• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix is raising prices by $1-2 for new members. Thread.

Netflix is about to get more expensive, but only by a dollar or two. In his company's Q1 letter to shareholders, CEO Reed Hastings said, "Our current view is to do a one or two dollar increase, depending on the country, later this quarter for new members only." Hastings then noted that existing customers will be able to stay at the $7.99 monthly rate "for generous time period." (The company says it experienced "limited impact" after it hiked prices for new members by $1 in Ireland.) Raising prices will allow Netflix "acquire more content and deliver an even better streaming experience," Hastings said.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I will never understand the people who rag on the selection. How much time do they have to watch, do they know about hola and the VPNs? What are they expecting?

People just like to complain. There was one poster canceling their account because of this news. I don't understand how that makes sense.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Looks like tiers might come in the future and it sounds like the price increase might hit the US.

"We want to get this done well, and make sure we grandfather people cleanly," said Hastings. That decision to grandfather current rates means the higher pricing won't have a huge influence on Netflix's bottom line for some time. Hastings said it will be "quite modest in the short term." Netflix may also experiment with new tiers beyond the core price bump, according to Hastings. "We're continuing to look at that," he said.

The company says it experienced only "limited impact" after hiking prices for new members by €1 in Ireland. In that case, Netflix promised current customers that they'd be grandfathered into the cheaper plan for two years. But it might not stretch so long in the US. "We’ll do between a year or two," Hastings said, revealing that Netflix will reveal more specifics at a later date. Raising the monthly subscription fee will help Netflix "acquire more content and deliver an even better streaming experience," Hastings said. An $8.99 or $9.99 price would make Netflix more expensive than Hulu Plus — which costs $7.99 per month — but Hulu still annoys its paying customers with advertisements.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tiers scare me. How could they implement them well? Sad thing is I'll probably pay for whatever the highest is up to about 20 bucks

Maybe first run at blockbusters? Current season streaming? Who knows. It is stupid for them to mess with tiers. Especially when they didn't take the Epix deal because they wanted tiers in place.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Celeste and Jesse Forever (Canada): Random pick. I thought this was a great romantic drama/comedy. Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg's chemistry was amazing. I enjoyed their scenes together. The cast is filled with great actors/actresses and everyone was on top of their game. It can be a sad watch, and a bit slow at times, but overall, I would recommend it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Last night I watched Interior. Leather Bar. from director James Franco. It was an interesting experience. I had read that the film was a recreation of the 40 minutes of cut (and lost?) material (read: explicit gay sex scenes) from William Friedkin's controversial 1980 film Cruising - like, I thought that would be the entire movie - but only a tiny portion of Interior. Leather Bar. is actually a recreation of those scenes.

The film is actually a documentary (or filmed in a documentary style - I think it's, like, a scripted documentary or something) that takes a look at the process of making said recreated scenes and the general hesitations that the cast and crew have about working on such a film.

James Franco's points about sex and censorship in the movies ("Why can't we have explicit gay sex in a mainstream movie when it's okay to show people being blown to bits?") are generally salient, but the film itself is actually pretty boring. It's only an hour in length though, and I don't regret watching it. It just wasn't what I was expecting.

Zero315

Banned
Maybe first run at blockbusters? Current season streaming? Who knows. It is stupid for them to mess with tiers. Especially when they didn't take the Epix deal because they wanted tiers in place.

I would gladly drop Hulu+ and give Netflix an extra $8 a month for current season streaming.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Damn Amazon Instant just got a ton of free HBO content. As someone who has Netflix and Prime, feels pretty sweet.

Tempted to use the Free Trial of Amazon Prime, but I seem to get offered a new one every 6 months even if I've already taken the free trial before.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Come Undone (Indie, Comedy, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian)
Don Jon (Comedy)
Freakshow: Season 1 (TV, Reality)
La Maison de la Radio (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
Shuddh Desi Romance (Romantic, Comedy, Bollywood)
Small Town Security: Season 2 (TV, Reality)

Don Jon, I know what I'm watching tomorrow.

Added today:

Come Undone (Indie, Comedy, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian)
Don Jon (Comedy)
Freakshow: Season 1 (TV, Reality)
La Maison de la Radio (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
Shuddh Desi Romance (Romantic, Comedy, Bollywood)
Small Town Security: Season 2 (TV, Reality)

Don Jon, I know what I'm watching tomorrow.

Don Jon. SCORE! Almost snagged it on blu the other day when I saw it on sale. My wife has really been wanting to see it. Looking forward to seeing it.

Damn Amazon Instant just got a ton of free HBO content. As someone who has Netflix and Prime, feels pretty sweet.

I'm pretty stoked about this. I'm hoping the competition heats up between the two and we end up getting assloads of new great content in an effort to keep my subscription from both...even though neither will be going anywhere anytime soon...lol.

Has anyone watched the From Dusk til Dawn series (available in non-US)? I've been checking it out, it's pretty average to start. It shows some promise though so I'll keep with it. Definitely an interesting take on vampirism.

Why is House of Cards video quality so terrible?

I really have no idea where I can direct my rage but the shit is supposed to be in HD and my internet connection is super, but I feel like I'm watching the Spice channel back in the day.

Think I may just pirate season 2, it'll give me less grief.

Why is House of Cards video quality so terrible?

I really have no idea where I can direct my rage but the shit is supposed to be in HD and my internet connection is super, but I feel like I'm watching the Spice channel back in the day.

Think I may just pirate season 2, it'll give me less grief.

Have you tried using a different device? Because video quality was excellent for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Camp Lazlo Season 3-4 (TV, Kids)
Odd Thomas (Comedy, Horror)
The Benchwarmers (Comedy)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ah cool. It looked stupid from the commercials but I heard a lot of good things since its release. (mostly from Howard Kremer)

I have heard mixed reviews. Mostly positive though.

Has anyone watched the From Dusk til Dawn series (available in non-US)? I've been checking it out, it's pretty average to start. It shows some promise though so I'll keep with it. Definitely an interesting take on vampirism.

It is on my soon-to-watch list.

Netflix's lineup is shaping quite nicely.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Some stuff on my list is expiring May 1:

Harold and Maude
Into the Wild
Mean Girls (this was just added a month ago)
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
don jon is ok. premise is pretty funny but then starts to get weird with the
relationship with the grieving widow

Yeah Don Jon is pretty alright. Deeper and more thoughtful than I thought it would be.

Plus Scar Jo is in it, so there's that.

It's fine. Starts out very good and then gets kind of weird. Not what you would expect.

Really liked Don Jon. Good, but not great.

I agree with all the above. JGL and Scar Jo were great. Tony was awesome. The movie kinda slows down when Moore introduced. Even though you could see where the movie was going with it. Overall, good movie.

Also there was no point to the sister.

I agree with all the above. JGL and Scar Jo were great. Tony was awesome. The movie kinda slows down when Moore introduced. Even though you could see where the movie was going with it. Overall, good movie.

Also there was no point to the sister.

I loved the sister.
No dialogue through the whole film until right near the end. I thought it was hilarious when she finally stopped texting.
. But that is just me.

Top Bottom