• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Probably a dumb question, but I just started using Netflix recently, is there a way to view all titles in a category? I was looking through the anime section, and it showed me about 80 titles, but I was searching for something else and Ikkitousen showed up. Which is not something I wanted to watch, but it didn't show up under the general anime category so I'm wondering how many other titles are on there that I don't know about.

Probably a dumb question, but I just started using Netflix recently, is there a way to view all titles in a category? I was looking through the anime section, and it showed me about 80 titles, but I was searching for something else and Ikkitousen showed up. Which is not something I wanted to watch, but it didn't show up under the general anime category so I'm wondering how many other titles are on there that I don't know about.

If you choose "A-Z" in a genre category you should get the full list of titles. But Netflix has some tagging bugs. Here is the full list of anime in the US:

https://flixsearch.io/genres/anime/42?subtitle=&language=&country=4&media_type=&sort=

As far as I can tell "Ikki Tousen" and "Eureka 7" are the only ones that don't show up on the Netflix list. They probably aren't tagged correctly for genre search.

I watched all of Fried s1 today (only 6 eps) it's a pretty entertaining show. It's a bbc comedy show. If you liked inbetweeners or Freshmeat I think you might like this.

partime

Watched Melancholia last night, recommended from another thread.

melancholia_01.jpg

For those wanting a deeper understanding of someone with depression, this movie hits home. Oh, and the world is ending as well. This is definitely the opposite of Seeking a Friend for the end of the world.

Laekon

Has anyone watched the Detectorists? I think it's a BBC show since it's British and only 6 episodes in the season. Can't say exactly what I like about it but its pretty amusing.

Watched Melancholia last night, recommended from another thread.

For those wanting a deeper understanding of someone with depression, this movie hits home. Oh, and the world is ending as well. This is definitely the opposite of Seeking a Friend for the end of the world.

Yeah Melancholia is great. There's some weird dark humor going on too. Kiefer Sutherland hams it up pretty good in the second half.

fenners

Has anyone watched the Detectorists? I think it's a BBC show since it's British and only 6 episodes in the season. Can't say exactly what I like about it but its pretty amusing.

I utterly love it.

It's calm, low key, happy to let the actors just sit under a tree in a field, and features two top notch lead actors. Totally not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but it's got a wry low key humour to it that I love.

There's a second series + Christmas special too, just not on Netflix US yet.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The charge would depend on the day you upgrade. What I mean is, since we are already 10 days into the month, they would charge you the price of the upgrade minus the 10 days (since you didn't use it).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Standup Guy (Indie, Comedy)
Eisentein in Guanajuato (Comedy, Gay & Lesbian, Foreign)
Friends and Romans (Comedy)
The Chosen Ones (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Sunday Ball (Documentary, Sports, Foreign)

Canada:

London Spy Season 1 (TV, Thriller, Netflix Original)

UK:

Bad Neighbors (Comedy)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 11 (TV, Comedy)
Red Army (Documentary, Historical)

Kaladin

I started Girl Meets World Season 2.

Season 1 kind of felt like it skipped most of the Disneyness of a typical Disney kids show, but Season 2 kind of amps it up and I don't know if I will continue.

Alphahawk

Does the first episode of "Chelsea" come out tonight or tomorrow night? I know that the show is scheduled for the 11th but I also read that it will be uploaded daily after 12 and I was just wondering what metric they were using (11th in the east coast or the 11th everywhere?)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Camino (Action, Thriller)
Chelsea Season 1 (TV, Talk Show, Netflix Original) *Episodes added Wed-Thurs.
La Mujer de Mi Hermano (Drama, Romantic, Foreign)
Goosebumps (Family)
They Look Like People (Indie, Thriller)

Canada:

End of Days (Horror, Supernatural)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Comedy)
How High (Comedy)
The Land Before Time 1,5 (Family)
The Legend of Korra Season Book Three-Four (TV, Kids)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just watched Chelsea.

Not the best introduction to her new show, but I'm looking forward to more and hoping it improves here on out.

Cade

They Look Like People is incredible. Just watched it earlier today after reading some positive buzz, and damn. Watch it if you're into horror/suspense at all or even just good character performances and some unsettling imagery.

Damn.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They Look Like People is incredible. Just watched it earlier today after reading some positive buzz, and damn. Watch it if you're into horror/suspense at all or even just good character performances and some unsettling imagery.

Damn.

When I read the description, I added it to my Q, since it sounded interesting. I will watch it later tonight.

Is there something like unogs.com but for show removals?
Eg. "[show] will be leave Netflix on [date] in [countries]"?
Does Netflix API even allow for that type of data retrieval?

El Topo

Unogs shows you which shows are about to leave in the near future for each country, including an estimated date of removal. If you search for a movie, you will see where it is available and if it will expire soon.
Their information about shows/movies leaving is not perfectly reliable though, as there are plenty of false positives.

Damn.

I watched it. It was awesome.

Kaladin

Wanted to pass along Netflix's official release date website:

https://media.netflix.com/en/only-on-netflix#/new?page=1

Its only for their original content.

Travelers

Hundreds of years from now, the last surviving humans discover the means of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century. These "travelers" assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. These travelers are: FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren (Eric McCormack), the team's leader; Marcy (Mackenzie Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Patrick Gilmore); Trevor (Jared Paul Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Nesta Marlee Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Reilly Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student. Armed only with their knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions.

Never heard of this before, but it sounds amazing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Really looking forward to these two:

Stranger Things

A love letter to the ’80s classics that captivated a generation, Stranger Things is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

The Get Down

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bleeding Heart (Drama)
Scream Season 1 (TV, Thriller)
Sebastian Maniscalco: Aren't You Embarrassed? (Standup)
Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview (TV, Documentary)
The Kids Menu (TV, Food)
The Lady in the Car with the Glasses and a Gun (Thriller, Foreign)

So how does the rating system work exactly? I was under the impression it was supposed to be based on how much Netflix thinks I'll enjoy a movie, but then why do some of the movies in my top picks have one star? Do they think I'll enjoy it or not?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So how does the rating system work exactly? I was under the impression it was supposed to be based on how much Netflix thinks I'll enjoy a movie, but then why do some of the movies in my top picks have one star? Do they think I'll enjoy it or not?

Probably:

- You liked a similar movie/show.
- You enjoyed movies/shows with the Actors/Actresses.
- The movie is directed by a director whose movies you liked.
- Written by people whose movies/shows you liked.
- What other users with similar tastes to yours have liked.

I believe the Red star ratings are the average rating from Netflix users. Netflix thinks you'll like it for any number of reasons but the Red stars have nothing to do with you specifically.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Added today:

Bleeding Heart (Drama)
Scream Season 1 (TV, Thriller)
Sebastian Maniscalco: Aren't You Embarrassed? (Standup)
Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview (TV, Documentary)
The Kids Menu (TV, Food)
The Lady in the Car with the Glasses and a Gun (Thriller, Foreign)

Pilot was ok...but it got super dumb super quick.

gamz

I watched We are Twisted Fucking Sister doc on Saturday. I'm a sucker for rock and roll docs and this was surprisingly pretty good. I had no idea they started in 1971 and it took them a long time for stardom in the 80's. I always thought they just got together in the 80's. Good doc on a struggling band finally getting a break.

Good shit.

Asbel

Wow. Just finished Grace and Frankie season 2. This show is just fun to watch yet deals with serious issues artfully. And I get that the drama comes quick to keep from dull moments but I can see a lot of these being real problems with relationships, family and friends. And what an amazing mic drop ending by these fucking girls.

Top Bottom