• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Finished watching Sense8 and it was surprising great. Masters of None starts off great but any episode with Rachel as the focal point is fucking awful. I love the supporting cast of the episodes dealing with their relationship is not my thing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/9/11189364/netflix-bright-film-will-smith-david-ayer-suicide-squad

Netflix is close to securing its biggest movie deal yet with a top bid for Bright, a supernatural cop film co-starring Will Smith and Joel Edgerton with Suicide Squad's David Ayer on board to direct. It would be Netflix's most ambitious project to date, with the company footing a rumored budget of between $80 and $100 million and an actor with as much star power as Smith already attached. The news was reported first today by The Hollywood Reporter.

Bright stars Smith as a human cop in a world where fantasy elements are an accepted part of society. Smith is tasked with tracking down a powerful wand and must team up with an orc (Joel Edgerton) to do so. The script is written by Max Landis, who penned the found footage superhero film Chronicle and stoner comedy American Ultra. Just days ago, The Wrap reported that Warner Bros. failed to close a deal for Bright, despite being the studio behind Ayer and Smith’s upcoming film Suicide Squad. If Netflix does close the deal, it could be a huge win for the streaming service and open the gateway for all types of mainstream Hollywood blockbusters.

"Warner Bros. failed to beat Netflix for a top bid on Bright"

One open question, however, is distribution. Netflix has run into troubles with major theater chains who have been reluctant to let the company's movies into theaters the same day they show up online. All four major chains in the US refused to screen last year's Beasts of No Nation, and did the same for the IMAX release of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny. Amazon, on the contrary, has been happy to allow its films to have exclusive theatrical runs before they come to Prime Video, as it did last year with Spike Lee’s Chi-Raq. However, it's very unlikely Netflix nabbed Bright without first hammering out logistics for a theatrical release, as a Smith movie of this magnitude feels too big a project to risk a theater chain boycott.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Digimon Fusion Season 2 (TV, Kids)
The Forbidden Room (Comedy)
The Returned Season 1 (TV, US, Thriller)
Victoria (Drama, Foreign)

France:

9 (Family)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (Comedy)
Basic (Thriller)
Battle Royale (Action, Foreign)
I Could Never Be Your Woman (Romantic, Comedy)
Nine (Romantic, Drama)
Space Chimps 2: Zartog Strikes Back (Family)
Sukiyaki Western Django (Action, Western, Foreign)
The Edge (Action, Thriller)
The Ex (Indie, Comedy)
The Last Kiss (Romantic, Drama)
The Thin Red Line (Drama)

Germany:

All About Eve (Comedy, Drama)

Mexico:

American Pie Presents: Band Camp (Comedy)
Moon Over Parador (Romantic, Comedy)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It's very different from the main series - definitely not just West Coast Walking Dead (at least not yet. It'll probably reach that point eventually). Due to the fact that a good chunk of it is set before the full on outbreak, it's pretty much just a straight up family drama until all hell breaks loose (there are a couple of zombies here and there in the early episodes, patient zeroes if you will, but things don't get crazy until later).

The show hasn't really found its footing yet (the first season is only 6 episodes long, so it's not like they've had a lot of time to figure things out), which makes it hard to fully recommend, but it's also not too bad either. If you're a fan of the main series you might as well give it a shot.

My biggest worry was it just being West Coast Walking Dead. Although, like you said, it will probably reach that point.

The premise is the reason I wanted to watch. Watching the world go to shit has always been great in Zombie movies.

How are the characters? That was my next worry.

I don't care for The Walking Dead but I love Fear the Walking Dead. FTWD seems more dramatic and well scripted and acted. TWD seems low budget in comparison.

That is some high praise!

The last season (the one on Netflix) I thought was pretty bad. I almost ended up calling it quits. It was boring, slow paced, and nothing really happened.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How are the characters? That was my next worry.

The characters (and the acting) have proven to be wildly divisive. The OT here on GAF was one of the most divided I think I've ever seen. Some people love the characters and think they behave more realistically than the ones in The Walking Dead, others think they're much worse (behave dumber, don't act like real people, etc) - one person's favorite character is another's most hated, so it's tough to say where you'll fall on that spectrum.

Personally I thought the characters were decent, but not great. But you also have to remember that the first season is only 6 episodes and none of the main cast of The Walking Dead were all that interesting or fleshed out after only 6 episodes either (which is also how long that show's first season was). There's potential for a lot of different dynamics going forward, and the overall cast is solid, so I have hope that they'll become more interesting as the series progresses.

The characters (and the acting) have proven to be wildly divisive. The OT here on GAF was one of the most divided I think I've ever seen. Some people love the characters and think they behave more realistically than the ones in The Walking Dead, others think they're much worse (behave dumber, don't act like real people, etc) - one person's favorite character is another's most hated, so it's tough to say where you'll fall on that spectrum.

Personally I thought the characters were decent, but not great. But you also have to remember that the first season is only 6 episodes and none of the main cast of The Walking Dead were all that interesting or fleshed out after only 6 episodes either (which is also how long that show's first season was). There's potential for a lot of different dynamics going forward, and the overall cast is solid, so I have hope that they'll become more interesting as the series progresses.

+1 on the divisiveness in the OT. I will say that while I don't hate any of the characters (really, we haven't seen enough of them in what is a confused situation), there is a definite unevenness to the way the characters respond to events. I'd say the writers are struggling with defining the voices of these characters as much as the actors are struggling with it.

I'm hopeful the following season fleshes them out a bit more.

Rattle the Cage (original title Zinzana) was just picked up by Netflix. It's a genre film from Kuwait and has been getting excellent reviews.

It was actually written by my sister's childhood friend and her husband from Atlanta, Georgia. The director found it on a black list site and bought the rights. Pretty cool for them as indie film makers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXsaXhBiu74

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The Devil Is a Part Timer will be off Netflix at the end of the month. It's a great anime if you haven't seen it yet.

El Topo

If you're in Germany, though it seems the same might be true for other regions (such as France), better check your list now. A ton of stuff is going to expire (as soon as tomorrow), as in apparently more than 10% of the catalogue. I'm saying apparently, because...uh...it could actually be more than that throughout the month.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just finished The Heavy Water War. Crazy that one of the dudes depicted is still alive (96)!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-22298739

The only thing that confused me, is that in the last episode
they move the bombing of the ferry from Friday to Sunday, but isn't the bombing dependent on when the water is loaded on? They wouldn't have a say in the date.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Flaked Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Drama, Netflix Original)
Hateship Loveship (Indie, Drama)
Netflix Presents: The Characters (TV, Comedy)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Cruel (Thriller, Foreign)
Halt and Catch Fire Season 2 (TV, Drama)
Popples Season 2 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
The Marriage Chronicles (Romantic, Comedy)

tomtom94

UK just got Winter Soldier and Atlantis. Thank god for the deal with Disney.

Also, I just started watching Orphan Black - can't believe I didn't do so sooner.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
UK just got Winter Soldier and Atlantis. Thank god for the deal with Disney.

Also, I just started watching Orphan Black - can't believe I didn't do so sooner.

Orphan Black has a great first season, but goes off the rails later on. Eventually quit watching early s3.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Thank you for your input.

I will sign up for Hulu's free trail and marathon it over the weekend.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Glitch (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
Hyeomnyeo: Kar-ui gi-eok (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Shelter (Indie, Drama)
The Edge (Action, Thriller)

Spain:

Da Vinci's Demons Season 1-2 (TV, Fantasy)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was never a big fan of Friends, so I only watched the occasional ep here and there. Now that the entire series is on Netflix, I've decided to give it a shot and start from the beginning. Not sure if I'll be able to make it all the way, 8 eps into s1 and it's only decent at its best. Maybe I need to get to later seasons. 234 episodes though...

I immediately recognised Susan as Gretchen from BrBa though, Jessica Hecht

OraleeWey

I was never a big fan of Friends, so I only watched the occasional ep here and there. Now that the entire series is on Netflix, I've decided to give it a shot and start from the beginning. Not sure if I'll be able to make it all the way, 8 eps into s1 and it's only decent at its best. Maybe I need to get to later seasons. 234 episodes though...

The DVD version of Friends has about 3 more minutes per episode.

I didn't know what Friends was when my match teacher way back used to talk about it commonly. Then out of no where I noticed it was on Netflix and it hit me, it was a TV show. Anyway, I decided to give it a try and watch the pilot. I enjoyed it and I was hooked. Then eventually I found out that the DVD version of Friends has about 3 minutes more per episode. If I remember correctly. I think you'll enjoy it better if you had those extra 3 more minutes.

The brand new Friends: The Complete Series Blu-ray set boasts more than 20 hours of bonus material, including three hours of never-before-seen features, but it's what's missing from the collection that has some fans disappointed: deleted footage.

The extras were included in previously released DVD versions of Friends, but producers opted to only feature the original broadcast episodes of the show on Blu-ray. "[The Blu-ray set is] more about seeing them again in a new way," co-executive producer/director Kevin S. Bright told TVGuide.com last week.

link

torontoml

Posted earlier:

Someone in the DNS thread said they asked and got one.

well guess that was before it really stopped working, they won't even respond to my emails anymore. Guess I'm stuck with it until it runs out next January. Maybe it'll come back at some point.

I watched them all last year with my lady. Totally great experience because I hadn't seen a single episode previously.

tomtom94

So I've been trying to use Amazon Prime a bit more since I've got six more months and realised that the reason I don't use it is just that their UI isn't conducive to browsing in the same way Netflix is. They have some good content but it's hard to find it.

Top Bottom