• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

C4Lukins

I honestly think its a long running gag between Netflix and whoever holds the license.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it is to keep the franchise in peoples mind, but also have a shot at movie sales.

I have noticed that I guess everything on Epix is also on Netflix. So maybe they are doing the typical premium cable thing with the Bond license where it is on the network for like two months, and then goes away, and then comes back. Just not really embracing the format of subscription Internet services and keeping the old model of traditional premium cable.

C4Lukins

A question I do have about the economics of Netflix.

So I am aware that Netflix pays said distributor a certain amount of money to have their shows on the service. Do those individual films get a percentage of the money made through subscribers based on the amount of views they receive? I would also ask the same of Netflix original series. Is each season a one time payment, or does the amount of people who watch House of Cards for example determine more money to the producers of said series? I doubt anyone knows, but these are the economics of the service that I find compelling.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think in the past years it was one lump sum for a bulk catalog of content.

They haven't ever really discuss it to be honest. It is probably a combination of one sum and per stream/hours/views. As they are dealing with various different content holders and different ranges of popular/not-so-popular content.

jakncoke

Banned
I really wish Netflix had an option where they'd put a list all option then all the content was on one list. Then any time you seen the movie or the entire season of the show it'd drop out of that group. Or at the very least make a option where the current sub groups that stuff you already watched on there or rated falls to the bottom keeping content you never seen or rated near the top. As I've been a member this time through for 2 years or so and used Netflix as my cable every month that passes I have to pass through clutter of stuff Ive already seen. Now some might suggest looking on the other regions, but that wouldnt fix the issue of mine as I'd just have a dozen regions with clutter of things Ive seen and still have search to see and discover content.

obin_gam

So Knights of Sidonia is not really an "original" series yes? It's as "original" to netflix as Derek or Arrested Development?

To those who have seen the original KoS, is it worth spending time watching?

Blader

Expiring July 1st:

Spaceballs
Night of the Living Dead ('90)
The Running Man
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Nip/Tuck
Spider-man Unlimited
Lars and the Real Girl
Jeff, Who Lives at Home
Freedom Writers
Rocky 1/2
The Terminator
Killing Zoe

Damn, lots of stuff expiring that day. Also fom my list:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Comic Book Villains
Gattaca
Party Monster
Private Parts
ALL of the Rocky movies
Taxi Driver
The Vicious Kind

Adding a couple more from my list that are expiring at the end of the month:

Raging Bull
Dr. Strangelove
Chinatown
The Interrupters
The Central Park Five (maybe? it did say 7/1 but now there's no date anymore)

Wag

FYI: http://usa.istreamguide.com/ is another search site like Moreflicks that lets you search across multiple regions, plus it has the added bonus of letting you filter by HD programming. Moreflicks is still a little easier to use, but istreamguide has potential.

Anton668

Like what? Any censorship is likely the doing of the movie studios.

yeah, I swear I read somewhere that netflix has no control on what versions of the movies they get. if the studio send them a edited version, thats what they get to show.

its been awhile so maybe someone else may have a link to it right or wrong.

sruckus

Stranger by the Lake is censored? I watched it the other week. It's still pretty explicit even if it was.

Idk I haven't seen the NF version. Just saying if they are censoring, that'd be one to do. Do you still see
ejaculation
? If so, prob not edited. I might watch it to compare.

sruckus

Point taken then. Weird the studios would do that, but glad it doesn't seem to be Netflix.

Speaking of, is the increase in "SDH" subtitles the result of the new rules on customizing and captioning or something? I like that it exists, but personally I liked the old subtitles where every freaking sound wasn't put to text, but for scenes or British movies where it could be hard to hear everything, I liked subtitles. Now though when I was watching Weekend it was too distracting because every sound and movement on screen happening was put to text. I wish NF would make both available.

Point taken then. Weird the studios would do that, but glad it doesn't seem to be Netflix.

Speaking of, is the increase in "SDH" subtitles the result of the new rules on customizing and captioning or something? I like that it exists, but personally I liked the old subtitles where every freaking sound wasn't put to text, but for scenes or British movies where it could be hard to hear everything, I liked subtitles. Now though when I was watching Weekend it was too distracting because every sound and movement on screen happening was put to text. I wish NF would make both available.
Yeah, it sucks. Some films have two subtitle tracks, one of which is close captioned. It bothered me for Weekend too. It's a problem that exists even on Blu-ray releases.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Idk read the reviews. Apparently most of the scenes but I haven't seen it.

Ughhghg I hate that. I've seen the Netflix cut but I didn't know that it was censored :/ Now I have to find the uncensored version or it'll drive me crazy. Argh

Now that I think about it, I recall thinking how "safe" it was for a French film about sex back when I first saw it. The cut version barely has any nudity and most of the sex happens off screen. I should have figured it was heavily edited.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
FYI: http://usa.istreamguide.com/ is another search site like Moreflicks that lets you search across multiple regions, plus it has the added bonus of letting you filter by HD programming. Moreflicks is still a little easier to use, but istreamguide has potential.

Will add it to the OP. Thanks.

Lawless was added today for US.

Plus:

Bad Grandpa 0.5 (Comedy) Note: This is just behind the scenes stuff, not the movie. Stupid, yes.
WWE: Shawn Michaels: Mr. WrestleMania (Documentary, Wrestling)
WWE: TLC: Tables, Ladders and Chairs 2013 (Documentary, Wrestling)
WWE: Ultimate Warrior: Ultimate Collection (Documentary, Wrestling)

Trailer for new season of The Killing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Why on earth can't I search for TV shows anywhere? Am i missing something?

Under the "Movies" tab at the top left corner, select the "New to Netflix:: Shows Only."

Edit- Click "Browse All", and filter to shows if you want everything.

Aiii

So not worth it
Under the "Movies" tab at the top left corner, select the "New to Netflix:: Shows Only."

Edit- Click "Browse All", and filter to shows if you want everything.

Search remains Movies only as far as I can tell after doing this.

Top Bottom