• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Album of the Year 2015 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
KL at 1 is a given, but most of the rest has GAF all over it. Its interesting seeing a pattern emerge.

Eh, I think calling it the best album of the decade is a stretch due to the fact that not everyone likes rap, but at least you tried. I think Carrie And Lowell is not far behind; that album is absolutely perfect for me. It's the album I've always wanted him to make.

YES! Carrie & Lowell is so beautiful, I'm not sure I like it better than Illinois but it feels like such a comeback. Not that the post Illinois albums were bad, far from it, but C&L feels like an affirmation, a victory lap or simply just the quite possibly most talented guy making music today at the top of his game.

And yet I think TPAB is the best album this year. Sadly as it is, it's brilliance makes Sufjan's latest to become sort of underrated, like an also–ran of sorts. Perhaps that's fitting to the mood of the music somehow, like a dimly lit room in an age where everyone's obsessed with the lights. And I just realized Sufjan is Kanye's polar opposite.

RDreamer

I really want to understand the love for To Pimp a Butterfly. I've tried on at least 4 separate occasions to listen to it and turned it off due to boredom in all of them after like 6 songs.

Also Jesus that Tame Impala album is boring as shit. Don't understand that one either.

Dicer

Banned
Between 3 and 6 so far, you all,are some down and depressed motherfuckers, or so it seems...

Some low key mellow depressive stuff, at least at a quick listen.

Anyway, enough musical discovery for now, but Kendrick is better that initally thought, so good work GAF.

Cheer up,lol

Steamlord

Heh, no surprises on the first two. And I definitely can't object to TPaB getting the top spot even if it wasn't my personal #1. I mean, it was still in my top 10. Shame Timbre didn't get any exposure though, Sun and Moon is incredible.

Julia Holter rightfully in the top 10, hell yeah. And I'm totally OK with Carly being in the top 15 because I've been bumping that album pretty consistently since it came out. And Thank Your Lucky Stars beat out Depression Cherry, as it should have.

Reasonably solid list, really, even if there are a few here and there that aren't my taste (which is a good thing). Julien Baker and Hop Along are probably the most glaring omissions.

Still think it's a shame that more people didn't vote though. These lists can always use more variety.

Dicer

Banned
Heh, no surprises on the first two. And I definitely can't object to TPaB getting the top spot even if it wasn't my personal #1. I mean, it was still in my top 10. Shame Timbre didn't get any exposure though, Sun and Moon is incredible.

Julia Holter rightfully in the top 10, hell yeah. And I'm totally OK with Carly being in the top 15 because I've been bumping that album pretty consistently since it came out. And Thank Your Lucky Stars beat out Depression Cherry, as it should have.

Reasonably solid list, really, even if there are a few here and there that aren't my taste (which is a good thing). Julien Baker and Hop Along are probably the most glaring omissions.

Still think it's a shame that more people didn't vote though. These lists can always use more variety.

I would have voted, but I wouldn't have made the list with anything aside form Bjork, which made the list...really kinda shocked to not see The Prodigy, seems the hype here was decent, and it was a great return to form, but alas...

Thewonandonly

Then do tell me what the point is, and maybe a better jumping off point?

Anyway Grimes time...

Way old shit, talking de la/dmc/slick rick, newer shit like dre and em, public enemy (n word used with purpose is ok) even some shite boys like beasties and 3rd base, redman, wu was fun live... I really kinda fell off though, plenty of other stuff to listen too
Bro Kendrick a hundred percent has a meaning to it. Listen to the album version of I and he does a freestyle about why he says it.

injurai

Banned
Can't say I'm surprised by these results. From these results I can say I thoroughly enjoyed the following.

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly (188 pts)
7. Jamie xx - In Colour (48 pts)
8. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness (41 pts)
11. Vince Staples - Summertime 06 (28 pts)
24. Kamasi Washington - The Epic (18 pts)
30. Floating Points - Elaenia (15 pts)
43. Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful (10 pts)

2015 was a fantastic year in music, but I found it's critically acclaimed albums to be one of the worst lots in recent years.

Thewonandonly

listen to this one too

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled 1

I really enjoyed Sufjan's album and the sound really fits the tone of the album as it's him expressing his strained relationship with his recently passed mother.
Damn man this was beautifully. Mabye it's just cause I, really high right now ;) but I feel like Kendrick can be seen as one of the greater artist in any genre kind, cause that was something incredible.

I really want to understand the love for To Pimp a Butterfly. I've tried on at least 4 separate occasions to listen to it and turned it off due to boredom in all of them after like 6 songs.

Also Jesus that Tame Impala album is boring as shit. Don't understand that one either.
What did you find boring about TPAB? I know that is not your type of music based on your lists so I am curious as to what you thought.

HiResDes

What did you find boring about TPAB? I know that is not your type of music based on your lists so I am curious as to what you thought.

Doesn't he post like all metal lists, expand them horizons already. I don't understand the Grimes love, I mean it's fun, but kinda grating in spots too.

Floridian

I guess you didn't count some lists? : /
Oh well.

Only did a top 50 album list. Albums that aren't listed were either too low on scoring or not mentioned enough for them to be appropriately represented. It's sort of a popularity thing in a way.

Unsurprising #1, its well deserved. For some reason, I just recently realized that Jamie xx made a new album last year. I guess I got to get around to listening to the new Grimes album, none of the singles did anything for me though.

Ekai

Only did a top 50 album list. Albums that aren't listed were either too low on scoring or not mentioned enough for them to be appropriately represented. It's sort of a popularity thing in a way.

I was just thinking in terms of introducing people to newer music. It'd be interesting to see a fuller list that encompasses the votes. But eh.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Never really liked Kendrick too much. Didn't like TPAB either. Nice to see T&Y get up there. Best album of 2015 for me was probably Midnight Snack by Homeshake.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just listened to Art Angels. Honestly much better than what I was expecting, it actually blew me away, I think it's my favourite album of last year.

Favourite song on the album is Artangels :)

Touchdown

Banned
Where's #1 To Infinity on here?

ee9030b89c.jpg

K.Sabot

#1 would have been on my list had they found a way to nix the skits and keep the album theme. Just wayyy too much stuff I don't find musically stimulating between tracks.

hidys

Pretty good top 10 but I was pretty disappointed by the CHVRCHES album.

It was no where near as good as their debut.

Laieon

The lack of this masterpiece on the list saddens me.

np205EZ.jpg

I'm the "not a fan of TPAB" camp. I've tried listening to Kendrick Lamar multiple times now, he does nothing for me.

My personal favorite hip-hop album of 2016 was Logic's "The Incredible True Story".

Pndomo

Banned
The lack of this masterpiece on the list saddens me.

np205EZ.jpg

I'm the "not a fan of TPAB" camp. I've tried listening to Kendrick Lamar multiple times now, he does nothing for me.

My personal favorite hip-hop album of 2016 was Logic's "The Incredible True Story".

Howling.

King Kendrick 👑

Boo at churches(inoffensive entry synthpop with a vocalist who can't project), grimes(went from interesting pop to boring pop) and tame impala(worst album of theirs imo) making the top 10 although I didn't even vote lol

Was courtney's album really that we'll received? I enjoyed it but didn't realize do many people considered it a top 5 of the year

edit: where's beach house you Gaf fucks :/

They released 2 albums and both were great smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom