• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Can anyone comment on the quality of this series? I have been looking for a new comedy to watch.

I haven't seen this show since the early 2000's. I remembered loving it. When it hit Netflix, I loaded up a few episodes. I still find it funny.

I would say, watch two or three episodes to see if it grabs you. The show is original, so it has that going for it. Plus John Lithgow really shines in this.

sdijoseph

I made it halfway through the second episode of UK office. God I just cant. Its horrible.

I made it through like 15 minutes of the pilot. The problem was that I had already watched the US version, and Season 1 of the US Office is basically a complete nearly verbatim copy of the UK series.

C4Lukins

Can anyone comment on the quality of this series? I have been looking for a new comedy to watch.

Ehhh. It has a lot of great actors, but it is pretty simple when it comes to the comedy. Not much edge there. If you can still enjoy older mid teer series like Wings, Friends, and Mork and Mindy, then yeah I say check it out. It certainly is a level above Full House, but I would put it below a lot of modern sitcoms, and the best of its contemparies like Seinfeld.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix To Show Chinese Drama ‘Empresses In The Palace'

Netflix has acquired popular Chinese drama Empresses In The Palace for its U.S. service, cutting down the original series’ 76 45-minute episodes into six 90-minute episodes.

The show, which first aired in China as well as several other Asian countries in 2011, follows the intrigues among the emperor’s concubines in the imperial palace of the Qing Dynasty.

I really dig period pieces, especially ones set in periods I'm unfamiliar with, but I'm torn on the fact that they've drastically cut out so much of the series - 57 hours down to 9? That's...a lot. I kind of wish they'd give us the option of both.

Intriguingly, however, the move’s real significance could be in marking a foundation for a major new relationship for the streaming giant with LeTV, one of China’s leading online video platforms with more than 100,000 TV episodes and 5,000 movies.

More about Netflix's possible expansion into China at the link.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'd imagine the show was probably a convoluted soap that they've edited down to follow one or two central storylines. The original episodes with subtitles appear to be on youtube, fwiw.

tchocky

At first I thought that was the chinese show taken off air for "technical reasons" but it turns out that was Empress of China and it has come back on air and they have edited the cleavage.

Netflix To Show Chinese Drama ‘Empresses In The Palace'

I really dig period pieces, especially ones set in periods I'm unfamiliar with, but I'm torn on the fact that they've drastically cut out so much of the series - 57 hours down to 9? That's...a lot. I kind of wish they'd give us the option of both.

More about Netflix's possible expansion into China at the link.
Yeah, that's gross. My first instinct is that they didn't want to pay for all of it to be translated. But editing it down like that, if they care about quality, won't be cheap either.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'd imagine the show was probably a convoluted soap that they've edited down to follow one or two central storylines. The original episodes with subtitles appear to be on youtube, fwiw.

Thanks for the info, but I doubt I would watch a nearly 60 hour long Chinese soap (it would have been nice for Netflix to give me the option though! :D).

(watch Banshee season 3 btw)

Gonna check out bloodlines tonight, didn't even realize it was dropping so soon. All these Netflix originals always catch me off guard, I love I though

Xater

Finally finished the first season of Fargo. I lost interest 3 episodes into its original run. I still think it's just alright. Had I not seen it I would not have missed it I think.

pulsemyne

I made it through like 15 minutes of the pilot. The problem was that I had already watched the US version, and Season 1 of the US Office is basically a complete nearly verbatim copy of the UK series.

Nah. While the pilot of the US office is the same it does change from there on. Besides, the UK is much better. Also as for the comment on the quality of the filming, remember that the whole idea of the Office is that it is filmed like a Docu-soap. It's lit in a natural sense as if it was really filmed in a real office. Also British TV (until high definition) was filmed at a higher resolution than in the US and it's looks a bit odd to americans (Just like American TV looked overly colourful and saturated to hell on UK TV).

Salsa

I tried to watch Orphan Black but jesus christ I cut myself on dat edge

made it half an hour and found the characters embarrasing

Salsa

I'll give Bloodline a shot even tho it doesnt really interest me based purely on how good Netflix original content has been

guess they're at that point

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Above All Else (Documentary, Biographical)
Amadeus (Drama, Musical)
American Revolutionary: Grace Lee Boggs (Documentary)
Before You Know It (Documentary, Biographical)
Bloodline Season 1 (TV, Drama, Netflix Original)
Deep Blue Sea (Action)
Evolution of a Criminal (Documentary, Biographical)
God's Not Dead (Drama, Faith)
Something, Anything (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
TEDTalks: Inexplicable Connections Season 1 (TV, Science)
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her/Him/Them (Drama)
The Foxy Merkins (Indie, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
The Guardian Season 1-3 (TV, Drama)
The Phantom of the Opera: Special Edition (Drama, Romantic)
Valley of Saints (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Salsa

yo, FORCE MAJEURE is now on Netflix

large_souBhWxIsuTNsmFiHfdpk1jeYQ4.jpg

watchwatchwatch

Cool, I had an indie movie festival a few weeks ago at my theater, but this movie was too late for me to attend. Still wanted to see it was it only released in once cinema in the entire country, so I am happy it showed up on Netflix.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Charlie Victor Romeo (Documentary, Experimental)
Practical Magic (Romantic, Comedy)
The Green Prince (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
Syriana (Drama)

Bloodline worth watching?

I'm only two episodes in, but I think so. Slow paced show.

I have to say, Netflix originals have great opening credits.

dork

Banned
Added today:

Charlie Victor Romeo (Documentary, Experimental)
Practical Magic (Romantic, Comedy)
The Green Prince (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
Syriana (Drama)

I'm only two episodes in, but I think so. Slow paced show.

I have to say, Netflix originals have great opening credits.

Just started the pilot. Figured someone would have binged it by now haha. <3 Kyle Chandler

tomtom94

Parallels was good but what's next, sequel, TV show? Kind of left hanging...

According to the writer/director in his Reddit AMA they're still working that out, but something is happening, which is good.

Apparently Tears of Steel which got uploaded to UK Netflix today is somewhat glitched, it has three episodes but episodes 2 and 3 are just episode 1 repeated twenty and forty times (!) respectively.

Salsa

im 4 eps in and I think its great

its a slow show and I guess it depends on what youre in the mood for but it really lives and dies on the cast and the acting is top notch

I actually kinda dislike that it has some mistery/omg hooks. I just enjoy it as a fucked up family drama.

Kaladin

I watched Open Windows. It's odd....very much a B movie, but good. It's one of those movies where the entire action takes place on a computer screen and while it wasn't bad, it was hard to get used to.

Top Bottom