• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm pretty sure you can't wind the Mako watch. I think it's damaged from shipping and hope the Island Watches customer service is okay.

That sounds incredibly unlikely. Unscrew the crown counter-clockwise. And then turn it clockwise.

Edit: read page 9

That sounds incredibly unlikely. Unscrew the crown counter-clockwise. And then turn it clockwise.

Edit: read page 9

Interesting indeed!! I did not know you could overwind a mako, but it seems it's the case, so forget the 15-20 turns to wind it, just wind it until it feels hard and PLEASE DON'T TRY HARDER, you could break the movement!

edit: mmmmm, actually I am probably totally wrong, as suggested by this thread, sincere apologies Laekon. So the guys propose to "wind" (move it back and forth, turn it) it during like a couple of minutes for a full reserve. Just try it before contacting any CS.

PS: keen, I imagine this is a generic document which includes both instruction for a manual and an auto.

Laekon

From my limited research in buying the Mako it didn't seem like any low end automatic could be hand wound.

So Island Watch got back to me quickly and emailed a next day air call tag to return it. It seems they will just replace the head and send the same band back to me. Since they had the lowest price and shipped fast overall they have been a good store so far.

From my limited research in buying the Mako it didn't seem like any low end automatic could be hand wound.

So Island Watch got back to me quickly and emailed a next day air call tag to return it. It seems they will just replace the head and send the same band back to me. Since they had the lowest price and shipped fast overall they have been a good store so far.

Did you try what they recommend in this thread?

Laekon

I shook it twice for over 5 minutes and it never lasted more than a few minutes. The one thing I did notice was that it was always stopping with the second hand right around the nine. I also found it would start again when setting the time but would die in a minute after you stopped.

This whole thing made me find an old Fossil I had bought a few years ago. I realized it was a half automatic half quartz movement. The hour and minute run off a battery but the second hand runs on a self winding movement. Just giving a single shake sets it running for a few minutes.

I shook it twice for over 5 minutes and it never lasted more than a few minutes. The one thing I did notice was that it was always stopping with the second hand right around the nine. I also found it would start again when setting the time but would die in a minute after you stopped.

This whole thing made me find an old Fossil I had bought a few years ago. I realized it was a half automatic half quartz movement. The hour and minute run off a battery but the second hand runs on a self winding movement. Just giving a single shake sets it running for a few minutes.

Really sorry to hear that, you were quite unlucky as Orient movements have a very solid reputation but clearly you tried everything, and the watch is just faulty. That just happens.

Those Fossil are extremely easy to wind as the (fake) automatic movement only propels one hand, and therefore needs a small shake to work for hours. Horrible concept by the way :D You are much better of with your Orient :)

Slizz

While randomly cleaning things I found an old Seiko 6139-6005 automatic watch. This thing looks pretty awesome but needs a little work.

oHztolE.jpg

Not my pic, but this particular watch has the same inner ring offset(don't know official term for it but its the outer ring under the crystal, the 10 is at the 8 minute mark).

It also is missing the crown but I think still has the stem and the crowns run about $20.

The auto-movement still works as I wound it up and got the stopwatch hand to work but only for a short time, so I'm not sure how good the movement still is. I have it on my winder now.

How much do you guys think it would run to get it 'restored' to a normal working order? The strap and crystal are still sound.

While randomly cleaning things I found an old Seiko 6139-6005 automatic watch. This thing looks pretty awesome but needs a little work.

Not my pic, but this particular watch has the same inner ring offset(don't know official term for it but its the outer ring under the crystal, the 10 is at the 8 minute mark).

It also is missing the crown but I think still has the stem and the crowns run about $20.

The auto-movement still works as I wound it up and got the stopwatch hand to work but only for a short time, so I'm not sure how good the movement still is. I have it on my winder now.

How much do you guys think it would run to get it 'restored' to a normal working order? The strap and crystal are still sound.

What a great piece! Always had a soft spot for those vintage pepsi seiko.

The inner chapter ring is actually a rotating one: the crown has different setting, one of which is used to rotate the ring. As soon as you get a replacement crown you will be able to determine if it is working.

For the price, my guess would be a nice movement clean up to get it working properly will be around $150-200, more if it's done by SEIKO. If there are more issues it could cost more. Still worth it if you are attached to the piece and intend on wearing it. Just FYI, this is a chrono, so I would only trust a reputable AD/servicing facility to service it.

You can find a wealth of information here.

Slizz

What a great piece! Always had a soft spot for those vintage pepsi seiko.

The inner chapter ring is actually a rotating one: the crown has different setting, one of which is used to rotate the ring. As soon as you get a replacement crown you will be able to determine if it is working.

For the price, my guess would be a nice movement clean up to get it working properly will be around $150-200, more if it's done by SEIKO. If there are more issues it could cost more. Still worth it if you are attached to the piece and intend on wearing it. Just FYI, this is a chrono, so I would only trust a reputable AD/servicing facility to service it.

You can find a wealth of information here.

Wow awesome, apparently its a 1971 case. Pretty bad ass....

I have a watch guy, not sure on his credentials but he's been working on watches since he was 12 and hes like 50 something now with his own store. Gonna take it by him, have him crack it open and diagnose it before I do any work.

Laekon

Got my Orient Mako back today and it works perfectly. The service at Island Watches was pretty good as it went out last Friday and I got it back today(cross country shipping). I've only worn it half a day but it seems more comfortable than the leather strap watches I've had in the past. It's a great piece for under $150.

I'm looking to buy a watch.

One with a classy, professional look for work-type situations and another for more casual, go-out-with friends contexts.

My tastes tend to skew towards larger faces, dark watches, and non-leather bands, but I don't really know much about quality of brands, etc., so if anyone can offer some input that'd be appreciated.

Any suggestions?

maeh2k

I'm looking to buy a watch.

One with a classy, professional look for work-type situations and another for more casual, go-out-with friends contexts.

My tastes tend to skew towards larger faces, dark watches, and non-leather bands, but I don't really know much about quality of brands, etc., so if anyone can offer some input that'd be appreciated.

Any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions, but it might be helpful to know a bit more about what you are looking for, e.g. in terms of price range or whether you'd value a mechanical watch.

Slizz

Looking for some replacement parts for my Seiko 6139.

Any reason why a store on Ebay from the Philippines has everything I need for reasonable prices?

$8 for a new crystal, $8 for a new crown, $13 for a new bezel, $16 for a new dial....

Seller rating is in the 99th percentile.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Looking for some replacement parts for my Seiko 6139.

Any reason why a store on Ebay from the Philippines has everything I need for reasonable prices?

$8 for a new crystal, $8 for a new crown, $13 for a new bezel, $16 for a new dial....

Seller rating is in the 99th percentile.

Huh that's peculiar, could be an old watch repair shop owner that has surplus of parts?

Hell man I'd give it a shot, shipping could take a month though.

Big dark face and non leather band. Would the nighthawk be to your liking Buckethead?

To be honest. I'm thinking of buying the nighthawk. I love automatics but the ease of use and precision of a quartz watch is something I also value. Due to my work I'm wearing a beater (Vostok) during the day. But during the evening it is a relieve not having to wind an automatic and putting on a quartz. I'm currently and happily wearing the Seiko snda65 but I like to mix it up a bit. I'm wondering if anyone over here has one or owned one and can give an impression of the watch.

Big dark face and non leather band. Would the nighthawk be to your liking Buckethead?

To be honest. I'm thinking of buying the nighthawk. I love automatics but the ease of use and precision of a quartz watch is something I also value. Due to my work I'm wearing a beater (Vostok) during the day. But during the evening it is a relieve not having to wind an automatic and putting on a quartz. I'm currently and happily wearing the Seiko snda65 but I like to mix it up a bit. I'm wondering if anyone over here has one or owned one and can give an impression of the watch.

I have that one in black. Looks great, no issues with charging (I am indoors most of the time) and the lume is nice and bright. Might feel a bit heavy at times but I really like it.

Anything functional, vintage, minimalist, and inexpensive. Not looking for a major purchase.

Hey detective,

Shortly:
Is it an ok price, and an ok opportunity? Yep.
Does it have any chance of being a fake? Nope.
Are you buying a relevant piece of history that will earn you the respect of any watch lover? Heu, no :D

Now in details:

SELZA is a bit of a strange company, based in Switzerland, never really broke into mainstream, and mainly known for having provided a few fliegers watches (watches for plane pilots) to the Luftwafe during WWII. Still, at least they have a relevant history, not something you can say about every brands out there, especially at that price point.

Because they never really broke into the 'high end' 'horological relevant' brands, nor into the mainstream, their watches are sold for nearly nothing today. It's a $50 piece :)

Finally the design works for you, and its dimension are perfect (41*35).

So, if you want a cheap watch, that's 1000 times more interesting than a quartz Fossil sold for 4 times more, you have a winner :)

I just want to point out a few issues though:

- It's gold plated, that means that that the layer could very well be damaged and create ugly holes in the case at some point
- the watch is genuine, no question (just because NOBODY does fake selza :D, they do fake Rolexes and fake Panerai, much more profitable :D), but I would not be surprised if some pieces are not original. For instance the movement misses the 'SELZA' engraving usually found on those. It could just be this model, but it could also means that an element was replaced. Here is an example:

$T2eC16FHJGkE9no8fzejBREtY5MyHg~~60_3.JPG

- 2/3 minutes deviation a day is HUGE. In my experience, 2-3 mins a day on an ebay listing means that it will deviate 5-6 minutes a day on your wrist (temperature change, chocs, ...), that means you need to re-set it every day when you wind it. You can be ok with it and just do it everyday, but I refuse to wear a watch that does more than 10-15 sec deviation a day just because I don't want to set it more than once a week, very personal though
- Finally, here you are buying a 'dressy' 'gold' piece from a company known for its rugged, solid black pieces, so not the most iconic model of the brand for sure

Now I could suggest other models, but for that price point they would be similar (unknown brand, no relevant history, and not super accurate :D), but if you are ok to step the budget up you could have a look at Omega, Longines or Girard Perregaux that have a lot of vintage offering in the $300-$500 price range.

Enjoy the hunt, it's half of the fun! :D

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
Just ordered a replacement crown from Citizen for my Eagle 7 that I haven't worn in five or so years because I didn't think I'd be able to find one. Not the fanciest watch, but I'm excited to wear it again, and the fake Rolex my buddy brought me from Afghanistan was making my wrist green.

Main spring, balance wheel, incablocs-looking shock absorber, jewels and all, it does look like the real thing! Congrats!

Now some pics on suit would be great!

(and thanks for putting a bit of activity in this slow thread :D)

pwack

So, did some Black Friday shopping. Looked at Grand Seikos in the steel for the first time, but ultimately went a different direction.

lNMm1nxl.jpg

NuFm8ZBl.jpg

ymZh0rIl.jpg

So, did some Black Friday shopping. Looked at Grand Seikos in the steel for the first time, but ultimately went a different direction.

You sir, have won Black Friday.

Such a great piece, from such a great house.

This and the Speedmaster, you have my eternal respect bro.

(by the way, Grand Seikos and Nomos in the flesh? Where are you exactly? :D)

pwack

(by the way, Grand Seikos and Nomos in the flesh? Where are you exactly? :D)

A place called Timeless luxury Watches, about a half hour outside of downtown Dallas, Texas. The guy who runs the place was super great and v helpful. Interesting line up of watches as well.

http://www.timelessluxwatches.com

Dallas is a great place to watch shop. In addition to Timeless, the local mall has, within 500 feet of each other, a Hublot boutique, an AD for Vacheron, Ulysses Nardin, Breitling, and Rolex, a Cartier store, a Panerai Boutqiue, an Omega boutique, and a Tourbillion store (GO, Jaquet Droz, Blancpain, more).

A place called Timeless luxury Watches, about a half hour outside of downtown Dallas, Texas. The guy who runs the place was super great and v helpful. Interesting line up of watches as well.

http://www.timelessluxwatches.com

Dallas is a great place to watch shop. In addition to Timeless, the local mall has, within 500 feet of each other, a Hublot boutique, an AD for Vacheron, Ulysses Nardin, Breitling, and Rolex, a Cartier store, a Panerai Boutqiue, an Omega boutique, and a Tourbillion store (GO, Jaquet Droz, Blancpain, more).

Well, it's not really like I have the opportunity to go to Dallas every other day, but if I get it only once I'll make sure to stop by them. Great range, and fantastic choice of brands. Thx for sharing, and again, what a fantastic choice, with their zurich world timer it's my favorite steel Nomos for sure. Congrats again!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Figured I'd post here that I'll have a PAM424 available if anyone is interested. Throw me a pm.

went to have a look at the Bell and Ross PR126 Flyback "Blackbird today",
(pictures courtesy of the web)
Bell-Ross-RB-126-Blackbird-2.jpg

bell-ross-br-126-blackbird-automatic-flyback-chronograph-watch-weave-black-rubber-strap.jpg

Can't deny that Bell and Ross manage to speak to the inner boy in me that grew watching the right stuff and reading about golden-age (read suicidal) period of jets.

also so that old Breitling:
7972-2e43fc87aec0c582baeea1e1f76418a2f602bad3.jpg

love that utilirian look

But i'm still more chasing a nice GMT watch that isn't 2893-2 based.
And i join myself to Galatic Sushiman to wish all watch GAF some happy holidays and Merry Christmas!

pwack

Became the sort of person who owns a watch box thanks to a Christmas gift from my family!

So here's what I have: G-Shock; JDM Seiko quartz military watch; Speedy; PAM homage; Seiko diver; old beater Swatch; Nomos.

Happy holidays.

Möbius- the Breitling is awesome!

@Moebius: the Brietling is crazy cool, not too big?
@pwack: you know stuff are getting serious when you get a box! Get some battery for your Gshock :D

I pulled the trigger on a new watch yesterday. Nothing high-end, as I just don't have the budget these days, but a nice affordable nonetheless, will post pics when it arrives :)

@Pwack Well, I just learnt something :D Thx for the action pic, and nice weather!
@moebius: 39mm sounds perfect, with the big casing around the dial it will probably look like a 40-42, which is still fine. Keep us posted :D

Can I get some watch advice?

I'm think about getting a new watch. I'd like it to be analog, with a digital window inset that I can set to military time, as well as set alarms, etc.

Here are two examples of what I like aesthetically.

MTM Special Ops Black Air Stryk. This is about the "busiest" I'd like it to be. I've seen some G-Shock watches that look similar, but, IDK, the G-Shocks like kinda like shit to me. The MTM is way out of my price range.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the Seiko Military automatic. I love the look of this watch, but it's more basic then I want too.

Anything you guys can recommend I look at? My tentative price range is about $300, but I'd look at anything under $600.

So it could be a Sarb065, but that seems a little commonplace compared to you GO and AP. So maybe it's a hideous vintage ladies cocktail watch?

Your first hunch was the right one, I've been drawn to this particular model for a long time and just wanted a fun/retro/colorful watch to complement the gorgeous Paul Smith cufflinks miss Sushiman got me for Christmas :) (yeah, I am bit into the 50s/60s look these days...)

I am sorry it's a bit 'commonplace' though :D I'll try to do better on the next (which should be a high-end diver if I do not change my mind).

Can I get some watch advice?

I'm think about getting a new watch. I'd like it to be analog, with a digital window inset that I can set to military time, as well as set alarms, etc.

Here are two examples of what I like aesthetically.

MTM Special Ops Black Air Stryk. This is about the "busiest" I'd like it to be. I've seen some G-Shock watches that look similar, but, IDK, the G-Shocks like kinda like shit to me. The MTM is way out of my price range.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the Seiko Military automatic. I love the look of this watch, but it's more basic then I want too.

Anything you guys can recommend I look at? My tentative price range is about $300, but I'd look at anything under $600.

We need a bit more info on the context/use to help you, is it a watch for everyday use at the office? etc. Also, a style (dress, sport, diver...) would help too :)

Top Bottom