• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

jakncoke

Banned
I searched the netflixaroundtheworld.com site and nothing came up, doubt it a new movie would only be on such a super short contract for any region

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Horns: I randomly added this to my Q, when it was on Netflixs scrolling banner, as the poster looked interesting. I think Bl4ckSunsh1n3's post was spot on. It does have a good mix of action and a bit of horror.

It is an interesting movie. This definitely isn't a movie for everyone. Probably a love/hate type of film. There are things that are never really explained. And some WTF moments like
the shotgun blast to the guys head.
The story walked a thin line between intriguing and predictable.

Overall, I enjoyed it. A strange movie for sure.

Horns: I randomly added this to my Q, when it was on Netflixs scrolling banner, as the poster looked interesting. I think Bl4ckSunsh1n3's post was spot on. It does have a good mix of action and a bit of horror.

It is an interesting movie. This definitely isn't a movie for everyone. Probably a love/hate type of film. There are things that are never really explained. And some WTF moments like

Quite a fun movie and better than I expected as well. It goes off the rails there at the end but I had a good time watching it.

Zero315

Banned

They left out and changed a lot of stuff from the book, such as an entire chapter or two
told from Lee's perspective.
The book is really good and I encourage anyone who liked the movie to give it a shot. It's written by Joe Hill, who is one of Stephen King's kids.

Watched three movies yesterday and all three were pretty good / recommendable:

Journey to the West - like a live action anime; directed Stephen Chow; new take on the book Journey to the West (mythic Chinese tale about the quest for Buddha)

Automata - reminded me a lot of District 9 with robots in the place of bug aliens

Das Finstere Tal - Blue Ruin set in 1800s Germany

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Quite a fun movie and better than I expected as well. It goes off the rails there at the end but I had a good time watching it.

It was a fun movie. The craziness towards the end was my favorite parts. Completely out of left field.

They left out and changed a lot of stuff from the book, such as an entire chapter or two
told from Lee's perspective.
The book is really good and I encourage anyone who liked the movie to give it a shot. It's written by Joe Hill, who is one of Stephen King's kids.

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably check out the book.

Watched three movies yesterday and all three were pretty good / recommendable:

Automata - reminded me a lot of District 9 with robots in the place of bug aliens

Really boring movie. And a lot of stuff didn't make any sense.

Really boring movie. And a lot of stuff didn't make any sense.

?!

I challenge you to fisticuffs at dawn, sire! My only complaint about it really is that everyone not Antonia Banderas or Robert Forster was pretty ridiculous and hammy. But other than that I was entertained.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
?!

I challenge you to fisticuffs at dawn, sire! My only complaint about it really is that everyone not Antonia Banderas or Robert Forster was pretty ridiculous and hammy. But other than that I was entertained.

Lol. I watched it for the Netflix Movie Club thread last month. It was a really, really slow paced movie. It starts off great, but just completely falls apart and it never recovered. The CGI and the robot designs were good. Antonio was good in it. After sitting through the long movie, there was never really a payoff.

First few seasons of Rescue Me are some of my favorite TV. It went so downhill for me though that I've never watched the final season. Maybe someday I'll go back and re-watch it all, including the last.

While I do admit that it fell more into comedy towards the end, I always enjoyed the characters the show had, all the way to the end. Can't wait for Sex Drugs Rock & Roll.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Watched The Grey last night. It was awesome — much better than I expected.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished Riddick (Sweden). Much better than the second movie, a notch below the first. The movie is more like the first. I really love Riddick as a character. And seeing him outsmart everyone and everything around him is great. It starts off a bit slow, but it picks up.

If you are a fan of the first, give this a watch.

Good? GOOD?! I challenge you to fisticuffs at dawn, sire! It's a great action flick!

I prefer pistols at noon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
spartacus is such an excessive show...guiltiest of pleasures. love it.

i know this show won't end well for the "good guys"...but still hoping the ending doesn't bum me out. on s4e9

laugh every time they speak of jupiter's cock lol

spartacus is such an excessive show...guiltiest of pleasures. love it.

Does the production value ever increase? I watched the first episode last night and the low budget nature was kind of jarring. It looks like it was all filmed in a single 20x20 surrounded by green screen. Kinda reminded me of a SyFy original movie honestly.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Does the production value ever increase? I watched the first episode last night and the low budget nature was kind of jarring. It looks like it was all filmed in a single 20x20 surrounded by green screen. Kinda reminded me of a SyFy original movie honestly.

Yes. The production values early on are very low (and the acting is shitty, writing is terrible, etc.) The first few episodes really aren't indicative of what the rest of the show is like.

Yes. The production values early on are very low (and the acting is shitty, writing is terrible, etc.) The first few episodes really aren't indicative of what the rest of the show is like.

*whew* Cool, thanks. I really want to like at is I generally love all things Rome but I figured it'd be tough to stick with at the 1st episode level of quality.

torontoml

Anyone else having issues with unblock us? It doesn't matter which country I change it to I only get the US version? Really wanted to watch Saul right now.

tchocky

Why does amc so this with Saul and breaking bad but not walking dead?

In the UK the first few seasons of BB was shown really late on tv so no-one watched and I don't think later seasons were even aired so it made sense or AMC to do a deal with Netflix for BB and Saul. Walking Dead has been given much more promotion and a better timeslot so they have no need to put it on Netflix.

Early impressions of House of Cards season 3 -- spoiler-free, he deliberately only talks in generalities:

'House of Cards' Season 3 still binge-worthy viewing

After seeing the first six hours of Season 3 of “House of Cards” pretty much straight-through, the most coherent thing I can tell its fans is that it is still absolutely binge-worthy.

I was up most of last night with Claire and Frank Underwood, and if Netflix had made the second half of the new season that drops Feb. 27 available as well, I’d still be with them.

I am going to be scrupulous about avoiding spoilers in this piece, so forgive me if it is bereft of plot specifics. You’ll thank me when you see it and get blown out of your seat by some of Frank’s more transgressive acts or a couple of the plot turns sculpted by writer and show runner Beau Willimon.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Akmal: Life of Akmal (Standup, Foreign)
Bhopal: A Prayer of Rain
Care Barron: A One Ended Stick (Standup)
Darr (Drama)
David Strassman: Careful What You Wish For (Standup)
Earth to Eacho (Family, Fantasy)
Exile Nation: The Plastic People (Documentary, Cultural)
Felony (Thriller, Foreign)
Filthy Riches Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Goddess of Marriage Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Land Girls Season 1-3 (TV, Drama)
In Secret (Romantic, Drama)
Lily's Driftwood Bay Season 1 (TV, Kids)
My Animal Friends Season 1 (TV, Kids)
My Own Man (Documentary)
Pete's Christmas (Family, Comedy)
Plastic Paradise (Documentary, Social)
Save the Date (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Stephanie in the Water (Documentary, Biographical)
Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story (Documentary, Sports)
Tabloid Truth (Thriller, Foreign)
The Last House on Cemetery Lane (Horror, Supernatural)
The Man on Her Mind (Indie, Comedy)
The Moon Embracing the Sun (TV, Drama, SciFi)
The Overnighters (Documentary, Cultural)
Through a Lens Darkly: Black Photographers (Documentary, Cultural)
Wounded: The Battle Back Home Season 1 (TV, Military)

Canada:

Ardennes Fury (Action, Foreign)
Austin Powers in Goldmember (Comedy)
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (Comedy, Shag now or later?)
Goodfellas (Drama, Crime)
Pee-wee's Big Adventure (Family, Comedy)
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Action, SciFi)
The Shining (Horror)
Zero Hour Season 1-3 (Documentary, Historical)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Anonymous (Drama)
Arj Barker: Joy Harvest (Standup)
Charlie's Angels ('00, Action, Comedy)
Hello Kitty Flanagan (Standup)
Jimeoin: Something...Smells Funny (Standup)
Life's a Breeze (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Problem Child: Leslie Jones (Standup)
The Umbilical Brothers: The Rehearsal (Standup)
White Bird in a Blizzard (Indie, Thriller)

Is there an easy way to find out which region has the 'better' selection? I used to think it was Sweden, but I'm not sure. Not really expecting a clear cut answer, as it's such an open subjective question.

I think there were people in this thread recommending Hotel Transylvania, so I just want to say thank you to everyone that did. I probably wouldn't have watched it otherwise, but I gave it a shot last night and absolutely loved it. The Halloween monster theme and a lot of the humour hit all the right notes for me.

Is there an easy way to find out which region has the 'better' selection? I used to think it was Sweden, but I'm not sure. Not really expecting a clear cut answer, as it's such an open subjective question.

Might be the US, although for new stuff it always seems to be a bit shitty. But it has way more older and lesser known stuff.

If you mean outside of the regions. I think Canada, but I haven't looked too much at the one in Sweden because of no English subtitles. It seemed pretty good though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think there were people in this thread recommending Hotel Transylvania, so I just want to say thank you to everyone that did. I probably wouldn't have watched it otherwise, but I gave it a shot last night and absolutely loved it. The Halloween monster theme and a lot of the humour hit all the right notes for me.

It was a nice surprise. You are right about the humor.

I checked Sweden again and it has a ton of movies I've been waiting for ages to appear on US/UK Netflix, so I'm good!

Austin Powers
Hot Shots
Cube 1,2,3

and a whole load of other stupid comedies and horrors.

Top Bottom