• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

tomtom94

There's a very simple reason why Netflix's catalogue tends to be smaller and worse outside the US... subscriber numbers, and local competition.

Aiii

So not worth it
Don't blame Netflix for the fact that they can't just throw money at everyone and get all the content.

Go complain to Sony, or Warner Brothers, or Universal, or whoever's content you wish to have available in your region.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They can't just throw money and expect one movie to show up everywhere. There are licensing issues that often pop up.

El Topo

They can't just throw money and expect one movie to show up everywhere. There are licensing issues that often pop up.

That is a non-answer, at best tangentially related to what I wrote earlier, namely that absolving Netflix of responsibility for their own service (regarding price/quantity/quality) is not reasonable.

I fully understand that Netflix is likely taking a very slow approach (regarding licensing), in no small part due to the financial risk and the unproven feasibility of their business model (for many regions). Nonetheless, it is asinine to just brush away complaints or argue that they should be directed at anyone but Netflix. That may be reasonable in a specific case, e.g. "Why is movie xyz not available in region abc?", but is otherwise a cop out.

That is a non-answer, at best tangentially related to what I wrote earlier, namely that absolving Netflix of responsibility for their own service (regarding price/quantity/quality) is not reasonable.

I fully understand that Netflix is likely taking a very slow approach (regarding licensing), in no small part due to the financial risk and the unproven feasibility of their business model (for many regions). Nonetheless, it is asinine to just brush away complaints or argue that they should be directed at anyone but Netflix. That may be reasonable in a specific case, e.g. "Why is movie xyz not available in region abc?", but is otherwise a cop out.

"Blame Netflix" is an unreasonable response to the complex and financially dangerous suggestion that Netflix should just liscense more movies in every country it operates in (which is most of the world now).

If you feel the selection is poor for your region, don't subscribe. To demand the business throw all caution and concern to the wind because you want more of what you like (which doesn't necessarily align with what others in your region may or may not like) for your ~12 bucks a month is silly.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You can place some blame on them all you want. At the end of the day, it isn't like they are sitting around and thinking, 'yeah, region X has enough movies for now.' They are actively trying to get content for their service. To the point where they spend $100 million on movies/shows.

You are also comparing other catalogues to the US. A region that has been around for a long time. So of course the catalogue will be bigger.

As of now, the service in other regions will be what has always been the case in the US region: you subscribe for the shows and hope movies you like come to the service.

"Blame Netflix" is an unreasonable response to the complex and financially dangerous suggestion that Netflix should just liscense more movies in every country it operates in (which is most of the world now).

If you feel the selection is poor for your region, don't subscribe. To demand the business throw all caution and concern to the wind because you want more of what you like (which doesn't necessarily align with what others in your region may or may not like) for your ~12 bucks a month is silly.

You can place some blame on them all you want. At the end of the day, it isn't like they are sitting around and thinking, 'yeah, region X has enough movies for now.' They are actively trying to get content for their service. To the point where they spend $100 million on movies/shows.

You are also comparing other catalogues to the US. A region that has been around for a long time. So of course the catalogue will be bigger.

As of now, the service in other regions will be what has always been the case in the US region: you subscribe for the shows and hope movies you like come to the service.

I wish they had more of a tiered model. Basic / Premium kind of setup, with more recent movies/TV shows in the Premium lineup. Charge the $12 for Basic and $19.99 for Premium. I'm in US and I have resisted signing up for a service like Unblock, but I have to admit that many other regions have better movie choices than we do in the US.

Rather than cough up $x for an Unblock-like service, I'd rather give it to Netflix under a higher monthly rate to access "premium" content.

Or at least I'd consider it.

My .02.

kiguel182

Wanted to see Man Of Steel today (I was hoping it would be better on a rewatch) but Netflix was got my proxy when I tried to switch to Spain or New Zealand. Feels bad.

Changing to the US still works so there's that.

I hope they starting paying for more worldwide content to compensate for this.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Promise (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Avalanche Sharks (BHorror)
Documentary Now! Season 1 (TV, Comedy)
Ten Thousand Saints (Drama, Comedy)
The Art of Organized Noize (Documentary, Music)
The Forbidden Kingdom (Action, Martial Arts)

Spain:

Crossing Lines Season 3 (TV, Drama, Crime)
Imagine That (Family)
Jackass 3.5: The Unrated Movie (Comedy)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (Action, Fantasy)
Last Holiday (Romantic, Comedy)
Like Crazy (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Little Fockers (Comedy)
Morning Glory (Comedy)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Western)
The Godfather Part III (Drama, Crime)
The Italian Job ('69, Action)
The Lovely Bones (Drama)

Australia:

Collateral (Thriller)
Dinner for Schmucks (Comedy)

Belgium:

Beauty and the Beast ('91, Family)
The Little Mermaid (Family)

Added today:

A Promise (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Avalanche Sharks (BHorror)
Documentary Now! Season 1 (TV, Comedy)
Ten Thousand Saints (Drama, Comedy)
The Art of Organized Noize (Documentary, Music)
The Forbidden Kingdom (Action, Martial Arts)

Spain:

Crossing Lines Season 3 (TV, Drama, Crime)
Imagine That (Family)
Jackass 3.5: The Unrated Movie (Comedy)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (Action, Fantasy)
Last Holiday (Romantic, Comedy)
Like Crazy (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Little Fockers (Comedy)
Morning Glory (Comedy)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Western)
The Godfather Part III (Drama, Crime)
The Italian Job ('69, Action)
The Lovely Bones (Drama)

Australia:

Collateral (Thriller)
Dinner for Schmucks (Comedy)

Belgium:

Beauty and the Beast ('91, Family)
The Little Mermaid (Family)
Entertainment was also added to US today. Wanted to catch that when it was in theaters.

fenners

Dope is, well, dope. Utterly good fun, even when things spin out of their control. Like a mix of 90s hip-hop, a good big dash of 80s films like 'Adventures in Babysitting' & more recent LA gangster films. Really dug this, thanks for the recommendations of it in this thread!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Entertainment (Comedy)
Hi-5 House Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Scroll (Family)
VeggieTales in the House Season 3 (TV, Kids)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

The Assassin (Action, Foreign)

Canada:

Ride Along (Action, Comedy)
Terminator Genisys (Action, SciFi)
The Diabolical (Thriller, SciFi)

UK:

Flubber (Family)
The Anomaly (Action, SciFi)
Top Dog (Thriller)

Japan:

Squid Girl Season 1-2 (Anime)

France:

Contraband (Action, Thriller)

Australia:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Comedy)
Shrink (Indie, Drama)

New Zealand:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Comedy)
Deep Impact (Action, SciFi)
I Love You, Man (Comedy)
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (Comedy)
The Long Ranger (Action, Thriller)
The Muppets ('11, Family)

Belgium:

The Purge: Anarchy (Thriller)

Mexico:

Born to be Wild: Imax (Documentary, Nature)
The Hangover: Part II (Comedy)

Anyone check out the show Fresh Meat? Been watching it, pretty enjoyable for me...
think I literally laughed out loud a few times in the first ep

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Archer Season 6 (TV, Comedy, Danger Zone)
Hard Labor (Thriller, Foreign)
Orion: The Man Who Would Be King (Documentary, Music)
Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Documentary, Social)
Trailer Park Boys Season 10 (TV, Comedy)

Just watched Happy Valley season 2 over the last couple days and loved it. Lots of super tense moments. Wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I think it lived up to my lofty expectations after enjoying season 1 so much. Highly recommended, and truly a great example of quality over quantity (6x hour-long episodes per season).

spoilers...
The cop who killed Vickie.....goddamn. Probably one of the most stressed out characters I've seen in a while. The way he just zoned out into worrying and his weird elated moments when things went his way were great. His storyline was my favorite of the season because of how filled with tension it was.

OraleeWey

I finished (binge) watching Firefly for the first time yesterday. I really enjoyed the show. I had no prior knowledge of the show before watching it except that it ended with one season.

I loved every single episode. I must admit though I skipped like 1/3 of the first episode because I could barely see anything, it was rather dark on my phone. Episode 8 really stood out the most though. It was just awesome to watch. It probably would have been the best episode to end the show with.

Anyway, I know there's a movie, I'll probably watch that soon.

Edit: marking spoilers as well so don't reveal.

I watched the movie as well. rather enjoyed it too. I had no issues with it.

Kinda sad about
Wash's death though.
I felt like it was pointless. But whatever, got no complaints.

tomtom94

I finished (binge) watching Firefly for the first time yesterday. I really enjoyed the show. I had no prior knowledge of the show before watching it except that it ended with one season.

I loved every single episode. I must admit though I skipped like 1/3 of the first episode because I could barely see anything, it was rather dark on my phone. Episode 8 really stood out the most though. It was just awesome to watch. It probably would have been the best episode to end the show with.

Anyway, I know there's a movie, I'll probably watch that soon.

Funnily enough I was just rewatching the show and I thought the same thing, especially since I think the actual finale is somewhat disappointing.

Fortunately, we got Serenity, which is awesome.

Also, UK update today has been very good: 45 Years, Absolutely Anything, The Gift, Looper, The Honorable Woman, Doctor Who Series 8, House of Fools...

and the Twilight films, but I consider that a price worth paying

Leaving April 1st from my list:

Rumble in the Bronx
Intolerable Cruelty

Can't really recommend either. At least Rumble is bad but in an amusing way...

tim.mbp

Rumble in the Bronx is a fantastic movie~

tumblr_lqyl2mU7Y51qjemo2o1_500.gif

ryan299

Anybody got any British sitcom recommendations? I've seen Inbetweeners, IT Crowd, Office, Fresh Meat and a few others. I've become a fan of them and looking for some hidden gems.

Gray Matter

Anybody got any British sitcom recommendations? I've seen Inbetweeners, IT Crowd, Office, Fresh Meat and a few others. I've become a fan of them and looking for some hidden gems.

Scrotal recall is a good one. It just got renewed for season 2.

Also, never mind the title.

tchocky

Peep Show is great. If you have access to non US netflix I would also recommend Blackadder (skip season 1) and Red Dwarf.

Top Bottom