• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

I finished watching all 12 episodes. I thought the story was pretty good. It seems a lot like Gundam. I thought the animation was done very well too.

I've only had time to watch the first episode and so far I would say that my feelings towards it are pretty lukewarm. But I'll watch a few more tonight and we'll see how things go.

mm04

I finished watching all 12 episodes. I thought the story was pretty good. It seems a lot like Gundam. I thought the animation was done very well too.

I watched them all and enjoyed it. What was the deal with
Hoshijiro's scan and it being 15% off? Was there any significance behind it?

Speaking of Hola Unblokcer, I recently got a chromecast and decided to cast Netflix from another region and it's not letting me do it. I can cast the browser but I would rather cast Netflix itself. Does anyone know if the other VPN's work or if there is a setting I can change so I can watch Netflix from other regions on my TV.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^Maybe try and change the settings of the router itself?

Edit- Forgot Hola is an extension. Try ad-free or unblock. They have DNS settings for routers.

Speaking of Hola Unblokcer, I recently got a chromecast and decided to cast Netflix from another region and it's not letting me do it. I can cast the browser but I would rather cast Netflix itself. Does anyone know if the other VPN's work or if there is a setting I can change so I can watch Netflix from other regions on my TV.
Can't change chromecasts DNS so it doesn't work. Sucks...

Tapiozona

Banned
Just watched Blood Brother on a whim...

Wow. Absolutely floored by this documentary. This is one of the if not the best piece of media ive ever watched. So honest and the emotional rollercoaster without being left feeling guilty. Please everyone watch it. I promise you will enjoy it and possibly reevaluate your own life.

I started Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. I'm sure this has been spoken about to death, but it has some big story beats that are similar to Attack on Titan. I read that both mangas came out in 09, so is one considered the 'first,' or does no one really compare them like that?

I started Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. I'm sure this has been spoken about to death, but it has some big story beats that are similar to Attack on Titan. I read that both mangas came out in 09, so is one considered the 'first,' or does no one really compare them like that?
I've seen them compared.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Did people know Pacific Rim was up in Denmark? Might be on the other Scandanvaian countries too, I'm not sure.

I watched it through HBO Go and I found it to be boring. The CGI is downright amazing, but that is the only thing it really has going for it. Come to think of it, I think I finished watching it.

Mentok

Banned
Sounds like some Pentagod shit

On Knights of Sidonia: Where does it fall on the scale of anime tropes/fanservice? I hate that shit, but I love mecha and I love space opera so if y'all can recommend it to me on that basis, I'll watch it.

I'm a mecha fan, and I'm enjoying the series so far. It's not like Gundam/Evangelion proportions, but it's definitely an interesting series.

Kwixotik

I'm a mecha fan, and I'm enjoying the series so far. It's not like Gundam/Evangelion proportions, but it's definitely an interesting series.

But what about fanservice? Already in the first episode I saw some titties and generally sexual themes that make me wary when dealing with anime. Does that stuff end up not being a big deal?

sol_bad

Do Americans have a way to access content from the FX channel without a cable subscription? I REALLY want to watch The Strain when it starts.
I'm from Australia, I have no idea if Foxtel down here is even getting the show but I don't want to pay their ridiculous pricing anyway.

Do Americans have a way to access content from the FX channel without a cable subscription? I REALLY want to watch The Strain when it starts.
I'm from Australia, I have no idea if Foxtel down here is even getting the show but I don't want to pay their ridiculous pricing anyway.

I just checked and it seems FX is handled like Fox is, which is to say they require users to log in with the Cable Provider accounts to view the content.

rexor0717

Watched Journey to the West by Steven Chow (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer) . It dragged a bit in the middle, but it definitely had that Steven Chow feel. Decent action and CG, plus an absurdly awesome ending. His movies kinda all follow the same structure, so if you want more Kung Fu Hustle, this is an alright movie. I'd give it a 8/10 if your a Steven Chow fan and a 6/10 if you're not.

thenexus6

Watched Journey to the West by Steven Chow (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer) . It dragged a bit in the middle, but it definitely had that Steven Chow feel. Decent action and CG, plus an absurdly awesome ending. His movies kinda all follow the same structure, so if you want more Kung Fu Hustle, this is an alright movie. I'd give it a 8/10 if your a Steven Chow fan and a 6/10 if you're not.

Sweet i've been waiting for this for a while now

cheezcake

But what about fanservice? Already in the first episode I saw some titties and generally sexual themes that make me wary when dealing with anime. Does that stuff end up not being a big deal?

There's a few fanservice-y parts in the show but, thankfully, they're pretty short and few and far between. Overall I thought the show was okay, nothing spectacular but pretty interesting and I'll be watching the second season.

jakncoke

Banned
Was The Job supposed to be the Cop version of Rescue Me. 5 minutes into the pilot and I notice besides Dennis Leary like 5 characters that had a role in Rescue Me

Edit: So it was a decent show, but by the time the plot thickens it reached the point where it was cancelled(19 eps) ah well. Some laughs were had. Also further looking this show pre-dates Rescue Me. So it seems like the people banded together after the The Job was canned to form the same concept of a show but make it based on firefighters for Rescue Me. By seasons end I recognized about 8 or 9 people that had some kind of role from Rescue Me in The Job

Mentok

Banned

There's a few fanservice-y parts in the show but, thankfully, they're pretty short and few and far between. Overall I thought the show was okay, nothing spectacular but pretty interesting and I'll be watching the second season.

^^ This. They hit a few anime tropes that are a little unnecessary, but it's nothing crazy (i.e. the naked characters you mentioned. They don't put emphasis on it, it's supposed to be taken as an everyday thing). Like I said, a decent series, nothing mind-blowing.

Decided to watch the first episode of Chuck and thought it was pretty good. Is the series worth getting into?

Season 1 is good to great. Season 2 is fucking phenomenal from beginning to end. Just perfect.

Season 3-5 are rough with some gems here and there. But season 2 is one of the most perfect seasons of anything.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Emmy Nominations are in. I'm just going to post the ones Netflix shows were nominated for. You can find the full list in the Emmy thread.

Outstanding Comedy Series

"Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Ricky Gervais, "Derek" (Netflix)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Taylor Schilling, "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Kate Mulgrew, "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

Uzo Aduba, "Orange is the New Black" (Netflix)
Laverne Cox, "Orange is the New Black" (Netflix)
Natasha Lyonne, "Orange is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Drama Series

"House of Cards" (Netflix)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Robin Wright, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series

Reg E. Cathey, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series

Kate Mara, "House of Cards"

Dalek

I'm always amused when people binge watch a fresh season of a show and then are surprised to learn it's going to be another year before the next season comes out.

My wife is this way with every show we watch

Emmy Nominations are in. I'm just going to post the ones Netflix shows were nominated for. You can find the full list in the Emmy thread.

Outstanding Comedy Series

"Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Ricky Gervais, "Derek" (Netflix)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Taylor Schilling, "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Kate Mulgrew, "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

Uzo Aduba, "Orange is the New Black" (Netflix)
Laverne Cox, "Orange is the New Black" (Netflix)
Natasha Lyonne, "Orange is the New Black" (Netflix)

Outstanding Drama Series

"House of Cards" (Netflix)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Robin Wright, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series

Reg E. Cathey, "House of Cards"

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series

Kate Mara, "House of Cards"

Go Orange!!!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (Comedy)
Alone with Her (Indie, Thriller)
Black Rock (Indie, Drama)
Bottled Up (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Free Fall (Drama, Gay & Lesbian, Foreign)
Generation War (TV, Miniseries, Drama)
Genius on Hold (Documentary, Biographical/Walter L. Shaw)
Homefront (Action, Thriller)
I Am Divine (Documentary, Biographical/Divine)
Maidentrip (Documentary, Biographical/Laura Dekker)
Nova: Megastorm Aftermath (TV, Documentary)
Out of the Furnace (Drama, Thriller)
Renoir (Drama, Foreign)
The Believer (Indie, Drama)

Top Bottom