• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nestle Pays Only $524 to Extract 27,000,000 Gallons of California Drinking Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburt

Watch the documentary "Tapped"

The bottled water industry has lots of players that make it a point to exploit the hell out of any cheap water source they can from anywhere they can. And it seems lots of laws are outdated in enough areas that they will just pump the shit out of water sources for cheap or free and people can't do shit about it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I have a refillable steel bottle. It works very well.

I had a black Kleen Kanteen, but the paint started chipping and then I lost it after a few years.

I got another one, but one without paint. :]

580289_480285708677755_1459649519_n.jpg
Pretty good. I only buy one or two of their products on rare occasions.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Mistake

Gold Member
There was a long time battle in Fryeburg Maine that was lost. Nestle kept suing until the town had to cave I guess. I had no idea Poland Spring was theirs, and don't understand why people buy bottled water either. Anyone see how crazy people get when they hear it's going to rain a lot? All the bottled water flies off the shelves so fast it's ridiculous. For rain! Nestle may be a shitty company, but we bring this problem on ourselves, and like the draught in California, cry when it's too late.

lenos16

Ah, water, truly the most important resource of this century. I can already see the countries going to war over accessible drinking water in a few decades.

Walpurgis

Banned
I have a refillable steel bottle. It works very well.

I had a black Kleen Kanteen, but the paint started chipping and then I lost it after a few years.

I got another one, but one without paint. :]

Pretty good. I only buy one or two of their products on rare occasions.

Holy shit, I'm eating Nestle right now. D:

Walpurgis

Banned
Nestle is evil but they are a corporation in a capitalist society. Rampant greed and selfishness from these types are to be expected. What isn't expected and shouldn't be condoned are governments standing by while this happens. We had the same issue with Nestle in B.C. How could a people's government charge corporations $2.25 for one million litres of water while charging their citizens hundreds times that rate?

derFeef

Nestle is a fun company. They pump water in a nice town, only to sell it back to those people who live there (which they could have for free...)

Not surprised at all. Welcome to modern corporate capitalism.
I like what Thomas Jefferson said "I hope we shall take warning from the example and crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and to bid defiance to the laws of their country."

Y'know, I remember making fun of Quantum of Solace because the idea of a megalomaniacal evil corporation privatizing water was the stupidest thing I had ever heard of.

And now we're here. Fuck off Nestle.

But the permit is from 30 years ago? And they don't own the water source?

klonere

Banned
I'm glad they are providing great value for their shareholders. A diligent and responsible company that looks to create profit opportunities at any turn and in turn give back with strong job creation. Truly a flagship corporation whose example should be followed by any other Late Capitalist organization.

El Topo

Water isnt a human right?

In all fairness, isn't that technically the official stance of the US?

I remember that several countries (e.g. US, UK, Canada, Australia) abstained from voting on (or even worked against) the UN resolution to declare water a human right in 2010.

In all fairness, isn't that technically the official stance of the US?

I remember that several countries (e.g. US, UK, Canada, Australia) abstained from voting on (or even worked against) the UN resolution to declare water a human right in 2010.

Positive rights are pretty controversial if they're to be meaningful. The idea of a right isn't really "something you can do" or "something you have" but rather "something no one can stop you doing or having". So when you put it in terms of positive things - ie you having water - then your "right" to water naturally compels someone else to action. If you have a right to water, and rights are inviolable, then someone is obligated to provide it to you. This is as opposed to, say, free speech or freedom of asociation, where you having it doesn't require action from anyone else. This is why, IMO, things like internet access cannot be considered a "right", because that suggests anyone without it is having their rights violated. I think it's worth separating, though, the idea of everything a government provides being a right. I think governments should provide primary and secondary education to everyone, but I don't think it's a right.

Patrol

Banned
Wow. While I agree it's important to address issues like this, no less especially in the context of the absurd smugness of "we paid little over half a thousand to extract 27 million gallons so we're good" attitude. But the state really needs to hit the nail on the biggest water wasters/users in the agriculture communities.

Moofers

Let's remember that the CEO said he wants to see the world's water go privatized.

http://www.trueactivist.com/nestle-ceo-water-is-not-a-human-right-should-be-privatized/

I'm not even kidding when I say that motherfuckers like that should just be executed. With the power and connections they have, its only a matter of time before they are presented with the opportunity to step on the throats of other people in the name of profit. I dont even know how those people manage to function in society, they're subhumans with no concept of community or the greater good. How long before we have a worldwide drought and these guys are pulling shit like this at the cost of lives?

And I know, calling for somebody's death doesn't say much for my humanity either, but these people are straight up evil motherfuckers and the world would be better without them in it.

Cyan

Banned
Positive rights are pretty controversial if they're to be meaningful. The idea of a right isn't really "something you can do" or "something you have" but rather "something no one can stop you doing or having". So when you put it in terms of positive things - ie you having water - then your "right" to water naturally compels someone else to action. If you have a right to water, and rights are inviolable, then someone is obligated to provide it to you. This is as opposed to, say, free speech or freedom of asociation, where you having it doesn't require action from anyone else. This is why, IMO, things like internet access cannot be considered a "right", because that suggests anyone without it is having their rights violated. I think it's worth separating, though, the idea of everything a government provides being a right. I think governments should provide primary and secondary education to everyone, but I don't think it's a right.

Water rights in California in particular are notably complex and contentious. Have been since the founding of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom