• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Laekon

Just stated watching Person of Interest and it's not bad but not great. I'm only on episode 17 right now. Do they bigger stories ever really go anywhere or does it stay a procedural show?

jinutsu

Neo Member
Just stated watching Person of Interest and it's not bad but not great. I'm only on episode 17 right now. Do they bigger stories ever really go anywhere or does it stay a procedural show?

Hang in there. The bigger stories become 90% of an entire season.

tomtom94

Netflix UK just added Last Vegas (Comedy, Old Actors Getting Paycheck) and Lone Survivor (Drama, War is Hell) and Democrats (Documentary, Zimbabwe)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've started Jessica Jones, around 3 eps in, and I'm surprised by how disappointed I am with this. Ritter feels like a severe miscast to me, only her chemistry with Luke Cage is somewhat convincing. I want to at least make it through the season, but these first episodes have been rough for me.

tomtom94

I've started Jessica Jones, around 3 eps in, and I'm surprised by how disappointed I am with this. Ritter feels like a severe miscast to me, only her chemistry with Luke Cage is somewhat convincing. I want to at least make it through the season, but these first episodes have been rough for me.

I personally felt similar, by the end I was loving it, but then I kind of went into it wanting to love it. If you aren't really feeling it in a couple of episodes time it might not be for you.

tomtom94

Good news everyone, the movie you've all been waiting for has finally arrived on UK Netflix:

Spice_world.jpg

(if you want something a bit more highbrow, there is also the 1973 Clint Eastwood film High Plains Drifter)

Vuze

Man, it's pretty frustrating to know that there is apparently no way to watch Netflix in 1080p on Windows 7 :(
I started using the service recently and have been wondering all the time why the content looks so much better on my tablet and TV than it does on my monitor. Turns out that you can only stream in 1080p in Edge on Windows computers and you're limited to 720p@3mbps otherwise.

Sort of a deal breaker for me, no interest in upgrading to Win10 until I build a completly new PC.

I guess there's no way around this, is there? Didn't find anything helpful on google.

Susurrus

Man, it's pretty frustrating to know that there is apparently no way to watch Netflix in 1080p on Windows 7 :(
I started using the service recently and have been wondering all the time why the content looks so much better on my tablet and TV than it does on my monitor. Turns out that you can only stream in 1080p in Edge on Windows computers and you're limited to 720p@3mbps otherwise.

Sort of a deal breaker for me, no interest in upgrading to Win10 until I build a completly new PC.

I guess there's no way around this, is there? Didn't find anything helpful on google.

If you're not opposed to having Windows 10 (since you're going to w/ your new PC) why don't you just take the free Win 10 update?

I'm watching Daredevil again and the first time, it was so entertaining that I never thought about it, but what exactly was Kingpin aiming to do? He claims it's too save the city, but I can't see the villain's perspective like I usually do. All I see him doing is killing folk and what is his hustle exactly. Slinging rocks?

Kaladin

I'm watching Daredevil again and the first time, it was so entertaining that I never thought about it, but what exactly was Kingpin aiming to do? He claims it's too save the city, but I can't see the villain's perspective like I usually do. All I see him doing is killing folk and what is his hustle exactly. Slinging rocks?

I think Kingpin's goal was to bring together all the rival factions operating in Hell's Kitchen. I think before him all the separate gangs you have would have been on their own and as you can imagine with a lot of violence.

At least, that is what I gather.

I've watched two episodes of Mad Men 8th season, and I have two questions:

Am I supposed to know who this waitress is that Don has taken up with? At first it seemed like he only vaguely recognized her from somewhere, but soon it was like they had some sort of shared history. Is it revealed later in the season?

I can't remember, how did Ken with the eyepatch lose his eye?

Am I supposed to know who this waitress is that Don has taken up with? At first it seemed like he only vaguely recognized her from somewhere, but soon it was like they had some sort of shared history. Is it revealed later in the season?

No, you're not supposed to know who this is.

Accident while hunting with his client.

I think Kingpin's goal was to bring together all the rival factions operating in Hell's Kitchen. I think before him all the separate gangs you have would have been on their own and as you can imagine with a lot of violence.

At least, that is what I gather.

How could that be interpreted as saving the city?

Kaladin

How could that be interpreted as saving the city?

If I'm reading things right, he wants to bring all the criminal elements under control under his reign. Saving the city is his twisted way of looking at it, or justifying it, but in reality he's trying to create a large criminal organization with himself as the kingpin and he's doing it with too many already combustible elements.

no you're not suppose to know who she is. From my perspective I believe she reminded him of Rachel from earlier seasons

No, you're not supposed to know who this is.

Accident while hunting with his client.

no you're not suppose to know who she is. From my perspective I believe she reminded him of Rachel from earlier seasons

Thanks! As much as I enjoy TV dramas, a lot of them assume you remember everything that happened in the last season when it may have been up to a year since you've seen them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I personally felt similar, by the end I was loving it, but then I kind of went into it wanting to love it. If you aren't really feeling it in a couple of episodes time it might not be for you.

Jessica Jones picks up when Killgrave becomes more involved.

Yeah I'm at ep 6 or so and he's getting more screentime which is good, he's by far the best character in the show. Still though I'm surprised by how amateurish this show feels overall, I cringe every time there's a scene with her weird brother/sister neighbors. Don't know what they were going for there, but it's definitely not working. Nothing except Kilgrave is, tbh.

kuppy

Just curious, a bit off topic, so please excuse that. But why are those DNS region selectors not able to apply to YouTube. Or are it just the ones I tested, am I doing something wrong?

tchocky

Just curious, a bit off topic, so please excuse that. But why are those DNS region selectors not able to apply to YouTube. Or are it just the ones I tested, am I doing something wrong?

I can't speak for the others but with unblock us for every other service but netflix they default to each srevices home region (usually USA) which they can't do with youtube because they said they don't want to lock people into US youtube. They said on twitter that they are working on a solution but it will take time.

tomtom94

Master of None is coming back for season two in 2017.

Yeah I'm at ep 6 or so and he's getting more screentime which is good, he's by far the best character in the show. Still though I'm surprised by how amateurish this show feels overall, I cringe every time there's a scene with her weird brother/sister neighbors. Don't know what they were going for there, but it's definitely not working. Nothing except Kilgrave is, tbh.

Without wishing to spoil anything, you haven't reached the end of that subplot yet.

kinn

I recently came back to it. I'm on season 3. It's a really great show but there's so many episodes that it's really intimidating for me.

First season was like only 6 episodes I think. And the 2nd is like about 10. Do the seasons get longer? It's on its 11th season as well right?

That episode where they start talking crack just to go on benefits... Lol.

T-Rex.

Banned
I watched I Saw The Devil (fantastic film) and A Man From Nowhere recently, is there anything else on Netflix/Hulu similar to them? I've already seen Oldboy.

Moozo

So Love looks pretty good, but why would Netflix not release it until the 19th? It looks like perfect lonely person Valentine's day watching

We need GK back, I'm horrible at updating.

2/8
Black Souls

2/9
A Ballerina's Tale
Brotherly Love
Durarara!! - Season 1
Durarara!!X2 - Season Shou
Durarara!!X2 - Season Ten
Mudbloods

2/10
Dope <-- nice

2/11
Birdie Buddy - Season 1
Cain and Abel - Season 1
The Girl in the Book
A Man Called God - Season 1
The Railway Man
Tamra, The Island - Season 1

2/12
Sarah and Duck - Season 1
Saran and Duck - Season 2

2/13
The Face of Love

kuppy

I already forgot how it ended.
Lol.

Brings up an interesting point, that I haven't settled myself though. Do you all prefer finished TV series or ongoing ones?

Sure it's nice to see what's hot right now, be part of the conversation and what not. But for me it's always quite tough to get back into it the following season. Normally I try to read a recap, but they aren't always all that great and surely won't tackle everything.

A finished series is so easy to consume instead. Chances are I'll instantly get all the references to earlier episodes and never feel out of the loop.

So here I am thinking I should only watch completed series, as there are enough of them that are highly regarded and still new to me. But yeah, seeing new general directions being taken right now is valuable too. Also waiting for the next season is kind of what TV series are about, or at least it's something that is attached to it, so maybe I shouldn't completely avoid handling it. Eh, like I said, haven't decided how to lean on it.

Does anyone else find that the WiiU Netflix application freezes a hell of a lot since the update? Every time I watch a series, when I get to the end of an episode and it's on the final screen there where it shows the next episode and recommends some other show, it's like a 50/50 on whether I'm going to have to hard reset the console via the power button.

tomtom94

Added today:

UK
Sharknado 3
Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-8
Blackadder Seasons 3-4

Aus/NZ
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

There's also a few things up in both regions, such as 'Snervous' (a behind-the-scenes with Tyler Oakley, a Youtuber) and 'Ellis', a short film with Robert de Niro.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I watched the pilot of Hannibal and have a question, maybe someone who's watched the series can answer:

There's the series of murders Hannibal did, then the 'copycat' who was shot in the pilot (the balding guy with a family). Did he just commit the last murder shown in that ep (girl impaled on antlers in an open field), or did he commit more, or did they work together? Could be I'm not supposed to know this yet.

I normally don't turn on subtitles, but I had to for Mikkelsen because I had no idea what he was saying half of the time.

Slacker

We don't have an Amazon Prime streaming thread do we? Either way for those interested season 3 of The Americans is up on Amazon now.

tomtom94

Just checked the USA New on Netflix, a tonne of National Geographic stuff just went up if that's your bag. Also Open Season and The Koala Brothers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I watched the pilot of Hannibal and have a question, maybe someone who's watched the series can answer:

There's the series of murders Hannibal did, then the 'copycat' who was shot in the pilot (the balding guy with a family). Did he just commit the last murder shown in that ep (girl impaled on antlers in an open field), or did he commit more, or did they work together? Could be I'm not supposed to know this yet.

I normally don't turn on subtitles, but I had to for Mikkelsen because I had no idea what he was saying half of the time.

I think you'll find out if you keep watching!

Not supposed to know that.

Top Bottom