• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Check out 'GMT' and '24h' watches.

Afaik the first is a term for watches that have an extra indicator for a second timezone. This timezone is shown in 24h. You can also use it for your local timezone and use it to show both 12h and 24h time at the same time.
71zjB4M-WpL._SL1500_.jpg

The second is a bonafide 24h watch with a 24h dial. Some show the 24 at the top. Some at the bottom.

maeh2k

Are automatics always in that high of a price range?

Not generally. Automatics from brands like Seiko and Orient are really cheap. You can get an automatic Seiko for $70 (see Seiko SNK807). Now even Swatch offers a cheap automatic watch with the Sistem51.
Automatics with swiss movements seem to start at $300-400 (e.g. the watch I have Aristo U-Boot), but most are most expensive. They tend to be in the $500-1000 range with the same movement. Of course, with actual high-end watches the sky's the limit.

Are automatics always in that high of a price range? Also, the Victorinox I pictured- any comments on the brand/model of watch?

Thanks again. I'm already learning a lot in this thread.

I'm not a watch expert like some in here hit I have a Victorinox automatic watch and l love it to bits.

i have a "gold" party in two weeks with the office, what would be the best cheap buy to go there:
i'm torn on dropping 100 EUR on a gold plated Seiko 5:
SNXL72K.jpg

or get a gold plated Casio and have a complete hipster in a suit look:
casio-digital-gold-plated-vintage-chronograph-watch-a159w-a159wgea-1-.jpg

i have a "gold" party in two weeks with the office, what would be the best cheap buy to go there:
i'm torn on dropping 100 EUR on a gold plated Seiko 5:
or get a gold plated Casio and have a complete hipster in a suit look:
]

Who does gold parties in the office? :D

If you want to go a bling-hipster the Casio is great, but if you want something a tiny bit less blingy this is fantastic (a friend has it as a beater, and it remains classy despite the goldish):

pwack

Here's my current idée fixe:

I know the shortcomings here -- a Miyota movement, a mineral crystal, the size, the name dropping of zurich on a non-swiss watch. But nonetheless, I kinda love how it looks. I'm never gonna get a urwerk or any similar haute horlogerie, but this has some of the feel at a fraction of the price.

Here's my current idée fixe:

I know the shortcomings here -- a Miyota movement, a mineral crystal, the size, the name dropping of zurich on a non-swiss watch. But nonetheless, I kinda love how it looks. I'm never gonna get a urwerk or any similar haute horlogerie, but this has some of the feel at a fraction of the price.

I am supposed to remind you "nothing before May", that said I cannot criticize your rational: the watch has shortcomings but for super original affordable mechanical that's not "too much", this is quite perfect. ;)

pwack

I am supposed to remind you "nothing before May", that said I cannot criticize your rational: the watch has shortcomings but for super original affordable mechanical that's not "too much", this is quite perfect. ;)

I appreciate the input and the reminder. I wouldn't pick this guy up for a while, and it's definitely something I'd want to try on and think about. Luckily, the guy in Texas who sold me my Nomos, who I'm sure to visit this summer, carries these as well.

I went ahead and printed out the scale model available on Sevenfriday's website. Here's the watch in the nicest 20# paper I have in the house.

There's no doubt it's large, but I like it. And the lack of lugs makes it pretty wearable!

elfinke

Connoisseurs of things that tic and/or toc, how does this list tickle your fancy? It was re-published in an Australian online paper, but I understand the original source is here.

SMH and DMARGE - Ten best watches under AU$600/US$500 said:
These are ten of the best looking, and totally affordable, watches of 2014 – all of which I’d be happy to call my own. For best results, wear these watches with a nice suit or smart-casual attire, not to the gym

I think I could quite merrily wear almost any of those on my wrist (I don't love the Magrette or the Sekonda, and I just can't reconcile gold/rose gold on a youthful arm), if I could ever make a decision about such things! Even if money was no object (in fact, without money as a barrier to entry it'd probably make the decision even more difficult) I'd struggle to pick out a watch I would want to wear.

That sevenfriday P1-3 (the slightly garish orange one) is great. As usual, finding one in Australia is nigh on impossible. Just read this review about them, they're gorgeous in a very particular way. Damn.

-Setsuna-

Connoisseurs of things that tic and/or toc, how does this list tickle your fancy? It was re-published in an Australian online paper, but I understand the original source is here.
IMO, there are far better choices in this price range.

Tissot: Couturier Small Second, LeLocle, Visodate, Automatics III, Carson...
Seiko: SARB021, 023, 065, 066, 017, 071, SBDC001, SARX019, SARG005...
Orient: WZ0021DD, WZ0041DJ, WZ0031DE, WZ0011DV, DJ02003W...

pwack

I'd agree. The only thing that seems reasonably priced is the Magrette (which is probably because it is made in New Zeland).

The Citizen on mesh looks nice but that price is high! Is that MSRP or crazy inflated Australia pricing? I think its street price in the US is ~$200 USD.

StMeph

Why are Omegas more expensive nowadays?

:(

Owners have been pushing Omega to increasingly modify the ETA movements used to make them more like an in-house movement and to improve their residual values. Both of these things cause them to raise prices, both because of the added work, and to raise their profile in trying to compete directly with Rolex.

Excellent list, I would add the 'new' Obris Morgan, great casing work for a really good price.

Why are Omegas more expensive nowadays?

:(

Did you think about going vintage? Omega has such great deals for 60s-70s watches...

Just because it reminds me, a new Speedmaster Mark II reedition just announced, absolutely gorgeous...

Great list. I saw the green quartz Seiko and immediately thought of the Sarb017 Alpinist. For a quartz watch it is quite expensive as similar models like the SNDA65 are/were much cheaper.

Owners have been pushing Omega to increasingly modify the ETA movements used to make them more like an in-house movement and to improve their residual values. Both of these things cause them to raise prices, both because of the added work, and to raise their profile in trying to compete directly with Rolex.

Oh, phooey.

What are you looking for? Used or retail? Remember MSRP is for people who don't do their homework.

Retail, as I'd like to buy a new watch to last me for a while.

Did you think about going vintage? Omega has such great deals for 60s-70s watches...

Just because it reminds me, a new Speedmaster Mark II reedition just announced, absolutely gorgeous...

Not really a fan of vintage.

pwack

Retail, as I'd like to buy a new watch to last me for a while.

Last May, I purchased a Speedmaster from a known and very reputable seller (Kringkily, you can google him) for ~50% of MSRP. The watch was very lightly used; in fact, it still had protective plastic on the clasp. The watch itself was manufactured in 2009, and the AD stamp was from late 2009/early 2010 (can't recall right now). I don't think this history will materially detract from its expected lifetime, and I saved a lot of money. Pics are in this thread starting around post 2450.

If you really do want new, you should be able to easily find grey market for 25% off MSRP (at least for Speedmasters; not sure about POs), or find an AD who is willing to do something similar with a little asking around.

elfinke

Excellent list, I would add the 'new' Obris Morgan, great casing work for a really good price.

Aha, these are the kinds of responses I was hoping to elicit from this crowd! After my morning meetings wrap up I'll have to have a bit of a google of your suggestions and see how they compare.

I'd agree. The only thing that seems reasonably priced is the Magrette (which is probably because it is made in New Zeland).

The Citizen on mesh looks nice but that price is high! Is that MSRP or crazy inflated Australia pricing? I think its street price in the US is ~$200 USD.

I believe the article was predicated on MSRP/RRP. I'm certain with a little hunting around the street price on something like that Citizen (given it isn't necessarily a highly exclusive or boutique name) would be similar to the US one.

Antagon

Does anyone know of any stores that sell either US or Asian Citizen Nighthawks and ship to the EU? The stuff I find is mostly on Ebay and those all seem to be grey market goods. I'd rather have something with warrantee, but it seems hard to find.

pwack

Does anyone know of any stores that sell either US or Asian Citizen Nighthawks and ship to the EU? The stuff I find is mostly on Ebay and those all seem to be grey market goods. I'd rather have something with warrantee, but it seems hard to find.

I'd email this guy and ask: http://www.c-watch.co.jp/ww/vo10.html

Nighthawks aren't listed on his website, but he's been able to special order other watches when I've inquired in the past.

I would not stress out over warranty. It's Citizen, like Seiko and other affordable brands, even when you buy from an AD sometime you do not get your booklet stamped, but it does not mean you will not get your watch taken care of at all.

Here is a post from WUS which explains how this works :)

Antagon

I've definitely read contrasting stories. Amd I can't find anything I trust that ships to the EU. Anyway, got my eyes on another piece that will be just a bit more expensive, is automatic and looks beautiful: the laco pilot type B. Seems to be more flexible as well. Now just to decide if I get the 36 or 42mm. In the pics online the 42 seems rather large for a lot of people, but a larger watch fits a flieger style well I guess.

dsc03983qg.jpg

I've definitely read contrasting stories. Amd I can't find anything I trust that ships to the EU. Anyway, got my eyes on another piece that will be just a bit more expensive, is automatic and looks beautiful: the laco pilot type B. Seems to be more flexible as well. Now just to decide if I get the 36 or 42mm. In the pics online the 42 seems rather large for a lot of people, but a larger watch fits a flieger style well I guess.

dsc03983qg.jpg

If you think a Nighthawk would suit you, I'd say the 42mm Laco. The face will make it look larger but imo 42 is fine for small wristed people.

Good choice on the Laco by the way. I've always preferred the more authentic looking case to similar models from Steinhart or even IWC. Their cases look generic in comparison. And to think that, like Laco, IWC was one of the original manufacturers who made pilot watches for the German airforce.

Antagon

If you think a Nighthawk would suit you, I'd say the 42mm Laco. The face will make it look larger but imo 42 is fine for small wristed people.

Good choice on the Laco by the way. I've always preferred the more authentic looking case to similar models from Steinhart or even IWC. Their cases look generic in comparison. And to think that, like Laco, IWC was one of the original manufacturers who made pilot watches for the German airforce.

The cheaper Laco cases don't seem to be all that authentic either though. I'm actually still trying to decide between the Laco and Steinhart, since I prefer the dial of the Steinhart and those seem to be better value, with the ETA movement and anti reflective crystal. But the Laco Aachen does have a somewhat nicer case, especially the thinner bezel. Pretty tough call.

Laco:
WH2K6558.jpg

Steinhart:
Steinhart_Nav_b_Uhr_Whole11.jpg

The cheaper Laco cases don't seem to be all that authentic either though. I'm actually still trying to decide between the Laco and Steinhart, since I prefer the dial of the Steinhart and those seem to be better value, with the ETA movement and anti reflective crystal. But the Laco Aachen does have a somewhat nicer case, especially the thinner bezel. Pretty tough call.

Laco:

Steinhart:

I've seen both the Laco and Steinhart in the flesh, and as always with Pilots, I do prefer their black bezel version (ion plated I believe) to the SS bezel look. Much more modern looking, and balanced (but that's a matter of taste at this point I imagine).

I think that between those brands you won't find much difference in quality. It all comes down to personal taste. I've thought of buying a uhr b. In the end I've come to the conclusion that the style is a but too plain for me. But I also couln't decide which brand to choose.

Antagon

I've seen both the Laco and Steinhart in the flesh, and as always with Pilots, I do prefer their black bezel version (ion plated I believe) to the SS bezel look. Much more modern looking, and balanced (but that's a matter of taste at this point I imagine).

That's a Stowa I guess? Stunning watch. I'm affraid that I'm going to scratch a black watch pretty badly though, especially since I'm not a collector and it's going to get daily wear.

Anyway, just noticed that the Aachen has a matte finish. That seals the deal for me, fits a utalitarian watch like this far better then a polished case.

Well, it just got a contender:

A slightly cheaper Tissot, but missing a lot of the Citizen features. The dial is a tad smaller though, which is a plus. Otherwise I have to see both side to side to decide which looks better.

Edit: Loving this Citizen as well:

I think I'm going to check some more stores before deciding.

Those citizens are clean. I may have to look into one of those.

That's a Stowa I guess? Stunning watch. I'm affraid that I'm going to scratch a black watch pretty badly though, especially since I'm not a collector and it's going to get daily wear.

Anyway, just noticed that the Aachen has a matte finish. That seals the deal for me, fits a utalitarian watch like this far better then a polished case.

Nope, it's a Laco from their store, but with a black bezel, which I just prefer :)

Antagon

Nope, it's a Laco from their store, but with a black bezel, which I just prefer :)

Yeah, I was thrown off by the lack of a brand on the bezel but high end Laco's don't have that either. I wish that type of case and dial was available at a lower price point, but alas, people pay a big premium for that I guess.

Edit:eek:r not. Just ran into a Laco observer online, with an Eta 2842-2 movement and the more classic case. It also has a date window, but that seems well integrated so that's fine.

$_84.JPG

-Setsuna-

The Citizen Nighthawk wasn't a bad choice, though. I had one of these for a while (a BJ7010-16F, bought from Creationwatches) and really liked it. Also, you shouldn't worry too much about the warranty, since Eco-Drive is certainly one of the best and most reliable technologies out there.

I had only two gripes with this model: its size (I prefer 37 to 40mm cases), and the tiny, recessed date wheel.

pwack

Got a strap from sectime to replace the meh strap that came with the Parnis. I personally think it has changed the look for the better.

And had some fun with camera+ :p

I like the strap a lot -- looks really good, and the chunkiness makes your rather large watch look nicely proportioned. Well done!!

torontoml

So I have seen quite a few people here have a G-Shock watch. There appear to be a lot of different models, is there a difference in build quality or anything, or is it just the features available?

For example I like the look of this one, any reason why I shouldn't?

AW-591MS-1AER

So I have seen quite a few people here have a G-Shock watch. There appear to be a lot of different models, is there a difference in build quality or anything, or is it just the features available?

For example I like the look of this one, any reason why I shouldn't?

AW-591MS-1AER

Nope, it's a cool looking watch with a nice nylon band which works perfectly in this case.

For $90 on amazon it's a great piece, the only issue I could foresee would be size if you are a really big/tall guy, in which case the 40mm case may not be to your liking. Other than that I don't see any problem. It's a G-Shock, so a good watch for its price, the rest (color, strap...) is a matter of taste.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Nope, it's a cool looking watch with a nice nylon band which works perfectly in this case.

For $90 on amazon it's a great piece, the only issue I could foresee would be size if you are a really big/tall guy, in which case the 40mm case may not be to your liking. Other than that I don't see any problem. It's a G-Shock, so a good watch for its price, the rest (color, strap...) is a matter of taste.

I'd say 40mm is a perfect size, now I'm interested :D

My heart has been stolen by this beauty <3
]

Have you seen one in the flesh? I am always super disappointed by Chopard IRL (except for the LUC series).

I'd say 40mm is a perfect size, now I'm interested :D

Oh yes it is! But in the specific case you have huge wrists, it can sit a bit awkwardly on your arm to some people taste...

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I am with Pwack, the balance is much better, and it fits perfectly, bravo!

Top Bottom