• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

The very final scene after (or during?) the credits is the best in End of Watch. The movie
at least ends with an upbeat outtake
. Fantastic chemistry between the duo.

komarkaze

The Returned is awesome! I'm glad more people will be able to watch it. They should add horror as a genre descriptor since it it involves the dead coming back to life. The show is like a mix of Twin Peaks and Lost except in French.

Another good piece of French content on Netflix is The Intouchables. It's a feel good story about a hustler who works for a paraplegic man, and they end up bonding because they treat each other like real people. My favorite movie bromance so far.

Chairhome

Added today:

Breaking Bad S5-part two (TV, Crime, Drama, Bitch)
Christmas Bounty (Action, Comedy)
The Last White Knight (Documentary, Biographical/Byron de la Beckwith, Cultural)
The Returned (TV, Crime, Drama) Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor (Romantic, Comedy)

Canada:

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (Documentary, Biographical, Music)
Prince Avalanche (Indie, Drama, Comedy)

Nice. Is this the french series? I've heard good things about this, been waiting for a way to watch it.

jred2k

Harsh Times was a more of a movie about a couple of guys who want to get out of the street life but find themselves much too attracted to the excitement and the drama of it. While both movies deal with Los Angeles inner city, the perspective and the stories were vastly different. So.. other than being gritty movies set in LA with main characters that are friends, I really don't think they should be compared. At least, not in the same way that one would compare say... Training Day and Street Kings.

I was more just thinking in terms of the main characters. Christian Bale's character in Harsh Times kind of felt like a caricature to me while Gylenhall and Pena felt more like people who would really exist in that world. I've never been anywhere close to South Central so I can't say how well I thought it actually reflected life there, I just think that End of Watch was the better David Ayer's movie.

I was more just thinking in terms of the main characters. Christian Bale's character in Harsh Times kind of felt like a caricature to me while Gylenhall and Pena felt more like people who would really exist in that world. I've never been anywhere close to South Central so I can't say how well I thought it actually reflected life there, I just think that End of Watch was the better David Ayer's movie.

Bale's character didn't feel over the top to me. He's a combination of character types that I've known before (albeit not combined in one person like he was) so it doesn't seem impossible to me. End of Watch is probably the more well rounded of the two movies though, so I'd agree that it's the better of the two movies when looking at it terms of Ayer's work.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just watched Grabbers. As an Irish person, I must say, that movie is Irish as fuuuuck. It's pretty funny. Recommended if you like dumb shit.

I put the movie on randomly one day, and was surprised at how enjoyable it was. It doesn't take itself seriously and like you said, it is funny.

FloatOn

Finished the second season of american horror story last night. It was so much better than the first.

Get on it if you haven't watched it yet.

Finished the second season of american horror story last night. It was so much better than the first.

Get on it if you haven't watched it yet.

Jessica Lange is amazing in the show.

She's also the only 65 year old woman that I look at and think, "Damn, she's hot"

With the exception of the 3rd season (not yet on Netflix), yes.

That had a lot of promise but, the writing for it was complete shite.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Short Subject Documentary Oscar Nominee ‘Lady in Number 6′ To Netflix

The Documentary Short subject Oscar nominee Lady in Number 6: How Music Saved My Life about the late Alice Herz Sommer, who died Sunday in a London hospital at the age of 110, has just been acquired by Netflix. Herz Sommer, a concert pianist, was the oldest living Holocaust survivor and had stayed alive in a Nazi concentration camp by giving piano recitals. Her mother and husband perished in Nazi camps. The documentary shares her very positive philosophy of life about how she maintained her happiness despite enduring pure evil.

Those wishing to see the picture can on do so on April 1 in the U.S. and Canada exclusively on Netflix.

I'll have to watch Jacob's Ladder before they remove it. I've heard great things and have been meaning to watch it.

Watched a couple of documentaries - checked out Cave of Forgotten Dreams since GAF recommended it and it was pretty good. Next I watched Reel Injun, which I thought was fantastic. Now I'm in the middle of The Act of Killing and it's a tough watch. I want to laugh at parts but I immediately stop myself since the dudes I want to laugh at have killed so many people.

I'll have to check out The Returned as well.

Anyone know of any shows on Netflix that are like Top of the Lake or The Fall? Those were two of my favorites from last year.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'll have to watch Jacob's Ladder before they remove it. I've heard great things and have been meaning to watch it.

Watched a couple of documentaries - checked out Cave of Forgotten Dreams since GAF recommended it and it was pretty good. Next I watched Reel Injun, which I thought was fantastic. Now I'm in the middle of The Act of Killing and it's a tough watch. I want to laugh at parts but I immediately stop myself since the dudes I want to laugh at have killed so many people.

I'll have to check out The Returned as well.

Anyone know of any shows on Netflix that are like Top of the Lake or The Fall? Those were two of my favorites from last year.

I loved the Act of Killing. Well made documentary.

The Fall - I would say check out Luther, The Following (not as well written), Damages. Luther is probably the closest to it.

I haven't seen TotL yet, so I can't recommend any shows for that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
boo...didn't realize amazon prime signed an exclusive deal for veronica mars :\ hopefully its just timed like some of the deals like with the fox shows

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
started American Horror Story. Is this show good, GAF?

edit: woah just saw the post above mine haha

My wife loves it. I like it a bit. I think it's pretty ballsy to do a horror serial anyway, seeing that stuff done on TV is a kick alone. I think it falls somewhere between campy fun and genuinely a bit fucked up. We're halfway through season 2 and having fun with it still. S1 is worth it for the amazingly hot maid alone. The old one that is. Aw yeaaaaah

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

An Afghan Love Story (Drama, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian, Foreign)
Blue Is the Warmest Color (Indie, Drama, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian)
Dead Before Dawn (Horror, Zombie, Supernatural)
Petunia (Indie, Drama, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Sword of the Assassin (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
The Guild (TV, Comedy)
The Wait (Indie, Drama, Romantic)

Canada:

Dragon Eyes (Action, Martial Arts)
Fighting for a Generation: 20 Years of the UFC (Documentary, Sports)
Petunia (Indie, Drama, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
The Fish Child (Indie, Drama, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian, Foreign)
The Guild (TV, Comedy)
The Gymnast (Indie, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian)

My wife loves it. I like it a bit. I think it's pretty ballsy to do a horror serial anyway, seeing that stuff done on TV is a kick alone. I think it falls somewhere between campy fun and genuinely a bit fucked up. We're halfway through season 2 and having fun with it still. S1 is worth it for the amazingly hot maid alone. The old one that is. Aw yeaaaaah

uh yeah I agree. Best thing about this first season is easily the maid character.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wishmaster: A good, campy, horror movie. The practical effects and designs are great. The use of CGI sucks and has aged terrible.

Hustle and Flow: Really good movie. A well written story and everyone in the cast brings their A game.

Jesus Camp: Horrifying look into overly religious adults and kids. The things that come out of their mouths will probably leave your head shaking, but it is fascinating.

Just finishing up House of Cards Season 2. It is good. One thing keeps bugging me about it....
The president is such a naive, bumbling, idiot. I know that Tusk put him there to control him but, man, he's unbelievably stupid. No matter who wants you there, I can't imagine anyone becoming the most powerful man in the free world if they're that dumb and naive.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Attila (Thriller, SciFi)
Kickin' It: Season 3 (TV, Kids)

Canada:

56 Up (Documentary, Cultural)
Night Wolf (Horror, Supernatural)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
From an instagram video posted on Netflix's account. Hitting in March:

Turbo
Archer S4
The Blair Witch Project
Pink: Truth About Love Tour
Valkyrie
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
Rectify S1

So awesome, I'm in for that first season. It'll bring back memories.

Probably what I'm most looking forward to. I loved the show growing up and I have tried watching it again over the years, but man, those sets are expensive.

Did all versions of Netflix remove the "Recently Added", "New Releases" sections from the PS3 app?, or is that just for Mexico?, it stinks... all i see are movie genres.

Did all versions of Netflix remove the "Recently Added", "New Releases" sections from the PS3 app?, or is that just for Mexico?, it stinks... all i see are movie genres.

All the non-computer apps seem like they remove one of the two or both on occasion. Perhaps depending on how often you use them?

Top Bottom