• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

So it looks like there are a massive number of Shaw Brothers movies on netflix.

I'm watching Five Element Ninjas right now and it's pretty freaking sweet.

Any other netflix recommendations from those familiar with SB Kung Fu flicks?

Asbel

So it looks like there are a massive number of Shaw Brothers movies on netflix.

I'm watching Five Element Ninjas right now and it's pretty freaking sweet.

Any other netflix recommendations from those familiar with SB Kung Fu flicks?

Watched a bunch of them a couple weeks ago myself. I'm just loving the choreography of the fights. I think Kid with the Golden Arm is my favorite so far with the crazy styles. Heroes of the East is good for mixing Japanese vs Chinese styles (with obvious bias but Gordon Liu is so good).

Calabi

Just watched The Signal.

It was weird and good I liked it. I didn't have a clue, well maybe a slight idea of what was going on until the end. Has good interesting moments and visuals. Still dont really know what the point of it was though.

Xater

Finally started watching Narcos yesterday and have already seen 7 episodes. It's really good.

I think after that I will finally continue watching Sense8 which I only saw the first episode off. I liked that but didn't get immediately hooked. I'll probably give it two more episodes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Jack Strong (Thriller)
Let Us Prey (Horror, Supernatural)
Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection (Family)

Canada:

5 Flights Up (Drama)
Despicable Me 2 (Family)
Merchants of Doubt (Documentary, Social)
Time Lapse (Indie, Thriller, SciFi)
Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection (Family)
Wild Tales (Comedy, Foreign)

Italy:

London Boulevard (Thriller, Crime)
The Grudge 2 (Horror, Supernatural)
Untraceable (Thriller, Crime)
Valkyrie (Thriller)
War (Action)

Australia:

Troy (Action)
Tyrant Season 1 (TV, Drama)

Brazil:

Armageddon (Drama, SciFi)
The Aura (Drama, Foreign)

Sweden:

Gotham Season 1 (TV, Action)
Seven Pounds (Drama)
The Legend of Hercules (Action, Fantasy)

Norway:

Batman vs Robin (Action, Animation)

Watched a bunch of them a couple weeks ago myself. I'm just loving the choreography of the fights. I think Kid with the Golden Arm is my favorite so far with the crazy styles. Heroes of the East is good for mixing Japanese vs Chinese styles (with obvious bias but Gordon Liu is so good).

I just saw Kid with the Golden Arm and it was really good.

Also saw The Five Venoms and The Masked Avengers. There are less fight scenes in TFV. It's more of a mystery plot, but still quite neat (final fight is worth it).

The Masked Avengers consists of a ton of trident-based fights. It's awesome.

Respect

I believe it was by design. So that you were just as confused about what was happening as the characters. I really enjoyed Shrine.

The Taking Of Deborah Logan. Found footage movie.
Absentia. Just a heads up, this is slow paced.
Grabbers. More horror-comedy.
Dead End. Was a nice surprise.
The House Of The Devil. Really slow paced. I usually hate these types of films, but it worked for me.

Lots actually.

+1 was decent
Monkeys Paw
From the Dark
Late Phases was very good...hoky but good
Beneath
Hell
Starry Eyes was dark, and violent at the end
The Relic is a creature feature

Best one I found is Dark was the Night. I really enjoyed that quite a bit.

Saw Dark was the Night over the weekend on your suggestion, really enjoyed it. Good flick.

Will definitely have to check these others as soon as I can - thanks for the suggestions!

nicolajNN

Interesting Star Wars news. Netflix Canada will get The Force Awakens next year, the US won't. Also a small update on the previous movies.

On a different matter, for the past week or so I've had to accept Netflix' ToS on the PS4 app at least once every day, anyone had something similar happen? It should be mentioned that I'm on the US Netflix and haven't been on my native one in a while

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im actually into Hemlock Grove. I dont think its good per se, but its the kind of random supernatural bullshit that is up my alley. Much like American Horror Story

Aww shit, that Disney Shorts Collection has Lorenzo in it. I've been wanting to see that short for years, I can't believe it took so long for it to get a home video release.

And it's sooooo good.

Just saw The Shrine yesterday, enjoyed it alot, despite the typical dumb decisions by the characters at times.

I was in an extreme haunted house earlier this year and I saw a mirror. Common sense, right now, should tell me don't look in the mirror. I was so caught up in the moment that what I did was look in the damn mirror. Since that moment I've realized that in the "heat of the moment" some of the dumb decisions by characters are not quite as dumb as I used to think. When you're under a lot of adrenaline and legitimately scared you can't think clearly. Sometimes I think movies are going for that.

On a side note, upon looking in the mirror I got blasted in the face with an air compressor so hard it knocked my hat off of my head and I had to find it in a dark corridor.

Also, seconding Dark was the Night. I enjoyed it.

Nyx

Finally watched It Follows...

Well, that surely was disappointing, the first 30 minutes or so were interesting but nothing new actually happened since then and suddenly the movie just ends.

Finally watched It Follows...

Well, that surely was disappointing, the first 30 minutes or so were interesting but nothing new actually happened since then and suddenly the movie just ends.

That movie had potential but, turned out to be pretty meh. Another one to avoid, at all costs, is Unfriended. The only good thing that came out of me watching that was that I can spare someone else 90 minutes of their life.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

August: Osage County (Drama)
Chasing Life Season 2 (TV, Drama)
Cru (Indie, Drama)
Dinotopia Season 1 (TV, Faimly)
Manson Family Vacation (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
The Human Centipede 3: The Final Sequence (Horror)
Trick or Treaters (Family)

Canada:

5 to 7 (Romantic, Comedy)
Captain Phillips (Drama)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Family)
White God (Drama, Foreign)

UK:

Barfly (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
Bat*21 (Action, Drama)
Capitalism: A Love Story (Documentary, Social)
Gang Related (Crime, Drama)
Intersection (Romantic, Drama)
Man of La Mancha (Action)
The Party (Comedy)
Tom Sawyer (Family)

Japan:

Watchmen (Action, SciFi)

Italy:

Arthur and the Invisibles (Family)
Gerhard Richter Painting (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
La Havre (Indie, Comedy)
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Romantic, Comedy)
Mrs. Henderson Presents (Drama, Comedy)
Swimming Pool (Thriller, Foreign)
Tamara Drewe (Romantic, Comedy)
The Barbarian Invasions (Indie, Drama)
The Conspirator (Drama)
The Piano Teacher (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
The Tree of Life (Indie, Drama)
Vincere (Drama)

France:

The Bucket List (Drama)

Netherlands:

Beautiful Creatures (Romantic, Fantasy)
Legend of the Guardians (Family)
Life as We Know It (Romantic, Comedy)
Ride Along (Action, Comedy)
Shipwrecked (Family)

mkenyon

Banned
I believe it was by design. So that you were just as confused about what was happening as the characters. I really enjoyed Shrine.

The Taking Of Deborah Logan. Found footage movie.
Absentia. Just a heads up, this is slow paced.
Grabbers. More horror-comedy.
Dead End. Was a nice surprise.
The House Of The Devil. Really slow paced. I usually hate these types of films, but it worked for me.
This is a really good list.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some stuff I have watched recently:

Gotham: Three episodes into the series. I'm enjoying it. Is the rest of the season/show hammy (in terms of acting)? Seems like everyone is dialing it up a notch or trying to outdo each other.

Captain Phillips (Canada): This was fantastic. It had me at the edge of my seat the whole way through. Tom knocks it out as usual. Barkhad Abdi was great too. If the part
where the SEALs take out all three at once is true, that is insane. Man those guys are crazy good. Especially considering the environment in which they had to do it.
Well recommended.

Circle: I love these types of movies (Exam. Would You Rather?). Where it is more about how people try to survive in these messed up situations more than anything. The premise is there are 50 people in a circle and every two minutes, someone in the circle dies. I could have done without the whole
Aliens
thing, but I enjoyed it.

The Relic: Good, creature horror movie. Kinda gets over the top towards the end, though.

The Loved Ones (Australia): Average horror movie about an obsessed person. More torture than anything.

Eden Lake (Australia): Another torture horror movie. I thought this would play out line a revenge movie. Michael Fassbender was great, but Jack O'Connell as the annoying little shit was great as well. You will absolutely hate the character. Which brings me to my only complaint of the movie,
the ending. And the dissatisfaction of not seeing O'Connell's character get what is coming to him.

Today's Special: Nice little indie flick about a chef trying to find love and approval of his family. I'm a big fan of Aasif Mandvi, so I enjoyed it.

Ex Machina (Canada): I will start this by saying this is probably not a film for everything. I can see why people would dislike it, but I thought it was compelling, beautifully shot and well-acted. Only three characters, but I thought they each had great chemistry with each other. Didn't see the ending coming, but it was great.

kiguel182

Circle: I love these types of movies (Exam. Would You Rather?). Where it is more about how people try to survive in these messed up situations more than anything. The premise is there are 50 people in a circle and every two minutes, someone in the circle dies. I could have done without the whole
Aliens
thing, but I enjoyed it.

As someone who has a thing for these types of movies I enjoyed Circle but I felt it had too many characters at the start and it took some time to really get interesting. I prefer my closed room movies with a smaller group.

But, in the end, I pretty much enjoy every movie with this type of setting so I still really enjoyed it.

I'm enjoying Hemlock Grove season 3. I know most everyone here hates it and I understand the reasoning but, it's one of those shows I enjoy for some reason. Early on they're really focused on the upir part, which is my favorite by far, so that helps.

I can't really recommend it to anyone but, it's a good watch for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
As someone who has a thing for these types of movies I enjoyed Circle but I felt it had too many characters at the start and it took some time to really get interesting. I prefer my closed room movies with a smaller group.

But, in the end, I pretty much enjoy every movie with this type of setting so I still really enjoyed it.

Do you know any other films like those?

KungFury is really weird film.

I enjoyed it. Way too short though. Really campy film and over the top.

kiguel182

Do you know any other films like those?

From the top of my head I watched one called The Killing Room recently that I enjoyed. The premise is similar but we are shown the side of the people performing the experiment as well as the victim's. It's on Netflix UK.

Bleepey

I am having trouble configuring adfreetime on my ps3. Is there an idiots guide anywhere. I reset everything on my PS3 and my settings are fucked up and i am having trouble region switching. What do I do?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
From the top of my head I watched one called The Killing Room recently that I enjoyed. The premise is similar but we are shown the side of the people performing the experiment as well as the victim's. It's on Netflix UK.

Thank you. Watching it now.

I am having trouble configuring adfreetime on my ps3. Is there an idiots guide anywhere. I reset everything on my PS3 and my settings are fucked up and i am having trouble region switching. What do I do?

Did you check out this guide on the site?

https://adfreetime.com/get-started/ps-3/

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

1001 Grams (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Cruel & Unusual (Indie, Drama, Crime)
If You Build It (Documentary, Social)
Popples Season 1 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
Nowitzki: The Perfect Shot (Documentary, Biographical, Sports)
Return to Sender (Indie, Thriller)
Seeds of Time (Documentary, Science)
Sunset Edge (Indie, Drama)
The Great Museum (Documentary, Cultural, Foreign)
Tu dors Nicole (Comedy, Drama)

Canada:

The Beast (Thriller, Foreign)

UK:

Bleach Season 1-3 (Anime)

Japan:

A Distance Cry From Spring (Drama, Foreign)
Ain't The Bodies Saints (Indie, Crime, Drama)
Alexander: Director's Cut (Action)
Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (Thriller, Foreign)
Blancanieves (Indie, Drama)
Dear My Love (Drama, Foreign)
Eiga Tatekawa Danshi (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
Helen the Baby Fox (Family, Foreign)
Hinokio (Drama, SciFi, Foreign)
Kon-tiki (Drama, Foreign)
Le Chevalier D'Eon (Anime)
Side Effects (Thriller, Crime)
Silent Hill (Horror, Supernatural)
The Aviator (Drama)
The Demon (Thriller, Foreign)
The Discarnates (Horror, Foreign)
The Double Life of Veronique (Drama, Foreign)
The Impossible (Drama, Foreign)
Trois Couleurs - Blanc (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Trois Couleurs - Bleu (Drama, Foreign)
Trois Couleurs - Bleu (Drama, Foreign)
Zettaishogeki Platonic Heart (Anime)

Spain:

Hamilton: In the Interest of the Nation (Action, Thriller)
Resistance (Documentary, Science)

Italy:

Babel (Indie, Drama)
Barbara (Drama)
Blindness (Drama, SciFi, Foreign)
Shame (Indie, Drama)
The Assault (Action, Foreign)
The Heir Apparent: Largo Winch (Action, Thriller, Foreign)
The Sentinel (Thriller)
Whale Rider (Indie, Drama)

France:

Huntik (Anime)

Mexico:

Eco de la Montana (Documentary, Biographical)
Resident Evil: Retribution (Horror, SciFi)
The Hours with You (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What did you think of it?

It was alright. There were some interesting parts from the other side of the glass. I didn't think the choices being made by the people were interesting and it felt
too controlled by the people running the program.
It had me hooked when
he killed the woman
, but it fell apart after that.

I have to say, the music bothered me a lot. Poorly scored.

The machine is budget conscious.

Right. And I understand that. I wish they explained it in the show though. Something like "there's no way we could save everyone the machine spits out, Mr. Reese, so I've calibrated it to within a 200 mile radius of NYC."

Or something like that. Otherwise I'm sitting here and feel like I can glimpse behind the curtain.

Other than that, I'd say the last three episodes have really got me more hooked than the first handful were.

lordxar

Right. And I understand that. I wish they explained it in the show though. Something like "there's no way we could save everyone the machine spits out, Mr. Reese, so I've calibrated it to within a 200 mile radius of NYC."

Or something like that. Otherwise I'm sitting here and feel like I can glimpse behind the curtain.

Other than that, I'd say the last three episodes have really got me more hooked than the first handful were.

I get the inference that since 9/11 happened there, it's focused there (duh but I mean more than that). More because the city is a lot more condensed than say Chicago or LA so it's easier to hit. Plus it's like a hub for international travel so would get a lot of traffic and might be one of the best cities for staging attacks further in, easier to reach from Europe. Or maybe the show is limited in scope :) Besides, would be hard to protect too many at once all over with a two man team.

Top Bottom