• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Fusebox

Banned
http://www.roland.com/aira/

img_detail008.png

If I had a TR8 and a TB3 I'd be the sickest house producer of 1995 lol but I'm having trouble getting hyped in 2014. TB sound is just played, TR has potential still coz the live workflow is superb but you can't load your own samples and can't save patterns. The System-1 is the only one that kind of interests me and that'll live or die on the strength of its modelling and how well Roland can model their old products, although I don't see how they're gonna do a decent Juno recreation when the System-1 only has a shitty 4 voice polyphony.

Still, the VT looks like fun lol...

alright, so guys at my music tech class they taught protools

unfortunately, I am not only on a windows computer, but also my brother told me it's essentially trash.

are there any windows programs that are similar to pro - tools?

Not sure I understand, Pro Tools does work on Windows and you've already been taught Pro Tools so can't you decide if it's trash or not for your use? What is about Pro Tools that makes you want something similar to it, and what is it about Pro Tools that you want to avoid?

I mean, I could just blurt out random DAW recommendations but that'd be useless if I didn't know what kind of workflow you were trying to achieve.

magundah14

Neo Member
I'll preface this by saying I'm not into this kind of music at all.

But holy shit man, nice work, especially on Drone. I didn't like the other track as much, it felt a bit busy for my tastes. But either way, solid production on both. I also like your use of guitars.

I've heard far, far worse things in the Beatport top ten.

Gonna listen to drone again.

the first track is a genre called "glitch hop", which is based on quickly changing sounds and rhythmic impulsion, so I get that it can be too hectic for some people's taste.

lil smoke

Banned
If that AIRA can do those old Roland Juno style hybrid strings, those sweet ass chorus 80s saw synth fuzzy sustained goodnesseses...

let my ass know.

Fusebox

Banned
If that AIRA can do those old Roland Juno style hybrid strings, those sweet ass chorus 80s saw synth fuzzy sustained goodnesseses...

let my ass know.

Well unless I've horribly misread something the System-1 is definitely capable of hosting a Juno or Jupiter plugin, but is limited to only 4 voice polyphony, and a 4 voice Juno or Jupiter just wouldn't be the same. Seems like crazy low polyphony though so hopefully I'm misinterpreting the spec sheet.

lil smoke

Banned
I can do a lot with the new TAL UNO, but its just a synth emulation, it can't do those brass hybrid classic Roland sounds. As far as I know, those sounds you can't get unless you jet have one of the old HW modules... which have their issues as far as connecting up. I mean I aint trying to go that far to get that sound, but I get it is nearly impossible for a VST to do it.

I'm terrible at mixing and mastering, I'm pretty terrible at music production and I keep making some form of terribad edm despite having read enough of classical musical theory that I could probably write way better. I think ableton is the best D.A.W I've used so far though, I find the workflow to be amazeballs if you like listening to shit on loops and iterating the only issue I have is the lack of scroll wheel zoom. Also all of my production skills have been stolen from youtube tutorials and I probably missed half of the point of those ;(

I want to learn how to mix and master and reverb and whatever so my shit doesn't sound like mid-rangey amateur nonsense but I honestly have no clue what I'm doing and I don't feel like buying more vst's I barely understand to help me out. Also my two most recent uploads are unfinished because I can't use headphones to monitor anymore and the only other speakers I have are a set of Logitech Z-5500's with fixed crossover and dolby pro logic nonsense.

Here's my stuff: www.soundcloud.com/yesplznothx

Don't like most of your stuff. They sound too dull. And it's not just because of the master, but also the choice of synth sounds.
Left a few comments.

Your comments made me feel bad about my stuff :( I'm trying to work on my sound design - comments like weak! oh god don't really help me though. Actually I'm trying to work on everything I enjoy feedback though although my soundcloud page looks worse now with the only comments being bad ones :( Also as I stated previously I don't know anything about mixing and mastering so I can't even defend that at all.

lil smoke

Banned
I'm terrible at mixing and mastering, I'm pretty terrible at music production and I keep making some form of terribad edm despite having read enough of classical musical theory that I could probably write way better. I think ableton is the best D.A.W I've used so far though, I find the workflow to be amazeballs if you like listening to shit on loops and iterating the only issue I have is the lack of scroll wheel zoom. Also all of my production skills have been stolen from youtube tutorials and I probably missed half of the point of those ;(

I want to learn how to mix and master and reverb and whatever so my shit doesn't sound like mid-rangey amateur nonsense but I honestly have no clue what I'm doing and I don't feel like buying more vst's I barely understand to help me out. Also my two most recent uploads are unfinished because I can't use headphones to monitor anymore and the only other speakers I have are a set of Logitech Z-5500's with fixed crossover and dolby pro logic nonsense.

Here's my stuff: www.soundcloud.com/yesplznothx
IMO it is really good stuff ATM. But I like cheesy synths, others might not agree. I think you are getting your views across and to me that is what counts. Translation.

edit: and you take sonic risks, which imo takes balls and make out something interesting to hear than these sheep out here. Please do not cow tow to talentless fake ass sheep, do what you do.

Fusebox

Banned
Your comments made me feel bad about my stuff :( I'm trying to work on my sound design - comments like weak! oh god don't really help me though. Actually I'm trying to work on everything I enjoy feedback though although my soundcloud page looks worse now with the only comments being bad ones :( Also as I stated previously I don't know anything about mixing and mastering so I can't even defend that at all.

Just ignore that noise man, it doesn't matter what some unhelpful cunt writes on your soundcloud so long as you keep trying to make the music you hear in your head.

He does that on everyone's soundcloud. It's not terribly constructive.

magundah14

Neo Member

Don't post tracks you find unfinished or not as good as they could be.
Post them as private songs, share the track on forums like here, ask for feedback, change what needs to be changed and THEN publicly post it on soundcloud.
Otherwise, it will be disappointing for the listener AND you.

Also, comments are just opinions. They're not official reviews. You don't have to take them so seriously :)

next ultra pro tip:
If you're making a rock/metal track and want the rhythmic guitar ultra wide whilst keeping it's punch:

- record it multiple times
- slightly change the sound (distortion amount, eq, amp, ...)
- spread them over the stereo specter

This gives you the best results. Bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, etc use exactly that technique and record the same guitar track up to 8 times!

You can hear the effect on this track:
https://soundcloud.com/azure-worm/bolts-of-revenge
(rhythmic guitar recorded 2 times)

Duplicating the guitar and and changing the sound or using stereo tools gives you different results, which may result in losing power or creating weird phase effects.

I got a Slim Phatty. Super happy with it so far. It's not a complex architecture, but after listening to Moog demos for years and playing the things I've come to the conclusion that it's the best thing modern Moog have done, and the closest they've come to the Model D (shame about the Voyager).

I think it might be my favourite sound source that I own, including the modular stuff (the MacBeth is great though, don't get me wrong) and I can see myself using this a lot going forward.

neos

this isn't really music production related but i thought i'd ask here anyway. i need to make some pre-recorded speaking vocals sound like they're behind a metal helmet, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e329dFLZFjU

how would you approach this?

I should give it a try, but i think cutting off the lower frequencies, adding some distortion\overdrive and maybe a very short reverb will do the work. Probably there is some VST out there that can do such things with a couple of clicks.

this isn't really music production related but i thought i'd ask here anyway. i need to make some pre-recorded speaking vocals sound like they're behind a metal helmet, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e329dFLZFjU

how would you approach this?

I remember watching the sound design feature for Prometheus and they used impulse responses for treating the vocals inside the helmets.

I'm not sure how much technical knowledge you have, but basically you would want an impulse response of a small enclosed space, to represent the helmet, load that into a convulsion reverb, then run the vocals through that.

With some Googling, you should be able to find a free convolution reverb unit. And there are tons of sites that provide all manner of impulse responses of different spaces.

Fusebox

Banned
Here's my latest tune, kind of a prog house triplets thing based around a crazy formant-sounding patch I made with the Virus, and there's a splash of Izotopes new Breaktweaker in the percussion too. I called it dj delightful coz thats what it sort of sounds like the synth is saying at the start.

https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/dj-delightful

I got a Slim Phatty. Super happy with it so far. It's not a complex architecture, but after listening to Moog demos for years and playing the things I've come to the conclusion that it's the best thing modern Moog have done, and the closest they've come to the Model D (shame about the Voyager).

I think it might be my favourite sound source that I own, including the modular stuff (the MacBeth is great though, don't get me wrong) and I can see myself using this a lot going forward.

Did you consider the Sub 37? I haven't played one yet but I dig the knob layout and it sounds terrific in demos.

I remember watching the sound design feature for Prometheus and they used impulse responses for treating the vocals inside the helmets.

I'm not sure how much technical knowledge you have, but basically you would want an impulse response of a small enclosed space, to represent the helmet, load that into a convulsion reverb, then run the vocals through that.

With some Googling, you should be able to find a free convolution reverb unit. And there are tons of sites that provide all manner of impulse responses of different spaces.

yeah apparently dry ice and metal is used as ir's for helmets. logic pro's space designer has/is a convolution reverb unit, right?

I wanted to comment on some tracks since I find that honest feedback on the internet might not be the most plentiful resource in the world. I also wanted to put in sligthly more effort than a one liner on soundcloud. Allow me to preface my feedback by saying I'm an absolute beginner at producing/mixing/mastering and you're all undoubtably a million times better than I am. If you don't agree with anything I say because you're 100% sure you want it to sound that way completely disregard any comment I make.
Here's my latest tune, kind of a prog house triplets thing based around a crazy formant-sounding patch I made with the Virus, and there's a splash of Izotopes new Breaktweaker in the percussion too. I called it dj delightful coz thats what it sort of sounds like the synth is saying at the start.
https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/dj-delightful
I just want to say this patch sound awesome, I also hear DJ Delightful, or EA Is Waifu or a number of other things. When the bass comes in it sounds really thick and juicy and I think your kick/snare cut through really well. (I'm not a scientist on this subject though). I found it getting slightly repetitive eventually, I wish I knew why because you obviously added stuff to diversify the groove. I found some of the effects sounded slightly unconnected to the proceedings though. I'd listen again though - not instantly permanently playlisted for me but I can jive with it :)

Need some feedback on both of these tracks:
https://soundcloud.com/azure-worm/lets-go-to-funnyland/s-ci2W2
https://soundcloud.com/azure-worm/drone/s-NG8Ta

I'm sending them as demos to labels. I can still change things up, so any help would really be appreciated.
Let's hope this works out :)
Best wishes, as for comments. I love, and don't take this lightly when I say love, the intro to welcome to funnyland. The guitar, the groove, the whoop fucking love the hell out of it. Unfortunately it turns into a mild dislike at the 21 second mark - I'll attempt to justify why though. I think it becomes really busy, almost like two or three songs get mashed together, you've got the callbacks to the intro with that very chilled rocky feel juxtaposed with this glitchy bassline and a lead that sounds like it's straight out of a videogame. It's original as hell though, I have to give it that. I also really like the outro - you obviously don't need my help on the mixing/mastering front because it sounds really good for what it is. Also if you ever make one song out of the chilled rocky intro send me a pm because I'd pay you a dollar for it.

I think the intro to Drone sounds straight up scary, in fact the entire track sounds massive. I like it a lot, honestly. Everything from 3:24 onward is the highlight for me though. You have a really interesting style, it's almost like musical ADD, there's so much going on that's good, I just don't know if I want to listen to it all in one track.

Yo dis my new jam y'all should be trippin out to dis weekend because uh it's pretty weird I guess

Let me know what you think. This was a tough one to deal with.
This is awesome yet if I was to try and describe it I'd fucking fail so badly. This is like the result of a pokemon jazz experiment conducted by a marching band backed up by a funk drummer coked up on the finest crack cocaine broadcasted into space to be picked up by a roaming satellite with faulty electronics where it gets mixed with comms from houston and the auditory musings of a drunk jazz pianist. I like it a lot but I also smoke a lot of pot so those two things might be related in some fashion.

This is my latest beat, standard trap/hiphop with a little vocal sample chopped in
Thoughts? Tear it apart, especially the mixing/mastering
https://soundcloud.com/flightmuzik/high

It's loud as hell so you're like halfway there, unfortunately it's also distorting slightly. It sounds like what you described it as, it's really competent trap music. It sounds really sharp to my ears though. I'm not 100% into it and I tend to really like trap, it's feeling slightly too sparse currently, although if it's meant to be an instrumental for a rapper that's not always bad.

I know I missed some links but I didn't want to go back the entire thread. so if you made something and you want my terribad critique/feedback thing just let me know. Via pm or in this thread is fine.

Also here's the latest thing I made if anyone wants to listen. I think I failed at mixing/mastering again(even on a basic volume levels front), I'm so hopelessly clueless on how to even start. Also every tutorial on the subject whips out like 50 random ass plugins I don't own. It's pretty short, I got hit with the, I don't know if this is fucking crap or decent feeling so I stopped. It sort of fits the track though.
https://soundcloud.com/yesplznothx/it-begins-here-now

yeah apparently dry ice and metal is used as ir's for helmets. logic pro's space designer has/is a convolution reverb unit, right?

As far as I know, yes. I've never used Logic though, so can't comment further I'm afraid. But good luck, I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with it. I'm pretty interested in sound design myself.

Fusebox

Banned
Thx for your comments FD, it does get repetitive, it's a fatiguing patch to listen to and I'll have to do some heavy editing so the tune gets to the hook earlier and finishes stronger. I'll listen to your tune later, don't have headphones with me atm.

I'm curious about how they'd capture an IR of dry ice.

http://www.roland.com/aira/

img_detail008.png

If I had a TR8 and a TB3 I'd be the sickest house producer of 1995 lol but I'm having trouble getting hyped in 2014. TB sound is just played, TR has potential still coz the live workflow is superb but you can't load your own samples and can't save patterns. The System-1 is the only one that kind of interests me and that'll live or die on the strength of its modelling and how well Roland can model their old products, although I don't see how they're gonna do a decent Juno recreation when the System-1 only has a shitty 4 voice polyphony.

Still, the VT looks like fun lol....

So sexy...and for the price, that TR-8 is a pretty great deal. A lot of home studios are going to finally have easy access to this hardware, which as a fan, is exciting.

I'm with you on the System 1, though.

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah I've come around on the TB-3 and TR-8 now. While I still don't think I'd use them for production, I would love to just hook them together, crack open a beer and make live acid for hours on end. For under a grand for the pair they'd be seriously entertaining.

magundah14

Neo Member
Just saw this amazing documentary about music making. It's got Flying Lotus, James Murphy, Brian Eno and ton of others in it. Thought it was worth sharing.

What Difference Does It Make: A Film About Making Music

Seems interesting. Gonna watch it tonight :)

Thanks for the feedback.

About your track:
Master is alright. Would've liked to hear a second part, where a more pronounced drum kit would kick in.
Also, try experimenting a bit with the reverb on certain sounds to create a bit more variety.

Posting this song today or tomorrow.
https://soundcloud.com/azure-worm/cock/s-WXqpr
Any feedback before making it public?

Damn smoke, so much good info

This is my latest beat, standard trap/hiphop with a little vocal sample chopped in

I like the beat, its got a good melody. In my opinion you should focus on cutting elements via EQ. Your snares and claps mids are too present which give the track a dry feel. Remember a track needs to have space for a voice. Stereo image other elements to carve out space in the beat and you'll be golden.

Here's a couple snips of my work. Always open to feedback

https://soundcloud.com/soundahfekz/nyc-to-tokyo-snipp

https://soundcloud.com/soundahfekz/levels-snipp

magundah14

Neo Member
Damn smoke, so much good info

Nice flow. Left comment on SC

Really like the soothing sounds, but the drums half way in ruined it for me. Mixing in such dry sounds really hurt the chill atmosphere imo.
I would've taken longer drum samples, add reverb and cut out the high end.

Nice. Good sound.
Now add some vocals!

Max

I am not Max
Really like the soothing sounds, but the drums half way in ruined it for me. Mixing in such dry sounds really hurt the chill atmosphere imo.
I would've taken longer drum samples, add reverb and cut out the high end.
I appreciate the feedback! I used the beginning as build-up towards the end part. The comments about using a longer drum sample and cutting the high end make sense to me now, but I never like editing a song and then re-uploading it. The advice is good for the future tho

Did you consider the Sub 37? I haven't played one yet but I dig the knob layout and it sounds terrific in demos.

I did, but it's kind of doing the opposite of what I want. For the Sub they basically took the original Phatty and made it more aggressive. I talked to a guy at Moog and he said they pretty much made it to market to the dance/dj crowd. The thing I love about the LP/SP is how smooth and round it is. I'm actually looking to use it for really basic sounds, and the fundamental triangle sounds really sweet, same with the square.

As far as I know, yes. I've never used Logic though, so can't comment further I'm afraid. But good luck, I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with it. I'm pretty interested in sound design myself.

here you go, i think it turned out pretty good. thanks for all the help!

vocals sound design.

I'm curious about how they'd capture an IR of dry ice.

haha yes, i realise that made no sense. i've yet to watch the feature yet, i was just poorly regurgitating information about it from another forum.

Fusebox

Banned
I did, but it's kind of doing the opposite of what I want. For the Sub they basically took the original Phatty and made it more aggressive. I talked to a guy at Moog and he said they pretty much made it to market to the dance/dj crowd. The thing I love about the LP/SP is how smooth and round it is. I'm actually looking to use it for really basic sounds, and the fundamental triangle sounds really sweet, same with the square.

Huh, thats backwards to how I thought of it. I always thought of the Minimoog Model D as being brighter and slightly more aggressive than either the Voyager and the Little Phatty and to my ears, the Sub37 sounds closer to the original Model D than anything they've made since.

There's some guys talking about that here:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19675

Not to take anything away from the Lil phatty of course, I've always loved it and the Slim, they're wicked synths.

SaviorX

Ive been messing around with FL Studio for the past week after not using it in years (since FL 6). Made about 3 songs worth keeping.

Its been pretty fun getting the rust off and trying some stuff, but I really want to make an EDM/Progressive House song.

However, I have no idea where to even start.

magundah14

Neo Member
Ive been messing around with FL Studio for the past week after not using it in years (since FL 6). Made about 3 songs worth keeping.

Its been pretty fun getting the rust off and trying some stuff, but I really want to make an EDM/Progressive House song.

Start with the drop, then worry about intro, build-up, etc.
And for synth sounds, FX and all that, just mess around :)

Did anyone here try out Ohm Studio?
I have a friend who wants to start producing Metal tracks, but all he has is my old copy of Mixcraft Pro 5, which is awful.
So he's looking for an alternative and Ohm Studio caught our interest.

Fusebox

Banned

I recommend starting with the kick and the bass man, that's where the energy is in prog house. If the kick and bass go well together the rest of the track will usually fall into place, but if your kick and bass aren't strong then no amount of extra sounds or effects will save your track.

As for plugs, these may help:

Spire - best VST synth out there for making EDM, A bit CPU hungry but the sound is worth it. Sounds so good it makes my Virus TI nervous. If you only get one VST synth get this one, don't screw about with the classics like sylenth or synth1, they've been surpassed:

http://youtu.be/B0G1CqpmhUU

Kick - Nicky Romeros kick drum plugin. Ignore his name if you aren't a fan, but if you want incredible sounding, properly tuned dance kicks that work across all speakers sizes with no fuss get this.

Kickstart - another utility from Romero made with the cable guys team, this is a sidechain plugin. "But I can already sidechain!" you may well say. Well if you're making prog house you're gonna be side chaining a lot and this seriously improves workflow and avoids a lot of extra clicking and routing. Dirt cheap and so damn useful.

Valhalla room - everyone needs one really good reverb. This is one of the best, one of the cheapest and is super clean compared to his vintage models, perfect for prog house.

It's been a long time since I made a track that didn't use all these plugs heavily.

I recommend starting with the kick and the bass man, that's where the energy is in prog house. If the kick and bass go well together the rest of the track will usually fall into place, but if your kick and bass aren't strong then no amount of extra sounds or effects will save your track.

As for plugs, these may help:

Spire - best VST synth out there for making EDM, A bit CPU hungry but the sound is worth it. Sounds so good it makes my Virus TI nervous. If you only get one VST synth get this one, don't screw about with the classics like sylenth or synth1, they've been surpassed:

http://youtu.be/B0G1CqpmhUU

Kick - Nicky Romeros kick drum plugin. Ignore his name if you aren't a fan, but if you want incredible sounding, properly tuned dance kicks that work across all speakers sizes with no fuss get this.

Kickstart - another utility from Romero made with the cable guys team, this is a sidechain plugin. "But I can already sidechain!" you may well say. Well if you're making prog house you're gonna be side chaining a lot and this seriously improves workflow and avoids a lot of extra clicking and routing. Dirt cheap and so damn useful.

Valhalla room - everyone needs one really good reverb. This is one of the best, one of the cheapest and is super clean compared to his vintage models, perfect for prog house.

It's been a long time since I made a track that didn't use all these plugs heavily.
thanks, probably going to get these

Servbot24

Banned
Top Bottom