• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

RedAssedApe

Banned
lol yeah the reviews for fuller house are pretty bad. i'll at least watch the pilot. they should have tried to get elizabeth olsen to play michelle ;)

Kaladin

I kind of expected Fuller House to be embarrassingly bad from the full trailer. It looks like they went all in on the cheese factor.

Wag

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/netflix-beating-cable-punch-4k-and-hdr/2016-02-26

Netflix is putting up Daredevil S2 and Marco Polo in 4k HDR. I assume Daredevil S2 will be in HDR when it's released.

They'll need to update the app in my Samsung 4k TV to support it. I have a standard 2015 4k non-SUHD model, but supposedly it supports HDR (after a previous firmware update) from streaming content. I tried some HDR demos from a flashdrive and they looked amazing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some early reviews for HoC S4:

The Telegraph:

But now that departing showrunner Beau Willimon has found a way of putting Underwood on the back foot again, House of Cards has regained its mojo. Spacey twinkles with vehemence as he ratchets up his portrayal of Frank as villainous force of nature; Wright has never been better as burningly ambitious ice queen Claire, who has unearthed a useful foil in ruthless strategist Leann Harvey (played by the star of the 1996 horror classic Scream, Neve Campbell).

To that can be added a live-wire plot, with several genuine upsets and some mind-bending cameos. There is also the ongoing pleasure of House of Cards's depiction of Washington DC as Purgatory-on-the-Potomac, a transient zone of faceless glass facades and people carriers with blacked-out windows. In contrast to the real life presidential race, there is, of course, the additional comfort of knowing that, no matter how deranged the storyline, it's all just make-believe.

House of Cards was the original of the binge-watch species and fans are sure to enjoy every deliciously dark moment of what rates as a triumphant return.

Joblo:

House of Cards has begun a shift from being a show that was very different from anything else on television (DEADPOOL with politicians) to becoming an R-rated version of The West Wing. Make no mistake, the drama here is still of a high level and it is a lot of fun seeing Kevin Spacey inhabit the role of Frank Underwood so fully, but the series now seems to be cruising along rather than throwing us the curveballs that made the first two years must see television. It could be the fact that this season picks up with no time jump and gives it the feeling of being the second half of season three and therefore comes across as being less of it's own story arc. But, when you compare the political machinations on this series compared to anything on network or cable television, it still holds it's own.

What keeps House of Cards from feeling vital and immediate is the parallel of the fictional election cycle during our real life election year. With the drama surrounding Hillary Clinton versus Bernie Sanders and then everything that is Donald Trump, it may not seem quite as surreal having a candidate who schemes, murders, and back-traffics his way to the highest office in America but it still gives us a look into the skewed system that is the United States. The addition of Kinnaman to the cast gives this show an injection of younger talent while Neve Campbell is the best she has been in years. This takes some of the weight off of the other actors like the great Michael Kelly, Mahershala Ali, Elizabeth Marvel, and Molly Parker, but they all still shine.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bare (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny (Action, Martial Arts, Netflix Original)
Fuller House Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Netflix Original)
The Look of Silence (Documentary, Foreign)
Theo Von: No Offense (Standup, Netflix Original)

UK:

The Aristocats (Family)
Heartless City Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)

Japan:

Full House Season 1-8 (TV, Comedy)

Toothless

Why did they remove the first Crouching Tiger if they have the sequel rights? I was gonna use the sequel's release as an excuse to finally check out the original.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Netflix stopped working for me in Firefox (on Mac). I've run it in safe mode and reinstalled silverlight, which is basically the extent of the official solutions. Does anyone have any ideas?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Still on the first season of Hannibal, and even though some episodes are on the slower side, I'm really enjoying it. Just watched ep8, which was the best one yet:
Hannibal fights to the death with the cello string killer. It was weird seeing an over the top fight scene in the show suddenly, but it worked.

berzeli

Banned
do they mean gomorrah? Suburra movie was made by the same guys who do gomorrah
Netflix Orders ‘Suburra’; First Italian Original Hails From ‘Gomorrah’ Creators – Mipcom
Suburra is planned as a 10-episode drama made in partnership with Italy’s RAI. While Netflix has embarked on originals in France (Marseille), and elsewhere, this is the first time it’s moving into the space in Italy. A worldwide debut is set for 2017.

Described as a dark and gripping organized crime series set on the Roman coast, Suburra will be produced by Cattleya, the indie film and television company behind such series as Gomorrah and Romanzo Criminale.

The saga that involves politics, the Vatican, the mafia, corruption, money laundering, drugs and prostitution, will begin with a feature film directed by Stefano Sollima (A.C.A.B., Gomorrah) that’s slated for theatrical release in Italy on October 14. Netflix will then debut the film the same day in the Americas with Italy following in May 2016. The series will come the following year.

tomtom94

Is it fair to call Fuller House Netflix's first proper bomb? There have been shows which have been divisive (I'm thinking of Sense8 and Jessica Jones here) and some of the ones they only show in certain countries like Returned got poor reviews, but this is the first time one of their proper originals has gotten such a negative reception, I'm pretty sure.

Is it fair to call Fuller House Netflix's first proper bomb? There have been shows which have been divisive (I'm thinking of Sense8 and Jessica Jones here) and some of the ones they only show in certain countries like Returned got poor reviews, but this is the first time one of their proper originals has gotten such a negative reception, I'm pretty sure.

Hemlock Grove.

Also the Adam Sandler movie if that counts.

Vuze

I wonder why Netflix offers German text and subtitles for movies which aren't available here or in any other German-speaking country.

Watched Mall Cop yesterday (it was pretty meh as a whole but atleast I got a few laughs out of it) and Smartflix showed me the German title and even subtitles. Just strikes me weird when no native speaker is supposed to watch it.

On another note, smartflix is just awesome. I hope it will work for the foreseeable future, will certainly sub to them once they are out of beta.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

The pilot was horrible, but after reading the OT I kept going, and the third episode is so crazy it's incredible. I'll definitely keep going and watch the entire season now.

Also finished Hannibal s1... aand I'm going straight into s2.
Will's descent into madness and being Lecter's plaything
was some great setup. Incredible show all around so far.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Not really. Seems like people are watching it and enjoying it regardless of what the critics think. Doubt they care what people are writing if they get high engagement numbers. Assuming this show doesn't cost as much as some of the others as well.

Xater

Jessica Jones was never divisive. Also there are more than one show Netflix bought that are trash. Here in Germany we got The Returned and Shadowhunters.

As for the negative reception I think for Netflix it's all about how many people watch all of it. If not many people make it past the pilot then I would say it's definitely a flop. Critically it of course already is. I think the show is horrendous. Couldn't even finish the pilot.

I don't know. Almost every female I'm Facebook friends with (so women, 30-40 mostly) is going nuts over it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Man.......Crouching tiger 2 was so predictable. That ending was so......obviously coming. Movie felt rushed, characters felt rushed. Sone ok fight scenes and good looking scenery. But you could just see all the CGI....like it's cringe CGI. You can easily tell when they use it for backdrops even.

Sucks considering the first one is one of my favorite epics of all time.

El Topo

Between. Horrendous garbage.

As for the negative reception I think for Netflix it's all about how many people watch all of it.

In a way. I assume they are interested in whether or not it is sufficient incentive to subscribe/keep subscribing, viewers are certainly one way. Critical reception though means jack shit.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Shocking revelation, the public at large has horrible taste.

That's the downside of having a concept such at "elitist taste", there has to be a majority of non-elite. ;)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ashes and Embers (Drama)
Finding Vivian Maier (Documentary, Biographical)
Let the Church Say Amen (Drama)
Pretend We're Kissing (Romantic, Comedy)
Zoobabu Season 1 (TV, Kids)

UK:

Comedy Bang Bang Season 1-3 (TV, Comedy)
Garfunkel and Oates Season 1 (TV, Comedy)
Noah (Drama)
Ride Along (Action, Comedy)

Japan:

Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland (Comedy)
Cain and Abel Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Darker than Black Season 1 (Anime)
Fullmetal Alchemist Season 1 (Anime)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Star of Milos (Anime)
Sons of Anarchy Season 7 (TV, Drama, Crime)
The Code Season 1 (TV, Drama)

France:

Bakugan: Battle Brawlers Season 2 (Anime)
Californication Season 7 (TV, Drama, Comedy)
Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 (Anime)

Germany:

Casa de mi Padre (Comedy)

Australia:

Act of Valor (Action, Thriller)
Deadly Women Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
Dead Rising: Watchtower (Horror)
Good Night Good Morning (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
It's Now or Never (Romantic, Comedy)
Once (Indie, Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Queen of Carthage (Thriller)
Secondhand Lions (Drama)
The Bright Day (Indie, Drama)

New Zealand:

Falling Skies Season 5 (TV, SciFi)
Son of the Mask (Comedy)

Cade

A lot of Studio Ghibli movies are now on Portugal's Netflix, but only with Japanese audio and Portuguese subtitles. Spy and Ant-Man are up in Netflix Canada. Definitely watching Spy soon, and Ant-Man is pretty good.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Adult Beginners (Comedy)
Aldnoah.Zero Season 2 (Anime)
American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile, Beta House (Comedy)
Becoming Jane (Drama)
Before We Go (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Better Man Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Blade Runner: Theatrical Cut (SciFi)
Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland (Comedy)
Breaking Through (Drama)
Cats & Dogs (Family)
Contact (Drama, SciFi)
Corpse Bride (Family)
Don Verdean (Comedy)
Eraser (Action, Thriller)
Exam (Thriller)
Flight of the Intruder (Action, Thriller)
Forever (Indie, Drama)
Fresh Meat Season 2 (TV, Comedy)
Frog Kingdom (Family)
Good Burger (family)
Good Night Good Morning (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Gored (Documentary, Biographical)
Groundhog Day (Drama)
Housos Season 1-2 (TV, Comedy)
It's Now or Never (Romantic, Comedy)
Jafar Panahi's Taxi (Drama, Foreign)
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (Action, Animated)
Justice League: War (Action, Animated)
Love Actually (Romantic, Comedy)
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (Action)
Murder Maps Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
Must Love Dogs (Romantic, Comedy)
Narcopolis (Thriller, SciFi)
Re-Kill (Horror, Zombie)
Retribution (Thriller, Foreign)
Road Trip: Beer Pong (Comedy)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Action)
Roseanne Collection 2 (TV, Comedy)
Running Scared (Thriller)
Saturday Night Fever (Drama)
Scarface (Drama, Cockroaches)
Son of Batman (Action, Animated)
Sphere (Thriller, SciFi)
Spy Game (Action, Thriller)
Star Trek: 1-3 (SciFi)
The Barkley Marathons (Documentary)
The Batman Season 1-5 (TV, Kids)
The Bright Day (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
The Exorcist (Horror, Supernatural)
The Man Whose Mind Exploded (Documentary, Biographical)
The Moving Creatures (Drama, Foreign)
The Panic in Needle Park (Drama)
The Real Miyagi (Documentary, Biographical)
The Seven Year Itch (Drama)
Underworld: 1, Evolution (Action, Fantasy)
Unforgiven (Action, Western)

Canada:

Airheads (Comedy)
Ant-Man (Action)
Bean: The Movie (Comedy)
Bombay Velvet (Drama, Crime, Foreign)
Conan the Barbarian (Action)
Dark Places (Drama, Crime)
Family Party (Romantic, Comedy)
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (Drama, Comedy)
Poltergeist ('15, Horror)
Prime (Romantic, Comedy)
Re-Kill (Horror, Zombie)
The Book of Eli (Thriller, SciFi)
The Code Season 1 (TV, Drama, Crime)
The Voices (Comedy)
Transcendence (Thriller, SciFi)

UK:

A Dog's Breakfast (Indie, Comedy)
De-Lovely (Drama)
Diary of a Mad Black Woman (Romantic, Comedy)
Gor (Action, Fantasy)
Gored (Documentary, Biographical)
Ninja Vengeance (Action, Thriller)
Pope Joan (Drama, Foreign)
The Girl is in Trouble (Drama, Film Noir)
The Lives of Others (Thriller, Foreign)

Portugal:

18-Year-Old Virgin (Indie, Comedy)
American Muscle (Indie, Action)
August Rush (Romantic, Drama)
Backcountry (Horror, Thriller)
Because I Said So (Romantic, Comedy)
Be Kind Rewind (Indie, Comedy)
Belle (Drama)
Beneath the Dark (Thriller, Supernatural)
Dead Man (Indie, Drama)
Deliver Us from Evil (Documentary, Social)
Foolproof (Action, Thriller)
Ida (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Kill the Irishman (Drama)
Locked Down (Action, Thriller)
Lore (Drama, Foreign)
Max Payne (Action, Thriller)
Mongol (Drama, Foreign)
My Neighbor Totoro (Family)
Night Will Fall (Documentary, Historical)
Princess Mononoke (Action, SciFi)
Selma (Drama)
The Baytown Outlaws (Action, Comedy)
The Man from Earth (Drama, SciFi)
The Secret World of Arrietty (Family)
The Transporter 1-2 (Action)

France:

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (Family)
Day of the Crows (Family)
Midnight Cowboy (Drama)

Australia:

Focus (Drama, Crime)
The Firm (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Belgium:

30 Degrees in February Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Coeur Ocean Season 1-5 (TV, Drama)
Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (Comedy)
Flex is Kings (Documentary, Social)
Stargate (Action, SciFi)
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Family)
The Scapegoat (Thriller)
V/H/S (Horror)
Young Black Stallion (Family)

Mexico:

Cosmopolis (Drama, Foreign)
For the Love of Money (Drama)
Imagining Argentina (Indie, Thriller, Foreign)
Rabbit Hole (Drama)
Small Soldiers (Family)
Speed (Action, Thriller, The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down)
The Deep Blue Sea (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
The First Grader (Indie, Drama)
The Ghost Writer (Drama, Thriller)
The Sentinel (Thriller)
The Water Diviner (Drama)

Sweden:

Drug Lord: The Legend of Shorty (Documentary)
For Those in Peril (Indie, Drama)

FloatOn

I just binged Love, Master of None and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt back to back to back.

I need more sitcoms with cute girls

help

tomtom94

The Batman! I used to love that show as a kid.

Might have to do some VPNing once I'm home for the holidays... Canada is looking tempting again.

Davey Cakes

I just binged Love, Master of None and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt back to back to back.

I need more sitcoms with cute girls

help
I had a good time with Kimmy Schmidt and Master of None. More so the former.

How does Love compare, and where would your rank it amongst the others? I'm wary of dating comedies, even though I like both Gillian Jacobs and Paul Rust.

Top Bottom