• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Watched The Summit yesterday, it was pretty good. The best mountain-climbing documentary award still goes to Touching the Void (also on Netflix) though, I don't think that story will ever be topped.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
MIB 3 is pretty great. FAR superior to the dreck that was MIB 2. I'd say it's almost par for the course with the first in the series. I definitely recommend it.

The second one was the reason I was kinda iffy on watching the third movie. I will give it a watch now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Young Doctor's Notebook (TV Miniseries, Comedy, Drama)
Bad Milo! (Indie, Comedy, Horror)
Best Man Down (Indie, Drama)
Cult (TV, Crime, Drama)
Dance Academy: Series 3 (TV, Teen, Drama)
Paris Countdown (Thriller, Crime, Foreign)
Wishmaster 1, 2, 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell, 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled (Horror, Supernatural)

Canada:

Dance Academy: Series 2 (TV, Teen, Drama)
North Sea Texas (Drama, Gay & Lesbian, Foreign)
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (Family, Adventure)

Mexico:

Akeelah and the Bee (Drama)
First Born (Indie, Thriller)
Older Than America (Indie, Thriller)
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 1 (Drama, Romantic)
Videodrome (Horror)

UK:

American Graffiti (Drama, Comedy)
Black Christmas ('74, Horror, Slasher)
The Best Man (Romantic, Comedy)

Added today:

A Young Doctor's Notebook (TV Miniseries, Comedy, Drama)
Bad Milo! (Indie, Comedy, Horror)
Best Man Down (Indie, Drama)
Cult (TV, Crime, Drama)
Dance Academy: Series 3 (TV, Teen, Drama)
Paris Countdown (Thriller, Crime, Foreign)
Wishmaster 1, 2, 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell, 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled (Horror, Supernatural)

Oh shit!
lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Oh shit!
lol

These are pretty cheesy but fun movies. Will probably watch a couple of them over the weekend.

All movies I'm planning to watch this weekend. I vaguely remember the Wishmaster movies. Although, I don't think I ever seen the third and fourth ones.

First season of Hannibal is now up in Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

Aww shit. Finally get to see what the fuss is about.

Edit- Interesting piece of news:

People really aren't joking when they talk about binge watching House of Cards. According to a study by Procera Networks, about two percent of all Netflix streaming subscribers in the US finished the series' new season over its debut weekend. Based on Netflix's most recent user numbers, that means around 668,000 people watched the season's 13 episodes across just three days. European subscribers may have had more self-control, however, as only about one percent are reported to have finished the series before the weekend was over.

Since Netflix generally does not release its own viewership numbers, the exact statistics can't be confirmed. But Procera says that it worked with "several worldwide broadband networks" to gather the data, and it's done quite a bit of analysis on Netflix traffic in the past.

Procera also found one other particularly interesting detail about House of Cards' release: despite its popularity, overall traffic from Netflix remained about the same as on any other weekend. It seems that Netflix's original content may not lead to more viewers on a given weekend, just to its existing viewers to watching a lot of single piece of content. Specifically, it found that the average House of Cards viewer in the US watched three episodes last weekend, and the average viewer in Europe watched five. That's by no means bad news for Netflix. Procera reports that somewhere between 5 to 15 percent of all viewers watched at least one episode last weekend, and that's all Netflix wants — a show that plenty of people want to watch.

Thread.

Kagey K

Banned
Finally. I haven't even watched the first part, been waiting for all of it to be available.

If you use a region unblocker they were all available on Netflix UK the night after airing along with the episodes of Talking Bad that followed them. S5pt2 was the only Breaking Bad I waited week after week for rather than waiting and binge watching them.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If you use a region unblocker they were all available on Netflix UK the night after airing along with the episodes of Talking Bad that followed them. S5pt2 was the only Breaking Bad I waited week after week for rather than waiting and binge watching them.

Amen. I did the same. I will probably doing with their spin off show if it turns out to be good.

First season of Hannibal is now up in Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

Just a warning for the people that prefer subtitles.

A lot of people, including me when I tried watching without, have issues with understanding Mads Mikkelsens accent. Of course you can try, but just a heads up.

Kagey K

Banned
Amen. I did the same. I will probably doing with their spin off show if it turns out to be good.

I'm still skeptical about "better call Saul" but it could be very good if done right. I'm going to wait and see a few episodes before I judge it.

Just a warning for the people that prefer subtitles.

A lot of people, including me when I tried watching without, have issues with understanding Mads Mikkelsens accent. Of course you can try, but just a heads up.

It took me about 3 episodes before I could understand what he was saying. lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A League of Ordinary Gentlemen (Documentary, Social, Sports/Bowling)
Bigger, Stronger, Faster (Documentary, Sports, Cultural/Steroids)
Crazy Love (Documentary, Crime)
DreamWorks Presents: Mr. Peabody & Sherman - A Journey WABAC (Family, Animation)
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (Documentary, Crime, Cultural)
Jesus Camp (Documentary, Faith)
Marriage Boot Camp: Bridezillas (TV, Reality)
Mr. Untouchable (Documentary, Biographical/Nicky Barnes)
Surfwise (Documentary, Biographical/Dorian "Doc" Paskowitz)

Canada:

DreamWorks Presents: Mr. Peabody & Sherman - A Journey WABAC (Family, Animation)

Sweden:

Hannibal - Season 1 (TV, Drama)
TaleSpin (TV, Kids)
Winnie the Pooh ('11, Family, Animation)

jakncoke

Banned
I watched that Bigger Stronger Faster earlier today, pretty interesting documentary. I also just watched the smithsonian titanoboa doc also very interesting, ancient life was wild

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Both of these are fascinating & essential in very different ways.

Enron documentary was fascinating. I wasn't too familiar with the Enron story, as the bankruptcy happen when I was just entering high school. I have always thought it was insider trading. I didn't know the extent to which Enron played and deceived its investors and the nation.

The most crazy thing was Enron/traders fucking around with California's power grid. How the heck could anyone let them mess around with people's lives like that? That is insane to me.

Fully recommend this documentary.

Edwardo

Not exactly a netflix question, but since I was asking about martial arts movies..

Since i've seen Ip Man, is The Grandmaster a good one to watch as well?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Not exactly a netflix question, but since I was asking about martial arts movies..

Since i've seen Ip Man, is The Grandmaster a good one to watch as well?

Is that the Bollywood film one? Looks to be more thriller than martial arts.

Fearless
Shaolin Soccer (not purely a martial arts film, but still a great comedy/kung fu movie)
Red Cliff
Chocolate
Ninja 2

Is that the Bollywood film one? Looks to be more thriller than martial arts.

Fearless
Shaolin Soccer (not purely a martial arts film, but still a great comedy/kung fu movie)
Red Cliff
Chocolate
Ninja 2

On US Netflix, Red Cliff is the shortened version, not the huge epic. Shaolin Soccer is the butchered US version as well, where about 20 minutes is chopped out for no reason, and they change the music.

The original Shaolin Soccer is so much fun though. Just find the Hong Kong version.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Expires on March 1st:

Jacob's Ladder.
Highlander.
Black Snake Moan.
Hustle and Flow.

Speaking of Jacob's Ladder, I re-watched a few nights ago, still an amazing mind fuck of a film. Love it. Watch it if you haven't seen it.

It was. But I think they chickened out with making
Jake Gyllenhaal's character survive. Would have been more poetic if the two bros died together :(

But that wedding dance. Amazing stuff.

Nah.
If they both died then it's sad but not as tragic. With his surviving, it really drives home the emotions involved in dangerous work like that. I don't think I've ever seen a movie do such a good job at making the viewer feel the dedication of the characters and the loss one feels when losing a brother at arms. It's pretty hard to watch it and not feel like Gyllenhaal's character must be absolutely ruined by the end.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jake Gyllenhaal's character survive. Would have been more poetic if the two bros died together :(

Nah.
If they both died then it's sad but not as tragic. With his surviving, it really drives home the emotions involved in dangerous work like that. I don't think I've ever seen a movie do such a good job at making the viewer feel the dedication of the characters and the loss one feels when losing a brother at arms. It's pretty hard to watch it and not feel like Gyllenhaal's character must be absolutely ruined by the end.

I just watched it. Good movie.

I agree with Jest. The movie did a great job portraying their relationship. And it was sad seeing Jake's character go down and Michael trying to keep him alive.

The ending was a little over the top I thought. But overall, I enjoyed it. Jake and Michael were excellent in this.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I didn't buy either of them as LAPD... and I generally dislike cop culture, so the movie was a miss for me. After watching I rated it two stars.

Oh yeah, Gyllenhaal and Pena were great in that. Might've been the first time i actually liked Gyllenhaal in anything. I could watch a whole movie of those two guys talking to each other in the car, those scenes were my favorite parts

Vyer

It could go either way for me.
I do admit that I agree that it really makes you feel for Gyllenhaal's character; viewers got hit with the impact of Pena thinking JG was dead, then both, then how destroyed he must have been at the funeral at the end. Quite a sequence.

What happened to the other cop and the rookie they rolled up on was pretty disturbing. Dude turned around and had a knife sticking out, I was like 'holy shit'.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Breaking Bad S5-part two (TV, Crime, Drama, Bitch)
Christmas Bounty (Action, Comedy)
The Last White Knight (Documentary, Biographical/Byron de la Beckwith, Cultural)
The Returned (TV, Crime, Drama)
Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor (Romantic, Comedy)

Canada:

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (Documentary, Biographical, Music)
Prince Avalanche (Indie, Drama, Comedy)

jred2k

End of Watch was much better than Harsh Times. It did a much better job of having the two mains actually feel like they cared about each other. I was surprised they actually managed to come off as sort of endearing. For the first half of the movie or so I just thought they would be power-abusing assholes.

End of Watch was much better than Harsh Times. It did a much better job of having the two mains actually feel like they cared about each other. I was surprised they actually managed to come off as sort of endearing. For the first half of the movie or so I just thought they would be power-abusing assholes.

Harsh Times was a more of a movie about a couple of guys who want to get out of the street life but find themselves much too attracted to the excitement and the drama of it. While both movies deal with Los Angeles inner city, the perspective and the stories were vastly different. So.. other than being gritty movies set in LA with main characters that are friends, I really don't think they should be compared. At least, not in the same way that one would compare say... Training Day and Street Kings.

Top Bottom