• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Jimothy

Side By Side - An interesting documentary with a crap load of directors. Never really knew much about the topic so it was a great watch to learn about the debate of film vs digital

I really wish they would have expanded more on the pros and cons of each format. Like, Nolan and Pfister say film looks better, but don't expand on it. Do they like the superior black levels and grain structure? Conversely, the only reason it seems some directors like digital is because it's faster and easier than film, but they don't explore the inherent flaws with digital image quality. It would have been cool to see a comparison of scenes shot on a RED and ones shot on 35mm, and pointed out the differences between them. It was a good doc to watch once, but it seems like there could have been more substance to it.

Ocaso

Don't know if this one was recommended previously, but I recently watched Stranded: I've come from a plane that crashed on the mountain, and was blown away by it. It's a documentary about the Uruguayan rugby team that crashed on the Andes in the 70s which you may be familiar with from the feature film Alive, but hearing it straight from the mouths of the people who actually lived through the ordeal makes the events take on an even grander weight. Truly a fitting tribute to their endurance and determination.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Freaks and Geeks is the best show I've seen in a long time. Probably the best show involving high school ever made. If you haven't seen it watch it!

Freaks and Geeks is the best show I've seen in a long time. Probably the best show involving high school ever made. If you haven't seen it watch it!

Just received the boxset that I had to order directly from amazon 'murica because apparently we europeans are not worthy.

Looking forward to watching it !

finally watched Ironclad.

I'd hovered over it for a long time, as I'm a sucker for the time period, but having never heard of it before I thought it would be some straight-to-video shlock.

Finally decided to give it a whirl.

I thought it was actually pretty good. The practical effects were fantastic and overall production quality was much better than expected. Also- Paul Giamatti was wonderful, as always. Man that guy is consistent.

Was just reading above about the rating system Netflix uses. I was always under the impression that the star rating was based on what Netflix assumed YOU would rate the movie/tv show, and not what others rated it as. As a way to help you pick things you may like.

I think I read it somewhere. Is that not true?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Was just reading above about the rating system Netflix uses. I was always under the impression that the star rating was based on what Netflix assumed YOU would rate the movie/tv show, and not what others rated it as. As a way to help you pick things you may like.

I think I read it somewhere. Is that not true?

I thought that as well.

I've been having a small problem with Netflix on PS3 the last few weeks where it won't properly display elapsed time when I hit the select button anymore...all I get is 00:00/00:00 up in the corner. If I hit pause it will display the time on the bar at the bottom of the screen, but sometimes I just want to check without stopping the flow of the movie or show. Anybody else have this problem?

mojiimbo

^

Yes, I just assumed they got rid of that feature.
they really need to institute a profile system with the way they handle recommendations right now. i share my account with my brother since my nieces like to watch all the kids stuff and all my recommendations are cartoons hah
They've had a profile system with separate queues and viewing histories on the PS3 app for a few months now.

Enco

I really wish they would have expanded more on the pros and cons of each format. Like, Nolan and Pfister say film looks better, but don't expand on it. Do they like the superior black levels and grain structure? Conversely, the only reason it seems some directors like digital is because it's faster and easier than film, but they don't explore the inherent flaws with digital image quality. It would have been cool to see a comparison of scenes shot on a RED and ones shot on 35mm, and pointed out the differences between them. It was a good doc to watch once, but it seems like there could have been more substance to it.

A comparison would have definitely been nice.

Digital seems more sensible to me. Waiting a day to get your films processed would drive me crazy and it would be too late to go back to the moment and re do it.

Side By Side - An interesting documentary with a crap load of directors. Never really knew much about the topic so it was a great watch to learn about the debate of film vs digital

Oh sweet, thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to see it for a while now, a lot to do with Keanu Reeves talking to David Lynch.

dekline

iKmX7D6GtLowc.jpg

Melancholia.

Antichrist and Melancholia are the only Lars von Trier films I've seen and visually they're both amazing. But this was so much better than antichrist IMO.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

They harped on the problems that digital has had, especially dynamic range.
If anything, they were unfair to digital by glossing over its major low light advantage.

And there were pretty extensive comparison tests done for Collateral beforehand. Digital mopped the floor with film in terms of quality, and this was nine years ago. That coyote shot they showed in the documentary would have been sub-VHS quality on film.

RedAssedApe

Banned
iKmX7D6GtLowc.jpg

Melancholia.

Antichrist and Melancholia are the only Lars von Trier films I've seen and visually they're both amazing. But this was so much better than antichrist IMO.

this movie sounds very pretentious. is it actually any good beyond being amazing visually?

iKmX7D6GtLowc.jpg

Melancholia.

I'm much more of a fan of von Trier's earlier works - especially Breaking the Waves and The Idiots. If you have the means to check them out, do so. They're much more raw and less esoteric than his current work. Breaking the Waves is a real tear jerker.

dekline

I'm much more of a fan of von Trier's earlier works - especially Breaking the Waves and The Idiots. If you have the means to check them out, do so. They're much more raw and less esoteric than his current work. Breaking the Waves is a real tear jerker.

I've been wanting to see breaking the waves. Haven't heard of the idiots until now but it sounds interesting.

this movie sounds very pretentious. is it actually any good beyond being amazing visually?

I thought so.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ajj De Ranjhe (Comedy, Foreign/Indian)
David and Kamal (Drama, Foreign/Indian)
Enter the Void (Drama, Foreign)

Just a reminder, coming this Friday:

• Amelie (Romance, Comedy, Foreign/French)
  • American Me (Drama, Mobster)
  • Anaconda (Action, Thriller)
  • Black Snake Moan (Drama)
  • Ghost Dad (Family)
  • Godzilla (Sci-Fi, Action, '93)
  • Hustle & Flow (Drama)
  • Ice Castles (Drama, Romance)
  • Nicholas Nickleby (Drama)
  • The Importance of Being Earnest (Romantic Comedy)
  • The Man from Snowy River (Action, Western)
  • The Mask of Zorro (Action)
  • There's No Business Like Show Business (Classic, Musical)
  • Yanks (War, Romance, Drama)

Everyone should watch Enter the Void. Such a mindfuck.

kmm182

Neo Member

Yeah, the visuals are fine. But who cares if the plot makes no sense (I guess it makes sense in the end but if I wanted to watch people go crazy in a slow, annoying fashion, I could probably find something else that would be better than that movie)

jakncoke

Banned
I forgot to say this yesterday or the day before that cant recall. Either way. the 7 seasons of Trailer Park Boys is expiring on the first

edit; jesus hardly any carpenter on there and the fog is expiring

Grizza

Just saw Grizzly Man for the first time.

That footage Treadwell filmed is some intense shit.

Everyone has that one moment where they realize the Oscars mean nothing, and for me that moment came when Grizzly Man wasn't even nominated for Best Documentary.

Came in here to recommend Comedy Bang! Bang! It's a podcast that was turned into a TV show for the IFC, and it's pretty fucking great.

I mean, just look at this.

I will second this recommendation. Didn't immediately click with me, but once it did......comedy gold.

Also can highly, highly recommend the documentary The American Scream. Takes place around Halloween and follows three men who dedicate a lot of their time to building "Haunts", aka those neighborhood haunted houses that people can come through on Halloween and, hopefully, get scared. For someone like myself who is a huge fan of the holiday already, this was even more enjoyable, but even without that preference, it's a really great story of showing people doing what they really love, and putting so much into something so that others will get enjoyment out of it.

anyone else having a problem getting netfix to start on the PS3??

Yup. I had just been on there a few minutes ago and it was working fine, but I just tried to go back on and I keep getting the "We're having a problem connecting to Netflix" screen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

• Ghost Dad (Family)
  • Hustle & Flow (Drama)

I will do a big list when I get home from work later, but 'The Warriors', 'A Tale of Two Sisters', and 'Skins(UK)', are set to expire on April 1st.

Vyer

Everyone has that one moment where they realize the Oscars mean nothing, and for me that moment came when Grizzly Man wasn't even nominated for Best Documentary.

Haha, don't follow the Oscars much so I didn't know that. Going to have to look up that category that year...

zero_suit

Added today:

• Ghost Dad (Family)
  • Hustle & Flow (Drama)

I will do a big list when I get home from work later, but 'The Warriors', 'A Tale of Two Sisters', and 'Skins(UK)', are set to expire on April 1st.

Time for a rewatch!

swoon

Haha, don't follow the Oscars much so I didn't know that. Going to have to look up that category that year...

it wasn't eligible because of the amount of archival footage or whatever. i doubt it would have beat march of the penguins, though i bet street fight will be the would win today because of cory booker's accent.

Top Bottom