• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

It would be perfect if they could get the Mito Koumon work on there as another official voice outright if not for what I'd guess to be some sort of license rights conundrum(Oh, Sunsoft~)---though I guess in theory you could tweak the Otto voice heavily enough to mostly make it happen since that was the specific tech they used as a base?

http://www.glitterberri.com/developer-interviews/the-spirit-of-sunsoft/ "The Famicom speaks" part in particular

In any case, I do believe they have further plans going forward to continue to improve upon and add to it---so here's hoping this blows up big time and makes for a sorely deserved massive hit for the Plogue folks. I mean, just look at that snazzy project page!

http://www.plogue.com/products/chipspeech/

Xrenity

I'd like to have my songs in an indie game. Anyone got experience with that or places to seek contact with indie's about this?

"I'd like to have my songs in an indie game. Anyone got experience with that or places to seek contact with indie's about this?"

Good luck. Your best place to search would be on indie game dev communities as well as various game engine websites so:

www.tigsource.com
www.unity3d.com
www.unrealengine.com
www.indiedb.com
www.indiegamer.com
www.reddit.com/r/gamedevclassifieds
www.reddit.com/r/inat

You could also try cold calling (contacting unsolicited) various indie games early in development to see if they would be interested. Do note, it would appear that the supply of musicians trying to get work in indie games farrrrrrrrrrrr outstrips the demand, so don't expect to find an open position overnight. Though, if your music is amazing, maybe you will?

I am once again back on the gadget trip. I will hold another Electronic Mobile Jam Session again this year in germany. (Link to #1, video for #2 is in the works)
I now have all the Korg Volcas including sample, small Kaossilators an KP minis, monotribe and I ordered the new electribe. There is a rumor about the electribe that there is supposed to be something big happening to the electribe. Maybe sampler functionality patched in, iVST functionality or an open source editor. Maybe nothing and it is what it is, a nice groovebox with some pros and cons. I look forward to it anyways.

I have more gadgets (iPad apps, Nintendo DS stuff (3x Electroplankton, Korg synths)). And I tried Circuit Bending and tinkering with electronics for the first time last year. exciting stuff, even if I have nearly no clue about it...

My Atari Punk Console with some minor mods:
Eewmfbu.jpg

Circuit bent Keychain (damn, it's so small inside). I exchanged the small button batteries for a big AA Battery, Volume Knob, Pitch bend and Line out.

I am about to make a new Youtube Channel with tutorials, reviews, tipps and stuff about gadgets. Will post it when I'm ready.
I also want to push my "normal" DAW music making further.

Xrenity

Good luck. Your best place to search would be on indie game dev communities as well as various game engine websites so:

www.tigsource.com
www.unity3d.com
www.unrealengine.com
www.indiedb.com
www.indiegamer.com
www.reddit.com/r/inat

You could also try cold calling (contacting unsolicited) various indie games early in development to see if they would be interested.
Thanks!
Do note, it would appear that the supply of musicians trying to get work in indie games farrrrrrrrrrrr outstrips the demand, so don't expect to find an open position overnight. Though, if your music is amazing, maybe you will?
Of course my music is amazing!

Servbot24

Banned
"I'd like to have my songs in an indie game. Anyone got experience with that or places to seek contact with indie's about this?"

www.tigsource.com
www.unity3d.com
www.unrealengine.com
www.indiedb.com
www.indiegamer.com
www.reddit.com/r/inat

You could also try cold calling (contacting unsolicited) various indie games early in development to see if they would be interested. Do note, it would appear that the supply of musicians trying to get work in indie games farrrrrrrrrrrr outstrips the demand, so don't expect to find an open position overnight. Though, if your music is amazing, maybe you will?

Also you could offer your services in GAF's own indie development thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965454

lazygecko

It seems that most of the old guard in audio software (ie those that have been around since the 90's) have been slow to adapt to the much more diverse and competitive market, thinking that their legacy reputation is enough to justify the higher prices.

Accoun

Apparently, Teenage Engineering PO-12 came out, and instead of just a drum machine it's now a "Pocket Operator" line of cute, super-cheap instruments that came just as a circuit board and a wire stand, like Korg's Volca. Also, unlike the prototypes, aside from 3 preset tempos they have adjustable BPM and pulse sync option. Plus adjustable swing.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/...-inspires-tiny-59-synths-teenage-engineering/

I have no idea how do they sound (no sound on the PC I am ATM), except the Rhythm, which had a prototype released and unless it changed drastically, I really like. Still, I'm GASing heavily, at least over the drums.

Create Digital Music when asked when they do come out, answered "Theoretically, tomorrow -- 22nd of January. But that's exclusive to TE and Colette" - not sure when they'll be available at normal store, but hopefully they will (I don't want to have to import them).

Accoun

you can't get audio through the outs and the sync track at the same time, right?
You can IIRC. One of the channels is used for audio, one for sync pulse (unless I remember wrong and it was in another video about some other piece of gear, it should be in SonicState NAMM Pocket Operator Series video).

You can IIRC. One of the channels is used for audio, one for sync pulse (unless I remember wrong and it was in another video about some other piece of gear, it should be in SonicState NAMM Pocket Operator Series video).
That's neat then. I'm definitely considering picking these up

you can't get audio through the outs and the sync track at the same time, right?

You can. There are 5 sync modes that you have to set each unit to. So one unit either recieves sync and mono audio or nothing or just sync (the first in the chain) and outputs sync and mono or stereo (if it's the last in chain). Pretty nice since it even starts the sequences at the same time for all devices.

I got my shipment notice! wohoo!

J10

Banned
I made a couple of No Man's Sky (65daysofstatic) inspired tracks. I started making music barely a year ago so I know they're kind of amateurish, but I'd like to know what you guys think of them if you have the time.

https://soundcloud.com/lethal-input/nms

https://soundcloud.com/lethal-input/derelict

On the first track your snare sounds a little too upfront. Feels like it would make more sense to bring some of the melodic content up instead.

On both tracks you could consider adding a little more movement to the texture of the sustained synth parts with an lfo, phaser, or something you can sweep through at regular intervals just to keep the long notes interesting. As it is it feels a little dry and sterile.

Some transition sound effects would be nice as well - they can be pitched or just enveloped noise. You would place them leading up to the points where there's a significant change in the arrangement, like when the drums drop out in the second track near the minute mark - there should be a build-up to that change to let the listener know the change is coming. Not necessarily a sound effect though - it could be a drum roll/pattern change or some kind of vocal stab. That kind of thing helps keep the listener engaged.

I really like them, nice work. 'Derelict' would fit perfectly in NMS, it does sounds great and not amateurish at all imo.

Thanks!

On the first track your snare sounds a little too upfront. Feels like it would make more sense to bring some of the melodic content up instead.

On both tracks you could consider adding a little more movement to the texture of the sustained synth parts with an lfo, phaser, or something you can sweep through at regular intervals just to keep the long notes interesting. As it is it feels a little dry and sterile.

Some transition sound effects would be nice as well - they can be pitched or just enveloped noise. You would place them leading up to the points where there's a significant change in the arrangement, like when the drums drop out in the second track near the minute mark - there should be a build-up to that change to let the listener know the change is coming. Not necessarily a sound effect though - it could be a drum roll/pattern change or some kind of vocal stab. That kind of thing helps keep the listener engaged.

I'll look into experimenting more with that type of stuff since LFOs and phasers tend to be in the category of things I stay away from the most lol. Yeah and that snare is like 5 different snares layered together, so I may have over done it just a little there. For some reason I thought the song that it was inspired from had really loud snares https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFiweI7_6Do#t=143 but I didn't listen to it again unti; after I was finished making it, so when I went back to it afterwards I was just like "...oh"

Sadsic

Hey can someone who likes Boards of Canada/Flying Lotus/Black Moth Super Rainbow gimme some feedback on my album? i wanna see whats good and whats bad with it.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Hey can someone who likes Boards of Canada/Flying Lotus/Black Moth Super Rainbow gimme some feedback on my album? i wanna see whats good and whats bad with it.

It's dope. It seems like you have that style down pat. I can't really say anything constructive about it. Except, stay creative.

19:18 on Cells is awesome

Actually the whole thing is sick

What's an easy to use program I could use. I downloaded Finale and I'm confused as hell. I hate the look of Fruity Loops and Garage Band.

How do you hate the look of FL.

It's beautiful

The use of vocals is superb. Liking it.

been working on a remix of a track that is featured on the soundtrack of psyscrolr, an upcoming wii-u indie game.
pretty much my first foray into this kind of stuff but it's great fun:
summer fun (show me your skeleton mix)

I checked out the game and it looks nice! I'm listening through quite a few of your songs and they are very interesting compositions. Iceberg Sunday stands out to me in particular. Excellent track!

So I just put out a new free album. It's 18 tracks of cinematic/hybrid music. Very film/game soundtrack reminiscent. Just a compilation of a whole lot of unconnected tracks I wrote last year. Check it out!

https://steven-mcdonald.bandcamp.com/album/pathways-vol-ii

Holy crap! I'm listening to your first track and i'm getting old R&C nostalgia. get insomniac to hire u pls

Edit: I'm on guardians, really liking your style mah dude. Like a lot.

Edit: Again, i'm like 4/5ths of the way through. I really feel like you had to have had inspiration from the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games for certain tracks. Either that or it's just a super coincidence that they resemble the style of some of those tracks.

Falk

that puzzling face
What's an easy to use program I could use. I downloaded Finale and I'm confused as hell. I hate the look of Fruity Loops and Garage Band.

Finale is mainly a notation program. The other two are digital audio workstations (Garage Band being a lot more accessible/simplified)

What exactly are you looking to do?

Holy crap! I'm listening to your first track and i'm getting old R&C nostalgia. get insomniac to hire u pls

Edit: I'm on guardians, really liking your style mah dude. Like a lot.

Edit: Again, i'm like 4/5ths of the way through. I really feel like you had to have had inspiration from the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games for certain tracks. Either that or it's just a super coincidence that they resemble the style of some of those tracks.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! And honestly I've never played or heard the music from any R&C games. Most of my inspiration is from games like Halo, Mass Effect, and other more modern sci-fi games.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! And honestly I've never played or heard the music from any R&C games. Most of my inspiration is from games like Halo, Mass Effect, and other more modern sci-fi games.

Ah, interesting. Well for just one example, your Gauntlet track reminded me a lot of this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Por9fZb_uuM

It's kinda hard to just equate one song to a track, but just in general the vibe a lot of your songs have remind me of the soundtrack of those games.

So I've never boasted about the shit I make cause quite frankly they're rough as hell and I never have the time or patience to finish it but here it goes:

https://www.soundcloud.com/shagg187

Tracks that I had fun making were Outage, Resonate and Repulsive.

(I hope I haven't posted these before!! Lol).

All of them feature a guitar, a piano and a simple drum machine. Each track (lol) was done in 6 hours or less.

Happy listening, GAF! One day I wanna be just like you all!

So I've never boasted about the shit I make cause quite frankly they're rough as hell and I never have the time or patience to finish it but here it goes:

All of them feature a guitar, a piano and a simple drum machine. Each track (lol) was done in 6 hours or less.

Dang I was thinking these would be more recent. I'm not really into the genre but I enjoyed Resonate.

Vally

I'll post my latest track, even if it's quite simple but I like how it turned out
https://soundcloud.com/risis-1/world-of-magic

Made in Reason like everything else I make. Lately I've been lacking the motivation to finish my tracks, so apart from the stuff for the GAF Tape 2 I'm taking a break from making tunes for a while

I've been listening to your stuff and 'Resonate' is my favorite, I like the dark vibe on it

Am I allowed to share my SoundCloud in here if I'm the vocalist/owner of the tracks, but the beats were produced by a producer? o////o

Top Bottom