• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Kaladin

Fuck yeah Continuum. I saw the pilot and was intrigued, but it was right around the time I was cutting the cable cord so I didn't watch anymore. Glad I didn't have to wait long.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This would be a really good HDTGM movie.

Either that, or another Leprechaun episode. All of those Leprechaun movies were terrible.

The only thing that interested me about the trailer was the name Eli Roth. Looked very Twilight / poor man's True Blood to me.

Regardless of the twilight/TB feel, I figured coming the home run that was House of Cards, and on the heels of Arrested Developments debut, I thought it would be more talked about.

Kaladin

Regardless of the twilight/TB feel, I figured coming the home run that was House of Cards, and on the heels of Arrested Developments debut, I thought it would be more talked about.

It may be like Lillyhammer. Completely under the rader but still totally awesome in it's own way.

Everyone should watch Lillyhammer btw.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It may be like Lillyhammer. Completely under the rader but still totally awesome in it's own way.

Everyone should watch Lillyhammer btw.

Yeah, it looks that way. When I was making that list, I said to myself, 'oh shit, forgot Hemlock is hitting soon.' I'm looking forward to it.

And yes, Lillyhammer is a solid series. I wonder when we are getting season 2.

Kaladin

Yeah, it looks that way. When I was making that list, I said to myself, 'oh shit, forgot Hemlock is hitting soon.' I'm looking forward to it.

I think unlike Lillyhammer, Netflix might actually advertise Hemlock Grove. Seriously, you have to know about Lillyhammer to even find it on Netflix.

Bulk_Rate

Holy Motors is a bewildering and delightful movie about
actors who perform in the real world for microscopic cameras in the air
. (Spoiler tagged if you want to go in clean.) It's up today in the US.

MV5BODk2MDc4MDk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcyODY1OA@@._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg

That's one interpretation :)

I think unlike Lillyhammer, Netflix might actually advertise Hemlock Grove. Seriously, you have to know about Lillyhammer to even find it on Netflix.

I don't think Netflix was very proud of the production quality of Lillyhammer, it was a bit of a toe in the water for them when it came to original content.

I liked Lillyhammer for what it was but I'm not exactly dying for a second season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I don't think Netflix ever really saw LH as their own creation. Probably why it wasn't marketed.

Edit- Culture has the same idea. The thing is, LH was already in production, way before Netflix was involved. All they did was come along, and nab the exclusive license for streaming.

Looking up info on s2, they replaced Steven with Tom Morello apparently.

Kaladin

Looking up info on s2, they replaced Steven with Tom Morello apparently.

I think you read that wrong, Tom Morello is replacing Van Zandt as the guitar player in the E Street Band while filming of season 2 takes place. Not in the show.

Either that, or I read what you typed wrong.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think you read that wrong, Tom Morello is replacing Van Zandt as the guitar player in the E Street Band while filming of season 2 takes place. Not in the show.

Ahh ok, I was the one that read it wrong lol.

That's funny. I hadn't heard of a second season so I went to wikipedia as well and saw Morello was replacing him (thinking the show and not E street band) and thought WTF!

Gobias

Banned
Everyone should watch Adaptation before it expires. Also, do shows typically get back on Netflix quickly after expiring? I missed my chance to watch The Fall.

I just added like 12 Cartoon Network and Adult Swim shows to my instant queue though so I should be fine for a while.

Watched Nine Dead last night.
Some of the worst acting I've seen in a while, and the ending
has to be the worst ending ever. I was stunned. Almost as if there was an editing mistake, or everyone decided to go home for the day.

Still, I liked it. I always enjoy movies that place several different personalities in a room together and watch what unfolds.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On a side note, I'm surprised at the lack of hype surrounding Hemlock Grove.

I think that's due to a few reasons:

#1 - Nobody is hyping it up because no one has seen it yet. Not even critics, as far as I know.
#2 - David Fincher and Kevin Spacey are far more well known than Eli Roth and Famke Janssen, so House of Cards naturally had more hype.
#3 - Most of the hoopla surrounding House of Cards had to do with the "all at once" delivery method. That's all old news now.
#4 - The trailer looked a bit 'meh'.

I'm sure hype will increase as we get closer to the release day.

As a die hard RATM fan, that's even weirder to me than the idea of Morello replacing Van Zandt in the show. haha

Watched Nine Dead last night.
Some of the worst acting I've seen in a while, and the ending
has to be the worst ending ever. I was stunned. Almost as if there was an editing mistake, or everyone decided to go home for the day.

Still, I liked it. I always enjoy movies that place several different personalities in a room together and watch what unfolds.

If you like those types of films here's a few more suggestions off the top of my head that I saw on Netflix:

"Exam" -- Group of eager applicants are sat in a room together with the intention of taking a written exam in order to secure their dream job with one of the world's richest companies. However it's quickly made clear that they're all instead competing with one another in a hand crafted social and psychological experiment.

"Vile" -- Several groups of strangers wake up to find themselves trapped in a house with their only way of escape being to inflict serious pain upon one another.

Both of those flicks also have far better acting than 9 Dead.

I think there might be a "Cube" movie on Netflix as well, but don't quote me on it. Those are pretty fun watches for that sort of thing as well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

48 Hrs (Action, Comedy)
Along Came a Spider (Thriller)

America's Funniest Home Videos: Best in... (TV, Reality, Comedy)
Arthur and the Invisibles (Animation, Family)

Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous (TV, Animation)
Astonishing X-Men: Torn (TV, Animation)
Astonishing X-Men: Unstoppable (TV, Animation)

Azur and Asmar: The Princes' Quest (Animation, Family)
Black Butler (Anime)

Braveheart (Action, Drama)
Butterfly (Drama, Foreign)
Cheech & Chong's Hey Watch This (Comedy, Stand-up)
Chobits (Anime)
Chrome Shelled Regios (Anime)

Cool World (Action, Animation, Fantasy)
Crossing Over (Drama)
D. Gray-man Season 2 (Anime)
Dead Again (Thriller)
The Dead Zone (Supernatural, Thriller)

The Dead (Drama)
The Devil's Own (Action, Thriller)
Dirty Girl (Comedy)
DreamWorks Happy Holidays from Madagascar (Animation, Family)
Eden of the East (Anime)

Eden of the East the Movie I: The King (Anime)
Edge of Dreaming (Documentary)
Eureka Season 5 (TV, Drama, Sci-Fi)
Eye for an Eye (Crime, Thriller)
Fatal Attraction (Thriller)

Footloose (Drama, 1984 version)

Fringe Season 1-4 (TV, Sci-Fi, Drama)
Girls Bravo (Anime)
Harlem Nights (Mobster, Action)
Hatfields & McCoys (TV, Miniseries, Drama)

Hero Tales (Anime)
Hetalia: Axis Powers (Anime)
How to Marry a Millionaire (Classic, Comedy)
Howling IV: The Original Nightmare (Horror)
The Impostors (Comedy)

Initial D (Anime)
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (Anime)
The Last Temptation of Christ (Drama)
Lionheart (Action)
The Longshots (Drama)

Man on the Moon (Drama)
Over the Top (Action)
Overboard (Romantic, Comedy)
Pet Sematary (Horror)
Pet Sematary 2 (Horror)

Pi (Thriller)
Rain Man (Drama)

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (Anime)
The Rules of Attraction (Comedy)
Sekirei (Anime)

Shaft (Action, 2000 version)
Silver Bullet (Horror)
Stick (Action)
Trigun (Anime)
Woman Thou Art Loosed: On the 7th Day (Drama)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
If you like those types of films here's a few more suggestions off the top of my head that I saw on Netflix:

"Exam" -- Group of eager applicants are sat in a room together with the intention of taking a written exam in order to secure their dream job with one of the world's richest companies. However it's quickly made clear that they're all instead competing with one another in a hand crafted social and psychological experiment.

"Vile" -- Several groups of strangers wake up to find themselves trapped in a house with their only way of escape being to inflict serious pain upon one another.

Both of those flicks also have far better acting than 9 Dead.

I think there might be a "Cube" movie on Netflix as well, but don't quote me on it. Those are pretty fun watches for that sort of thing as well.

I loved EXAM however Vile was meh but the very end part was good. 9 Dead could have been done better.

Cube 2: Hypercube used to be on streaming but not anymore. I also recommend the Cube movies.

I loved EXAM however Vile was meh but the very end part was good. 9 Dead could have been done better.

Agreed. Exam was a pleasant surprise for sure. And yeah I admit Vile was like a shittier version of Saw II, but figured Id mention it anyway as my opinion isn't always right. :p

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Agreed. Exam was a pleasant surprise for sure. And yeah I admit Vile was like a shittier version of Saw II, but figured Id mention it anyway as my opinion isn't always right. :p

I guess Vile is good to sit through just for the ending of it.
Though wouldn't have been easier for everyone to have anal-sex which would produce the same chemical since it would be both pain and pleasure.

I guess Vile is good to sit through just for the ending of it.
Though wouldn't have been easier for everyone to have anal-sex which would produce the same chemical since it would be both pain and pleasure.

Haha, yes the thought crossed my mind as well. I think that's what bothered me the most -- that they weren't willing to just take the crazy idea and run all the way with it.

Kaladin

Should I give Eureka a shot? I've never really watched past the first few episodes and with the final season up, I can finally burn through the whole thing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Damn, tons of good shit added today. My queue is getting unwieldy.

Necrovex

Should I give Eureka a shot? I've never really watched past the first few episodes and with the final season up, I can finally burn through the whole thing.

I enjoyed the first season (I may have seen the second too, but I cannot recall), but I recall people talking about that show acquiring a major tonal shift, and the writing going in a drastically different direction.

Solid show. For something that is fun and light, they made bold moves with the plot, definitely some nice twists.

Watched Hunger Games, good stuff, but might be a bit difficult to follow having not read the book.

Addnan

Finished watching West Wing. Some things that annoyed me spoilers (kinda)
Hated how characters just dissapeared with no mention of what happened. Like Rob Lowe's character
Other than that I enjoyed it a lot, watched last 2 season in just over 2 days :/

Any other TV shows recommended? Watched the stuff in the OP. I just want something that is long, will watch pretty much anything.

legend166

Finished watching West Wing. Some things that annoyed me spoilers (kinda)
Hated how characters just dissapeared with no mention of what happened. Like Rob Lowe's character
Other than that I enjoyed it a lot, watched last 2 season in just over 2 days :/

Any other TV shows recommended? Watched the stuff in the OP. I just want something that is long, will watch pretty much anything.

I'm about to start watching Fringe which just got put up.

I see you didnt bold Over The Top, but really thats a awesome flick!

And when you're done with that watching Pulling John. An interesting documentary about a 20+ year arm wrestling champ (who happens to have a cameo in Over the Top). Admittedly weird topic but intriguing none the less.

Top Bottom