• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Karu

Freaks & Geeks is one of those shows that I wouldn't rate that high, some of the acting and tonality is totally out of whack. (Only watched once with relatively high expectations).

But... I'm a huge fan of quality(!!) teen drama/comedy and in that particular space F&Gs is so unique, has a great cast and potential that would have carried it many, many more seasons.

So while it isn't top 10 material for me (Rewatch is definitely on my to-do list), one of the saddest cancellations. And I only saw it in 2013 or 14. Once in a lifetime television show oppprtunity and they fucking blew it...

I've now on a free trial of unblock-us, I only want a location changer for Netflix purposes anyway so I likely will pay for a subscription once the trial time is up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom: A great piece of documentary. It was powerful stuff. Man, the men and women that protested, helped others, and didn't stand down were really brave. And honestly, it was inspiring to see.

Where this doc fails, however, is providing all kind of information about the events leading to, during, and after the protests. While the doc gives you a view about what the protesters went through and their struggles to fight back, you won't learn anything from the conflict that took place. And you won't hear from the other side either. Even with this, I think it is well worth the watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
10) It Follows (Netflix Australia): Horror-gaf redeemed.

Given some of the track record horror-gaf has, I went into this with extremely low expectations. This was a great horror movie. Although, I think this is one of those love it or hate it type of films.

The movie had an old school Jason/Myers feel to it. Something about how it just slowly walks to its victim, makes it more menacing.

The music/soundtrack was amazing. It added a lot to the atmosphere and feel to the whole thing. Probably worth the watch for the music.

Gray Matter

So beast of no nation

I went into it blind, saw all the praise it was getting and I left disappointed. Not a bad movie by any means, but I struggled to watch continuously. I must have passed the movie a few times and went to do something else.

Nyx

Finished Friday Night Lights the series, very very good with a nice ending as well.
So many interesting characters...!

And watched Big Hero 6 yesterday, such a lovely and fun animated movie!

Aloha wasn't as bad as I thought. Yeah the Emily Blunt casting could have been better, but it's not total dogshit like the reviews make it out to be. It was a sweet movie, a hot mess, but still with enough Cameron Crowe signature moments.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yeah, just finished watching Season 3 of Continuum at 4.25 and Netflix went down. Haven't been able to access my account.
Good man for watching Continuum! Such a great show, shame it's dead now :(
The 4th and final season has already aired in Canada, no idea when it'll be added to Netflix but all 6 episodes are available to stream at Showcase's website.

So Netflix just started in Japan last month--does anyone know if there's a good resource for finding out what's coming and going on Netflix Japan?
http://unogs.com/ is the best place for additions, not sure if there is any currently tracking expirations worldwide.

moreflicks used to be good, but it's been broken for months now.
Yup, at least it's somewhat useful for finding things in other stream sites besides Netflix.

Watched the first episode of Jane the Virgin. Pretty damn good. I love how it doesn't shy away from Spanish culture.

Edit - Holy crap, 22 episodes. Fucking hell, less is more studios.
The original Venezuelan show is like 150+ episodes.

I just noticed that Netflix finally added a category section to their app. YES!
I mentioned it a few days ago and was thoroughly ignored :(

Edge of Tomorrow is already gone from Netflix Canada? It was just added! wtf is going on?
No idea, but it's still up on Nordic Netflix.

shit

is there a good and free alternative?
Not that I can think of, you are better off using unblock-us, adfreetime and the like.

What does that link say? It's in German.
The free tier of Hola meant that your access (and bandwidth) was taken from other users (and other users used you).
The main problem (I mean, besides all the potential security risks) was that this wasn't clearly (or at all) mentioned on Hola's webpage.

I've now on a free trial of unblock-us, I only want a location changer for Netflix purposes anyway so I likely will pay for a subscription once the trial time is up.
FWIW, I have been using them for years and never had an issue. They also add new netflix regions really fast.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I mentioned it a few days ago and was thoroughly ignored :(

I didn't see your post :(

The free tier of Hola meant that your access (and bandwidth) was taken from other users (and other users used you).
The main problem (I mean, besides all the potential security risks) was that this wasn't clearly (or at all) mentioned on Hola's webpage.

That's pretty shady. Still, I only ever have Hola installed when I'm using it and I always uninstall in when I'm not using it, so that's probably still okay right?

Ran rp

Is the windows app constantly crashing for anyone else? I don't even want to watch anything anymore because whenever I try to select any bitrate other than the default the app instantly crashes and closes. I guess I could still use my PS4 if it supports high bitrates. It's not ideal though.

tomtom94

The thing is, this absolutely is mentioned on Hola's webpage. They make it perfectly clear that they operate as a peer-to-peer service and that that's how they are able to sustain what would otherwise be a blatantly loss-making operation.

There are plenty of legitimate concerns to attack Hola on, don't fall into the trap of "but they lied to me".

Well, if they can actually pull off that many good episodes in a season then I'm not gonna tell them to make less.

I guess due to the story/plot, they wanted to stretch it out instead of rushing it. But I really prefer short 13 episodes seasons. Get through them in a weekend and move onto the next thing.

It's not stretched at all. Plot twists and events that would take normal shows an entire season are carried out gracefully in JtV in 2-3 episodes, if not the very next episode.

The season is tight and eventful and no plotline feels wasted or throwaway as it always serves to strengthen the characters.

The show is amazing.

wouwie

25 years late but i'm finally watching Twin Peaks. However, i seem to recall reading somewhere that the 2nd season was not as good as the first one. Is that some sort of general consensus? Should i stick to watching only the first season?

25 years late but i'm finally watching Twin Peaks. However, i seem to recall reading somewhere that the 2nd season was not as good as the first one. Is that some sort of general consensus? Should i stick to watching only the first season?

This comes up so often, yes the 2nd season has some real lows, but it is worth it. There is a lot to appreciate and many of the series greatest moments are in the 2nd season. The finale is spectacular.

And just because it isn't all good doesn't mean it's bad. That goes for most things really. You are going to find faults in every work of art, but the best art transcends those faults, and those faults become an important part of the artwork's identity.

So Netflix is back for me!

After 3 days I'm able to log in and play any tittle in any region. I'm convinced It was related to the launch of the service in Spain.

¡Bienvenido a España, Netflix!

That's pretty shady. Still, I only ever have Hola installed when I'm using it and I always uninstall in when I'm not using it, so that's probably still okay right?

Sure, as long as you're cool with your computer being part of a botnet whenever you watch a film.

I've started watching Scream. It's kind of terrible I'm still finding it really fun to watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Canadan:

Ex Machina (Indie, Thriller, SciFi
It Follows (Horror, Thriller, STD)

Japan:

Attack the Block (Action, SciFi)
Blassreiter (Anime)
Gamera 1-3 (SciFi, Foreign)
Gangs of New York (Drama)
Gekijouban Shutainzu Ge-to Fuka Ryouiki (Anime)
Goke the Vampire (Drama, Fantasy)
Hissatsu 1-5 (Action, Foreign)
Kaleido Star (Anime)
Little Witch Academia (Anime)
Little Witch Academia: Enchanted Parade (Anime)
Riddick (Action, SciFi)
The Eternal Zero Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
The Great Dictator (Comedy)
The Living Skeleton (Horror, Foreign)
The X From Outer Space (Family, SciFi)
War of the Insects (SciFi)

Spain:

28 Days Later (Horror, Zombie)
300 (Action)
88 Minutes (Thriller)
8 Mile (Drama)
Along Came Polly (Romantic, Comedy)
American Horror Story 1-2 (TV, Horror)
American Hustle (Drama, Crime)
American Pie (Comedy)
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Comedy)
Appaloosa (Drama, Western)
Around the World in 80 Days (Action, Comedy)
Arrow Season 1-2 (TV, Action)
Back to the Future 1-3 (Action, SciFi)
Battlestar Galactia Season 1-4 (TV, SciFi)
Bean: The Movie (Comedy)
Black Lagoon (Anime)
Casper ('95, Family)
Cast Away (Drama)
Catch Me If You Can (Drama)
Collateral (Thriller)
Coming to America (Comedy)
Conan the Barbarian ('11, Action)
Coraline (Family)
Day of the Dead (Zombie)
Dead Man (Drama, Western)
Dexter Season 1-8 (TV, Drama)
Dreamcatcher (Horror, Drama, Supernatural)
Ender's Game (Action, SciFi)
Enemy at the Gates (Drama, War)
Fantastic 4 1-2 (Action)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Comedy)
Freddy vs Jason (Horror)
Gotham Season 1 (TV, Action)
Half Baked (Comedy)
Homeland Season 1-3 (TV, Drama)
House at the End of the Street (Thriller)
Isabel Season 1-3 (TV, Drama)
John Wick (Action, Thriller)
Junimond (Romantic, Drama)
Lord of the Rings 1-3 (Action, Fantasy)
Madagascar 1-3 (Family)
Memento (Indie, Thriller)
Minority Report (Action, SciFi)
Mongol (Drama, Foreign)
Oliver Twist ('05, Drama)
Orphan Black Season 1-3 (TV, Drama, SciFi)
Paranormal Xperience 3D (Horror, Supernatural)
Pee-wee's Playhouse Season 1-5 (TV, Kids)
Pokemon Movies, Indigo, Black & White (TV, Kids)
Rubble Kings (Documentary, Social)
Rush Hour 2-3 (Action, Comedy)
Sinister (Horror, Supernatural)
Super 8 (Family)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ('90, Family)
The Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3 Season 1 (TV, Kids)
The Cove (Documentary, Social)
The Island (Thriller, SciFi)
The Italian Job (Action, Thriller)
The IT Crowd Season 1-5 (TV, Comedy)
The Jacket (Indie, Thriller)
The Number 23 (Thriller)
The Perfect Host (Thriller)
The Players (Comedy, Foreign)

France:

Aloha (Romantic, Comedy)
Richie Rich Season 1-2 (TV, Family, Netflix Original)
The Sitter (Comedy)

Mexico:

Penguins of Madagascar: The Movie (Family)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I didn't see your post :(

No worries, at least someone else noticed the fact that categories (one of Netlifx's apps long standing problems) are finally available... we even got a new "Netflix Originals" category at last!

Well, a bit better, especially if you use the Chrome extension since they claim on their page it's no longer P2P.

The thing is, this absolutely is mentioned on Hola's webpage. They make it perfectly clear that they operate as a peer-to-peer service and that that's how they are able to sustain what would otherwise be a blatantly loss-making operation.

There are plenty of legitimate concerns to attack Hola on, don't fall into the trap of "but they lied to me".
Eh kinda, they did mention the P2P thing on their page for a long time (although they could've been more clear on the terms of things like "idle"), what got people angry was that they were *selling* your exit to others through another company if you used the free alternative, which was not mentioned in the FAQ or anywhere until late May this year.

So Netflix is back for me!

After 3 days I'm able to log in and play any tittle in any region. I'm convinced It was related to the launch of the service in Spain.

¡Bienvenido a España, Netflix!
Cool, I thought it was going to debut there later. Also unogs has all the content listed already, bless their awesome hearts.

Black Mirror is now propably in all Netflix countries.

My favourite episodes from each Season: 3 from Season 1, 2 from Season 2.

Xmas special was terrific.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sure, as long as you're cool with your computer being part of a botnet whenever you watch a film.

What's a botnet and why is it bad?

No worries, at least someone else noticed the fact that categories (one of Netlifx's apps long standing problems) are finally available... we even got a new "Netflix Originals" category at last!

Well, a bit better, especially if you use the Chrome extension since they claim on their page it's no longer P2P.

Yes! That's the biggest thing for me - finally having a way to see all of their original content in one place.

That's good because the Chrome extension is the version of Hola that I use*.

*occasionally

fenners

Guys, the Great British Bake Off is pretty damn great.

Yes, yes it is. I'm glad it's getting some attention over here. My wife & I have been watching it for the past few seasons & it's absolutely riveting TV despite being technically 'reality tv'. Just a great sense of warm fuzzy feelings, great structure, and baking.

What's a botnet and why is it bad?

it's a linked network of computers working together to do something. Remember when PSN and Live went down at xmas, that was because a botnet was constantly spamming them with dummy requests. Hola were (are? who knows) creating a botnet out of their users and renting it out, thats how they funded the free service.
They claim they were only allowing legitimate uses but personally I'm not comfortable with anyone else using my bandwidth (especially not when I have no control over what its being used for).

Yes, yes it is. I'm glad it's getting some attention over here. My wife & I have been watching it for the past few seasons & it's absolutely riveting TV despite being technically 'reality tv'. Just a great sense of warm fuzzy feelings, great structure, and baking.

For me a lot of it has to do with the pace. The 3 challenges one right into the next, make for really solid 15 minutes chunks of competition that makes it easy to say, oh ill just watch one more bake.

Netflix Portugal has been released, not seeing much that´s exclusive. Maybe the Phoenix Wright movie (Jap and Spanish audio, Portuguese and Spanish subtitles).
It´s pretty empty, maybe 100 or so titles total.

Vibranium

Banned
I was kind of disappointed with Ex Machina, I think I want to see more uplifting and positive AI movies, that's probably why. It was still well made though, I'm excited for Alex Garland's next stuff.

The whole time I wanted Karl Urban to show up as Judge Dredd and handle the situation lol.

Nyx

I was kind of disappointed with Ex Machina, I think I want to see more uplifting and positive AI movies, that's probably why. It was still well made though, I'm excited for Alex Garland's next stuff.

The whole time I wanted Karl Urban to show up as Judge Dredd and handle the situation lol.

Yeah it got pretty depressing in the last bit, but as I didn't see it coming I was pleasantly surprised.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
it's a linked network of computers working together to do something. Remember when PSN and Live went down at xmas, that was because a botnet was constantly spamming them with dummy requests. Hola were (are? who knows) creating a botnet out of their users and renting it out, thats how they funded the free service.
They claim they were only allowing legitimate uses but personally I'm not comfortable with anyone else using my bandwidth (especially not when I have no control over what its being used for).

Thanks for explaining. That doesn't sound very good, but at least they're not doing it anymore (?).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Back in Time (Documentary, Cultural, This is Heavy)
Ballet 422 (Documentary, Cultural)
Hungry Hearts (Drama, Foreign)
Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered (TV, Kids)
Mea Culpa (Action, Foreign)

Spain:

Gran Reserva Season 1-3 (TV, Drama)
House of Voices (Thriller, Foreign)
LOL (Romantic, Comedy)
The Kids Are All Right (Indie, Drama, Comedy)

Mexico:

Red River (Action, Western)
The Flash Season 1 (TV, Action)
The Return of the Living Dead (Horror, Zombie)
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three ('74, '98, Thriller)

Xater

Added today:

Back in Time (Documentary, Cultural, This is Heavy)
Ballet 422 (Documentary, Cultural)
Hungry Hearts (Drama, Foreign)
Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered (TV, Kids)
Mea Culpa (Action, Foreign)

Spain:

Gran Reserva Season 1-3 (TV, Drama)
House of Voices (Thriller, Foreign)
LOL (Romantic, Comedy)
The Kids Are All Right (Indie, Drama, Comedy)

Mexico:

Red River (Action, Western)
The Flash Season 1 (TV, Action)
The Return of the Living Dead (Horror, Zombie)
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three ('74, '98, Thriller)

I reviewed The Kids Are All Right when it came out on DVD/Blu-ray. I enjoyed it.

Top Bottom