• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Well yeah, was just wondering whether people had any issues.

Just noticed that the subtitle blocker also blocks English subtitles, not entirely unexpected, and I assume you can turn it off when you want to, but I always turn on subtitles. Maybe it is simple enough to toggle it when I switch to a different country though.

For $2, can't hurt to check them out.

I hope it is a feature you can toggle on/off. I also have the subtitles on at all times.

Kaladin

Just kind of a funny rec considering one is about political corruption and the other is profile on a losing candidate in a Presidential election.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm up to episode 10 of HoC. Pretty good season so far. The first episodes were god tier. Middle kinda slowed down a bit. But it looks like it is going to finish strong.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My jaw dropped when that happen. I really liked her character too.

I should have seen that coming since it happened in the British version but I was still really disappointed.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I should have seen that coming since it happened in the British version but I was still really disappointed.

How is the British version? I avoided it thus far since I knew they were taking plot points and cues from it. I didn't want to spoil myself.

How is the British version? I avoided it thus far since I knew they were taking plot points and cues from it. I didn't want to spoil myself.

This is my problem too. I don't want to spoil or give myself ideas on what happens season 3 but I want to watch it!

amrod

For people who use Unblock-us

Argentina added to the Netflix Region Switcher

Dunno if there is anything on it that isnt in other regions

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
A lot of people seem to be down on HoC S2, but I thought it was a good season. The first season is better though. For me, S2 fell apart in the middle after a very strong first few episodes. The last three were great. The plot can sometimes get out of control, but I kinda liked it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

It has a very different tone, and the seasons are much shorter, but if you don't mind the dated feel of it it's actually a pretty good show. There's more humor in the UK version which I appreciated. In some ways I think it's better, it's certainly tighter plot-wise. It's pretty obvious what will happen in the US version if you watch the UK version, though. If you don't want to be spoiled, once the US version is finished I would recommend watching it. (that or only watch the corresponding seasons you've seen in the US version)

A lot of people seem to be down on HoC S2, but I thought it was a good season. The first season is better though. For me, S2 fell apart in the middle after a very strong first few episodes. The last three were great. The plot can sometimes get out of control, but I kinda liked it.

I enjoyed the second more than the first. Seemed faster paced and more focused to me. Also love Molly Parker, so that helped.

For people who use Unblock-us

Argentina added to the Netflix Region Switcher

Dunno if there is anything on it that isnt in other regions

Didn't even know they had Netflix there.

I have registered for Adfreetime yesterday. Works as good as Unblock-US, switching regions is easy. Subtitle blocker indeed also blocks English subtitles but is very easily to turn off and on.

No Argentina region, not that it matters to me.

And be careful, because the adblock is on by default I think. It makes sense with the name, but you can easily turn it off.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Crossing Lines (TV, Crime, Drama)
Random Acts of Violence (Indie, Comedy)
The City Dark (Documentary, Science/City Light Pollution)
Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year (Family, Adventure)
Violet & Daisy (Indie, Action, Comedy)

Canada:

The Four-Faced Liar (Comedy, Romantic)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Didn't even know they had Netflix there.

I have registered for Adfreetime yesterday. Works as good as Unblock-US, switching regions is easy. Subtitle blocker indeed also blocks English subtitles but is very easily to turn off and on.

No Argentina region, not that it matters to me.

And be careful, because the adblock is on by default I think. It makes sense with the name, but you can easily turn it off.

That is good to hear. Unblock expires for the month on Thursday for me. So I will give Adfreetime a shot.

You can turn subs off already, even if people think they can't.

mrgnome.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/no-option-to-turn-off-subtitles-in-netflix-how-to-solve/

Very true.

jred2k

Doing a rewatch of Trailer Park Boys, man it seems like everything is blurred. I dont recall this, but maybe my memory is bad.

I haven't watched the series in a while, but I seem to remember the first couple seasons having that weird Vaseline on the lens softness to it. I think season 3 or 4 was when their budget grew a bit and you can see an improvement in video quality.

No, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to follow that with three vague categories of movies that you may or may not be interested in watching at the time.

I see what you're saying, Max needs work yet but, to play devil's advocate....Couldn't one make the argument that if you know what category of movie you want to watch at the time then Max really isn't the tool for you?

Also, guys and gals, I'm in search of a really good mind trip movie. I'm thinking mind bending like Donnie Darko or Primer. Off the wall like a David Lynch film (I've seen all of the good ones multiple times) would work as well. Even something so gory it makes me question what kind of person I am to be watching it would work if it also makes you think a bit and isn't just gore for the sake of gore. Production value doesn't really matter that much but, I'd like to stay away from anything having below B level horror acting at the very least (of which Netflix has a lot of...lol)

Any recommendations?

EDIT: region doesn't matter either.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I see what you're saying, Max needs work yet but, to play devil's advocate....Couldn't one make the argument that if you know what category of movie you want to watch at the time then Max really isn't the tool for you?

Also, guys and gals, I'm in search of a really good mind trip movie. I'm thinking mind bending like Donnie Darko or Primer. Off the wall like a David Lynch film (I've seen all of the good ones multiple times) would work as well. Even something so gory it makes me question what kind of person I am to be watching it would work if it also makes you think a bit and isn't just gore for the sake of gore. Production value doesn't really matter that much but, I'd like to stay away from anything having below B level horror acting at the very least (of which Netflix has a lot of...lol)

Any recommendations?

Enter the Void (not sure if it's still on Netflix, but it's definitely worth seeking out)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Enter the Void (not sure if it's still on Netflix, but it's definitely worth seeking out)

Was about to say this. It is up in Canada if I'm not mistaken. (Edit- US actually)

Pi.
Time Crimes (I believe that is the name of it)
Jacob's Ladder

Haven't seem, but I heard good things:

Persona
Barton Fink (UK)
Requiem for a Dream (Canada)

jakncoke

Banned
I haven't watched the series in a while, but I seem to remember the first couple seasons having that weird Vaseline on the lens softness to it. I think season 3 or 4 was when their budget grew a bit and you can see an improvement in video quality.

You know in old wrestling tapes how they have to blur some the WF/WWF symbols now. Its like that. I dont recall this being the case my first run through, but its been 2-3 years since I watched the show.

Trippy on US:

Yeah, definitely Enter the Void
Antichrist
Melancholia
Pi
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Upstream Color
Jacob's Ladder
Irreversible
Samsara

Sometimes on US (not now), maybe other regions:

The Fountain
Scanner Darkly
Eraserhead
Paprika
Altered States
Triangle

I love these kinds of movies so I would like more suggestions as well!

jred2k

You know in old wrestling tapes how they have to blur some the WF/WWF symbols now. Its like that. I dont recall this being the case my first run through, but its been 2-3 years since I watched the show.

Oh you mean labels and stuff in the background? Yeah they couldn't afford the rights to any product labels(I assume) so they have to blur everything. I mainly always noticed it on liquor bottles, lol.

Vyer

I liked the first season a little more, but honestly my impression was probably influenced by how shocked I was this 'Netflix Originals' thing turned out to be such a high quality. S2 is still very strong.

Any recommendations?

I think Valhalla Rising is what you're looking for. Crazy, gory, and features the incomparable Mads Mikkelsen

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Valhalla_Rising/70120168?trkid=6076505

Kagey K

Banned
I was region switching last night and came across MIB 3 on Netflix Netherlands in case anyone is interested. Haven't seen it mentioned here.

I watched Super last night. Surprisingly good!

side note: Are they ever going to add the rest of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episodes to streaming?

I've been sorta binge-watching Fringe over the past few weeks after taking a break after season 2. Just started season 4, and I have to say it's a great watch. I'm enjoying the overall story, but I also find it incredibly annoying how the show gets bogged down by the procedural monster-of-the-week type storytelling.
For real, though, they find out that another universe exists and it's trying to destroy them, but they decide to first focus on this one guy who kidnapped a kid? Makes no sense to me. There are bigger priorities that should be dealt with first.

Top Bottom