• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

deli2000

How do you guys go about and promote your music?

I've put my stuff on YouTube, SoundCloud, and on Spotify/iTunes when I'm not using uncleared samples. Putting it up on Facebook/Twitter... But really how do you guys get more people to listen than just a few good friends who say they like it?

I haven't had much sucess in this. But submitting your tracks to music blogs is generally the way to go. Hype Machine is a good place to look for appropriate blogs.

Servbot24

Banned
Any of you guys worked with a portable mic? I want to possibly get a nice mic that I can use with my iPhone so that I can do some field recordings for sampling later on.

neshcom

Banned
I've been working on a concept album for a little while now and I'd like to hear any advice you have on the mix. It's available from this unlisted Soundcloud link. It's quiet because it's uncompressed and mixed to -6dB for the mastering process, but I'd love any feedback you can give.

It uses samples from the old noir film "DOA" and retells the tale of an accountant who's poisoned on vacation and spends his last few days alive unraveling the conspiracy behind his death.

collige

Banned
How do you guys go about and promote your music?

I've put my stuff on YouTube, SoundCloud, and on Spotify/iTunes when I'm not using uncleared samples. Putting it up on Facebook/Twitter... But really how do you guys get more people to listen than just a few good friends who say they like it?

What kind of music are you making? If it's dance music, the key is to build a network of DJs that are willing to play out your music on radio shows, etc.

Xrenity

What kind of music are you making? If it's dance music, the key is to build a network of DJs that are willing to play out your music on radio shows, etc.
Well, kinda EDM/minimal I guess. Think Nicolas Jaar/Jamie XX type of songs.

I don't know any DJs :p

I'm gonna try to make a liveset though and try perform it live. See if that gets things going a bit more. Should be fun either way!

spent last night and a bit of today making this track.

one of my favorite ones ive made so far. hope you enjoy.

Sounds chili pepperish, which judging from the title is what you were going for, or recognized you ended up with. But the drums also give it a hip hop vibe, I like the groove a lot, I also think It'd be a fine hip hop beat if you upped the drums in the mix. I disliked the clap sample, I don't know why it but it sounded slightly cheesy to my ears.

Hey Sadsic! I made a remix of one of your tracks!

I apologize in advance.

At first I was like noo what are you doing, but then that deep house sounding bass came in, and, I was like, I see what you're doing tipped my hat and walked away.

Finished off a new house track, nothin too spesh but it's a fun enough jam and it has a geeky sample:

https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/packets

You're banned right now but if you're lurking or you've come back, I need to say, this is my jam dude. Also the bass sounds like it says durk a durk which amused me to no end.

I also made this: Celestial Web - Kitten, the name is a hint as to what I used as a reference track while trying to mix - I think I came closer to sounding good but I'm not fully there yet.

BobDylan

Sounds chili pepperish, which judging from the title is what you were going for, or recognized you ended up with. But the drums also give it a hip hop vibe, I like the groove a lot, I also think It'd be a fine hip hop beat if you upped the drums in the mix. I disliked the clap sample, I don't know why it but it sounded slightly cheesy to my ears.

I started writing the song with the first guitar part you hear. the inspiration came after listening to Frusciante talk about some techniques and approaches he takes when writing a song. they are also my favorite band so always gonna be some influence somewhere. I also thought about the hip hop beat because the bpm sits at 93 so it's right in that zone.

Very nice track, I like how the bass and guitar sound.

Thank you, I appreciate that!

Aww I see Fusebox is banned. :/

Well I ended up selling my Maschine. Just didn't jell with my workflow. Like Fuse, I ended up using the software but seldom the controller. So I figure I might as well just go with Geist or Tremor if I'm gonna go the software route. I felt its just so much easier and faster to get it going with Geist in particular. Gonna see if I can snag a used license on KVR.

With the funds from the Maschine I managed to snag a Waldorf Blofeld. It's my 1st Waldorf synth! 25 voices, 16-part multi-timbral. Hopefully it's the pad monster I think it can be. It will compliment my Bass Station II nicely.

LOL I wish. Jexus has gotten a lot of synths sold with those videos. I know I'm always on the lookout for a cheap AN1x thanks to him. That Blofeld video is spectacular. The man is a wizard.

i made this awhile ago but didn't post it for some reason, but here's a cover of college - real human being (from the drive soundtrack?), and also another original song:

https://soundcloud.com/iaas/a-real-hero-college-cover-1

https://soundcloud.com/iaas/you-still-here

any feedback would be useful, i wanted to make an album of sort of dream-pop songs but i dunno maybe that opportunity has passed. i have been kind of in a creative slump for like the last 6 months so i haven't really made anything new :/

neos

I've done a new track, ft. voice samples from our own FelixOrion.
https://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/libl3t

It's not the loudest thing you'll ever heard in your life, i had some problems with the "guitar chords" at 2'20''.While not being the loudest part of the track, it gave me bad distortion artifacts once i started hitting the limiter. So eh, turn up your volume knob:)

Fusebox

Banned
Producer GAAAAAF, I'm at work atm but I'll catch up on everyone's new tunes when I get home this arvo.

Very excited about the new NI Kontrol S25 keyboard, that's right up my alley. I also ordered the CME XKey a couple of days ago for couch/laptop/ipad composing, that should be fun.

I think my Virus TI is gonna be up on ebay soon though, as much as I love it and it sounds amazing it doesn't help me when I'm making a tune on the train and the Virus is at home on my desk. Plus some of the new plugs like Spire and Dune 2 and coming really close to sounding as good as the Virus does. Throw on some decent effects and the difference narrows anymore.

okno

Howdy y'all!

Amateur producer in the hizzouse! I've recently started dicking around more seriously within Reason, and am beginning to produce my own house/techno/whateverhappens. Would love some insight! Anyone else using Reason here? I'm on Reason 5 on a MBP, no MIDI or anything. Just my keyboard and fingers. Not sure what to get to streamline things... Would like something to make things a little easier, but I find Reason to work pretty seamlessly even without a mouse or MIDI keyboard. I also have and use Logic, but prefer the workflow and environment of Reason over Logic IMMENSELY.

Here's a little ditty I came up with today. It's still a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it in its current state: https://soundcloud.com/thisiseirikur/wipbwoog

xo

neos

Howdy y'all!

Amateur producer in the hizzouse! I've recently started dicking around more seriously within Reason, and am beginning to produce my own house/techno/whateverhappens. Would love some insight! Anyone else using Reason here? I'm on Reason 5 on a MBP, no MIDI or anything. Just my keyboard and fingers. Not sure what to get to streamline things... Would like something to make things a little easier, but I find Reason to work pretty seamlessly even without a mouse or MIDI keyboard. I also have and use Logic, but prefer the workflow and environment of Reason over Logic IMMENSELY.

Here's a little ditty I came up with today. It's still a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it in its current state: https://soundcloud.com/thisiseirikur/wipbwoog

xo
Welcome, i'm a REason 5 user too,i'm actually saving to upgrade to 8 in few months.I'm not a pro but if i can share something useful i'll do it happily.I use a master keybord (oxygen 49) while arranging my tracks,but mainly for noting.Knobs filters and watnot are moved via mouse in my workflow. I'm writin from a ps4 so no soundcloud available, will give a listen to your stuff when i'll be on desktop.Cheers:)

Vally

Howdy y'all!

xo

Welcome! I use Reason 5 too, also tried FL Studio but I didn't like it as much. Same as neos, I'm also planning to upgrade to 8 (or whatever version is available by the time I save enough money lol)

That track sounds pretty good, I like it

J10

Banned
I wish this thread had more in depth discussion about how folks are making stuff.

General question: What does your effects chain typically look like on vocals?

I wish this thread had more in depth discussion about how folks are making stuff.

General question: What does your effects chain typically look like on vocals?

I'm relatively new to working with vocals but i've been using:

1.EQ
2.Compression
3.HighCut
4.WAVES Vocal Rider
5.Reverb

Actually i'm a kind of a noob when it comes to effect chaining in general. Is there like a rule of thumb when ordering an EQ and Compressor?

J10

Banned

1.EQ
2.Compression
3.HighCut
4.WAVES Vocal Rider
5.Reverb

Actually i'm a kind of a noob when it comes to effect chaining in general. Is there like a rule of thumb when ordering an EQ and Compressor?

There is no rule of thumb, you just have to be aware of what happens when you change the order. EQ is gonna change your tone and compression is gonna change your dynamics. When you compress after EQing you'll lose some of your tonal changes. EQing after compression will alter your dynamics. It might be reasonable to EQ before and after compression depending on whether you're using compression to control a signal level.

New Aphex Twin song is bonkers

I'm curious who are some of your guys favorite producers or atleast inspire you?

There is no rule of thumb, you just have to be aware of what happens when you change the order. EQ is gonna change your tone and compression is gonna change your dynamics. When you compress after EQing you'll lose some of your tonal changes. EQing after compression will alter your dynamics. It might be reasonable to EQ before and after compression depending on whether you're using compression to control a signal level.

Thanks for wisdom as always J10

1.EQ
2.Compression
3.HighCut
4.WAVES Vocal Rider
5.Reverb

This is from noob to noob to this is probably a bad knowledge transcode. But I generally try to use any effects that "clean up" the source signal before compression. (e.g I will low cut/high cut the vocals before they hit the compressor), while effects that are meant to alter the tone come after the compressor. I may or may not apply another compression step after adding effects to make them pop a bit more, especially on reverb, but I tend to do that on return tracks.

J10

Banned
This is from noob to noob to this is probably a bad knowledge transcode. But I generally try to use any effects that "clean up" the source signal before compression. (e.g I will low cut/high cut the vocals before they hit the compressor), while effects that are meant to alter the tone come after the compressor. I may or may not apply another compression step after adding effects to make them pop a bit more, especially on reverb, but I tend to do that on return tracks.

I like to put a gate first in the chain to cut off the empty spaces between vocals. I live right on a bus route and the mic picks up a lot of street noise, as well as the air conditioner in the room sometimes.

De-essing is important too, but kinda tricky because it doesn't always go in the same place in the chain. Sometimes a simple notch filter will do the job, but there's also a free plugin I like called Spitfish. You can invert the signal to only hear the ssssss sounds and adjust the sensitivity to only cut the annoying parts.

RW61Nst.jpg

I also use the Waves DeEsser but that's expensive.

Hi everyone, was just linked to this thread.

Just wondering if someone could give me a quick breakdown on the set up they have. I'm interested in making some tracks but only have some rudimentary gear, a copy of Sony Acid with some pack in synths, Fruity Loops and a midi controller I have little idea how to use. Used to have a copy of Reason but it seems to have disappeared from my HDD. I've made some tracks but want to get more of a professional sound and was wondering how much it'd cost all up, including headphones, monitors, synth software etc.

Thanks.

Nyx

Just wondering if someone could give me a quick breakdown on the set up they have. I'm interested in making some tracks but only have some rudimentary gear, a copy of Sony Acid with some pack in synths, Fruity Loops and a midi controller I have little idea how to use. Used to have a copy of Reason but it seems to have disappeared from my HDD. I've made some tracks but want to get more of a professional sound and was wondering how much it'd cost all up, including headphones, monitors, synth software etc.

Thanks.

I have Reason 5.0 and a M-Audio Oxygen v2 midi-keyboard.

Not much else really, I use my Sennheiser Headphones.

Need to get back into producing though, it's been over a year now that I last did something.

For some of my sounds : (''Entering the Void'' is a DJ set, the rest of the tracks are own productions)

http://soundcloud.com/nyx_1978

Almost 5 years ago since my first and only release, damnit how time flies...

"Just wondering if someone could give me a quick breakdown on the set up they have. I'm interested in making some tracks but only have some rudimentary gear, a copy of Sony Acid with some pack in synths, Fruity Loops and a midi controller I have little idea how to use. Used to have a copy of Reason but it seems to have disappeared from my HDD. I've made some tracks but want to get more of a professional sound and was wondering how much it'd cost all up, including headphones, monitors, synth software etc."

FL Studio will get you far on its own. Professional sounding songs are mostly about being tasteful and getting everything to sit right, more (and more expensive synths) won't really help that, especially since there are a few really solid free synths out there. Outside of maybe a decent soundcard (like a 1-200$ sound card) and some Audiotechnica M50s, you should spend money on books or classes on audio engineering learning how to use equalization, compression, etc. etc. Or just look at that bajillion videos on youtube going over it.

To answer your question, I use Renoise, Maschine, Korg Nanopad 2, Massive, a Focusrite 2i2 sound card, and Beyerdynamic DT880s.

I have Reason 5.0 and a M-Audio Oxygen v2 midi-keyboard.

Not much else really, I use my Sennheiser Headphones.

Need to get back into producing though, it's been over a year now that I last did something.

For some of my sounds : (''Entering the Void'' is a DJ set, the rest of the tracks are own productions)

http://soundcloud.com/nyx_1978

Almost 5 years ago since my first and only release, damnit how time flies...

Thanks. I'm looking at getting some Sennheisers myself. Trying to listen to your tracks now but I'm having some problems with the SC player.

Vindicator

Thanks.

Ableton Live, Novation X-Station, RME Multiface, Korg Kaoss Pad 3. Plus an ancient Studiomaster mixing Console, not in the best condition but got it for free.
117361d1239205182-studiomaster-16-4-2-opinions-studiomaster-16-4-2-1.jpg

Haven't done stuff in the last few years tho.

"Just wondering if someone could give me a quick breakdown on the set up they have. I'm interested in making some tracks but only have some rudimentary gear, a copy of Sony Acid with some pack in synths, Fruity Loops and a midi controller I have little idea how to use. Used to have a copy of Reason but it seems to have disappeared from my HDD. I've made some tracks but want to get more of a professional sound and was wondering how much it'd cost all up, including headphones, monitors, synth software etc."

FL Studio will get you far on its own. Professional sounding songs are mostly about being tasteful and getting everything to sit right, more (and more expensive synths) won't really help that, especially since there are a few really solid free synths out there. Outside of maybe a decent soundcard (like a 1-200$ sound card) and some Audiotechnica M50s, you should spend money on books or classes on audio engineering learning how to use equalization, compression, etc. etc. Or just look at that bajillion videos on youtube going over it.

To answer your question, I use Renoise, Maschine, Korg Nanopad 2, Massive, a Focusrite 2i2 sound card, and Beyerdynamic DT880s.

Thanks. Yeah, I've read a lot of stuff and I'm always learning. I can't seem to get good basslines out of FL. Guess I have to invest in some more softsynths. Is that set up you have expensive?

"Thanks. Yeah, I've read a lot of stuff and I'm always learning. I can't seem to get good basslines out of FL. Guess I have to invest in some more softsynths. Is that set up you have expensive?"

Not really. Maschine was probably the most expensive part and I mostly use it for the built in library these days, not essential at all. Massive comes with Maschine for free, Renoise is super cheap ($80~), Focusrite 2i2 is cheap ($100), Nanopad2 was like $50, and my headphones are $250.

"Thanks. Yeah, I've read a lot of stuff and I'm always learning. I can't seem to get good basslines out of FL. Guess I have to invest in some more softsynths. Is that set up you have expensive?"

Not really. Maschine was probably the most expensive part and I mostly use it for the built in library these days, not essential at all. Massive comes with Maschine for free, Renoise is super cheap ($80~), Focusrite 2i2 is cheap ($100), Nanopad2 was like $50, and my headphones are $250.
I hardly use my Maschine anymore either, just for the samples. Just doesn't fit in my flow. It comes with Massive now? I'm reasonably sure it didn't when I got it

"I hardly use my Maschine anymore either, just for the samples. Just doesn't fit in my flow. It comes with Massive now? I'm reasonably sure it didn't when I got it"

You should have it now, they gave it to all Maschine owners as well as Komplete Elements.

J10

Banned
Made a new track, kinda inspired by Daphni's Julia. What do you guys think? Is it too long..?

http://soundcloud.com/airtime-music-nl/reloaded

It's fine, it could just use a little tweaking. Length doesn't matter much when you've got a sensible and interesting arrangement. Build ups and breakdowns, an A part, a B part, a C part, a D part, etc. Not referring to keys, I mean sections that are different from each other in a meaningful way, the way a chorus, a verse, and a bridge are different from each other.

Our band released our first EP last week. We spent the past year recording and producing everything ourselves. For mixing, I decided to go for the "less is more" approach. I mainly used subtractive EQ-ing and, other than reverb and delay, used very few FX. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Nothing was rushed, and a lot of consideration and effort went in to it.

If you're a fan of instrumental/prog/post rock, this might interest you: onwardsupwards.bandcamp.com

"I hardly use my Maschine anymore either, just for the samples. Just doesn't fit in my flow. It comes with Massive now? I'm reasonably sure it didn't when I got it"

You should have it now, they gave it to all Maschine owners as well as Komplete Elements.
My dad actually wasn't using his copy so I have it anyway, just didn't know. I'm also not a fan at all of how NI does their software downloads/updates as a sidenote, such a pain

Fusebox

Banned
I'm also not a fan at all of how NI does their software downloads/updates as a sidenote, such a pain

Jesus Christ yes it's horrible, I'm a Komplete owner and the install/update process is enough to turn me off ever wanting to upgrade my PC. They need a central installer like Waves have.

I barely use the NI stuff anymore anyway, mostly just Razor and some of the Solid Mix plugs.

Speaking of Razor, there's a track or two of Razor in my latest house tune, along with Dune 2, Spire and even the good old Korg Polysix coz why not:

https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/all-day-long

Thanks.

My setup expanded to the point of absurdity at one stage but now I'm stripped it back to the bare essentials.

From
8452366660_f386f32209_b.jpg

To
15150759910_c29300ffde_b.jpg

Now I make the majority of my tunes using just a handful of plugs compared to what I've got installed:

Studio One v 2.6
Dune 2
Spire
Nicky Romero Kick
Nicky Romero Kickstart
Valhalla Room and Ubermod
The Glue
The Drop
Satson Channel
Izotope Ozone

It feels nice stripping a list of 100+ plugins down to a small list of shortcuts. Also I try to avoid using any of my dongle-licensed plugs these days so I can grab my laptop and go portable without needing my iLok or Waves dongle.

Behold, a thing that will cause some-several folks to mysteriously disappear some cash in the direction of France: TherapSid

http://twisted-electrons.com/therapsid/

SID under full control

Named after a vicious dinosaur, its sound is no less aggressive.
TherapSid has evolved to create roaring noises that will cut through your mix like razor-sharp claws through a mammoth steak.

So why do you need another synth, since they already take 90% of the space in your room and your girlfriend keeps complaining about it?

Well, what sets TherapSid apart from other SID based synths is its focus on control. Instead of getting confused by lcds and damaging your eyesight trying to read tiny sub menu fonts, this instrument features no less than 35 knobs and 31 buttons to give you full power over your sound.

However, TherapSid also has it’s own iPad app allowing touchscreen control.

As with all our boutique instruments, TherapSid is lovingly handcrafted in the south of France and features a backlit front panel, walnut side-panels and comes with 100 presets to get you started. You can assign LFOs to knobs with one push of a button or sequence “snapshots” of knob positions using the flexible 16 step sequencer, enough to keep you busy until the next ice age.

TherapSid is available either with pre-installed and tested 6581 or without SID (if you already have your own).

We have a very limited stock of 6581 SIDS so don’t wait until they go extinct and order yours right now!

TherapSid is compatible with all variations of the SID chip including 6581, 8550 (6582) & Swinsid and it is simple to install your own.

The unit is configured to provide the correct voltages and the necessary filter capacitors for both generations are included.

FEATURES

-Compatible with all SIDS
-3 Oscillators, 4 waveforms per osc.
-Multimode Filter
-35 Knobs
-31 Buttons
-SID pcb isolated from main pcb (less noise)
-Switched audio input for running signals through the filter!
-100 Presets
-3 Lfos: 4 waveforms, 12 target knobs
-16 Step Modulator: sequence up to 20 knob positions, per step in a snap!
Also modulate Ring Mod, Sync and Waveform for all voices.
-Pedal Glide: enable/disable glide with the sustain pedal
-Compatible with our free app for iPad (pending app store approval), Mac, Pc & Linux (download)
-Fully midi automated (see midi spec. chart in manual)
-Future proof: Firmware updates via sysex

Nifty little audio demo towards the bottom, very C64'ish in a great surprise to nobody!

Top Bottom