• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Korg Gadget is great! What a surprisingly solid workflow. Decent synths and samplers but it's so quick to throw together something that sounds decent. Definitely scratching my itch for a groovebox style bit of kit.
Good to hear. the Circuit's been great so far for jotting ideas down and fleshing them out in ways I wouldn't have expected, but I haven't tried hooking it into my DAW to actually track anything yet. I did jam with it with a friend and a couple volcas, a monotribe, Electribe sampler and some other stuff, had a pretty good flow going between it all

RustyO

Korg Gadget is great! What a surprisingly solid workflow. Decent synths and samplers but it's so quick to throw together something that sounds decent. Definitely scratching my itch for a groovebox style bit of kit.

You nabbed it then?

Have a look at the IAP for Abu Dhabi and Bilbao if you haven't already... I didn't even blink about grabbing those... atually purchased them before even starting a track.

Fusebox

Banned
Yep I grabbed it and I've been caning it too. Haven't snagged Abu or Bilboa yet (they look like a Machinedrum and a Stutter Edit tool?) but I'm definitely going to grab them. I can even see myself getting the M1, so many classic house sounds.

Kozak

Banned
The track is removed but i found a different version on your soundcloud. I have to say this is completely not my thing, and i understand it's a remix, but it feels to me that you are trying to create a track "around" the rap/lyrics too much and end up with a strange "flow". I think you shouldn't be afraid to "work" with the sample(s), cut them up, rearrange them, make them "part of" your track, not make your trak "on top" of them. That's what it feels like to me, don't know if it makes sense or not.

Hey dude thanks for the real and honest feedback, I really appreciate it! Its not an easy thing to come by.

After reading over what you said and listening to it again I definitely see what you mean. The vocals sit way over the mix.

Definitely makes sense. I think I should take what I did for that 16 bar intro (chopping and looping) and develop something around that.

RustyO

Yep I grabbed it and I've been caning it too.

Excellent.

Haven't snagged Abu or Bilboa yet (they look like a Machinedrum and a Stutter Edit tool?)

Abu Dhabi: Kind of like Octatrack sample chains, or Reason's Dr Rex or something. 16th notes, each note plays back a slice, can add various parameters per slice (pitch, balance etc) and FX, import loops into here or sample chains for giggles.

Bilbao: Sample playback drum machine. So you an import your own samples (duh?) as opposed to London(?) where it is a fixed sample set.

Personally I'd recommend both. Can't comment on the M1 / keyboards app though.

ozfunghi

Hey dude thanks for the real and honest feedback, I really appreciate it! Its not an easy thing to come by.

After reading over what you said and listening to it again I definitely see what you mean. The vocals sit way over the mix.

Definitely makes sense. I think I should take what I did for that 16 bar intro (chopping and looping) and develop something around that.

No problem man, i hope it's useful to you somehow. Again, it's not really up my alley, so i can just tell you what my gut tells me. I've tried doing a house remix from an old disco-track a long time ago. I also found you get stuck fast if you try to follow the original track too much and you shouldn't be afraid to really cut into it. Make it your own.

Good luck.

I got interested in eurorack after watching I dream of wires.
But instead of starting there, I just ordered a Korg ms-20 mini.

Is it going to gather dust? I might end up with euro rack anyway, but it seemed like a good start, at 500 bucks.. It was an impulse did I impulse in the wrong direction ?

RustyO

I got interested in euroCrack after watching I dream of wires.

Is it going to gather dust? I might end up with euroCrack anyway, but it seemed like a good start, at 500 bucks.. It was an impulse did I impulse in the wrong direction ?

ftfy

Starting off with a semi-modular is always a good position. From there you can look at grabbing 84hp and power, then adding a couple of modules, say a nice little FX, and a sequencer, another oscillator and some utilities VCA, Amp, Mutliples.

You'll be in a nice little starting position with a semi-modular keyboard, a rack with a bit of zing and a bit of bland. From there you can add on or two more modules to suit and get this:

modular-10-1024x769.jpg

ozfunghi

I got interested in eurorack after watching I dream of wires.

Is it going to gather dust? I might end up with euro rack anyway, but it seemed like a good start, at 500 bucks.. It was an impulse did I impulse in the wrong direction ?

What do you mean with eurorack? Because it seems like you're talking about modular synthesis, but that has little to do with eurorack.

The MS20 mini is a good place to start. It's cheap, has a nice sound of its own and eases you into the (semi)modular world. Get to know the idea behind, get used to using patch cables. If you want to invest further into modular, you can still use your MS20 to connect to your other modular gear. Maybe one day you'll grow out of it, once it's become irrelevant in your setup, but that would mean you would have invested thousands of dollars into other gear, and the $150 you lose on your MS20 mini by selling it, won't matter all that much.

And i think it's good to start off with a synth like that, because it's easy to underestimate (modular). It looks fun and simple hooking up cables from one input to an other output, but if you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up with no sound at all. So i think it's good to start with. In case you don't like the work(flow) of modular, with the MS20 it's optional (i think, i mean it makes sound without any wires connected), and if you do like it, you can add and connect other gear to it over CV so it's still not wasted. Going fully modular, will cost you an arm and a leg before you will get the sounds you want from it, and by that point you may not like the work(flow). That would be a bad choice, fueled simply by looking at a cool movie. So... in conclusion: good choice :) I also would have said the new Moog Mother32 were a good place to start, but the MS20 will give more value, especially starting out.

It looks fun and simple hooking up cables from one input to an other output, but if you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up with no sound at all.
Haha yep, did this when my dad gave me a copy of Reason when I was little. Couldn't figure out how to make it make sound, then a friend of my dad sat down and had a few bars loop going in a couple minutes. Seemed like magic

Fusebox

Banned
What do you mean with eurorack? Because it seems like you're talking about modular synthesis, but that has little to do with eurorack.

I'd say it has a lot to do with Eurorack, my modular rig was 100% Eurorack.

Excellent.

Abu Dhabi: Kind of like Octatrack sample chains, or Reason's Dr Rex or something. 16th notes, each note plays back a slice, can add various parameters per slice (pitch, balance etc) and FX, import loops into here or sample chains for giggles.

Bilbao: Sample playback drum machine. So you an import your own samples (duh?) as opposed to London(?) where it is a fixed sample set.

Personally I'd recommend both. Can't comment on the M1 / keyboards app though.

Oh yeah, I was just trying to figure out what kit inspired the graphics for those two Gadgets. Seems they're all mostly based on real kit of some sort. The Bilbao kind of looks like an Elektron Monomachine and the Abu Dabhi looks like Sugarbytes Glitch plugin.

I can see myself grabbing the M1 as well. Gotta catch em all!

Fusebox

Banned
Eh, still sounds fine to me. He was trying to decide whether to buy some Eurorack modules or an MS-20. I doubt he was thinking of buying a Buchla and I Dream of Wires is a really Eurorack-focused doco too.

Should I buy some Eurorack modules or an MS-20 is a legit question in my book for someone who wants to start wiggling.

edit: Btw jellies_two if you do decide to expand your MS-20 with some Eurorack the CV isn't the same and you'll need a convertor, but as always there's a module for that... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...3438928.119699.136766986344336&type=1&theater

ozfunghi

Eh, still sounds fine to me. He was trying to decide whether to buy some Eurorack modules or an MS-20. I doubt he was thinking of buying a Buchla and I Dream of Wires is a really Eurorack-focused doco too.

The reason why i made the distinction, is because there are eurorack modules for many things, that have nothing or little to do with modular CV gear, which was what he was informing about and why he brought up the MS20. I have two Slim Phatties, they fit into eurorack, but i would hardly call them modular synths. The other way around, you have modular gear which does not (have to) fit inside eurorack.

Should I buy some Eurorack modules or an MS-20 is a legit question in my book for someone who wants to start wiggling.

Of course it is when you are aiming for a modular system, i never said it wasn't, as will be clear from my post you were refering to.

Anyway, i don't want this to become a semantics discussion. The reason why i said that, is because the way he posed his question, and within the context given, it seemed like he might not have been fully aware that eurorack does not equal modular synthesis or modular synthesis does not equal eurorack. But if that MS20 doesn't work out, he can always look into these little beauts: http://cluboftheknobs.com/systems_2015.html ;-)

whitehawk

Banned
I'm in the market for studio monitors, it's about time I bought a pair.
At first I was looking at the Yamaha series of monitors, but I realized it may be overkill and I can save money and go for something cheaper.
Now I'm looking at the KRK Rokit 6 series.

Anyone have these monitors? How are they?

Over the Yamaha HS7s, I'd be saving about $180 on the pair. Worth it, or should I pony up and pay extra for Yamaha?

ozfunghi

At first I was looking at the Yamaha series of monitors, but I realized it may be overkill and I can save money and go for something cheaper.

Over the Yamaha HS7s, I'd be saving about $180 on the pair. Worth it, or should I pony up and pay extra for Yamaha?

Ok, i've been doing research for good budget studio monitors for weeks if not months, up until last month. What i can tell you, is that after reading countless discussions on gearslutz, reviews, listening to monitors etc etc... that basically KRK is the last brand you want to get, if you want true reference monitors. They have a very hyped sound (you may prefer this sound to listen to music, but it will not be "true" to how it really does sound, which should be the goal of studio monitors). They are also not the best value for money, because you pay for the hype.

There is also a very good comparison on soundcloud, where you can compare lots of monitors... it sounds crazy but it actually works. They record the sound coming out of the monitors with high-end mics. If you then listen to the recordings through high-end (reference) head-phones, you get a very good idea of how the monitors color or hype the sound, next to the original source material. Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/studio-monitors You can look them up on youtube and they will show you how they record the sound.

I was particularly interested in the Event 20/20's at first, but they also sound a tiny bit muffled and were rather pricey compared to others i considered. Genelec A40 was also interesting. The Adams. The Yamaha's (they tend to be accurate but on the rather bright side, making them hard to listen to for longer sessions), Mackie... all good brands. But the ones i couldn't pass up, because they were really punching above their weight, were the JBL 305's. They are really good, and very likely the very best in their pricerange. I can highly recommend them. I usually work with my headphones (AKG Q701) but the tracks i do sound very alike on the monitors. Which is reassuring because i bought both the headphones and the monitors to get the best "true" sound for my budget. You can also get the 308, which are only a bit more expensive, but while giving more bass, they also lose a bit of accuracy. If you go with the 305's, you can buy the 310 subwoofer (optional) later on when you have the budget, to go along with the 305's. But then you have the deeper bass, while keeping the accuracy of the 305. I have to say, for small rooms/studio's and not too loud volumes, the bass is plenty coming straight out of the 305. When i leave the door open en go to the next room, it actually becomes apparant how much bass they provide for 5" monitors. The only "problem" is that there is a very slight hiss sound when you put your ear next to them (you can't hear it from 1 meter away, nor when sound comes through them). But if you take care of your powercable, it can be fixed.

You will find many people saying the same thing, and comparing them to monitors 3 to 4 times more expensive. Don't take my word for it, do some research for the JBL 305, you will see i'm not the only one.

Good luck.

Falk

that puzzling face
Something that came totally out of the blue for me are how good these (Dayton BR-1) are.

They're a speaker kit that you put together yourself. I got it as part of a speaker design/construction module I was taking, but liked the sound so much I've kept them around pretty much forever. The sound you get for the price is... rather amazing after half a decade of using them, I'm kind of confused that they don't just outright sell the speakers themselves.

edit: Looking at the PDF, I'm surprised the low rolloff starts at 50Hz. These things can pump out stuff down to 35Hz just fine.

edit2: Seconding avoid KRK like the plague.

whitehawk

Banned
Those JBL 305's seem like a decent purchase. They're $220 CDN which isn't bad at all.

One of the reasons I was thinking of the KRK was one of my favourite YouTube artists uses them, and his mixes sound great. I also have read one advantage of the KRKs is that the air escape for the bass is on the front rather then the back, which is good for small rooms if your speaker will be close to a wall (mine will).

I might just go into the local store and ask if I can try listening to the monitors. In the meantime, I'm gonna check out that soundcloud link. Thanks! I'll edit with some thoughts.

edit: I'm listening to a few samples on a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's.
The KRKs do seem a little more heavy on the low end, especially noticeable in the intro.
The JBL 305s sound pretty balanced. Thought I've never owned studio monitors so my idea of balanced might not be accurate.

Falk

that puzzling face
You're thinking of bass reflex design. Yeah, if you're in a smaller room you'll want to go for a pair with bass reflex integrated into the design.

whitehawk

Banned
You're thinking of bass reflex design. Yeah, if you're in a smaller room you'll want to go for a pair with bass reflex integrated into the design.
Hmm. On the newer Rokits you can lower the bass. I wonder if that would help with the pronounced low end I'm hearing on these monitors.

edit: After listening to a bunch of these recordings... The difference across every monitor is not that pronounced. No one could identify which ones were from KRK monitors, which I do keep reading about being on the low end of monitors. At the end of the day I think I just need to buy any set of monitors, and start mixing. My recordings will benefit greatly over mixing from my headphones, no matter what brand I buy.

Gonna go to the store tomorrow, ask some questions and hopefully leave with a pair!

Thanks guys!

ozfunghi

Hmm. On the newer Rokits you can lower the bass. I wonder if that would help with the pronounced low end I'm hearing on these monitors.

edit: After listening to a bunch of these recordings... The difference across every monitor is not that pronounced. No one could identify which ones were from KRK monitors, which I do keep reading about being on the low end of monitors. At the end of the day I think I just need to buy any set of monitors, and start mixing. My recordings will benefit greatly over mixing from my headphones, no matter what brand I buy.

Gonna go to the store tomorrow, ask some questions and hopefully leave with a pair!

Thanks guys!

That's true, but when purchasing, you might as well get the best for your budget. Also, the bass reflex on the front is definitely not better for the sound. It's better at the back IF you can put them a couple of feet away from the wall.

Also, if you look at the frequency response graphs of these monitors, you will notice that the KRK's are really one of the least accurate out there. If you are going to put them against the wall (making the Yamaha's, just like the JBL's also a no go), consider the Genelecs.

Also, i don't know how accurate your headphones are. I don't know the model. I know the Sennheiser HD600 are supposed to be the most accurate ("affordable" ~ $250) cans out there, but over here, they were more expensive (€300) and they only come in one color (black with blue "stains") and they are ugly as sin. So i chose the AKG's which were a close second and €80 cheaper.

The difference between brands (Yamaha+JBL on one hand, and the KRK's on the other) is really apparant in this 8" comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFKnGNIa58c Lowering the bass won't magically make them more accurate either.

PS: obviously, you need to put 8" monitors farther away from the walls than 5" monitors. So even in a smallish room, you can get away with the 5"ers if you leave +/- 50 cm at the back. The 8" versions need even more space.

whitehawk

Banned
That's true, but when purchasing, you might as well get the best for your budget. Also, the bass reflex on the front is definitely not better for the sound. It's better at the back IF you can put them a couple of feet away from the wall.

Also, if you look at the frequency response graphs of these monitors, you will notice that the KRK's are really one of the least accurate out there. If you are going to put them against the wall (making the Yamaha's, just like the JBL's also a no go), consider the Genelecs.

Also, i don't know how accurate your headphones are. I don't know the model. I know the Sennheiser HD600 are supposed to be the most accurate ("affordable" ~ $250) cans out there, but over here, they were more expensive (€300) and they only come in one color (black with blue "stains") and they are ugly as sin. So i chose the AKG's which were a close second and €80 cheaper.
Thanks for the tips. I might have to just go for the JBLs and adjust my setup. The Genelecs are waaaaayy out of my price range.

My headphones are meant for studio monitoring. They probably aren't the best Sennheiser has to offer, I got them for I think $120. I've seen them used in professional studios for musicians to wear during sessions.

They're pretty good, but whenever I play my mixes on other speakers I own, it just doesn't sound good. Usually the low end is too loud and the high end doesn't stand out.

edit: KRK sounds terrible in that video. Damn.

Might be between the JBL or Yamaha 5inch models. They're probably the right size since my room is rather small for a studio (bedroom).

ozfunghi

yeah, the yamaha's and the JBL are really on a different level. The JBL (5" versions) give a bit more bass (what i read) than the Yamaha's but sound quality is very close. I think the JBL's are also cheaper. The Yamaha's look better though. No Klingon forehead design.

Also, another tip... after having tweaked your sound so it comes out perfectly through your cans and monitors, you should still listen to your tracks on all sorts of speakers. Your built in phone speakers, in-ear headphones, pc speakers, your car, tv speakers (if possible) etc... It really is the best way for me.

whitehawk

Banned
yeah, the yamaha's and the JBL are really on a different level. The JBL (5" versions) give a bit more bass (what i read) than the Yamaha's but sound quality is very close. I think the JBL's are also cheaper. The Yamaha's look better though. No Klingon forehead design.

Also, another tip... after having tweaked your sound so it comes out perfectly through your cans and monitors, you should still listen to your tracks on all sorts of speakers. Your built in phone speakers, in-ear headphones, pc speakers, your car, tv speakers (if possible) etc... It really is the best way for me.
Oh believe me I do. I always test them on my earbuds, imac built in speakers, stero setup, old 1998 car speakers.

Some actually sound decent. My most recent recording sound pretty decent on my car speakers, but sound bad on my home stereo. And pretty much all my recordings sound bad on my iMac. I know the speakers sound bad in general, but y'know.

edit: Yamahas are only $9 more than the $220 JBLs. The extra bass sounds enticing from the JBLs, considering these are the smallest models at 5inches.

RustyO

Ok, i've been doing research...

Good post.

KRK is the last brand you want to get,

I had a pair of the KRK v6's for a number of years, and ended up quite disliking them. For me I found that the high end was really muffled, so one qould be tempted to EQ hats, snares, crashes etc till they were "good". As soon as you heard the mix on another system, you'd have these piercing domintating abrasive highs going on :/

Should have got something else instead, ah well, old history.

JBL 305's.

Can't comment on these from a user/owner persepective, but... I've ancedotally seen a lot of people say the same thing, "Great value", "Punch above their weight", etc.

I'll probably look at adding a pair of these for secondary/reference monitors.

RustyO

I'm just quouting you as what you say needs to be requoted, again and again.

Regardless of the monitors/speakers/headphones you use, they are a tool like anything else, and you have to learn and master that tool to get the best results.

Xrenity

For what it's worth, I got the HS7s and they're great. Had a place where I could A/B a whole set of different monitors and they came out best. (At least without paying 200€ more)

ozfunghi

edit: Yamahas are only $9 more than the $220 JBLs. The extra bass sounds enticing from the JBLs, considering these are the smallest models at 5inches.

This is just by reading up, not from hearing myself. But i've read that the bass coming out of the 5" JBL's comes closer to that of bigger and more expensive 7" or 8" monitors. I think especially compared to the Yamaha's you'll hear a difference, because they are a bit on the brighter side. I've seen the 305 being compared to the 7" Yamaha, and besting the 6" genelecs in this regard.

For what it's worth, I got the HS7s and they're great. Had a place where I could A/B a whole set of different monitors and they came out best. (At least without paying 200€ more)

Within this pricerange, i suppose it's easier to buy rubbish. The Yamaha's, JBL's they offer really great value. I went with the cheaper JBL's because less people experienced fatigue due to the brighter highs on the Yamaha's, and the JBL 5" put out basically as much bass as the 7" Yamaha, and i needed to go with 5" due to my room. Other than that, they are both some of the very few within the pricerange, that provide a "true" reference. If you're going with a different brand, and want the same quality, you'll be paying substantially more.

Good post.

Thanks, just wanted to share the info i've been gathering myself up until last month. I know it can really get frustrating because everybody has a different opinion, has their favorite brand etc... But after reading dozens of reviews, a couple of hundred pages, and thousands of comments, you begin to see patterns.

whitehawk

Banned
So I went to the store and they didn't have any JBLs in stock. I got to listen to a few different monitors though. First I compared the difference between the 5 and 6 inch KRKs. The 6s sounded wyyy better. Then I compared those to the Yamaha hs7s. They sounded a lot more balanced, low end was.much more pronounced on the KRKs as expected.

So, the HS7s were on sale, $25 off each monitor. So I bit the bullet and bought them!

Can't wait to try them out!

ozfunghi

So I went to the store and they didn't have any JBLs in stock. I got to listen to a few different monitors though. First I compared the difference between the 5 and 6 inch KRKs. The 6s sounded wyyy better. Then I compared those to the Yamaha hs7s. They sounded a lot more balanced, low end was.much more pronounced on the KRKs as expected.

So, the HS7s were on sale, $25 off each monitor. So I bit the bullet and bought them!

Good choice. Glad you didn't get the KRK's though.

whitehawk

Banned
Hopefully this is my last question for a while.

I bought some TRS cables as recommended. They seemed pricey at $50 for both of them. I only bought them knowing I could return them.

He said they are high quality cables, but does it really matter if I keep these or just get some $3.50 monoprice cables? I know it doesn't matter for digital, but TRS is analog right?

edit: Just put the speakers on my desk lmao they are big for my setup. Wonder if I should have waiter for the 5" lol. Maybe I'll just buy a new desk instead.

ozfunghi

I bought some TRS cables as recommended. They seemed pricey at $50 for both of them. I only bought them knowing I could return them.

He said they are high quality cables, but does it really matter if I keep these or just get some $3.50 monoprice cables? I know it doesn't matter for digital, but TRS is analog right?

edit: Just put the speakers on my desk lmao they are big for my setup. Wonder if I should have waiter for the 5" lol. Maybe I'll just buy a new desk instead.

That seems kind of steep for some TRS cables. I think mine were $8 or so. Likely yours will be better. If you will hear a difference though, i don't know. You can always buy a cheaper pair, compare and if you don't spot a difference, return the expensive ones, otherwise, return the cheap ones.

Yeah, that was the first thing i was thinking when you said you went with the 7" pair. Because you were talking about a small room and not wanting to put them too far from the wall. Probably a pair of 5" would have been better. You'll need to keep the 7" pair farther from the wall too. Try them out, if they don't work for you, return them. If you opt for a pair of 5" monitors, i would go with the JBL's though. If you can get them (the 7" Yamahas) set up in your room without any issues, keep them, they should be excellent monitors.

In some ways I feel like KRK are the Beats by Dr Dre of the monitoring world.

Haha; the sad part is, that people that like more bass in their tracks, are more easily seduced to buy KRK's, while the result is the exact opposite. Because when you're hearing more bass than what is actually present in your track, your finished track will lack bass when listened to on other speakers.

As long as the cables are decent copper core and oxygen free, they'll sound the same... these super expensive gold plated stuff is marketing lingo. It's a placebo in a majority of cases and if you do an A/B test it's unlikely you will hear a difference.

in the case of you desk, you should check the weight limits and you speaker weight. generally it should be fine if you distribute the weight across supporting struts, but it might be worth investing in dedicated stands that you can position to your liking and can support the weight too.

ozfunghi

As long as the cables are decent copper core and oxygen free, they'll sound the same... these super expensive gold plated stuff is marketing lingo. It's a placebo in a majority of cases and if you do an A/B test it's unlikely you will hear a difference.

in the case of you desk, you should check the weight limits and you speaker weight. generally it should be fine if you distribute the weight across supporting struts, but it might be worth investing in dedicated stands that you can position to your liking and can support the weight too.

Regarding the desk, also make sure the desk itself doesn't cause vibration or resonance when the speakers are placed directly on the desk, without a rubber stand or something.

whitehawk

Banned
That seems kind of steep for some TRS cables. I think mine were $8 or so. Likely yours will be better. If you will hear a difference though, i don't know. You can always buy a cheaper pair, compare and if you don't spot a difference, return the expensive ones, otherwise, return the cheap ones.

Yeah, that was the first thing i was thinking when you said you went with the 7" pair. Because you were talking about a small room and not wanting to put them too far from the wall. Probably a pair of 5" would have been better. You'll need to keep the 7" pair farther from the wall too. Try them out, if they don't work for you, return them. If you opt for a pair of 5" monitors, i would go with the JBL's though. If you can get them (the 7" Yamahas) set up in your room without any issues, keep them, they should be excellent monitors.
That's what I'll likely do. Amazon.ca has some cheap ones too.

The size is actually more reasonable now. I cleared some stuff on my desk so now it's only my iMac, Mbox and monitors. I have about a foot between them and the well. I might just move my desk back a little bit. Smaller speakers would be more convenient, but honestly right now my recording setup trumps everything. I'm gonna keep these. I tested them out briefly, and they sound so damn good. So good. I'll probably invest in some foam stands later.

Also now my desk is super minimalistic and sexy. It wasn't a deciding factor, but these speakers are beautiful.

Thanks for the insight. Spacing is fine between the speakers I think. I haven't noticed any distortion from the desk yet, but I need to listen to them more. As I said I'll probably get some foam pads which will help. (Once I find cheaper ones, I refuse to pay $70 like some companies are asking holy shit).

And if I don't buy monoprice, amazon has some decent ones for $10 :)

Regarding the desk, also make sure the desk itself doesn't cause vibration or resonance when the speakers are placed directly on the desk, without a rubber stand or something.
Above ^^ :)

Thanks so much everyone! Can't wait to go back to some of my old recordings and make em sound awesome :)

The reason why i made the distinction, is because there are eurorack modules for many things, that have nothing or little to do with modular CV gear, which was what he was informing about and why he brought up the MS20. I have two Slim Phatties, they fit into eurorack, but i would hardly call them modular synths. The other way around, you have modular gear which does not (have to) fit inside eurorack.

Of course it is when you are aiming for a modular system, i never said it wasn't, as will be clear from my post you were refering to.

Anyway, i don't want this to become a semantics discussion. The reason why i said that, is because the way he posed his question, and within the context given, it seemed like he might not have been fully aware that eurorack does not equal modular synthesis or modular synthesis does not equal eurorack. But if that MS20 doesn't work out, he can always look into these little beauts: http://cluboftheknobs.com/systems_2015.html ;-)

I missed some of these posts sorry because my ms20 is still in transmit.

Yeah I am interested in two things: modular synths, and analog. I watched a YouTube vid made by some guy (who only shows his hands) that explained how to make a decent stab at ms20 sound, with a bunch of carefully chosen modules.
Of course the drawback of that route was expense and just following someone else's plan somewhat blindly.
But the ms20 seems semi modular so either I will enjoy mucking around with it, or not, and at little cost to find out, really (sitting at an iMac all day for work means sitting at digital synth software on the same screen, for fun, is really unappealing).

Then if it tickles my whatever's I can buy a euro case and a level converter and go that way, or buy something from Dave smith and go that way, or just stick to my piano lessons using the iPad, which has been fun as well and a good way to keep the kids interested in music - because they are determined to stay ahead of dad lol.

ozfunghi

I have a question... has anybody here tried Baboom, either as a user or as an artist?

@Jellies_two, that's basically what i meant to say in my first post on the topic.

Fusebox

Banned
At the end of the day I think I just need to buy any set of monitors, and start mixing. My recordings will benefit greatly over mixing from my headphones, no matter what brand I buy.

This is so true. It really doesn't matter what monitors you get (within reason) the real art is knowing exactly how tracks should sound on your monitors. Learn your monitors, be one with your monitors. Become intimate with how your biggest, fave produced retail tracks sound on your monitors. I learnt mixing and production on Behringer Truths 2031As and don't regret it at all, I've since moved on to a set of Yammy HS80s and they're great. Had to use the frequency switches to roll off a smidge of treble and bass to correct for my room but I can't see myself replacing them anytime.

Good choice! Surprised you've gone this long without monitors man, enjoy.

I spent another weekend dicking with Korg Gadget. It's my new DAW! lol

ozfunghi

I have a question... has anybody here tried Baboom, either as a user or as an artist?

So to answer my own question, i've set up an account on Baboom:

https://baboom.com/puncheur

The so-called "fair-trade" music store for mainly indie musicians. Already sold the (only) track i added one time, lol. I think it was bought by the founder of Baboom as the sale was at the same time he started following me... so i think he does this for all new members or something, haha.

That's what I'll likely do. Amazon.ca has some cheap ones too.

The size is actually more reasonable now. I cleared some stuff on my desk so now it's only my iMac, Mbox and monitors. I have about a foot between them and the well. I might just move my desk back a little bit. Smaller speakers would be more convenient, but honestly right now my recording setup trumps everything. I'm gonna keep these. I tested them out briefly, and they sound so damn good. So good. I'll probably invest in some foam stands later.

Also now my desk is super minimalistic and sexy. It wasn't a deciding factor, but these speakers are beautiful.

Thanks for the insight. Spacing is fine between the speakers I think. I haven't noticed any distortion from the desk yet, but I need to listen to them more. As I said I'll probably get some foam pads which will help. (Once I find cheaper ones, I refuse to pay $70 like some companies are asking holy shit).

Thanks so much everyone! Can't wait to go back to some of my old recordings and make em sound awesome :)

You're welcome any help I'm happy to provide. Btw got any spare books, they'll do as substitutes for the foam pads for a while... Just make sure they're level with each other. Also important is distance. The distance between speakers should ideally be the same as the sitting distance from either monitor to you. I'll try and find a reference pic.

Fusebox

Banned
Oooooh, Ozone 7 already. Those new vintage modules and the cheap upgrade to the Music Production Bundle for only $249 is really tempting!

Falk

that puzzling face
It only feels like yesterday I pimped my ride with Ozone 4 and RX2.

I think Ozone 4 is old enough at this point that I can justify pulling the trigger on the upgrade considering it's the same price for all previous versions.

I've been experimenting with tape simulation software and I ended up grabbing TB Reelbus. I'm really pleased with the sound, although it can over-saturate the high end if you're not careful.

ozfunghi

I've been experimenting with tape simulation software and I ended up grabbing TB Reelbus. I'm really pleased with the sound, although it can over-saturate the high end if you're not careful.

I made something with it, it ended up sounding a bit like 70s Italian prog rock.

Not sure what to think of this, lol. Parts i like, parts i don't. But better than the previous one you posted :)

Top Bottom