• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Asbel

I haven't watched UKS yet....

but the trailer seemed like the comedy was extremely forced.

Is that the case here?

That's kinda Tina Fey's comedic style, no? Just a ton of in your face references to popular culture. Ellie Kemper pulls it off well with a lot of charm.

Slacker

That's kinda Tina Fey's comedic style, no? Just a ton of in your face references to popular culture. Ellie Kemper pulls it off well with a lot of charm.

Binged through the whole show yesterday. Ellie Kemper knocked it out of the park. It seems like a difficult role, being the straight woman to the zaniness around her while providing a good amount of zaniness herself. I can't imagine a more perfect casting.

rexor0717

Yeah, she is way more wacky than Liz Lemon was, but she manages to be the grounding element. I thought the show was going to be shit from the trailer. Its great.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Aziz Ansari Live at Madison Square Garden (Standup, Netflix Original)
Archer Season 5 (TV, Comedy, Lannnnnaa)
Crash (Drama)
My Own Man (Documentary, Social, Netflix Original)

Xater

Yeah, she is way more wacky than Liz Lemon was, but she manages to be the grounding element. I thought the show was going to be shit from the trailer. Its great.

Oh yeah the trailer was god awful. Judging from the first 4 episodes it's way more clever and is not afraid from some really wacky stuff. I think it's an enjoyable show so far and I can see this getting better as we get more familiar with all the characters. That's kinda always the case with comedies I think.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ellie Kemper knocked it out of the park. It seems like a difficult role, being the straight woman to the zaniness around her while providing a good amount of zaniness herself. I can't imagine a more perfect casting.

She's great. The entire thing would come crumbling down if her performance wasn't pitch perfect.

I've watched about 3 episodes Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's actually pretty entertaining. it's kept my interest, and Ive had a few lol moments.

Xater

Shit this one joke got really dark in episode 9 of Kimmy. I also think the second half of the season is clearly where things really come together.

Gobias

Banned
OK I've watched half of Upstream Color. I kind of feel like my time could be better spent doing anything else.

Can anyone tell me if I should watch the rest?

The last 30 minutes or so are like 5% dialogue. From the sounds of things, you should probably bail out

Yeah, probably not for you, especially since you're stopping the movie to post on Gaf. I love the last 30 minutes of the movie though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finally watched, The Wolf of Wall Street. Holy fuck this movie is long. It was really good though. Leo was Leo like always. Jonah surprised me. He was great in this movie. Lots of cursing, drugs, sex and nudity.

Side note, kind of a joke this dude only got a few years of prison time.

the scene with kyle chandler on the train looking unsatisfied with life and leo in jail playing tennis kind of sells the whole moral to the story in the final few lines (paraphrased) "for a brief period I'd forgotten I was rich, and that I lived in a place where everything was for sale"

Gray Matter

Finally watched, The Wolf of Wall Street. Holy fuck this movie is long. It was really good though. Leo was Leo like always. Jonah surprised me. He was great in this movie. Lots of cursing, drugs, sex and nudity.

I think the movie did a bad job at explaining the legality behind the crimes. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the movie a lot.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
the scene with kyle chandler on the train looking unsatisfied with life and leo in jail playing tennis kind of sells the whole moral to the story in the final few lines (paraphrased) "for a brief period I'd forgotten I was rich, and that I lived in a place where everything was for sale"

Probably my favorite scene. It really does sum up the whole story. Should have just ended it there.

I think the movie did a bad job at explaining the legality behind the crimes. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the movie a lot.

I agree. I had to go look him up and read a little on his crimes/conviction. It is a movie though, so I'm sure they took liberties with his story.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The new Aziz comedy special is meh. Some keen observations but nothing new and didn't get more than a wan smile out of me.

Kaladin

So I'm about 5 episodes into Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I don't know why I like it, but I do.....it has a certain charm about it.

NBC would have canceled the shit out of this.

I like UKS, but it does feel kind of weird sometimes to be laughing at situations that were obviously inspired by the horrific experience of those women who were held captive in Cleveland for all those years.

Still funny, though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Back Issues: The Hustler Magazine Story (Documentary, Social)
Glee Season 5 (TV, Drama)
Hansel vs. Gretel (Horror, B-Horror)
Mr. Pip (Indie, Drama)

Asbel

I like UKS, but it does feel kind of weird sometimes to be laughing at situations that were obviously inspired by the horrific experience of those women who were held captive in Cleveland for all those years.

Still funny, though.
I'm curious how those girls feel about it and why Fey decided to make a comedy on it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The new Aziz comedy special is meh. Some keen observations but nothing new and didn't get more than a wan smile out of me.
Yeah, I thought it was really poor. Generally I think his stand-up is very hit or miss — I've really only liked one of his specials of the four available on Netflix — but this one is the worst.

The part where he read that woman's texts was entertaining, at least.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I watched Evil Dead 2 over the weekend. It is a campy film, filled with over-the-top scenes. But man, I really enjoyed it. It was my first watch and I think it lived up to the praise.

Time to watch the last one (also haven't seen).
If you haven't watched them I would recommend the Tommy Wirkola movies - have a similar campy horror feel coupled with similar gory practical effects. Dead Snow, Dead Snow 2, and Hansel and Gretel:Witch Hunters.

Damn Spartacus has some nice fight scenes, and a couple holy fuck moments. Only on about ep6 or 7 of s1 though

Welcome. The only unfortunate thing about that series was Andy's passing. But his replacement ended up doing a fine job in the role.

Love that series above all others.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Canada): I went into this blind, not knowing anything about the film. Charming indie film. Witty and visually great. The set production/design and camera work was probably my favorite thing about the movie. The cast (and their acting) is spectacular. Ralph Fiennes knocks it out of the park. As does Tony Revolori, the young man that plays Zero. Willem Dafoe's character was probably my favorite though.

If you haven't watched them I would recommend the Tommy Wirkola movies - have a similar campy horror feel coupled with similar gory practical effects. Dead Snow, Dead Snow 2, and Hansel and Gretel:Witch Hunters.

I saw Dead Snow a week or two back (really good) and H&G: Witch Hunters (surprisingly good) already. I need to watch the second DS soon.

Slacker

Finished The Fall today. Man, what a ride. At one point in season 2 I think I forgot to breathe for about 20 minutes. I really hope Season 3 is in the works.

I googled it looking for information on Season 3 and saw that Hollywood was considering a US remake of the show, which is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Why don't we remake the Godfather with a country/western theme while we're at it?

I watched The Boxcar Children this morning. It's very faithful to the book, with some exception. The CGI isn't very good, but it gets the job done. If you enjoy the original book, go ahead, but I don't feel it translates to a movie all that well, considering there's no real conflict or antagonist to the story, it's just some orphaned kids eking out life in an abandoned boxcar.

Jubern

Is there any downside in using a PS3 rather than a PS4 for Netflix ?

Since I live in Japan I'm using a DNS service (Unlocator) to access Netflix, but it cuts my speed down to a 5th (or worse) of what it normally is.
It's barely enough to handle HD, but it does and sometimes goes up to 1080p, so that's okay.
However I'm using my PS4 to watch Netflix and having 4-5 Mbps max speed is not sustainable if I am to download anything (updates, digita games) at all.

I'm considering using my now almost useless PS3 as a Netflix machine and was wondering whether I would lose anything meaningful by doing so.

lordxar

Since I live in Japan I'm using a DNS service (Unlocator) to access Netflix, but it cuts my speed down to a 5th (or worse) of what it normally is.
It's barely enough to handle HD, but it does and sometimes goes up to 1080p, so that's okay.
However I'm using my PS4 to watch Netflix and having 4-5 Mbps max speed is not sustainable if I am to download anything (updates, digita games) at all.

I'm considering using my now almost useless PS3 as a Netflix machine and was wondering whether I would lose anything meaningful by doing so.

I use my PS3 so it doesn't wear my PS4 out just watching movies.

lordxar

Wear what?

Fan, processor, hard disk, um I don't know whatever caused the YLOD/RROD from last gen that I had a couple of each. Netflix is kind of super low priority for me to use on a device that costs $400 to replace. A PS3 is way cheaper or better yet a Chromecast but since I own a PS3 and cant fit another HDMI device, its what I use.

Fan, processor, hard disk, um I don't know whatever caused the YLOD/RROD from last gen that I had a couple of each. Netflix is kind of super low priority for me to use on a device that costs $400 to replace. A PS3 is way cheaper or better yet a Chromecast but since I own a PS3 and cant fit another HDMI device, its what I use.

I'm usually paranoid about wearing out a console but I have been using my PS4 for Netflix. You're scaring me into going back to the PS3 :p

I'm using Unblock-US from Japan and don't have much of a problem with quality on my PS4 netflix app. They give you a 7 day free trial, so maybe try that out?

amrod

Netflix Denmark
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

Netflix Netherlands
After Earth (2013)

Netflix Luxembourg
The Returned - Season 1 (2015) (1 Ep added weekly)

The Cartoon Network thing is so frustrating since they seem to be leaving some shows untouched and even adding more seasons to them. Now I've gotta marathon young justice and mystery incorporated.

Top Bottom