• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Thank you, Maklershed! For helping out while I was given a vacation.

Added today:

A Man Called God Season 1 (TV, Action, Foreign)
American Genius Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Science)
Animal Fight Night Season 1 (TV, Nature)
Big Picture with Kal Penn Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
Brain Games Season 3-4 (TV, Science)
Dope (Indie, Drama)
Highway Thru Hell Season 1-2 (TV, Reality)
Open Season (Family)
Rurouni Kenshin Part 2 (Anime)
Startalk Season 1 (TV, Science)
World's Deadliest Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Nature)
XXY (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

Billy Elliot: The Musical (Drama, Comedy)
Ellis (Indie, Drama)

UK:

Blackadder Season 3-4 (TV, Comedy)
The Big Bang Theory Season 1-8 (TV, Comedy)

Japan:

Lauda: The Untold Story (Documentary, Sports)
Margaret Thatcher: The Iron Lady (Documentary, Historical)
Rosemary's Baby Season 1 (TV, Drama)
The Man Behind the King's Speech (Documentary, Historical)

Spain:

Refugiado (Drama, Foreign)
Weeds Season 1-8 (TV, Drama)

Portugal:

An Idiot Abroad Season 1-2 (TV, Travel)

Australia:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Action)

Egypt:

Clockwork Orange (SciFi, Drama)
Goodfellas (Drama, Crime)
Gossip Girls Season 1-6 (TV, Drama)
Speed Racer (Action)

Added today:

A Man Called God Season 1 (TV, Action, Foreign)
American Genius Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Science)
Animal Fight Night Season 1 (TV, Nature)
Big Picture with Kal Penn Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
Brain Games Season 3-4 (TV, Science)
Dope (Indie, Drama)
Highway Thru Hell Season 1-2 (TV, Reality)
Open Season (Family)
Startalk Season 1 (TV, Science)
World's Deadliest Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Nature)
XXY (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

Billy Elliot: The Musical (Drama, Comedy)
Ellis (Indie, Drama)

UK:

Blackadder Season 3-4 (TV, Comedy)
The Big Bang Theory Season 1-8 (TV, Comedy)

Japan:

Lauda: The Untold Story (Documentary, Sports)
Margaret Thatcher: The Iron Lady (Documentary, Historical)
Rosemary's Baby Season 1 (TV, Drama)
The Man Behind the King's Speech (Documentary, Historical)

Spain:

Refugiado (Drama, Foreign)
Weeds Season 1-8 (TV, Drama)

Portugal:

An Idiot Abroad Season 1-2 (TV, Travel)

Australia:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Action)

Egypt:

Clockwork Orange (SciFi, Drama)
Goodfellas (Drama, Crime)
Gossip Girls Season 1-6 (TV, Drama)
Speed Racer (Action)

Welcome back, ya delinquent. Egypt got some good shit. Everyone else got hosed though.

Stackboy

Good to have you back!

I'm on Getflix at the moment and most regions are blocked except for the US, Canada, Ireland, Mexico and Australia. Hopefully the rest get unblocked soon, really want to watch the second season of Fargo, once I finish Twin Peaks.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Thanks for the love. <3

Welcome back! I was wondering, could you add Belgium to the list of update countries? If at all possible? That'd be awesome

I will update Belgium from now on. They have in the past gotten the same stuff (more or less) that Sweden has gotten, but it looks like they getting different stuff now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Africa's Deadliest Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Nature)
Asthma (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Atonement (Drama, Romantic)
Brothers in War (Documentary, Historical)
Diggers Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Monster Fish Season 4-5 (TV, Reality)
Remote Survival Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Sister Code (Romantic, Comedy)
Street Genius Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Science)
The Straits Season 1 (TV, Drama, Crime)

France:

Dr. Strangelove (Comedy)

Germany:

Hellboy (Action, Fantasy)

Australia:

Cast Party (TV, Comedy)

Belgium:

As Good as It Gets (Romantic, Comedy)
Big (Romantic, Comedy)
Gimme Shelter (Indie, Drama)
Hostage (Action, Thriller)
Ramses Season 1 (TV, Drama)
The Covenant (Action, Fantasy)
The Edge (Action, Thriller)
The Punisher ('04, Action)
The Runaways (Indie, Drama)
Waking Sleeping Beauty (Documentary, Family)

Honk Kong:

That '70s Show Season 2 (TV, Comedy)

Kaladin

If I wanna check out Star Trek where do I even start? Is their a story order

Start with The Original Series, then TOS cast movies. Then move on to Next Generation and then Deep Space Nine and Voyager run somewhat at the same time period. Finally, Enterprise is the last thing in the series. It is a prequel to the original series, but recommended for viewing after everything else.

The new J.J.-verse is a separate entity (but not) so you can watch that on your own.

tmdorsey

Damnit Netflix how you not gonna have the 4k version of Dope??? I know there's a 4k version of the movie too because Directv has it.

I am disapppoint.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Really enjoyed dope. . The rapper cameos weren't terrible either. Vince Staples was funny.

I loved the movie. The characters were great and likable. The music was top notch. The plot towards the end got a little bit too crazy, I think, but overall, it lived up to the praise for me.

Anyone what "the retuned"? the French version, not the American adaptation

Season 2 shoild be up today.

Sweet. I liked the first season.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If I wanna check out Star Trek where do I even start? Is their a story order

The Next Generation is generally regarded as the good starting point. It's not going to look as dated as The Original Series. If you don't mind the dated look, there is no problem with starting with TOS, I just find a lot of people find TNG easier.

Far as viewing order, there is some story overlap in the last few seasons of TNG and Deep Space Nine, but not much. It's really just some things from TNG that set up DS9. Also worth noting that DS9 is unique in that it has a long reaching story arc across all seasons, where the other shows usually have more minor connections between episodes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Cast Party (TV, Comedy)
Ellis (Indie, Drama)
Suburra (Drama)
Syndrome Season 1 (TV, Drama)
The Returned Season 2 (TV, Drama, Foreign)

UK:

Better Call Saul Season 2 (TV, Drama, Updated Weekly)
Django Unchained (Action)
Dr. Strangelove (Comedy)
War (Action, Thriller)

Belgium:

Punch-Drunk Love (Indie, Drama)
Seven Pounds (Drama)

Sweden:

Labyrinth (Family)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Reviews for Netflix's Love series hitting Friday (Apatow, Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust).

• Hollywood Reporter:

Love is You're the Worst in the style of Togetherness with an Apotovian tendency toward excess abetted by Netflix's tendency toward letting creatives do whatever they want without limitations. It's a variation on a common theme, but it's also squirmingly effective, fitfully funny and carried by a great, uncompromising performance from Gillian Jacobs.

My notes across the 10-episode first season run are frequently punctuated with "Oy" and "Oh no" and "This is going to be awful" in response to the torrent of cringe-inducing moments, rather than quality, which will either be a sensation you enjoy or not. Sometimes the vein of humor running through the discomfort is all that prevents it from being unbearable, as with the date between Gus and Mickey's Australian roommate (the marvelous Claudia O'Doherty), which achieves peak nightmarishness along with hilarity. Sometimes it just hurts and you'll only continue if you're there for the main characters.
  • Time:

We can see that they’re both nightmares. And yet they’re both lovable–to each other, of course, but also to us. With sharp, observational wit, the show takes us through the familiar process of getting to know someone. After the glow of the initial meeting, you’re stuck with a person who says the wrong thing at a party, has habits you don’t like or is simply too human in any of 100 ways.

These aren’t just contrived sitcom obstacles. They’re the things of life, and of a romantic comedy that earns both words in the genre’s name.
  • Vanity Fair:

But as Love gradually chips away at that familiar paint, it uncovers some of the anguish and darkness conjured up, in darts and flashes, by that big, insisting title. Where Aziz Ansari, in Master of None, tends toward social satire and inquest, Arfin, Rust, and Apatow bore deeper into the psyche. Oddly but engagingly paced, Love, over the course of its 10-episode first season (which Netflix graciously made available in full for critics), becomes something surprising, a bleary and affecting study of a woman trying to come to terms with addiction, all the everyday pain and itch and restless jumble of it. By the end of the first season, Love has begun to reveal the series it maybe always should have been: hurting and truthful, about something far more complex and granular than simply “will they/won’t they.”
  • Verge:

Love's central problem is the same one that plagues so many Apatow movies, and so many rom-coms in general: these are not appealing people, and their relationship appears to do more damage than good to both of them. It's hard for viewers to take a rooting interest in such a terribly unsuited couple, especially when their relationship seems to exacerbate their problems rather than soothe them. In some romantic comedies, the leads' sheer unpleasantness is part of the humor. But here, the leads' problems are subtler and more persistent.

This isn't a joke-heavy series. It's dry humor at best, discomfort humor at worst. The way Gus and Mickey alternately badger each other for attention, then neglect each other in favor of more convenient and familiar comforts, rings true for the early stages of any relationship. And the series also captures the power of infatuation, the feeling of limitless potential, the risky thrill of the first shared sexual experiences. But it still hurts each time one of them lets the other down. And the way they offend each other by openly dismissing or attacking each other's little pleasures provokes plenty of squirming, but relatively few laughs.
  • Hitflix:

Which brings us to Netflix's Love, a romantic comedy series created by Judd Apatow, Lesley Arfin, and Paul Rust, starring Rust and Gillian Jacobs as a pair of Angelenos who meet awkward, date even more awkwardly, and seem determined to make a go of things despite ample evidence warning them not to. (Its 10-episode first season debuts Friday; I've watched the whole thing.) Love is messy. It's shaggy. It takes weird detours that only sometimes work, and on occasion it seems to be daring its audience to not only root against the central couple, but to question how many more episodes they might want to watch.

I can see all those issues, and more. I just don't care. When you feel it — as I very quickly did with Love — nothing else matters.
  • Denofgeek:

Coming from someone who was dearly in love with Aziz Ansari’s Master of None, as far as I’m concerned, Love completely knocks it out of the water. It comfortably finds a tone somewhere between Ansari’s series and Netflix’s BoJack Horseman. As a fan of the network’s darker programming, this is a very good thing, and it’s Love’s brutally honest, unflinching point of view that is the series’ strongest asset.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Knocks Master of None out of the water? Those are strong words, really loved that show. I have high hopes for Love, not that I wasn't already looking forward to it.

Vuze

I just finished watching Dexter and (complete series spoilers obv)
that was one shitty final season, especially finale, if I've ever seen one.
Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth after I totally loved the series as a whole. Also the shitty blood/weather effects in this season, wtf? I always thought all the crime scenes and murders looked believable, but here we have Harrisons accident and Saxons kill scene plus the aforementioned weather effects in the final episode. It feels so tacked on, but no surprise there considering the network seems to have "persuaded" the writers to end the series with season 8 instead of 7 if I'm reading this right.
Don't get me wrong, the acting of the cast was phenomenal in my books until the very end but I can't imagine how die-hard fans of the series who have been following it for 8(?) years felt about the final episode. Debra suddenly dead, Dexter pretending to commit suicide (how the hell did he get away from the storm anyway) and leaving Hannah & Harrison behind after the whole season was basically about their getaway.
The final scene where he stares at the camera is just so silly and cliché, I wish they'd just let him die in the storm. I kinda understand why he can't have a happy end, being a killer and all, but man... this was just dissatisfactoring :/

E: I just realized. Why the fuck did they even introduce Masuka's daughter? She didn't have any impact on the series at all, did she? lol

It appears they are thinking of a reboot or something along the lines, so I'm looking forward to this, should it ever happen.

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to talk about it but I figured since the series was concluded years ago, this would be the best place to stop by for sharing some thoughts.

E: Damn, I feel better now. Thanks reddit person http://imgur.com/a/uF1Mz

Start with The Original Series, then TOS cast movies. Then move on to Next Generation and then Deep Space Nine and Voyager run somewhat at the same time period. Finally, Enterprise is the last thing in the series. It is a prequel to the original series, but recommended for viewing after everything else.

The new J.J.-verse is a separate entity (but not) so you can watch that on your own.

The Next Generation is generally regarded as the good starting point. It's not going to look as dated as The Original Series. If you don't mind the dated look, there is no problem with starting with TOS, I just find a lot of people find TNG easier.

Far as viewing order, there is some story overlap in the last few seasons of TNG and Deep Space Nine, but not much. It's really just some things from TNG that set up DS9. Also worth noting that DS9 is unique in that it has a long reaching story arc across all seasons, where the other shows usually have more minor connections between episodes.
Thanks, I started with the original series. Watched about 9 episodes I'm enjoying it so far.

The captain in the first pilot that wasn't Kirk was kinda a dick haha

I just finished watching Dexter...

I wish I had stopped watching after the excellent fourth season.
And yeah, that final season, ouch.

Just finished Watching Inside Out and really, really liked it.
Looking at a list of Pixar movies, how are Brave and Monsters University? seen pretty much all the others.

Top Bottom