• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nestle Pays Only $524 to Extract 27,000,000 Gallons of California Drinking Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
In 100 years our ancestors will talk about Nestle the same way we talk about the Nazis!

..To deny they did anything wrong? You know, those kind of shady spinsters who somehow exist. It irks me because I'm part German and Polish. ):

I can unfortunately see that. "They just invested and took advantage of a great opportunity!"

Give it like 20-30 years, Nestle will soon be seeing this on the horizon...

MV4oM2X.jpg

I only drink Dasani
Coca-Cola products are my weakness

But seriously this is pretty shitty of Nestle, especially during droughts.

Tripon

Why isn't anyone doing anything to protect our water?
Water rights in California date back to before CA was a state.

It's basically was a 3rd rail type of issue for the entire existence for California, and its only taking the drought for CA to finally focus on it.

But Nestle, if water isn't a human right and corporations are people...doesn't that mean you too don't have a right to that water?

/PhysiologicRaptor

antonz

Water rights in California date back to before CA was a state.

It's basically was a 3rd rail type of issue for the entire existence for California, and its only taking the drought for CA to finally focus on it.

Yeah but in the case of like Nestle they are literally stealing water. The permit to extract water expired 27 years ago and California leadership has turned a blind eye to it

MC Safety

This stinks because Nestle produces Nestle Splash, a flavored water that is pretty awesome.

It claims to be zero calories, too.

But I guess water has to be public or private, and either way people are going to take exception to the ideas that you can either: 1) own a water source or 2) corporations are allowed to take public water and sell it to a mass market.

Darren870

I don't even understand why anyone in the western world is drinking bottled water as it is. I understand if you thirsty and don't have a bottle on you because you are on the go, but really? Bottled water?

Even outside the western world I travel with a UV water purifier. Have used it all in Asia and South America. It was like $70 and has saved me heaps of cash and time. Only time I don't use it is when the water comes out brown, just because it will taste crappy. Still kills the bacteria.

I've always tried to avoid nestle though, mostly for their plam plantations and 0 craps given about the Orangutans

Nestlé was banned at my University, if you were seen with one of their products you were asked by staff to get rid if it.
No smoking on campus. No drinking on campus. No Nestlé on campus.

...this was because of their shady practice in Africa of convincing mothers to give up breast feeding in favour of their baby formula.
The company is pretty evil.

Zynx

Wow, I don't know what to say. Whoever's allowing this to continue should be fired/recalled/whatever.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
A big issue with Nestle is it's hard to even boycott them since it's hard to even tell what they own. They've got their hands in, like, 50% of a grocery store and most aren't even labeled as Nestle

Yeah. I think this is a very good example of why boycotts and the free market thing don't work for large corporations like Nestle. It's too difficult to avoid their food products and even there they also own shares in companies like L'oreal.

Y'know, I remember making fun of Quantum of Solace because the idea of a megalomaniacal evil corporation privatizing water was the stupidest thing I had ever heard of.

And now we're here. Fuck off Nestle.

Dead

well not really...yet
Y'know, I remember making fun of Quantum of Solace because the idea of a megalomaniacal evil corporation privatizing water was the stupidest thing I had ever heard of.

lol yes. Even when it was released I was saying shit was way less outlandish than any other Bond plot ever and had at least some root in reality.

Miracle

Bur if an evil corporation that privatizes water exists, then that means James Bond exists too!

We need a double O to get on this now!

I've read about nestle in BC and the various ploys from other dick companies that want to haul the great lakes water out etc. It's disgusting that they are even allowed to do this to begin with, 1 million litres for $2.25.... what the fuck!!!! The dicks should at very least be paying the same costs involved to a home owner when they open a tap! Fuck me the government makes me sick with how much they lick corporate assholes!

Fucking unreal, yet we have droughts everywhere and our fucker govt tells us to conserve water etc, piss off!

Dazza

Shame that more people don't boycott Nestle correctly. I've seen people refuse to buy Nestle water only to buy Poland Spring Water. Guess what...Nestle distributes Poland Spring.

LOL, yeah there really aren't many food and drink suppliers nowadays, best just to steer away from all processed or packaged food products altogether

Delio

Never understood why people buy bottled water. Fill up a bottle at home, or in a public washroom, whatever, don't buy a bunch of plastic bottles of water at a ridiculous mark up only to throw them all out.

Big-E

Nestle gets away with this all over the world, not just in California. I think they pay 20 dollars for taking millions of liters in BC.

I'm not sure how it works in the USA but a large amount of our water charges here in Australia are actually for the collection or processing of waste water more than the provision of water itself. The powers that be see little cost in a company collecting water themselves as they incur no direct expense to pass on. It's when governments/cities/councils etc have to do something with waste water they want to charge hefty prices for their services.

I don't agree with it but it's how political bean counters and law or by-laws around permits or resources usage are often formulated. Still shady as fuck by Nestle and Cali powers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom