seiko or Orient etc.

I agree with pwack, the Nighthawk at its 'normal' pricing (around $200) is definitely a great choice, but not really anymore at $700.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edit: Actually, I have found something better: in the same genre as the Nighthawk, this Oris F1 Williams chrono with a busy dark dial, but still classy and easy to read, and the chrono version can be found for around $800 slightly used - just a bit more than your budget, and with all due respect to the Citizen fans everywhere, it just destroys the Nighthawk in every way :D

Oris_F1_Dark_fr__-thumb-450x295.jpg

Excuse me for all the rambling, I'm not the quickest decision making. After a good night sleep I started thinking straight and decided that I'm going to get an Asian Nighthawk. Much cheaper and the black plated version looks great. Downside is that it's not manufactured anymore, but it isn't hard to find on Ebay.

Anyone know if it would be a problem to get it serviced in the EU? I guess citizen can still replace the crystal if needed?

Excuse me for all the rambling, I'm not the quickest decision making. After a good night sleep I started thinking straight and decided that I'm going to get an Asian Nighthawk. Much cheaper and the black plated version looks great. Downside is that it's not manufactured anymore, but it isn't hard to find on Ebay.

Anyone know if it would be a problem to get it serviced in the EU? I guess citizen can still replace the crystal if needed?

I doubt that servicing would be a problem as the model was sold over here too.

As for straps. I'd just image search for 'nighthawk strap'.:)

So simian. No wonder why you watch lovers complain about your watches getting caught im the hair, lol.

I've had my viewmatic for almost a year now, and timed it with the atomic clock. Its running spot on; no gains or loss. Not bad for an ETA movement.

So simian. No wonder why you watch lovers complain about your watches getting caught im the hair, lol.

I've had my viewmatic for almost a year now, and timed it with the atomic clock. Its running spot on; no gains or loss. Not bad for an ETA movement.

Well, yeah, I am a man :)

It's quite interesting to note that everyone never mocked my hairy wrists when it was dressed up with a Glashutte Original PML or an APRO, but now with a SEIKO, it's all you guys talk about :D.

I have no idea what you mean about your Viewmatic accuracy, I imagine that that it runs in the second within 24h? If that's the case, I am very happy for you. A shame you wanted to sell it :)

Hey, weekend_warrior, I haven't had a chance to take photos of my watches since I've been working non-stop, but the offer is still up for my watches. If you don't or can't buy them anytime soon, then I guess I'll try WUS to sell my Viewmatic, because I really need the money.

Hey, weekend_warrior, I haven't had a chance to take photos of my watches since I've been working non-stop, but the offer is still up for my watches. If you don't or can't buy them anytime soon, then I guess I'll try WUS to sell my Viewmatic, because I really need the money.

Yeah I wont be able to buy anything soon, so you're probably better off selling elsewhere.

The beast has arrived. I had to get it from the post office because the postman wasn't able to carry the package to my door (or I just wasn't there to receive it, I can't recollect:p).

If I were to describe this watch, I'd say it's big! The case is 5cm across (excluding the 1cm tall crown) and 1,6cm thick. It's heavy but not as heavy as I thought it would be. It's actually quite comfortable to wear. After a few hours I'm already getting used to the size. It would fit right between those fashion watches I see people wearing everyday.;)

I'd also describe it as a gaudy watch. Though this mostly is due to its size and crown. I think the minimalistic face and milled steel case make it easier to appreciate. It just feels very solid. This is my first watch with a glass back so the movement is something to marvel at. The strap is... a parnis strap. I plan to replace it with a brown leather strap.

I bought this watch as a guilty pleasure. But also to see how a big watch would be to wear. I do think it will take me a while to build up the courage to wear it outside though.

Good lord the old Hamilton produced some amazing movements.

From a WUS member:

e5u6ygum.jpg

923 movement project turning them into wristwatches.

Damn it's ashame what happened to Hamilton.

Pastry

Banned
GAF can you help me with watch recommendations?

I'm looking for something classy, I'm in my mid-twenties and finally trying to class myself up a bit. If it helps my wrists are also skinny so something with a big face probably wouldn't work. I'm a young professional getting my career started and I'd like something that I could wear to work but also wear when I go out to the bars. I guess I'm looking for something classy that can be dressed up or down depending on the situation. I really don't like gaudy stuff and I think I want the face to look relatively clean if that makes sense. I'm thinking around a $400-$500 budget.

maeh2k

I'm looking for something classy, I'm in my mid-twenties and finally trying to class myself up a bit. If it helps my wrists are also skinny so something with a big face probably wouldn't work. I'm a young professional getting my career started and I'd like something that I could wear to work but also wear when I go out to the bars. I guess I'm looking for something classy that can be dressed up or down depending on the situation. I really don't like gaudy stuff and I think I want the face to look relatively clean if that makes sense. I'm thinking around a $400-$500 budget.

How about this Tissot? http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classic/tissot-le-locle-men-s-silver-automatic-classic-watch.html
(also available with black dial: http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classic.html?tissot_bracelet=98&tissot_diameter=43&tissot_movement_type=119).

Colleague of mine has that one and it looks classy as fuck :)
Also seems reasonably priced with ETA movement and sapphire crystal.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Seiko 5's are always a good call for a starter watch that is versatile.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C7S6M6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These look really good in business casual and every day dress wear.

Seiko's newer kinetics are also really nice for their price, and the kinetic motor can last for over a week when not worn.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSOYR7M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007554W7A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's nice and clean, well put together but doesn't have the worlds most interesting movement.

Pastry

Banned
How about this Tissot? http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classic/tissot-le-locle-men-s-silver-automatic-classic-watch.html
(also available with black dial: http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classic.html?tissot_bracelet=98&tissot_diameter=43&tissot_movement_type=119).

Colleague of mine has that one and it looks classy as fuck :)
Also seems reasonably priced with ETA movement and sapphire crystal.

That type of watch is the direction I want to head, thank you. If anyone else has recommendations please let me know. I'm going to be doing research this week and bite the bullet on one next week.

pwack

That type of watch is the direction I want to head, thank you. If anyone else has recommendations please let me know. I'm going to be doing research this week and bite the bullet on one next week.

Seiko SARB033, order from this guy in Japan and it will arrive in less than 5 days: http://www.seiyajapan.com/

Or the SARX or the Cocktail Time (pictured on Sushiman above), both available from the same place.

I'm selling my Hamilton Viewmatic. Going for $370. Mint condition except for tiny hairline scratches that you barely see. I've only had the watch for about a year, only wore it maybe 15 times and it still keeps excellent time. My wrist is 6 inches, so they're small, too, and the watch fits perfect.

Follow this link to see my watch for sale, plus pictures!

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-hamilton-viewmatic-40mm-h32515535-966848.html

Seiko SARB and Tissot are great suggestions for dressy/casual, if you are into sportier stuff, Obris Morgan does interesting watches for half your budget (42mm is around the limit for tiny wrist).

(image stolen)

-Setsuna-

Bought a SBGW001 a few months ago and, even if it looks superb with the bracelet it came with, I'd slightly prefer a good old leather strap ; lighter, more confortable and less prone to scratches.

Do you guys have some recommendations, apart from eBay and Watchbandcenter?

(The Grand Seiko ones are a bit too narrow, IMO, being 19-16mm, from top to buckle. I'd prefer 19-18mm or 19-17)

I've heard Seiko leather straps are crap; turns out that's true?
They were terrible in the 90's, but tend to be pretty good now.

Also, my second SARB065 had a better/more supple strap, for some reason.

is that a cocktail time?
Not exactly. "Cocktail Time" is, in fact, a 3 model series, in collaboration with Shinobu Ishigaki.

SARB065 - "Cool"
SARB066 - "Dry"
SARB068 - "Sweet"

There are plenty of Seiko (Mechanical, Presage) and Orient Star watches within your budget. You should take a look on Rakuten.

Iph

Banned
Maybe this isn't considered a "fine timepiece" but I've been looking for a quality, classic, staple watch to replace the cheap $30 one I bought for work that finally died on me.

I'd like to get something swiss made, if possible, but I'm hoping to not spend more than $200 - $300 if possible, if I snag a deal.

So far I've found the Victorinox Swiss Army Officer's Ladies watch (XS) to look great, be "my size" (I have tiny wrists), have military numbers on it and the date (I used military time for work). I basically want to buy one watch that I can wear all the time that can go with everything. Something basic, smart looking, functional, and that will last me. I'm not into girly looking watches either. I barely wear jewellery. Would love some opinions on what TimepieceGAF thinks of the brands quality, etc. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed! I haven't had a proper watch in years, and never one that costs more than $50. I want to make sure I'll be happy with my purchase if I'm going to shell out that much for it. :3

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Womens-Officers-XS-Black-Dial-Watch-L14271053.jpg

maeh2k

Maybe this isn't considered a "fine timepiece" but I've been looking for a quality, classic, staple watch to replace the cheap $30 one I bought for work that finally died on me.

I'd like to get something swiss made, if possible, but I'm hoping to not spend more than $200 - $300 if possible, if I snag a deal.

So far I've found the Victorinox Swiss Army Officer's Ladies watch (XS) to look great, be "my size" (I have tiny wrists), have military numbers on it and the date (I used military time for work). I basically want to buy one watch that I can wear all the time that can go with everything. Something basic, smart looking, functional, and that will last me. I'm not into girly looking watches either. I barely wear jewellery. Would love some opinions on what TimepieceGAF thinks of the brands quality, etc. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed! I haven't had a proper watch in years, and never one that costs more than $50. I want to make sure I'll be happy with my purchase if I'm going to shell out that much for it. :3

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Womens-Officers-XS-Black-Dial-Watch-L14271053.jpg

To me military numbers seems like an odd request (that might limit your options a lot). Is that, like, an American thing, where it's uncommon to see those 'military' numbers? Might be easier to e.g. set your phone to 24hr display and get accustomed to the 'military' numbers.

Iph

Banned
To me military numbers seems like an odd request (that might limit your options a lot). Is that, like, an American thing, where it's uncommon to see those 'military' numbers? Might be easier to e.g. set your phone to 24hr display and get accustomed to the 'military' numbers.

I am accustomed to military numbers. I have to use them at work. My phone is on military time too. It's not an absolute necessity for a watch, just something I'm used to using/having. I've looked at some Seiko's too, but my biggest wants/needs are that it has to be a well-made, quality watch that's pretty classic and simple.

I am accustomed to military numbers. I have to use them at work. My phone is on military time too. It's not an absolute necessity for a watch, just something I'm used to using/having. I've looked at some Seiko's too, but my biggest wants/needs are that it has to be a well-made, quality watch that's pretty classic and simple.

Hamilton makes a line of 38mm watches with military time stamps. They might be a little out of your range, but worth a look.

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/field/auto-38mm

Iph

Banned
Top Bottom