• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah I'm really curious about Bloodline s2. The first season was incredible and how it wrapped felt like a miniseries, until they pushed some last minute hooks in there for a follow-up. It'll be very impressive if it manages to be any good.

Karu

Yeah I'm really curious about Bloodline s2. The first season was incredible and how it wrapped felt like a miniseries, until they pushed some last minute hooks in there for a follow-up. It'll be very impressive if it manages to be any good.
I liked the show because first and foremost the cast is absolutely incredible, but... that end scene was Soap-level of shit. We will see... if anything the cast will carry me through no matter what.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Came across this thread that said, for the Netflix show Kong: King of the Apes, special videos are ocked until you watch the previous episode. And there are achievements you "unlock" when you watch an episode. The special videos are battles between Kong and another fighter.

yvNHpXF.png

Edit :

When you watch the episode, this pops up:

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finally got around to watching Better Call Saul. First episode was kinda slow, but I liked it. Going to keep watching.

I'm digging the Netflix Original anime called "Ajin". It's got a dark and gritty look to it that I find pleasing. As someone who doesn't watch a lot of anime anymore I gotta say this one grabbed me. It's got an interesting premise and has a great sense of urgency. Not bad.

sfedai0

Banned
Ive been out of anime for awhile mainly because most anime these days focus too much on fanservice and young schoolgirls, but Ajin hit the spot. Intriguing premise and violent as hell.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Democrats (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
Fan Girl (Comedy)
Kevin from Work Season 1 (TV, Comedy)
Firewall (Thriller, crime)
Minions (Family)
We Are Twisted Fucking Sister (Documentary, Music)

Cfh123

I've starting watching the Legend of Korra and have been impressed. Strong female lead who is not sexualized. Interesting villain. Good animation quality.

I'm not familiar with the previous serious which I've heard is very good but it is not on Netflix.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I started watching Freaks and Geeks. First time watching it, and I'm loving it. Bill's character is my favorite. Their whole click reminds me of my group from back in the day.

I started watching Freaks and Geeks. First time watching it, and I'm loving it. Bill's character is my favorite. Their whole click reminds me of my group from back in the day.

Oh man, just wait until you get to the Bill grilled cheese scene. One of the best scenes in TV IMO.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Doesn't matter that Freaks and Geeks is only 1 season, it's definitely in my all time tv top 5. I never get bored rewatching it. Every episode is perfect

tomtom94

Either Disney are playing hardball on a renegotiation or they're withdrawing all their content to promote their own service, but apparently every Disney film on Netflix UK - even the ones that have only been up since the start of the month - is leaving in a couple of weeks.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Begin Again (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
Hotel Transylvania 2 (Family)

France:

Mars Attack (Comedy, SciFi)
Singin' in the Rain (Musical)
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Comedy)
The Forest (Horror)

Germany:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Indie, Drama)

New Zealand:

Bad Company (Action, Thriller)

Mexico:

Goodfellas (Crime, Drama)

Sweden:

Appleseed: Ex Machina (Anime)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Kids)

kuppy

I hope in a couple of years time, there will be no regions on Netflix. Surely they will try to renegotiate global deals.
Sounds promising.
A move like that should bring a whole lot of older movies to the catalogue. It is a shame Hitchcock films aren't available on Netflix.

But how even transition to a model like that. They would have to leave many current deals lapse in order to have the funds for a couple new global ones. Which would leave too many customers unhappy for too long till there is something remotely comparable to previous selections.

Netflix pushing to be a service worldwide surely indicates such a move, but I don't see it being practically realizable and therefore happening. And a new startup based on that model wouldn't have the resources to get attention and couldn't grow to gain any.

So who if not Netflix.
I would love to live in a world of one awesome global Netflix catalogue.

Stackboy

Sounds promising.
A move like that should bring a whole lot of older movies to the catalogue. It is a shame Hitchcock films aren't available on Netflix.

But how even transition to a model like that. They would have to leave many current deals lapse in order to have the funds for a couple new global ones. Which would leave too many customers unhappy for too long till there is something remotely comparable to previous selections.

Netflix pushing to be a service worldwide surely indicates such a move, but I don't see it being practically realizable and therefore happening. And a new startup based on that model wouldn't have the resources to get attention and couldn't grow to gain any.

So who if not Netflix.
I would love to live in a world of one awesome global Netflix catalogue.

Now that they are global I would imagine if they keep being profitable this way it's possible in about 5 years.

El Topo

Now that they are global I would imagine if they keep being profitable this way it's possible in about 5 years.

Not going to happen. There are plenty of legal and practical obstacles, even if they truly wanted a regionfree Netflix. Not in five years, that is a pipe dream, if it is actually desirable.

RedAssedApe

Banned
even if it were possible for them to be region free, subscription fees would be wayyyyy higher which at some point wouldn't be worth it because they would lose subscribers after a certain price points. i mean look at how many people threaten to unsubscribe for a bump to 9.99 lol

El Topo

even if it were possible for them to be region free, subscription fees would be wayyyyy higher which at some point wouldn't be worth it because they would lose subscribers after a certain price points. i mean look at how many people threaten to unsubscribe for a bump to 9.99 lol

The only way they could ever be regionfree is by cutting all content that they cannot get a worldwide license for and/or that is not appropriate for all regions. This means they would have to restrict themselves to a tiny amount of (relatively new) 3rd party content and some (not even all) of their "own" original shows, excluding e.g. House of Cards (as in some countries others hold the rights). Even if we assume that they start trying to get more and more global licenses, that studios and other companies allow this to happen, that there are no legal obstacles, that it makes sense, even then it would still take ages and the library would look nothing like the current.

You're not going to get a bigger library if they go regionfree, you're going to get something that has maybe 15% of the US library. Probably not the good 15%.

berzeli

Banned
Stellar cast announced as classic novel Watership Down lives on with new mini-series
Produced and developed by 42 and Noam Murro, the show was commissioned by the BBC and is a co-production between BBC One and Netflix. The series will bring an innovative interpretation to Richard Adams’ bestselling story.
Beloved novel Watership Down will continue its adventure as today BBC One and Netflix announce the classic tale will be reinterpreted into a four-part animated mini-series set to air in 2017. The series will premiere on BBC One in the UK; and worldwide, outside of the UK, on Netflix.

Set in the idyllic rural landscape of southern England, this tale of adventure, courage and survival follows a band of rabbits on their flight from the intrusion of man and the certain destruction of their home. Led by a stouthearted pair of brothers, they journey forth from their native Sandleford Warren through the harrowing trials posed by predators and adversaries, towards a promised land and a more perfect society.

The series, written by Tom Bidwell (Bafta-nominated My Mad Fat Diary) and directed by Noam Murro (300: Rise Of The Empire), will star James McAvoy (Filth, X-Men) as Hazel, Nicholas Hoult (Mad Max: Fury Road, X-Men) as Fiver, award-winning Sir Ben Kingsley (Shutter Island, Iron Man 3) as General Woundwort, John Boyega (Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens, Attack The Block) as Bigwig, Gemma Arterton (Made In Dagenham) as Clover, Miles Jupp (Rev, The Thick Of It) as Blackberry, Freddie Fox (Pride) as Captain Holly, Olivia Colman (The Night Manager, The Lobster) as Strawberry, and Anne-Marie Duff (Suffragette) as Hyzenthlay.

The 4 x 60’ series is a co-production between BBC One and Netflix and produced by 42 and Noam Murro’s company Biscuit Films.

Uh, yes please.
Quite interesting to see the interplay between the UK networks and Netflix.

Added today:

Begin Again (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
Hotel Transylvania 2 (Family)

France:

Mars Attack (Comedy, SciFi)
Singin' in the Rain (Musical)
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Comedy)
The Forest (Horror)

Germany:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Indie, Drama)

New Zealand:

Bad Company (Action, Thriller)

Mexico:

Goodfellas (Crime, Drama)

Sweden:

Appleseed: Ex Machina (Anime)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Kids)

never seen Goodfellas before, think i'll finally get to it

Esiquio

Just watched Get The Gringo, a surprisingly enjoyable movie. And damn is Mel Gibson a good actor, wish he was in more stuff recently.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So what is the VPN situation now guys? I stopped using Ad-Free Time when it stopped working.

Netflix has all, but killed the VPN scene. You might have some luck with a full-blown VPN service. DNS blocker like Ad-Free Time however, you will not have any luck. Those will definitely not work.

Xater

Netflix has all, but killed the VPN scene. You might have some luck with a full-blown VPN service. DNS blocker like Ad-Free Time however, you will not have any luck. Those will definitely not work.

Oh well. It was great while it lasted.

kiguel182

Getflicks works with the UK and US. They found a way to circumvent Netflix.

If I hadn't bought a yearly sub I wouldn't have renewed it and, honestly, even if the content on my Netflix is weaker than other places it's enough for me right now.

kuppy

SmartDNSProxy has engineers constantly adapting to the newest changes, see their twitter. It was actually quite intriguing seeing them push again and again to be still working while other services couldn't. But it definitely presses the question when it will no longer be lucrative to fight that fight.

All the 2.x countries worked last I checked (edit: I am just using the Apple TV 4 with DNS settings, no static IP or so), which are USA, Canada, UK, Australia, France, Germany and Netherlands.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Africa Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Nature)
Burning Bodhi (Indie, Drama)
Danger Mouse Season 1 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
Hellion (Indie, Drama)
Lucky Then (Indie, Drama)
Premature (Indie, Comedy)
Restaurant Australia Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Social)
Special Correspondents (Comedy, Netflix Original)
Team Foxcatcher (Documentary, Crime, Netflix Original)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Getflicks works with the UK and US. They found a way to circumvent Netflix.

If I hadn't bought a yearly sub I wouldn't have renewed it and, honestly, even if the content on my Netflix is weaker than other places it's enough for me right now.

SmartDNSProxy has engineers constantly adapting to the newest changes, see their twitter. It was actually quite intriguing seeing them push again and again to be still working while other services couldn't. But it definitely presses the question when it will no longer be lucrative to fight that fight.

All the 2.x countries worked last I checked (edit: I am just using the Apple TV 4 with DNS settings, no static IP or so), which are USA, Canada, UK, Australia, France, Germany and Netherlands.

I will have to check those two out. I remember reading the in the Netflix Proxy thread that Getflicks stopped working.

It will be interesting to see if Smart can keep it up.

Top Bottom