• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Tenki

Argh, the level 9 in Super Mario (the one where you have to get 10 lives jumping over a Koopa) is impossible. I always stop when I get to 8 lives :(

Tripon

I'm absolutely loving this title so far but I've already resigned to the fact that I will NOT be able to rainbow every level. There's just no damn way I'll have the patience to do it. Good luck to those that do though... Some of them seem impossible.

Getting those coins in Mario Bros with two characters??? I finally finished it with 00:01. Screw that level.

I think we'll see better scores, when they put in pro controller support. The gamepad is nice, but when I have a giant TV, that's what I want to play it on, and my preferred controller is the pro controller.

Kinsei

Banned
Managed to rainbow Zelda, Golf, Wrecking Crew, and Pinball today.

zlCfzRRcIVUoF--6WM

zlCfzRRkiY4Iq_x8m9

zlCfzRRlQVkTHppkSk

zlCfzRRlsxM2MmbAzF

I plan on going back and doing the other games I've already completed after I rainbow Clu Clu Land.

leroidys

Managed to rainbow Zelda, Golf, Wrecking Crew, and Pinball today.

I plan on going back and doing the other games I've already completed after I rainbow Clu Clu Land.

What's the trick to rainbow Wrecking Crew 9? That's the only non-remix I have left and I can't figure it out.

Kinsei

Banned
How did you do the last golf stage

You want to stop it a few notches before reaching max power and a few notches before the white zone. It'll take some trial and error but you should get it eventually.

What's the trick to rainbow Wrecking Crew 9? That's the only non-remix I have left and I can't figure it out.

Race to the ladder at the far left and destroy it first. Afterwards all you need to so is head right and destroy each ladder as you come to them.

Downhome

You know, what they should do is keep this on the Wii U but release a totally different one for the 3DS called Game Boy Remix.

You know, what they should do is keep this on the Wii U but release a totally different one for the 3DS called Game Boy Remix.

I really hope this does well and turns into a "genre".

Like SNES Remix

or NES-Capcom Remix.

Pretty much like Theatrythm

Bog

Junior Ace
I 2.7'd "defeat a powerful enemy" in SMB. Maybe it's possible to do it faster, but I can't imagine how.

Ryuuga

Banned
This actually looks quite entertaining. I was watching a hitbox streamer curse constantly trying to attempt the 10,000 goal pinball stage.

leroidys

I 2.7'd "defeat a powerful enemy" in SMB. Maybe it's possible to do it faster, but I can't imagine how.

That's crazy. I can't break 3.3 . What's your trick on Lakitu?

This... has to happen. Mole Mania, DK 94, Pokemon, Link's Awakening, Wario Land... Good lord.
Guys.

Ice Climber is terrible.

Yep :(

The only one of these games that is impossible to enjoy today, IMO.

leroidys

You want to stop it a few notches before reaching max power and a few notches before the white zone. It'll take some trial and error but you should get it eventually.

Race to the ladder at the far left and destroy it first. Afterwards all you need to so is head right and destroy each ladder as you come to them.

Derppppp. I forgot that the levels wrap around. I feel amazingly stupid now. Thanks for the tip!

On the bright side, I just rainbow'd every main game and Remix I! Only Bonus and Remix II left, I think.

EDIT: Ugh Link Donkey Kong is some fucking bullshit. First un-fun level in the game.

Cranzor

Yep :(

The only one of these games that is impossible to enjoy today, IMO.

There is a certain level of charm to it, I think. Like, I can see the potential for it but MAN. The controls are atrocious, the hit detection is incredibly poor, and some of the mechanics just don't seem that well thought out. Why do I bounce from a wall every time I jump into one? Wrestling with the game and trying to get a hold on it is actually kind of fun though. I can't help but laugh when I make a horrible jump or go straight through the corner of a platform.

I've had a blast poking fun at the game on Miiverse though and reading other posts.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not a fan of Clu Clu Land. Going to take an age to rainbow it. Especially that grab 40 gems one.

I'm stuck at stage 9 for Super Mario Bros. It's the life trick where you have to gather 10 lives, but I can only get 8. I've tried everything... :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've already rainbow'd DK but I suppose if one wants to get the best times possible you'd have to study the rules of what influences where the barrels roll.

Bought it yesterday, this game is really great.
Stuff like Balloon Fight and DK Jr. hasn't aged very well, but in these short bites are still enjoyable. Will definitely download the full Exitebike from VC though, so much fun.

Alec

Got all the stars yesterday. Nothing happened.

i-dont-know-what-i-expected.gif

By this point, I absolutely hate this game and will do my best to never play an NES game of any kind ever again.

matthwq

Banned
Stuff like Balloon Fight and DK Jr. hasn't aged very well, but in these short bites are still enjoyable. Will definitely download the full Exitebike from VC though, so much fun.

Aw, I like Balloon Fight. One of the few launch-era NES games (OUTER SPACE BOX!!!) that I enjoy to this day, even though the controls are poopy (Nintendo Land got Balloon Fight right).

zroid

Banned

Get the 3D Classics version if you can. Costs a buck or two more I think, but it's awesome

Aw, I like Balloon Fight. One of the few launch-era NES games (OUTER SPACE BOX!!!) that I enjoy to this day, even though the controls are poopy (Nintendo Land got Balloon Fight right).

I think once you get used to the "B" controls of Balloon Fight, it's not so bad. The "A" controls have and always will suck though. :p

Kung Fu was not actually from Nintendo. Only published.

It was from Irem, and considering that they recently died, and de-listed their digital content across various services, means that they are a shoe-in to never appear in this.

Not to mention that Kung Fu was originally based on Jackie Chan's Spartan-X/Meals on Wheels.

So basically, don't expect it.

Irem isn't dead, they're just primarily a slot-machine and pachinko developer now. It's true their video game division was largely wound up, but they have released a couple of 3DS titles in the past 2 years or so, based on their pachislots. They also return some of their TurboGrafx games to the Virtual Console earlier this year, so it's quite possible the rest of their stuff may eventually return.

Having said that, I still wouldn't expect their content to be part of any future expansions to Remix, not at this stage.

Tom_Cody

I am really enjoying the hell out of this.

The first time I sat down with it I fell into a mode of merely grinding through the levels/stars. After that first play-session I decided to just play the games in whatever order felt natural to me at any given moment, almost as if I was browsing my virtual console folder on my 3DS/Wii/Wii-U. I have found that pacing to be a lot more enjoyable. I had played a lot these games when I was a kid and I have continued to revisit them since then, and yet this collection has somehow given me the ability to enjoy these games from new angles.

Somehow I had never fully understood the mechanics of excite bike.
-I always used to hold back going off jumps to get maximum air (angling down/right is faster) and I additionally never knew that landing at an angle slowed you down. I had previously thought that achieving fast times was simple a matter of landing on ramps properly, not crashing, and fully optimizing your turbo usage.

Somehow I had never fully grasped the controls of Mario Bros.
-The momentum in the game is wonky but consistent; shifts in momentum are the entire key to the controls. If you want to rise one level to the one above, the eastiest/fastest way to do this is to shift directions and jump. In a lot of ways it feels similar to doing a "side somersault" in Mario 64. My play in Mario Bros. improved drastically once I made the Mario 64 connection. I went from confused struggles to 3/3 on all of the levels (with a handful of rainbow stars).
TK36tt9.jpg

Somehow I had never fully grasped the controls of Balloon Fight.
-As with Mario Bros., shifts in momentum are the entire key to the controls. You really need to be one step of ahead in all of your movements.

One more note: somehow I had never made the connection that Balloon Fight has almost exactly the same Mario Bros- injury enemies and then take them out while avoiding lightning/fireballs.

I think once you get used to the "B" controls of Balloon Fight, it's not so bad. The "A" controls have and always will suck though. :p
This. Use B and not A and you will have a much better time. Also, as I mentioned above, just keep in mind that you need to manage your momentum and think one step ahead.

leroidys

Get the 3D Classics version if you can. Costs a buck or two more I think, but it's awesome

There's also a fully fledged 8bit sequel on WiiWare that's supposed to be good.

Kinsei

Banned
I got all of the rainbow stars on Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong, D.K JR, Mario Bros, and Balloon Fight. Now I just have Ice Climber (Such a terrible game) and the remixes left.

ghibli99

Probably answered elsewhere, but besides bragging rights (and self-induced insanity), do you get anything for all of the rainbow stars?

Shauni

Guys.

Ice Climber is terrible.

Haha yeah, I feel the same. Playing games in these bite sized bits probably isn't the best representation of them, but good god, I hate just about everything in that section. I'm not hugely fond of Mario Bros, either. I love all the other games, though.

zroid

Banned
Haha yeah, I feel the same. Playing games in these bite sized bits probably isn't the best representation of them, but good god, I hate just about everything in that section. I'm not hugely fond of Mario Bros, either. I love all the other games, though.

Ice Climbers is actually less fun when you're playing the game proper, if you can believe it

Shauni

$15 does sound expensive for what most are probably envisioning, but really, there is a lot of content into this collection. I feel like I've got my money's worth, and I still have a few games to unlock.

Downloaded the game today and man, it's really great. Didn't expect that much content either.

Going for the 3 stars in the first run. Rainbow in the second run. :p

mstevens

Picked this game up this morning... I like it! I had an NES when I was a kid, but never had Balloon Fight, Tennis, Donkey Kong Jr (or 3), Pinball, Clu Clu Land, Urban Champion or Wrecking Crew. It's nice to be able to learn how to play these games.

Haven't gotten any Rainbow stars yet, and I can't imagine doing some of these any faster.. seems like going for all the rainbows might be too crazy for me.

crusnik

Neo Member
I wasn't sure I'd be into this, but I picked it up for a bit of NES nostalgia.

It's very fun. There is no world where I want to play Donkey Kong for extended periods of time, but it's pretty fun in these bite size challenges. Same goes for a bunch of these games.

This game is fun to play with other people, passing around the controller. It makes for some funny moments.

I hope Nintendo continues to pump out eShop games that make for nice off-tv play. So far, NES Remix, and upcoming Dr Luigi.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, fuck Pinball.

I spent hours doing the 10,000 Points/Avoid Lava Remix, the ball would always just fall into the lava on its own and there was nothing I could do about it. I finally got lucky when it kept getting stuck on the middle bumper and kept bouncing through the 1000 slot, but even then there were multiples times it just dropped right down in-between the bumpers.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh man, the Ice Climbers level where it switched to the Game Boy filter was neat, and then at the end
it goes Virtual Boy

No reward for getting all the stars? Lol, fuck the rest of this game then. I'm playing something else!

Well, there has to be a point in every game where completion becomes completion for completion's sake with no outside reward.

Not seeing the big deal, although I'm wondering what's the max # of Stars needed to unlock every level?

Top Bottom