• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

A quick list:

The Shrine
Pet Sematary
V/H/S (Watch stories 1, 3, and 5. Skip 2, and 4)
Insidious
Quarantine 2: Terminal

Haven't seen but heard good things:

Red State
The Hole
Hell
Snowtown (really gory apparently)
Stake Land
Santa Sangre
House of the Devil
Session 9

Definitely watch 'The Shrine' if you haven't before.

Some that I liked that are on right now that hasnt been suggested yet

I spit on your grave (1978)
Rosemarys Baby
Slither
The Omen
Re-Animator
The Human Centipede
An Werewolf in London
Stigmata
Let the right one in
carrie (1976)
Thanks gents.

Some that I liked that are on right now that hasnt been suggested yet

I spit on your grave (1978)
Rosemarys Baby
Slither
The Omen
Re-Animator
The Human Centipede
An Werewolf in London
Stigmata
Let the right one in
carrie (1976)

I spit on your grave is terrible. Don't waste your time. Watch Last House on the Left instead.

Kaladin

Fringe is a lot better than I was expecting. I think I may like it even more than the X-Files.

There are things I like about Fringe better and other things I like about X-Files better. I tihnk once you get into it though, the series plot for Fringe is a lot better than X-Files.

Enco

Tried watching Fringe a long time ago but the face of the main actress pissed me off. She constantly looked like she was going to cry so I stopped.

Watched the first 2 episodes now and it's pretty awesome.

Jimothy

There are things I like about Fringe better and other things I like about X-Files better. I tihnk once you get into it though, the series plot for Fringe is a lot better than X-Files.

Yeah, the X-Files got boring for me because there didn't seem to be any over-arching purpose to the show. It just seemed like one "monster of the week" episode after another with nothing driving the plot forward.

Tried watching Fringe a long time ago but the face of the main actress pissed me off. She constantly looked like she was going to cry so I stopped.

The show really picks up with the episode "Safe".

Kaladin

Yeah, the X-Files got boring for me because there didn't seem to be any over-arching purpose to the show. It just seemed like one "monster of the week" episode after another with nothing driving the plot forward.

X-Files was weird in that way because it had plots that stretched most of the series, but you'd get episodes that dealt with those plots randomly, and rarely had a string of episodes that tied together.

LakeEarth

I finally get to watch Childrens Hospital, which is pretty awesome. One minor complaint is that when Netflix auto-starts the next episode, it skips the "previously on" segment. For most shows this would be welcomed, but on CH the "previously on" segments usually have nothing to do with the previous episode and is just used for more jokes.

Prometheus is pretty blah. I did not find it good at all.

Welcome to the rest of the world. Try to forget about the movie. You get more pissed off the more you think about it.

I fucking loved Prometheus. After hearing all the negativity about it beforehand, I was very pleasantly surprised. Lots of plot holes, but the art direction and SFX overshadowed the questionable story and hollow characters. I love that universe, I love sci-fi, I love monsters and I loved Prometheus.

edit: I didn't like I Spit on Your Grave because it was super slow and hard to watch. You can get the same thing but done better in Last House on the Left. I think the original is streaming but the remake isn't yet. I actually prefer the remake. Great casting.

jakncoke

Banned
Has anyone made a random 'what should I watch' generator ala Steamroulette?

I wish someone would make a site where it has everything on Instant Watch, then when you watch something it just disappears, so you know what you havent watched yet and dont ever have to sift through what you have seen .

Fringe is a lot better than I was expecting. I think I may like it even more than the X-Files.

The show really picks up with the episode "Safe".

"Safe" is when it all starts coming together, but the first episode that I loved was "In Which We Meet Mr. Jones."

But you all haven't seen anything yet. There are a few more gems in season 1, particularly near the end. But be patient with season 2. It starts off on the wrong foot, but by the time you get to the episode 15, "Jacksonville", the show shoots right into God Mode and stays there for the entirety of season 3.

Some random one off episodes in the series were a lot better on a recent rewatch. They seemed somewhat insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but once it is all done and you go watch them again you see them in a totally different light.

For me Fringe suffers from being a US TV show, and as such feeling the need to have 20+ episodes a season. At times those filler episodes really drag the pacing of the show down. Also it suffers from JJ Abrams being JJ Abrams.

I always want to like JJ Abrams' work, but then I watch it and just end up feeling frustrated. Especially after I stay around till the ending.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

9th Company (Drama, Foreign/Russian)
American Guns (TV, Reality)
Arena (Action, Thriller)
Cold Blood Season 5 (TV, Reality, Crime, Documentary)
Hounds (TV, Sitcom)
Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet (Documentary, Music)
The Man from Nowhere (Action, Thriller, Foreign/Korean)
Race 2 (Action, Thriller, Foreign)
Sick (Documentary)
Storage 24 (Sci-Fi, Horror)

Added today:

9th Company (Drama, Foreign/Russian)
American Guns (TV, Reality)
Arena (Action, Thriller)
Cold Blood Season 5 (TV, Reality, Crime, Documentary)
Hounds (TV, Sitcom)
Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet (Documentary, Music)
The Man from Nowhere (Action, Thriller, Foreign/Korean)
Race 2 (Action, Thriller, Foreign)
Sick (Documentary)
Storage 24 (Sci-Fi, Horror)

The Man from Nowhere is an awesome film.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Add 'The Passion of the Christ' to the US list.

Some new UK stuff:

Saving Private Ryan
Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds
Jackass 3.5: The Unrated Movie
Rambo

Resident Evil: Extinction (Canada too)
Twin Dragons
Wild Hogs
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Canada too)
Fear Dot Com

Sweden/Norway/Finland/Denmark:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Collateral

Twin Dragons
Wild Hogs
Boogeyman
Fear Dot Com

If there is enough demand, I will try to do UK/Canada newest streams on a semi-daily basis.

For me Fringe suffers from being a US TV show, and as such feeling the need to have 20+ episodes a season. At times those filler episodes really drag the pacing of the show down. Also it suffers from JJ Abrams being JJ Abrams.

I always want to like JJ Abrams' work, but then I watch it and just end up feeling frustrated. Especially after I stay around till the ending.

Having seen the whole series, I disagree entirely. Though there are many choices that are debated amongst the fans... filler is not one. The MOTW episodes are not filler. And Abrahms was not very hands on with the show... at least not going forward.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, put me in the camp that liked Prometheus. The world, and SFX were great.
Same. I think the haters are rating it on a curved scale. If you didnt have the hype and name attached to it, like if it was from some no name, it'd be a 'gem'.

Gorgeous movie. Needs to be seen on a nice display, loud speakers, and Blu Ray to truly appreciate, IMO.

Having seen the whole series, I disagree entirely. Though there are many choices that are debated amongst the fans... filler is not one. The MOTW episodes are not filler. And Abrahms was not very hands on with the show... at least not going forward.

I was a fan of the show, I'm not hating on it just to piss people off. It started slowly, built up characters, then it just goes mental and seemingly had twists and turns for the sake of twist and turns. It's a show with perhaps too many ideas for what it wants the end-game to be, and slowly builds up it up before U-Turning into something else. That put me off.

I'm watching the final season now and I'm just sitting there thinking 'How did we end up here'.

Also Netflix need to provide half-star ratings! Just saw Iron Sky (2012) I didn't like, but I didn't hate it. 2.5 would be ideal. Also... the Top 10 for... always seems to remain the same, regardless of what crap I've watched - South Park, Weeds, American Dad, King of the Hill, Futurama, etc

Yet, I've not really watched anything and liked it highly that would relate to any of that. I've watched West Wing, Enterprise, The Evil Dead, Breaking Bad, The Longest Yard, Cannibal The Musical... so I'm confused. Is this basically the Top 10 things we want you to watch because we've paid a lot of money for the license?

FYC

Banned
Decided to give a new (to me) anime a try tonight so I'm starting D. Gray-man.

I just finished the manga up to where it supposedly turns shit a few weeks ago, which coincidentally is where the anime ends. I quite enjoyed it. If you like shounen stuff I think you'll have fun.

I watched Dirty Girl last night.

MOV_6c1007a4_b.jpg

I went in expecting nothing and it's actually got a decent story behind it. The acting was good and I found myself enjoying it. It's more drama than comedy but, that fits it nicely. I would recommend it actually.

Seanspeed

Banned
Same. I think the haters are rating it on a curved scale. If you didnt have the hype and name attached to it, like if it was from some no name, it'd be a 'gem'.
Nope. Movie was just boring as crap and it wasn't even that impressive visually or anything. Just because you liked it doesn't mean there has to be some shallow explanation for why others didn't.

It was the 'dumb' moments in Prometheus that spoiled it for me.

Like the Exo-Biologist
freaking out at Holograms, then getting all sexual with the Space Snake, stupid Milburn.

Kaladin

I just finished the manga up to where it supposedly turns shit a few weeks ago, which coincidentally is where the anime ends. I quite enjoyed it. If you like shounen stuff I think you'll have fun.

I just watched the pilot....it was fairly average to me. I might give another few episodes a shot but we'll see.

Top Bottom