• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Dr.Acula

Banned
Canadians! The Third Man has been released on Netflix!

Required viewing, period!

They also added Rambo 1, 2, and 3!

And Mad Men season 6!

And Jacob's Ladder! One of the finest psychological horror films ever!

Draconian

I'm pretty sure that it was originally supposed to be a Starz series, then they dropped it and Netflix picked it up. It sounds awesome considering all of those different locations they're filming in.

The first line has me worried. I hope netflix made it a little more HBO-y. Starz shows always seem to small or low budget. But the location shoots have me thinking Netflix is throwing some nice money at this.

I also love that they got a real italian actor along which Chinese stars to play their roles. Lends a lot of authenticity.

Samurai Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!

This is a pipe dream but maybe if enough people watch it, they finally get around to giving us
a proper ending
(spoilered just in case)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Aurangzeb (Action, Musical, Bollywood)
A Touch of Sin (Crime, Drama, Foreign)
Bastards (Indie, Thriller, Foreign)
Earth Made of Glass (Documentary, Cultural)
Everyday (Indie, Drama)
Let the Fire Burn (Documentary, Political)
Lost Girl: Season 3 (TV, Crime, Drama, Fantasy)
Pablo (Documentary, Biographical/Pablo Ferro)
When Jews Were Funny (Documentary, Comedy, Social)

WoodWERD

First suggested 'Top Picks' for me: Gossip Girl. Based on your interest in American Horror Story and Bates Motel. Huh, you don't say.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder what the hell is keeping CBS from putting MASH up on Netflix. Syndication deals? Does the show still sell really well on DVD?

I just want MASH, dammit. =/

The Internship (Canada) was a lot better than I thought it would be. It looked like it was going to be crap in the previews (to me) but, I ended up enjoying it.

IISANDERII

Canadians! The Third Man has been released on Netflix!

Required viewing, period!

They also added Rambo 1, 2, and 3!

And Mad Men season 6!

And Jacob's Ladder! One of the finest psychological horror films ever!
I remember watching Rambo 3 multiple times when I was young, had some really cool action. I am curious to see how it holds up.

edit: I see French Connection and its sequel have been added too. Will have to cheque those out too.

Wag

Is anyone else still having quality issues with Netflix via Fios? I thought that Netflix and Verizon had reached some sort of agreement weeks ago, but the situation hasn't improved. Most shows start off in crappy 240 - 480 quality, and stay there for minutes before improving to 720 -1080, but I'll also see it revert back to low-quality in the middle of the show at random times. (I was watching one of the big scenes in season 4 of the Tudors which featured a CGI siege bombardment of a city, and it was 240 the whole time.) And God forbid I miss a line and have to back up more than a few seconds, because then it reverts to SD for up to four or five minutes.

I know this is sort of a "first world problem", but it really takes me out of a show or movie when I find myself thinking, "Still SD...still SD...now it's HD...HD...oops, back to SD...SD...HD again now..."

So has there been any official word on this situation lately? The only news articles on this seem to date from February.

edit: I'm watching on my PS3, and Amazon streaming is fine.

Yes, streaming on Netflix and FIOS here in the Boston area is mostly terrible. Verizon hasn't come to any agreement with Netflix yet as far as I know.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

All Things to All Men (Crime, Drama)
Beyond Outrage (Action, Crime, Thriller, Foreign)
Iron Sky: Director's Cut (Comedy, Satire)
Legit Season 1 (TV, Comedy)

Canada:

A Grand Affair (Romantic, Drama)
D.L. Hughley: Reset (Standup)
Downton Abbey: Series 3 (TV, Drama)

amrod

Added today:

All Things to All Men (Crime, Drama)
Beyond Outrage (Action, Crime, Thriller, Foreign)
Iron Sky: Director's Cut (Comedy, Satire)

Canada:

A Grand Affair (Romantic, Drama)
D.L. Hughley: Reset (Standup)
Downton Abbey: Series 3 (TV, Drama)

^--- amazing awesome, highly recommend

Insidious Chapter 2 is not bad. It's not as good as the first one but, with this kind of movie it's really hard to make a sequel that matches the original (due to audience familiarity with the scary element).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Forgetting the Girl (Indie, Thriller)
G.B.F. (Indie, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Action)
Jumanji (Family, Adventure)
Milius (Documentary, Biographical/John Milius)
Peeples (Comedy)
The Artist and the Model (Drama, Foreign)
The Dirties (Indie, Drama)
Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon (Action, Fantasy, Foreign)

Mexico:

American Reunion (Comedy)
Intruders (Horror, Supernatural)
Jackass 3 (Comedy)
Ninja (Action, Martial Arts)
The Duchess (Drama)

The Netherlands:

Hocus Pocus (Family, Comedy)
Homeland Season 1 (TV, Drama)
The Lone Ranger (Action)
The Smurfs (TV, Kids)

It is Ad-free time yes.

Am using it for almost two months. Works pretty much flawlessly for me now. Only things are that the ad-blocker is by default on, but you can easily turn it off. Switching regions works a bit less easy for me on crappy browsers such as my TV. I used to have some moments where the page to switch regions would not load, but that has only been for a week.

Vyer

GI Joe Retaliation is ridiculously dumb. But damn if Rock doesn't make it somewhat entertaining at least. Plus Palicki is hot and my inner 80s kid hyped up a little at seeing Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Khumba (Family, Animation, Comedy)
Short Term 12 (Indie, Drama)
The Bible: The Epic Miniseries (TV, Drama, Faith)

Canada:

AquaTales (Family, Adventure, Animation)
Interior. Leather Bar. (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
The Bible: The Epic Miniseries (TV, Drama, Faith)
The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Family, Animation, Comedy)
Think Like a Man (Romantic, Comedy)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This will be met with a lukewarm reception, as it probably should be but, Hemlock Grove Season 2 has a release date:

July 11

Excellent. I kinda liked the first season. Not the greatest thing in the world, but hopefully the improve on it.

I think BoJack Horseman will follow shortly after HG.

Some news on another Netflix show, Narcos
:

Pablo Escobar may have died over 20 years ago, but it seems the world isn’t tired of bringing the notorious drug lord’s story back to life.

Earlier this week Netflix announced, in a statement, plans to produce, “Narcos,” a new series about the infamous Colombian cartel boss that will be directed by Brazilian Jose Padilha (“Robocop,” “Elite Squad”), according to Spanish wire service EFE.

The digital content provider has ordered one season -- 10 episodes -- for the series, which will star Brazilian actor Wagner Moura ("Elysium") as Escobar. “Narcos” is set to debut in early 2015 and filming will begin soon in Colombia.

Looks like it was delayed? I think it was originally set to debut this year.

Kaladin

Is that the Bible mini series they ran on History a little while ago?

I quite enjoyed that one actually.

Edit: It is.....might have to watch it again.

GI Joe Retaliation is ridiculously dumb. But damn if Rock doesn't make it somewhat entertaining at least. Plus Palicki is hot and my inner 80s kid hyped up a little at seeing Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander.

Yeah it was good dumb fun. I watched Mr. Nobody and GI Joe over the weekend and was far more entertained by the Rock than Jared Leto (even though he was amazing as the old man).

I started Wallander (w/Kenneth Branagh) too. I'm trying to find something to replace my The Killing addiction - dark, moody, rainy/cold, crime type stuff.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

9TLvV4u.jpg

Netflix customers on Comcast are already seeing the benefits of a controversial pact between the streaming service and cable provider. Comcast jumped five spots in Netflix's ranking of ISP performance for the month of March. It now sits in fifth place, delivering an average streaming speed of 2.5Mbps — up from the 11th place spot it held in February, when Comcast delivered a pitiful 1.15Mbps average to Netflix subscribers.

Top Bottom